Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

The 2011 slingshot RPM

Created by Adventure Sports Noosa > 9 months ago, 9 Mar 2011
9 Mar 2011 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys have been told the new RPMs are not far away, and they've got a 9mtr. Kite looks very similar but will have subtle differences; supposed to reluach and go up wind better aswell as have more bottom end. When mine gets here i'll be able to give you my opion, loved last years so cant wait for this years.

Heres a reveiw out of USA its all the info I have so far:

Have Fun
George

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
9 Mar 2011 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Everything is pretty much the same as last year (which isnt a bad thing) except for the split strut's, same as the Fuel's or Rally. Good to see in a 9m.

10 Mar 2011 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Ill have my demo buy the week end with luck,just praying for wind now.
Have Fun
George

KPSS Used
NSW, 373 posts
Site Sponsor
11 Mar 2011 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Just received ours at Kitepower (Sydney!.... =P )

sorse
NSW, 509 posts
14 Mar 2011 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

New kite is sick, love it..
I'm 80kg, in 20 gusting to 25 knots, the new 12m RPM 2011..
Riding level expert, board 2010 misfit 136..
Had no worries unhooking and throwing down, with the kite depowered..
Boosted awesome the guys were pretty blown away first time I sent it..
Definetly great hang time..
Had a quick play in the surf and it drifts really nicely down wind..
Found it had plenty of power and sat really nicely when I edged hard unhooked kite popped really nicely, didn't shoot forward and loose any power..
The quality is great, graphic's etc look hot.. Slingshot great quality..

Turning, well I loved it..
Bar pressure was good, the kite responded and you could feel it when you turned it..
little to no lag time, felt a little like being back on a fuel with lighter pressure..

Can't wait to give it more of a run. Hopefully wind will stay in and I can test it harder this afternoon..

David Sorensen
Board Crazy

Blownaway
QLD, 776 posts
14 Mar 2011 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Had a ride on the new 10 today 72 kg 11/16 SE downwinder in the surf and
I loved it
I am one eyed tho, already an RPM fan an was a little concerned about some minor changes they made....but ! they are all good,Canopy is more solid and stiffer I think it has made it a little more floaty in the jumping department it seemed to hang a little longer and have a bit more pull in the kite loops, pretty marginal wind tho for a real test,over all tho for all discerning RPM lovers its pretty much the same kite just a bit more refined for the better, I reckon 15/25 and the 10 will be my choice,looks like I'm upgrading

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
14 Mar 2011 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

how come they're releasing them so late?

14 Mar 2011 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Its not late for the northern hemisphere ,whish is there big market

14 Mar 2011 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Had the new 10 mtr out earlier wasn't really windy but over all I was impressed feels like last years but seemed better upwind and a little more powerful felt even faster in the turns. But it was only a short session in dodgy wind, so lets wait and see. Here are a couple of pics.

Have fun
George

Transition_Surf
SA, 286 posts
14 Mar 2011 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

jas73 said...

Everything is pretty much the same as last year (which isnt a bad thing) except for the split strut's, same as the Fuel's or Rally. Good to see in a 9m.

2011 Fuel isn't Split Strut... 2012 is going to be.

RPM looks sweet

sorse
NSW, 509 posts
15 Mar 2011 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

OK So I had the 8m out yesterday wind gusty southerly went out in the lake rolling swell, choppy and wind was from 28 knots up to 35knots,
Kite solid, definetly more floaty then last years with my weight under it..
Also cranks upwind as well..
Very happy with it..
still unhooking and throwing 3's in these conditions I was super stoked..
Felt completely comfortable, even when I did get over powered.

Good thing with both kites even with the bar fully out and depowered I could still turn it easily enough..
relaunch not a problem simple quick easy as always, might be a tiny bit easier but hard to tell last years launched so easily.
I gave it a good crashing a few times yesterday still quiet rusty :)
David Sorensen
Board Crazy

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
15 Mar 2011 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Older Fuels were.

martynbone said...

jas73 said...

RPM looks sweet

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
17 Mar 2011 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

One lonely demo (I think they said a 9M) arriving in Perth next week. Stock still weeks away.
Phone in if you want to give it a run - but obviously no hurry. A few 2010's at run-out price now as well.

RayQ
WA, 633 posts
17 Mar 2011 12:43AM
Thumbs Up

Im after a new 9

ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
17 Mar 2011 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

RayQ said...

Im after a new 9

cool

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
17 Mar 2011 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

jas73 said...

Older Fuels were.
martynbone said...

jas73 said...

RPM looks sweet

Interesting that they've gone back!?

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
19 Mar 2011 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

My biggest concern on the 2010 RPM is upwind ability on the 12m on lighter days , tends to site real deep in the window,and you feel like you have to haul it up wind, i guess it's one of the reason why the kite is so good unhooked, I hope there is an improvement on the 2011 12m. Windy days on the smaller kites this has never been a issue. That's what I'll be looking for on the 2011 12m RPM, as for the 10 , 8 , 6 sweet!!!!!

iRideWainman
VIC, 219 posts
20 Mar 2011 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

10m absolutely tows upwind, massive wind range (17-27+ knots, 80kg rider), good hang-time, loops on a dime, doesn't rip your arms off when unhooked and the canopy holds really well in gusts - no doubt the split strut construction helps here.

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
20 Mar 2011 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

My biggest concern on the 2010 RPM is upwind ability on the 12m on lighter days , tends to site real deep in the window,and you feel like you have to haul it up wind, i guess it's one of the reason why the kite is so good unhooked, I hope there is an improvement on the 2011 12m. Windy days on the smaller kites this has never been a issue. That's what I'll be looking for on the 2011 12m RPM, as for the 10 , 8 , 6 sweet!!!!!

Hi Taxi
There are several connections, Freestyle, Wakestyle and also light and heavy bar pressure settings. I havent played around with these settings too much as I stay in the surf hence keep the kite on Freestyle and light bar pressure settings. I find the kite is a little underpowered in light winds compared to my last kite, 2010 North Rebel (both 12m). It doesnt have the same low end grunt but more top end and the RPM is faster turning. The RPM also flys further forward in the wind window on the Freestyle setting.
On the few occasions I have used the Wakestyle setting, I find the kite has a little more grunt and sits deeper in the window but still has less bottom end than my old Rebel. It also has more pronounced ""C Kite lag" after boosting which is good for unhooked tricks allowing more time to land the moves and hook back in.
Basically I dont find the 2010 12m RPM a great light wind kite. Most of the other kiters in my area get going earlier than I do on similar sized Switchblades and Rebels. (Obviously the size and weight of the rider will affect the low wind ability of the kite. I am 85 Kg)
I havnt flown the 2011's so I cant comment on these.
Maybe someone with more experience with the various settings can add more comments.

foorked
VIC, 152 posts
21 Mar 2011 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

iRideWainman said...

10m absolutely tows upwind, massive wind range (17-27+ knots, 80kg rider), good hang-time, loops on a dime, doesn't rip your arms off when unhooked and the canopy holds really well in gusts - no doubt the split strut construction helps here.

omfg i love those colours, can i buy yours?

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
21 Mar 2011 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Flying High said...

Hi Taxi
There are several connections, Freestyle, Wakestyle and also light and heavy bar pressure settings. I havent played around with these settings too much as I stay in the surf hence keep the kite on Freestyle and light bar pressure settings. I find the kite is a little underpowered in light winds compared to my last kite, 2010 North Rebel (both 12m). It doesnt have the same low end grunt but more top end and the RPM is faster turning. The RPM also flys further forward in the wind window on the Freestyle setting.
On the few occasions I have used the Wakestyle setting, I find the kite has a little more grunt and sits deeper in the window but still has less bottom end than my old Rebel. It also has more pronounced ""C Kite lag" after boosting which is good for unhooked tricks allowing more time to land the moves and hook back in.
Basically I dont find the 2010 12m RPM a great light wind kite. Most of the other kiters in my area get going earlier than I do on similar sized Switchblades and Rebels. (Obviously the size and weight of the rider will affect the low wind ability of the kite. I am 85 Kg)
Maybe someone with more experience with the various settings can add more comments.

The RPM is an 'open C' shaped kite I believe. It won't have as good a low end as the Rebel which is a Hybrid/SLE (I think)

You should of perhaps got the 13m if you wanted to match the 12m rebel low end. I'm sure someone else will go into more detail.

I'm gonna get a 11m C4 in order to match the 10m Switchblade. By the way, my 10m switchblade looks like an 11m next to my mates 10m RPM

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
21 Mar 2011 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

foorked said...

iRideWainman said...

omfg i love those colours, can i buy yours?

Don't worry about those colours mate. Just get a green C4

iRideWainman
VIC, 219 posts
21 Mar 2011 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Big eeeZeee said...

The RPM is an 'open C' shaped kite I believe. It won't have as good a low end as the Rebel which is a Hybrid/SLE (I think)

You should of perhaps got the 13m if you wanted to match the 12m rebel low end. I'm sure someone else will go into more detail.

Funny you should mention this Big eeeZeee , as a guy was out on a 9m 2011 Rebel at the same time and he appeared to be a little more powered up than what I was (admittedly he claimed to be 5kg lighter than me), no doubt that was some low end delta/hybrid-SLE working in his favour as well...

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
22 Mar 2011 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Big Eeezee said ...

I'm gonna get a 11m C4 in order to match the 10m Switchblade. By the way, my 10m switchblade looks like an 11m next to my mates 10m RPM

Sorry I didnt use the quote function properly, it should have read this way

Taxi said ...

Flying High said in reply ...
Hi Taxi

I am not dissapointed with the RPM, I think its a great kite and I agree I think a 13m would have been better in general for my weight, but they only made even sizes in 2010 ie. 8, 10 ,12 ,14.
The 14 was a bit slow for what I wanted in the surf.
(I bought a 12 and 8, really needed a 9. The RPM has a 9m in the 2011 which is fantastic[:)
I was replying to Taxi's comments:
*that the 12m RPM doesnt perform well in light winds - simply it isnt a light wind kite and the hybrids in similar sizes perform better at the low end.
*The kite sits deep in the window (in light wind) this may have something to do with the settings they are using. On the freestyle, light bar pressure, I find it doesnt sit that far back in the window

Blownaway
QLD, 776 posts
22 Mar 2011 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

taxi said...

My biggest concern on the 2010 RPM is upwind ability on the 12m on lighter days , tends to site real deep in the window,and you feel like you have to haul it up wind

Thats coz those lighter dayz you are talkin about really where a tad to light !!
You where goin upwind no probs last sunday an that was light ! I thought that was on the border of fun factor in light wind conditions any lighter than that an any kite is going to feel like a sack of potatoes ! I'm thinkin the 2012 10 might just be my new big kite, seriously it got me havin fun in less wind than last sunday when I was on my 12 !
I think we will be in for a nice surprise this year

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
22 Mar 2011 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Blownaway said...

taxi said...

My biggest concern on the 2010 RPM is upwind ability on the 12m on lighter days , tends to site real deep in the window,and you feel like you have to haul it up wind

Thats coz those lighter dayz you are talkin about really where a tad to light !!
You where goin upwind no probs last sunday an that was light ! I thought that was on the border of fun factor in light wind conditions any lighter than that an any kite is going to feel like a sack of potatoes ! I'm thinkin the 2012 10 might just be my new big kite, seriously it got me havin fun in less wind than last sunday when I was on my 12 !
I think we will be in for a nice surprise this year

I know Phil there were kites falling out of the sky and i was still going. I'm just fussy.

BoardCrazy
NSW, 74 posts
Site Sponsor
25 Mar 2011 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Big eeeZeee said...

Flying High said...

Hi Taxi

HI Guy well to Answer Taxi's question the new 2011 12m definetly goes upwind much better..
I had a 2009 12m rpm but found it very lofty, heavy and dragged a bit so I didn't get the 2010 model..
The new 2011 model feel alot more direct, maybe a little less lofty but goes upwind better for sure. It drives faster and to me feel slot better..

Sorry I can't compare the low end to the other kites as some of you guys have..

I can tell you the kite fly's and balances really well in the light wind, and being fast I can get going on it on a 136 misfit 2010 model 81kg in 11-15 going up wind flat water..
I am very experienced kite flyer and aggressive with my kite..
Hoping will get some pics and vid soon :)

Edgeguts
WA, 69 posts
25 Mar 2011 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi people,need help
Any bigger lads (around 100kg) ride a 12m?
I'm debating whether to get a 12m rpm or 13m Fuel .
I ride a 9m Octane with 142cm board comfortably anywhere from 23knts plus and need something to get me moving around 17knts.(mostly flat water riding)
Don't see to many 14m rpm's around over here and i hear they turn pretty slow.
cheers for any positive info

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
26 Mar 2011 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

12RPM more versatile Kite.

woodys
WA, 218 posts
5 Apr 2011 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

2011 RPM has finally made it cross country to the 'wait-a-while' state.

One 9M demo kite arrived today in a flash new bright red kite bag.
Anyone wanting to give it a run is more than welcome to book in a demo.
All the OS forum reviews have been pretty special but I'd love to hear what some locals I actually know have to say.

Shop stock is still some distance off but I would really like your feedback before guessing what might be needed.

Havent had a chance to even unroll it yet but will give it a thorough check tomorrow and report back here asap - with pics of any interesting bits! The answer to the main question we've been asked is "Yes". They are split strut construction - I like that.

woodys
WA, 218 posts
9 Apr 2011 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Posted this as an answer in the general forum.
Probably more appro here:

OK - we pumped up a 2010 8M RPM and spooned it to the 2011 9M.
Results:
- because of the different 8>9 size diff its impossible to tell for sure if the bridle has been moded but if it has it is minimal. Still the same pulleys and geometry.
- panel construction (but not shape or size) has been modified. Couldnt tell if they have been tightened or flared but internally stitched shapes are different.
- scuff guards are 2 piece (like the Rally) rather than one strip covering both LE & strut.
- apart from split strut build everything else appeared the same.
- 2011 retains the 2 front freestyle/wakestyle pigtail options and still has 4 pigtails for turning and bar pressure at the backline end.
- bar is the same piece of beautiful engineering as last year.

We will do an equal size comparison as soon as new stock arrives. There may well be differences undetectable until its a 'same same' comparison.

One interesting crossover design provision is :-
the 8M comes with a 17cm bar - 20M lines
the 9M comes with a 17cm bar - 23M lines
the 10M comes with a 20cm bar - 23M lines

I wonder why it isnt a 20cm bar with 20M lines?
Wouldnt you just love the job R&Ding all these possible options

Anyhow - how it performs is what its all about so come and try it in the real world.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"The 2011 slingshot RPM" started by Adventure Sports Noosa