windtzu
93 posts
4 Jun 2013 1:25AM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 160 lbs / 72 kg - Intermediate
Style: Freeriding, Surf
Weather: 19-30 knots
Disclosure: Team Rider for my Dad - lol

My Dad who makes beautiful custom Cedar Strip Kayaks, just made me a Cedar Strip Mako 140 copy.

It's bombproof cedar strip construction - epoxy and fiberglass, with a UV protected poly finish, and stainless steel inserts impregnated in an epoxy high density filler mix base. I informed my Dad, whatever you do, just make sure the inserts never come out. ;)

It weighs in at 5 lb 4 oz. The original Mako is 5 lbs 8 oz. The stiffness on both boards is nearly identical.

img]

Working with wood doesn't always produce an exact likeness when you're twisting, bending, and curving wood strips, so the Mako copy ended up with slightly less rocker, rounder rails, a 1/4" (.63 cm) narrower, 1/2" (1.27 cm) longer, and slightly more concave. The owner of the Mako 140 original, who's board we copied, rode the cedar strip Mako back to back with the original. We both agree the woody Mako ride is almost identical. The most notable difference is a looser feel (softer rails on the woody) and yet more lively (perhaps due to slightly less rocker). We both enjoyed the slightly more "alive" feel verses the original. It also seemed to go upwind even better, although this is hard to quantify after a few rides, and it certainly climbed upwind better than the rest of the pack I was riding with. Other than this all the same Mako character, great in chop, smooth, controlled, surfy feel, etc.

I've ridden it for three sessions. In my last two sessions, I was fortunate enough to have it out in perfect test conditions. One was a 9 meter session with a westerly wind at First Encounter Beach in Eastham, Ma (Cape Cod). The chop was horrendous and more like standing waves. Even my normally smooth and controlled Shinn Dundee was having a rough time. The woody Mako just rolled along smooth and controlled. Under those conditions it's probably one of the few boards that you could comfortably ride.

The last time was at W. Dennis Beach Cape Cod. The wind was increasing during the afternoon. I started on a 9 meter Lithium and finished with a 7 m Cabrinha Vector. It was a perfect day, low tide, average choppy conditions with waist high rollers, and of course lot's of wind. I played with my three boards, an Airush Cypher 5'6", my Shinn Dundee 133 x 42, and the woody Mako 140. When the wind picked up too much for the Dundee and the surfboard, the Mako woody was the call with the 9 meter. Finally, when I was too lit on the 9 Lithium, I used the 7 m Cab. Vector along with the Mako. I find myself desiring to ride the Airush Cypher (strapless) more and more, but when the wind and water is whipping up, the Mako is a great substitute, aka - Fun!

The Mako design is unique and there doesn't seem anything you can really compare it too. At first I wasn't sure I cared for it...Originally I thought it was a pig, couldn't get it to go upwind, didn't carve turns very well, mushy feel. Now that I've "adjusted" to the proper way of riding it, it's anything but. It just needs power and it will go upwind as well and better than most tt's out there, carves nicely, and is actually quite lively but in a more controlled sporty Cadillac ride-feel. As I mentioned before, the wood copy seems a bit livelier.

I attached some photos. Keep in mind it's quality crafted but my Dad didn't use things like vacuum bagging so the finish is what you'd see on "boat." It isn't the slick finish of a mass produced product and has it's hand crafted imperfections but this doesn't distract from it's strength, quality, or beauty. It reminds me of the old classic Chris Craft boats from the 1920's.

My Dad may be interested in making a few customs, now that he can possibly make up to $4.00 an hour building kiteboards verses the time & effort when building a cedar strip kayak at a profit $1.50 an hour - lol. Dad's retired and it's more about doing the things he loves.

My Dad's name is Guy, and I created a logo for him if he decides to take on any requests to build another.

I'd love any feedback on the Mako and construction tips by other board builders out there.

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
4 Jun 2013 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Your dad is a champ! Nice build, nice look and best of all, it's one of a kind. Consider yourself to be one lucky dude to have a dad that works with his hands and takes the time to do something nice for his kid. Love the rocker in it, but mostly I love the cedar. Once of my favorite smells. The control room in my recording studio has a wall of raw cedar, and after not being in there working for a few weeks or so, when I open the door I am greeted by this waft of heaven.
Thanks for sharing this build....

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
4 Jun 2013 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh man love it!

seb2
VIC, 231 posts
4 Jun 2013 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome!

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
4 Jun 2013 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one - love the wood look anywhere anytime.
Toyed with the idea of making myself a sheok board but all round just too hard.
Totally agree with dafish - he must be a great dad to do something like that for you.
Ride it to death then reno it as wall hanging - straight to the poolroom.

But disgusting to be advertising free here for some entrepeneur out to make a fortune

WA, 1255 posts
4 Jun 2013 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

whats with the toy mouse?

Plummet
4862 posts
4 Jun 2013 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Very sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Learn that art buddy.
Extract your dads knowledge and start building yourself.

PS I'm trying to be that dad.

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
4 Jun 2013 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Dude you even got your new car in that shot!! Nice work by the way on the skateboard my daughter would kill for one of those. I won't be showing her as this will make my obviously poor workmanship skills come to the Surface. Lol

Plummet
4862 posts
4 Jun 2013 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hehe I didn't realise that till after the upload.

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
5 Jun 2013 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Another cool dad rises to the occasion. Nice board Plummet, your daughters smile says it all...

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
5 Jun 2013 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

I glued one of my daughters toys back together the other day does that count? Lol!!!

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
5 Jun 2013 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Great graphics for a young girls skateboard Plummet!
I have an Emma daughter too.

Cheers

Plummet
4862 posts
5 Jun 2013 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers men. Now lets get back to this fruity vlam board. Got any vids or action pic's.

windtzu
93 posts
5 Jun 2013 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Videos? I have one Gopro helmet cam session from the woody's maiden voyage; although, I'm afraid it's not all that exciting. The helmet mount provides only a little board action and it's thirty minutes of unedited "mowing the lawn" sans any Metallica background music, with just my personal on the water narration. lol However if you're up for it here it is:

Cheers guys! Btw, thanks for the kind words and I'll forward the comments to my Dad.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Custom "Woody" Cedar Strip Mako 140" started by windtzu