Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

The best wave kite 2010 or 2011 youve ridden WA

Created by SUPtheblog > 9 months ago, 15 Feb 2011
SUPtheblog
WA, 55 posts
15 Feb 2011 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight, 82 Kg Level (intermediate)
Style: Surf
Weather: ?-? knots
Build Quality: ?/10
Satisfaction: ?/10
Disclosure: I am looking for the best kite & board. if you sell please disclose your interests
My Comments: I am looking for the best wave kite & board yourve ridden in the West Aust waters. Yes if youre not a WA rider thats ok. I think a few will still be interested any way.

kiteman143
QLD, 3 posts
16 Feb 2011 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Try Airush ONE kite.It is a single strut kite which is very good in waves.Lightweight,easy depower and control, relaunches immediately, great upwind ability and wind range. I have had mine 6 weeks and it has greatly improved my skills and ability to have fun in the waves.

My favourite board is an AirushXover 135 twin tip wave board, which rides and jumps well.I prefer twin tips since you can jump and do a few tricks as well as ride.I kite in cross onshore beach breaks and typically in 18 to 25+ knots.
Cheers.

KnutH
VIC, 426 posts
16 Feb 2011 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon the question should rather be "which kite doesn't work in the waves"...
For pretty much every kite you find people saying that it performs good in waves as well, for one reason or the other. Although some characteristics can be very different, e.g. arc turns vs pivot turns, Delta relauch vs c-kite relaunch..
Even with some dedicated racing kites, which I would rather expect to be the crappiest imaginable wave kites, you find the odd dude stating that "it works in the waves as well".
Anyway, bring on the 34 different suggestions ;)

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
16 Feb 2011 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

discussed previously...

new os
catalyst
waroo
rev
noise
bandit
rebel
kahoona
etc
etc

Bertie
NSW, 1351 posts
18 Feb 2011 12:44AM
Thumbs Up

The naish park suprised me. It made me look way better than i really am in the surf :)

brooksy
WA, 498 posts
18 Feb 2011 4:54AM
Thumbs Up

nomad 7m

GSS
WA, 75 posts
18 Feb 2011 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Shop owner (Geraldton Surf & Sail) so maybe biased but more so because I haven't ridden everything out there. For me, my ideal combo is the North Fuse 7m & North WAM 5'8". Otherwise the Rebel is great (more responsive) and the Naish Park is good because it is so quick. North Kontact as better for DTL/high wind condiions. If your into quads its worth trying the Naish Custom Wave boards as well. My 2 cents.

Fefis
5 posts
24 Feb 2011 6:09AM
Thumbs Up

RRD religion 8

gavo
WA, 127 posts
24 Feb 2011 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

BWS Noise 8m!!

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
25 Feb 2011 6:21AM
Thumbs Up

9m argo, rocks. no fancy price tags here. 13 -28 knts one kite tool of wave domination. put that in your pipe and smoke it .and im not a shop wanker

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
25 Feb 2011 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hi ColD,

Asking what peoples idea of the best kite for waves is, is like arguing about what the best colour is.

I sell 4 different brands, all of which have a "surf" oriented kite or two, and to be honest all are very good. There a couple of stand outs but that's just my perception/experience, all of them are quite different to each other and the best kite will depend on the wind direction and also the type of kite surfing you do.

There are "park n ride" kites and powered wave riding kites, some do both, others only suit one style. Then there are the guys who love "C" kites in the surf for the speed and power in the turns. No right or wrong, just different or as the Thai's say, "Same Same, But Different"

A skilled rider can make a flying Woolworths shopping bag look good in the waves so pro riders should have zero influence in your decision, so really the only opinion you can truly trust is your own. To do this you need to grab a demo of the kites you are interested in. Personally I don't have the money for a kite that only does one specific job, so for me, a kite that drifts and moves quick is essential.

The characteristics of a good wave kite IMHO, should be light and responsive, stable, nimble and quick, and good relaunch. Kites with heaps of reinforcements or "bomb proof" construction make for a heavier kite which equates to a less responsive kite. Some times I find my kite up in Neutral at about 2 o'clock as I approach a bottom turn or top turn. I need it to respond super fast, accellerate and turn super fast so I can down turn it without it hitting the water to power on for my next move.

Some kites allow you the freedom to ride the way you want whilst others demand that you fit in with the way it flies. Personally I like to go where I want on a wave and hit what I want, when I want, again this requires stability, responsiveness, direct feel, depower and speed. Most pulley bridle kites lose that sense of directness I need because I rarely look at my kite when I ride, I do it all by feel and experience and instead focus my attention on the wave and how it is forming down the line.

I ride all styles, Park n ride, powered, hooked, unhooked, strapless and strapped, again dictated by conditions. Please keep in mind, these are characteristics I like to suit my style, I follow no one and couldn't care less what people think about my style or form.

Bottom line to decide on the right kite for you is to know what characteristics you want from your kite before you start looking at kites to try. Strike off the ones that don't have the qualities you are after before you start so that you don't end up confused.

Good luck with your decision.

DM

COL
NSW, 551 posts
25 Feb 2011 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

It's late FEB, the season is almost done. If you're determined to have the best gear it'll only be for an off season and then there'll be a dozen better setups. If you want 'THE BEST" you should wait the 7 months.
On the other hand, if you just want to blast around & have a ****eload of fun on some brilliant gear, then there's loads of choices! And you'll probably get some good deals now as well.
Col

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
25 Feb 2011 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

^ The (wind) season might be almost over Col but unfortunately in Perth the only decent swell we seem to get is during the offseason.

Johnt
WA, 108 posts
26 Feb 2011 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Core GTS

Tribal Elder
WA, 85 posts
27 Feb 2011 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Dear Johnt

Would that be a 7m or a 9m?

SUPtheblog
WA, 55 posts
27 Feb 2011 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers all i got the jist keep on trying till I find what works. Thanks all for your inputs. I do own a core 9m gt this is ok in wind about up to 18 knts on a surf board ok for surf if you throw is side to side of the window .but down the line forget it as it will stall if you go to fast towards the kite. Great kite for aggressive riding hangtime and good air time. It is also my opinion above so try before you buy I may be wrong but yeah I own one and use it for twin tip riding.

topturn
21 posts
28 Feb 2011 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

I second Johnt on the Core GTS.
I changed my GT quiver to GTS's and I feel that they are an improvement on the GT model particularly for wave riding (up and down the line)

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
28 Feb 2011 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

topturn said...

I second Johnt on the Core GTS.
I changed my GT quiver to GTS's and I feel that they are an improvement on the GT model particularly for wave riding (up and down the line)

hey any more info on the core GTS - how it performs in surf, freestyle, etc. I must admit i really like the look of them in the sky, they just seem to 'fly right' if you know what i mean. Like a good boat with nice 'lines' I have seen them a number of times (in the waves as well) and I am thinking about getting one. Wind range, how do they handle gusty conditions, what are they like at there top end / bottom end, are they grunty and bar pressure?

Nath
WA, 113 posts
28 Feb 2011 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi ColD

The Ozone Catalyst is worth a try as others have mentioned. It gives a light, smooth, maneuverable feel with precise handling that lets you place it where you want when you want. It's stable in the air, drifts swiftly down the line and performs well hooked or unhooked. It took us about two seasons of regular kite demos to find this one and the quality and performance as a wave kite is higher than anything we've seen or ridden. Here's a photo of a 2011 model we took on a recent trip to the south coast of WA (this is a 10m in very light wind).

Happy demo-ing!

Nath

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
1 Mar 2011 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Nath said...

Hi ColD

The Ozone Catalyst is worth a try as others have mentioned. It gives a light, smooth, maneuverable feel with precise handling that lets you place it where you want when you want. It's stable in the air, drifts swiftly down the line and performs well hooked or unhooked. It took us about two seasons of regular kite demos to find this one and the quality and performance as a wave kite is higher than anything we've seen or ridden. Here's a photo of a 2011 model we took on a recent trip to the south coast of WA (this is a 10m in very light wind).

Happy demo-ing!

Nath

Nath what's it like for other styles? Is it purely a wave kite?

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Mar 2011 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Hey eppo,

The Catalyst for sure is one of the best wave kites, if I go for a dedicated wave sesh, the Cat is the one I choose for all conditions. On shore, off shore, side on, side off, it works well in all directions.

The Cat isn't as grunty as the Kahoona or other Delta's but it's light weight and direct responsiveness is pure gold. The lightweight translates to the ability to change directions almost instantly and allows it to drift predictably when lines ocassionally go slack, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had one drop in the waves and I slack line regularly.

The Cat has ample depower and the ability to shoot forward to the edge of the window if you need it to, but can quickly be downlooped back into the action.

Bottom line is that when I get into the thick of a heavy situation, I often switch off my conscious control of the kite and just ride the wave. The Catalyst allows me to ride the way I want without worrying about the kite. Complete faith in the kite being there when I need it.

I sell other great surf kites too, but this is my pick for my style.

DM

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
1 Mar 2011 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

AKSonline said...

Hey eppo,

The Catalyst for sure is one of the best wave kites, if I go for a dedicated wave sesh, the Cat is the one I choose for all conditions. On shore, off shore, side on, side off, it works well in all directions.

The Cat isn't as grunty as the Kahoona or other Delta's but it's light weight and direct responsiveness is pure gold. The lightweight translates to the ability to change directions almost instantly and allows it to drift predictably when lines ocassionally go slack, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had one drop in the waves and I slack line regularly.

The Cat has ample depower and the ability to shoot forward to the edge of the window if you need it to, but can quickly be downlooped back into the action.

Bottom line is that when I get into the thick of a heavy situation, I often switch off my conscious control of the kite and just ride the wave. The Catalyst allows me to ride the way I want without worrying about the kite. Complete faith in the kite being there when I need it.

I sell other great surf kites too, but this is my pick for my style.

DM

Comparison with GTS core?

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Mar 2011 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hey eppo,

I'll keep it real brief for the minute and will fill in a more detailed review when I get a few minutes.

Power : Core GTS is more powerful than the Catalyst

Steering: Catalyst and GTS about same speed but Catalyst is lighter to steer at the bar. Catalyst is more direct in feel due to lack of pulleys.

Responsiveness: Catalyst is a winner here as it is a lighter three strut kite compared to the GTS.

Drift: Catalyst would probably have it here too due to it's light weight.

Upwindability: Both kites go upwind really well

Power in turns: GTS wins here as it has a more "C" shape than the hybrid style of the Cat.

Bottom end power: Goes to the GTS by a small amount.

Top End of wind range: This one is also to the GTS as the 5 struts hold the canopy in better more stable shape in over powered conditions.

Boosting: The GTS will go higher as it relys on good old "C" kite jumping technique to go big. Catalyst goes pretty large too and is no slouch in this area.

Hangtime: I'd say probably a draw.

Versatility: Both are excellent Freeride kites, Catalyst is better in waves if you prefer the park n drift style of riding and suits onshore riding conditions better unless you are into the powered sytle of riding where the kite is whipped around and power is used then it would be a draw fpr wave ability. For Freestyle, the GTS is a clear winner.

Both kites are excellent in the waves but it depends on your riding style as always, so a demo is the best idea or be realistic with your fave dealer about your ability and knowing exactly what you want the kite to do for you and your riding style as both kites will be great fun so long as you match the kite to your style.

DM

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
1 Mar 2011 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

AKSonline said...

Hey eppo,

I'll keep it real brief for the minute and will fill in a more detailed review when I get a few minutes.

Power : Core GTS is more powerful than the Catalyst

Steering: Catalyst and GTS about same speed but Catalyst is lighter to steer at the bar. Catalyst is more direct in feel due to lack of pulleys.

Responsiveness: Catalyst is a winner here as it is a lighter three strut kite compared to the GTS.

Drift: Catalyst would probably have it here too due to it's light weight.

Upwindability: Both kites go upwind really well

Power in turns: GTS wins here as it has a more "C" shape than the hybrid style of the Cat.

Bottom end power: Goes to the GTS by a small amount.

Top End of wind range: This one is also to the GTS as the 5 struts hold the canopy in better more stable shape in over powered conditions.

Boosting: The GTS will go higher as it relys on good old "C" kite jumping technique to go big. Catalyst goes pretty large too and is no slouch in this area.

Hangtime: I'd say probably a draw.

Versatility: Both are excellent Freeride kites, Catalyst is better in waves if you prefer the park n drift style of riding and suits onshore riding conditions better unless you are into the powered sytle of riding where the kite is whipped around and power is used then it would be a draw fpr wave ability. For Freestyle, the GTS is a clear winner.

Both kites are excellent in the waves but it depends on your riding style as always, so a demo is the best idea or be realistic with your fave dealer about your ability and knowing exactly what you want the kite to do for you and your riding style as both kites will be great fun so long as you match the kite to your style.

DM

Thanks darren as per normal, extremely informative and written by someone who understands and has ridden kites for a while. From what you've said, GTS winner for me. Three struts hey, weird, but cool.

Nath
WA, 113 posts
1 Mar 2011 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hi eppo

The design brief states that the Catalyst is suitable for beginners through to experienced wave kiters. Although it has never been marketed purely as a wave kite, from the many that we have tried, it is by far the most fun to use. It is one of those kites that suits a wide variety of styles and performs exceptionally well for most. I think DM's thorough comparison clearly highlights the characteristics of the Catalyst. Typical of Ozone kites, the Catalyst flies super smooth even in gusty conditions. This works for strapless surfing and makes more possible the option of using shorter lines if you want to speed things up - giving new meaning to a 'Cat on acid'. It looks like the general trend for this thread is steering you in a positive direction to try a few good kites and choose one that best suits the way you like to ride. Hopefully the seabreeze pattern will be back soon so that you can!

Nath

Sanjay
147 posts
1 Mar 2011 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

In a thread like this you can count who got most team pimps, that's all you learn

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
2 Mar 2011 1:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Sanjay,

Nath is a team rider for me, he doesn't hide his connection in his reviews and neither do I or any of my small but talented team. Am I missing something???

I tried for two years to get Nathan and his wife Shan on our team. It took that long to find a kite which they liked, took even longer to get them a board they both liked. They tried lots of gear of different brands and models before settling on the gear they ride now.

They paid for their original gear they rode, but each year I swap it for them to the new models. Is this transparent enough for you?

None of my team riders are under any pressure to stay on gear they don't love to ride, they can change if they choose. No point having a team rider on a kite they don't believe in, same goes for me. I won't sell a kite or board I don't believe in.

Read our reviews, then try the kites and see if our reviews don't match the kites. I'm more than happy to take the pepsi challenge. You'll see we don't BS our customers or the forum members. When you've been around long enough, you'll know this.

Here is a list of AKS Team riders so you know who my guys and Girls are:
Shannon Ducker - Shannon
Nathan Ducker - Nath
Zac Brueker - Grommit
Abel Tomkins - Abesy
and Sam from SB -Sammyj

They don't blindly pimp, they make usually rare but carefully considered and factual comments about the gear they ride and are passionate about. All others on this thread and any other, pay for their gear. They make remarks because they are passionate about their gear too!

Have a good night.

DM

radman4
678 posts
2 Mar 2011 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

green menace said...

9m argo, rocks. no fancy price tags here. 13 -28 knts one kite tool of wave domination. put that in your pipe and smoke it .and im not a shop wanker

neil11
2 posts
8 Mar 2011 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Airush varial 6m vs Airush Lithium 6m FOR WAVES

Hi guys, did anyone tried these 2?

A lot of people compared these 2 kites BUT really the dynamics change related to kite sizing, wind and wave conditions.

So this is the scenario:
rider: 68 kg rider, 6 years experience kitesurfing, 1 year experience in waves
conditions: 27-33 knots, side on-shore wind, mushy waves, quad surfboard

First though is lithium 6m BUT WHAT I WORRY ABOUT IS whether side on-shore conditions are not good for lower aspect ratio kite that flies back in the window...meaning you dont get good upwind and drags you a lot downwind to the shore? am i thinking correctly? Is Lithium really bad on going upwind?

Is varial 6m a better option under this conditions? Varial flies further front in the window, it is a racing kite...really is it an option for wave riding compare to the Lithium which pivots more and helps when wave riding? A 6m Varial might be too "aggressive" for wave riding at 30 knots? The fact that varial has a forward turn will it help in these conditions...is it a plus?

richswing
WA, 724 posts
8 Mar 2011 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

NEW OS 7m, it's like a drug.

I don't know what the other sizes are like but for Perth conditions it's great but saying that I have not tried many other kites.
At 90kg, I get going around 20knots but on the More C kite settings I reckon a couple of knit's lower.

The kid flies forward, super quick 3 strut simple 5 line kite. People say 5 lines are bad, I disagree- the mini 5th 4 liners are worse especially loosing a line. The 7m is hard to keep down.

My 2 cents
Cheers
Rich

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
9 Mar 2011 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

naish park-sweet ride

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"The best wave kite 2010 or 2011 youve ridden WA" started by SUPtheblog