Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

NORTH D I C E 2014

Created by sci > 9 months ago, 2 Sep 2013
Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
30 Nov 2013 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

The main difference is 2m and 4 line is much better.

lovelife
SA, 160 posts
30 Nov 2013 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

well besides the obvious "it is 2 meters longer" what benefits does it give to have longer vs. shorter lines?? just saying something is better doesnt convince me unless it is backed up by some reasons as to why you think that.

Glokite
WA, 119 posts
30 Nov 2013 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said...
I have to be careful here...my opinions, these are not facts.

Okay, I will compare the 8m. Low end about the same, maybe the cat a tad lower. A knot lower. Top end no competition, the cat didn't like its top end much, got real punchy. Anywhere over 25 was a mind fck. Especially if gusty conditions. Its like the C in it was magnified! Dice hold its form and handles gusts much better. Been out in 30 knots and could have gone more.

Power, considerably smoother on the dice. Cat higher bar pressure, delay in turning, then wham you'd get a power spike across the window. Dice comes on smooth and linear. Will the cat turn when depowered, no. Does it drift, kind of not really. Maybe some. Does the dice do all these, yes. Apparent wind build up...mmm similar, dice flies a little more forward in the window at first, then settles back.

Jumping, mmm similar. More float on the dice though. I can get higher on the dice though, the power delivery is so linear you can really dial in the load and release. But the cat can go.

Did I like the cat? in the end, no. Is this the reason i went to the dice? yes. do i think ozone have it wrong having such a gap between the cat (a pretend C4) and the full blown race kite?, yes. do most disagree with me,? yes. do i care? no, becuase otherwise i wouldnt have tried the dice.

Hence these opinions are biased and so take no notice whatsoever.

Look the dice is not the holy grail of kites, its just a bloody great wing that suites where I'm at at the moment. I still dearly miss my edge for power, height and glide. But those days are over.

So get out there and fly them all and don't listen to flog bags like me and all the other pricks banging on about kites. Use your own time like I did and find out what suites you at this point in time. Also open your mind to different brands, most make bloody great kites with specific feels. Find the right one for you.

I kinda understand where you are at here, I kinda like my Cat being kinda punchy and all when the winds get a bit much for the 12m, it makes me feel alive lol it's delay turning doest bother me coz the 2010 zephyr I got is slow too so it kinda crosses over nicely ha ha so I'm kinda happy with "ill pull that bar hard one side" and let it rip and as a beginner its not too bad getting used to the way the kite flies lol

Main
QLD, 2327 posts
1 Dec 2013 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

does anyone know why the dice doesn't completely flag out ?

had an issue in the surf when the onshore wind died and i had to completely bail the kite to stop a wave splitting it. because it didnt flag out it sat up catching waves and dragging me underwater...

or does my kite need a tune ?

wetdog
3 posts
3 Dec 2013 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Main said..

does anyone know why the dice doesn't completely flag out ?

had an issue in the surf when the onshore wind died and i had to completely bail the kite to stop a wave splitting it. because it didnt flag out it sat up catching waves and dragging me underwater...

or does my kite need a tune ?

Probably because it doesn't flag on a single front line.

steely
WA, 32 posts
6 Dec 2013 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

New dices go sweet, i rode a prototype in hawaii about 6 weeks ago and then came home and got my hands on the finished product!! i was using it a 4 line in maui but decided on the 5th line as my kite for home!! i kite solo pretty regular so i reckon the 5th line is such a peace of mind when landing in winter and even even summer days!! as for power between the two they say 4 line is more grunty??? i don't see how this is possible, there definitely not as good low end as your rebels/evo, and fly completely different.. I'm purely waves and wow can this kite turn, its super smooth and so far forward through the window and just sits at 12, with almost no pull i do find it harder to get power back out of it once youve done your top turn, as compared to a rebel/evo, but it keeps you super close to the pocket i guess you have to adjust your style a little!! as for power its a notch above the neo's and down from the rebels!! all in all its a pretty nice kite to fly and it looks pretty nice sitting underneath it! ill be riding them until the new neo gets released early in the year, from what I've heard there beefed up dices!! just to throw some confusion in the range haha heres some from maui..

boatramp
WA, 6 posts
19 Dec 2013 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Am I the only one who finds the Dice heavy on the bar?

Spark
WA, 208 posts
19 Dec 2013 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boatramp said..

I find my 12 on the hard setting noticeably more heavy than on the soft setting and definitely the 12 on the hard setting more heavy than my 9 on either.

But never unmanageable or to the point where I wish it was less.

I ride with a guy who used to go sit on the beach for 5/10 minutes on his old kites because he needed a rest from the pressure for some reason (sore wrists/shoulders or something along those lines) now he's on the dice and has no problem with 2 hour+ sessions.

Westy350
WA, 2 posts
19 Dec 2013 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting myself a couple of these kites was wondering if you think I would be able to get away with a 7m & 10m or should I go a 8m & 11m riding a 6" north wam and keeping in mind i'm a heavy bugger weigh 95kgs. Usually kite anywhere from perth-Gero. Cheers.

eppo
WA, 9449 posts
19 Dec 2013 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

That's a hard one. But at your weight 11, 8. Even a 12, 9 combo might be best if you are a le to leave some of the big wind days alone. If not 11 8 for sure.

burnsy11
WA, 122 posts
19 Dec 2013 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Like Eppo said Westy go the 9 & 12 - I too ride a 6" Wam weigh 100kg & I have the 8,10 & 12. Had the 8 out in 28-34kts & could have easily ridden the 10 which i would have preferred the extra low end power - however the 8 was a lot of fun. I have used the 12 a fair bit & its my fav. The low end static power of the Dice is considerably lower than say a Rebel or Fuse however once you dial in to the dice you can generate quite a bit from it. Great Kite.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
19 Dec 2013 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boatramp said..

i was speaking to a local legend here who has just traded up to the Dices (7/9/12) from 2008 Rhino's???
he had a 5 hour session this arvo and couldn't believe light bar pressure (all relative i guess?).
"these Dice's have given me another 10 years in kiting", haha direct quote.
pretty sure he is stoked with the kites.

Nath
WA, 113 posts
19 Dec 2013 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

These kites ticked even more boxes for us this week. We've had a few light wind days lately so a good chance to test out low end capabilities of the kites. The first surprise was to be using a 10m Dice fairly comfortably on a 5'11" pro series in about 13-15knts while the only other kites out were 15-17m. The next surprise was to be trying some new tricks and jumping way under the kite with very little wind to keep the lines tight. In each situation I looked up expecting to see the kite luff but all it did was step it's way downwind into position ready to go again. These are some of the most stable kites I've used.

Shan took the 10m out for a freestyle session and also found the low end power generous enough to match far bigger kites. She did manage to crash the kite and where other reputable kites would have been near impossible to launch in such marginal conditions, the Dice was sitting up ready to launch almost straight away. She came back with a smile from ear to ear suggesting that for freestyle this was the most enjoyable kite she has flown.

Got out in some waves yesterday on 7m Dice, very happy with these North kites and boards, big thanks to Action Sports WA! Pics below

eppo
WA, 9449 posts
20 Dec 2013 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh just had an exquisite session somewhere in the mid west, 20 to 24 on an 11m (I like to be seriously powered) and I will concur with the stability. It's comforting when you are that far out, isolated and hitting some head to double head high monsters knowing that you can trust the wing implicitly. Yes the static grunt is less than a kite with more aspect but as someone said you adjust and work for your money. Nice to know you can get some decent height and loop even in those conditions and again trust it. Really nice wing for sure. That high Y and wrapping long safety fifth still gives me the sh1ts though.

Westy350
WA, 2 posts
20 Dec 2013 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers for the feedback guys I will let you know how I find the Dice in the next week or so.

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
20 Dec 2013 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nath said..

These kites ticked even more boxes for us this week. We've had a few light wind days lately so a good chance to test out low end capabilities of the kites. The first surprise was to be using a 10m Dice fairly comfortably on a 5'11" pro series in about 13-15knts while the only other kites out were 15-17m. The next surprise was to be trying some new tricks and jumping way under the kite with very little wind to keep the lines tight. In each situation I looked up expecting to see the kite luff but all it did was step it's way downwind into position ready to go again. These are some of the most stable kites I've used.

Shan took the 10m out for a freestyle session and also found the low end power generous enough to match far bigger kites. She did manage to crash the kite and where other reputable kites would have been near impossible to launch in such marginal conditions, the Dice was sitting up ready to launch almost straight away. She came back with a smile from ear to ear suggesting that for freestyle this was the most enjoyable kite she has flown.

Got out in some waves yesterday on 7m Dice, very happy with these North kites and boards, big thanks to Action Sports WA! Pics below

So the low end is good, what about when the wind gets up?

Reason I ask is we had a 9mt Dice out the other day with an Ozone Reo as well as a lesser known kite the Blade mist, the wind was about 20knots maybe a bit more, my personal findings were that the kite didn't depower well at all, in fact it was pulling me off my edge, reminded me of when I tried an RRD religion which was another bad experience

I also tried some fast turns with the kite low only to watch the kite accelerate so fast through the window that it flew out of the window and luffed, it did catch again fair play but for my style this was bad.

Jumping was terrible for me and super unrewarding, in fact I came in almost angry at what I experienced, I think after reading so much HYPE about this kite I was just plain disappointed.

Going straight back out on the Reo was a breath of fresh air having a kite with such efficient depower on a short throw and feeling like it is a part of you is great, even the Blade Mist felt 10 x the kite, it was just so much fun.

I am not here to bag the kite but just to put it in perspective, I think for guys that don't fly the kite to much and just want the kite to Drift this could be a good option along with a BWS Noise and others, but I would recommend trying others as well.

This for me was an eye opening experience and see why North work so hard on marketing, maybe they should put a bit more effort into design

Again I don't get the whole Wave/freestyle thing, is it a wave or freestyle kite? it sound a bit like the Rebel which "apparently" was an awesome wave kite as well!!!!

Jason
West Oz Boardsports

MrFreeze
289 posts
20 Dec 2013 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

That's a hard one. But at your weight 11, 8. Even a 12, 9 combo might be best if you are a le to leave some of the big wind days alone. If not 11 8 for sure.

Hmmmmmm confusing

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
20 Dec 2013 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

After a couple more rides I gotta say the power delivery on the dice is somewhat spongy, pull the bar in and wait......... Then off she goes, seems it needs to be worked a lot more than what I'm used to. With the parks it's instant power, pull in the bar and bang. Made trying to boost the dice a bit harder at first. After half an hour or so I was getting some better boosts.

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
20 Dec 2013 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
terryzarmzof said..

After a couple more rides I gotta say the power delivery on the dice is somewhat spongy, pull the bar in and wait......... Then off she goes, seems it needs to be worked a lot more than what I'm used to. With the parks it's instant power, pull in the bar and bang. Made trying to boost the dice a bit harder at first. After half an hour or so I was getting some better boosts.

I have ridden the Park and this is a NICE kite that actually boosts!!

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
20 Dec 2013 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said..

boatramp said..

i was speaking to a local legend here who has just traded up to the Dices (7/9/12) from 2008 Rhino's???
he had a 5 hour session this arvo and couldn't believe light bar pressure (all relative i guess?).
"these Dice's have given me another 10 years in kiting", haha direct quote.
pretty sure he is stoked with the kites.

2008 Rhino's hey!!!

I guess that is a bit of an upgrade

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
21 Dec 2013 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WOK said..

Nath said..

So the low end is good, what about when the wind gets up?

Reason I ask is we had a 9mt Dice out the other day with an Ozone Reo as well as a lesser known kite the Blade mist, the wind was about 20knots maybe a bit more, my personal findings were that the kite didn't depower well at all, in fact it was pulling me off my edge, reminded me of when I tried an RRD religion which was another bad experience

I also tried some fast turns with the kite low only to watch the kite accelerate so fast through the window that it flew out of the window and luffed, it did catch again fair play but for my style this was bad.

Jumping was terrible for me and super unrewarding, in fact I came in almost angry at what I experienced, I think after reading so much HYPE about this kite I was just plain disappointed.

Going straight back out on the Reo was a breath of fresh air having a kite with such efficient depower on a short throw and feeling like it is a part of you is great, even the Blade Mist felt 10 x the kite, it was just so much fun.

I am not here to bag the kite but just to put it in perspective, I think for guys that don't fly the kite to much and just want the kite to Drift this could be a good option along with a BWS Noise and others, but I would recommend trying others as well.

This for me was an eye opening experience and see why North work so hard on marketing, maybe they should put a bit more effort into design

Again I don't get the whole Wave/freestyle thing, is it a wave or freestyle kite? it sound a bit like the Rebel which "apparently" was an awesome wave kite as well!!!!

Jason
West Oz Boardsports

Me? I would have kept quiet. A retailer with negative comments on a popular kite they don't sell only looks like one thing

Spark
WA, 208 posts
21 Dec 2013 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^ Bingo. And the 2 kites that he does stock are much better than the one he dosen't.

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
21 Dec 2013 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Me? I would have kept quiet. A retailer with negative comments on a popular kite they don't sell only looks like one thing

Here we go!!

Maybe you right, maybe I should have logged in under some stupid name that nobody knows

I can rattle of a fair few kites that I have tried and don't sell and have been VERY impressed with, what I am trying to get across here is how this kite disappointed ME personally so much that I was a bit pissed off.

Probably because I was expecting so much more.

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
21 Dec 2013 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Spark said..

^^^^^^ Bingo. And the 2 kites that he does stock are much better than the one he dosen't.

I can only compare the kites with what we had out unfortunately mate.

Now you be a good boy and go ride what Eppo tells you is good

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
21 Dec 2013 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe you need a bit more practice at kitesurfing mate? I have had heaps of kites in the past that I have raved about, but this dice is the best by far, you definitely need to be of a decent skill level to get the most out of it, as you actually have to fly the kite rather than sit there like a sack of sh1t waiting for the thing to mow the lawn for you, but if you know what you are doing, as many, many people have stated, this kite is amazingly rewarding. 5 stars North. This is NOT a park and ride kite, you need to put some work in to reap the rewards.

eppo
WA, 9449 posts
21 Dec 2013 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Steady steady gentlemen. In had a few beers with Jason
(And helped some dude pump up and launch a 23.5m old contra, that was hilarious) the day after his ride on the dice and he was sincerely disappointed. He is entitled to his opinion, he honestly fkn hates the dice, retailer position aside.

The moral of the message is make sure you get out there and demo kites, don't make purchasing decisions on reviews alone.

If you can get on them three or four times like we did in varying water and wind conditions and try a couple of sizes as we'll (if you can of course, not everyone has that luxury). Kites are so specific nowadays.

...and wok that last comment is not necessary mate, if anything it was sparks and PC's insistence on multiple demos that finally convinced me not the other way round. They were convinced way before me, took a lot of rides to pull me from an ozone equivalent and I am still sincerely hoping they build the free ride kite I am certain will rock.

Gotta have a crack on that new mist...

eppo
WA, 9449 posts
21 Dec 2013 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paul1 said..

Maybe you need a bit more practice at kitesurfing mate? I have had heaps of kites in the past that I have raved about, but this dice is the best by far, you definitely need to be of a decent skill level to get the most out of it, as you actually have to fly the kite rather than sit there like a sack of sh1t waiting for the thing to mow the lawn for you, but if you know what you are doing, as many, many people have stated, this kite is amazingly rewarding. 5 stars North. This is NOT a park and ride kite, you need to put some work in to reap the rewards.

.....um Paul you know who wok is right? Trust me the man can ride better than most!!! As I said he sincerely disliked the dice, straight out. But I agree with safer....not a good look, but for what it is worth wok is sincere here.

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
21 Dec 2013 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paul1 said..

Sorry Paul1, I will get some lessons and then get back to you

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
21 Dec 2013 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

The moral of the message is make sure you get out there and demo kites, don't make purchasing decisions on reviews alone.

Hail mary!!!

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
21 Dec 2013 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

WOK, the point is, whether you loved it or hated it, by commenting on a forum negatively about it, there is no positive outcome for you. People won't take your opinion seriously and you just do your own shop brand more damage. It's not about logging in with a fake name, it's simply about keeping your mouth shut and letting people make up their own mind in this case, or rely on the opinion of people who don't have shops.

When I purchased my car, the first brands I knocked off the list were those that tried to bad mouth the other cars, largely because if they couldn't give you a reason to buy their car without bad mouthing the others, they probably couldn't find one.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"NORTH D I C E 2014" started by sci