Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Choptop 5'10", anyone have an opinion?

Created by Puetz > 9 months ago, 31 Oct 2011
Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
31 Oct 2011 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

G'day All,

does anyone have opinions on the bigger Choptop in particular the 5'10" or do you know of any reviews you could point me towards?

Thanks for your time,

cheers,

Robbie

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
2 Nov 2011 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

... bump!

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
2 Nov 2011 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Puetz said...

G'day All,

does anyone have opinions on the bigger Choptop in particular the 5'10" or do you know of any reviews you could point me towards?

Thanks for your time,

cheers,

Robbie

105kg have the wide 5 10.

Great fun board surfed surprisingly well for its width. Got it to use on light days was very impressed.

Too loose as a quad the thruster set up worked best for me.

Use it strapless instead of a skimboard. Handful if the wind picks up. Not as good upwind as a skimboard due to the rocker in it.

truster
WA, 83 posts
2 Nov 2011 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

Puetz said...

G'day All,

Thanks for your time,

cheers,

Robbie

Great fun board surfed surprisingly well for its width. Got it to use on light days was very impressed.

Use it strapless instead of a skimboard. Handful if the wind picks up. Not as good upwind as a skimboard due to the rocker in it.

Is that the 2012 5'10 LW, 22.8" wide? That wide, is it manageable in the surf?

Schmidy
WA, 47 posts
4 Nov 2011 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys,

I have been paddling the Choptop 5'10 for a few weeks now in the thruster set up.
I am not an epic surfer but i do surf waist to chest waves on it and its fantastic. I live in cape town right in front of a longboard break and now i completely ditched the LB and strictly use the choptop. Yeah its got some width to it but even for my short T-rex arms i can still get some good paddling power.

for kiting ive used it in some pretty marginal winds with a lithium 14lw and like hilly says, its good fun in lightwinds and easy to flip around for strapless tricks. super easy and stable.
Cheers
Schmidy

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
4 Nov 2011 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

... thanks guys sounding good so far!

Another question, have you used the board in high-ish winds or how does it handle the rougher water?

I have a Sector 60 and its light wind abilities is second to none but to my surprise it has a good top end too and bugger me it goes okay in waves So, does the 5'10" have the same traites but with obviously better wave skills. Is the 5'10" too close to the Sector 60?? I know its hard to answer if you don't know the Sector, maybe you can logic your way to an opinion??

Thanks,

Robbie

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
4 Nov 2011 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 2011 LW as I said goes good in light wind but I pull out the surfboard in decent wind. At 22+ inches it is never going to work in 18 knots + gets a bit bouncy

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
5 Nov 2011 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

... no worries, thanks for that!

truster
WA, 83 posts
6 Nov 2011 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Robbie

how dose it go upwind compered with surfboards(medium-large)

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
6 Nov 2011 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

truster said...

Robbie

Goes upwind like a surfboard but in lighter winds. When the wind picks up enough for a surfboard I am struggling to hold an edge due to the width.

It is much better than I thought it would be I must say. When I first saw it I went 'no way' that's too wide to work, but it does in the right (light) conditions it was designed for.

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
8 Nov 2011 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

truster said...

Robbie

Goes upwind like a surfboard but in lighter winds. When the wind picks up enough for a surfboard I am struggling to hold an edge due to the width.

It is much better than I thought it would be I must say. When I first saw it I went 'no way' that's too wide to work, but it does in the right (light) conditions it was designed for.

... since the choptop is designed for small waves and can be very tightly turned, does it become too snappy in the turns, especially for he in-experienced? Would you have to work too hard to get a nice drawn out carve out of it and would a surfboard be better for said carve? I suspect that my style might not suit the choptop as I like to ride powered when I'm in waves (hence why I ride a twintip in waves at the moment)??

Thanks for your opinion,

cheers,

Robbie

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
8 Nov 2011 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Puetz said...

hilly said...

truster said...

Robbie

Think you are right not good flying down the line at Mack 1
... since the choptop is designed for small waves and can be very tightly turned, does it become too snappy in the turns, especially for he in-experienced? Would you have to work too hard to get a nice drawn out carve out of it and would a surfboard be better for said carve? I suspect that my style might not suit the choptop as I like to ride powered when I'm in waves (hence why I ride a twintip in waves at the moment)??

Thanks for your opinion,

cheers,

Robbie

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
9 Nov 2011 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Robbie,
I've got a 2011 and love it.

I use it upto 15 knots before swapping over. For me it's pretty good in fattish waves to chest high.

It doesn't have the snap but carves out a jibe really nicely. I find leaving my back foot out of the strap and toe/heel is the way to get the best out of her.

I use it alot in choppy waters. it can become a hand full but with 115kg pushing it around I don't see that begin to much of a problem.

Up wind!! there are alot better boards around but I'm not complaining.

She a keeper for me.

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
9 Nov 2011 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

G'day High,

thanks for that. Like most people looking for a board, you want something that can do it all and I know its not really possible but trying to minimize the problem area's is what I am really trying to find out here.

Since I'm heavy I can push boards around pretty easy, like I do with my Sector but the Sector is too much when the waves get bigger so hence the hunt for a Sector-ish board that has the ability to turn like a surfboard,,, but I don't want it to snap around too fast and be squirriley, or worse, you can't carve it. Again, hard to ask a lot of a board but if the Choptop can do it then it may be up my alley.

I already have a surfboard but it needs 18 + to be fun (bought it without knowing what I wanted) and looking for real world every day type of stuff with sh!tty onshore waves.

Would be really nice if I could try one. Anyway, cheers for info!

Robbie.

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
9 Nov 2011 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

bennie said...

hey Peutz,
Reading this thread I just remembered this new board I saw online the other day. Its called the transport, and is supposed to be a cross between a race board and a surfboard. I have no idea whether it's any good, but It sounds like the type of board your after.

Heres the link
http://www.kitepower.com.au/cabrinha-transport-2012.html

... thanks mate looks interesting!

truster
WA, 83 posts
19 Nov 2011 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

5'10 choptop 2012, is it available in Australia, how much it go's for active option

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Choptop 5'10", anyone have an opinion?" started by Puetz