Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

Goolwa- Meningie 2011

Created by Hobie1463 > 9 months ago, 11 Aug 2011
DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
7 Sep 2011 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Ok, some more of my thoughts in light of the power line issue:

1) I definitely agree with sbray – we cannot be running a kite race under low power lines for the reasons he explains quite well in his post (I estimate from the first photo they may be about 12-15m above the water).
2) I also agree with Danny that stopping the race half way totally defeats the purpose as we will no longer be racing against anyone but ourselves – and if so we may as well pick a more favourable route where more people can join in.

Based on the (1) and (2) above I am thinking that – unless someone can come up with a miraculous solution - we should “cut our losses” and start looking for a different race.

What other race can we do? Danny already mentioned Goolwa to Milang in a different thread. Or we can invent our own - my favourite would be a “Wall to Parham” – or even better, we can call it a “Flatwater Classic” (pun intended) as there is nothing but flat water once you pass Outer Harbour area). No raceboards would be needed and more people can join in as it is downwind all the way. But this can be a subject of a new thread.

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
8 Sep 2011 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

Sorry to everyone but I have to agree. I'm not willing to put anyone at risk for a bit of fun.

I know of a few more long races that we can do. Two at Kingston after Christmas.

Goolwa- Milang will NOT be going ahead anytime soon. I spoke to the organisers.

Milang are thinking of doing a around the lake race in Febuary. They also offered to help out if we want to run say a point Sturt to milang Fun Race.

Danny

coastflyer
SA, 582 posts
8 Sep 2011 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Danny, maybe we should plan for a fun race over the Australia day long weekend, and camp out in the Milang caravan park and join in all the fun with the Yachties. Return distance is about 24kms, and would be mainly a reach in a SWly. Certainly possible on at least a twin tip!

pneucube
SA, 112 posts
9 Sep 2011 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
Thanks for the input from all, Danny thanks for the research.
Also received the SAKSA email today from Geoff, thanks for your work and SAKSA also.
Coastflyer seems to have a really good idea, still safety is the main concern with support craft required so this will be the limiting factor for the number of entrants.
With a SEly it would be safer, I would think?? not sure on the wind patterns.
Regards Jim.

Chap
SA, 164 posts
9 Sep 2011 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Agree with Scott. Meningie race no good unless you did a sprint from the ferry across Lake Albert which is still a good distance and a bit of fun. Even better, make it a multiple crossing of Lake Albert?

Coastflyer's post is good. I've done that leg a number of times it's awesome fun. It oscillates SE to S the further left you go on that photo. Regarding safety, it's still pretty deep in the middle but the west side of the course is chest deep the whole way. A starboard rounding marker or gate could be set on the west side of the course to get everyone corralled to shallower water, rather than everyone heading off in different directions. I'd be keen.
Only downside is that the grass at Pt Surt is full of three corner jacks and the memories of retrieving 14 from my bleeding feet still draws a laugh from the fellas there. Tip: pump up on the sand...

coastflyer
SA, 582 posts
9 Sep 2011 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Check out this footage from Perth! This course is 19kms, but imagine the same thing happening between Milang and Pt Sturt. I have done this course many times and as Chap says, stay closer to the western edge, and the lake is only about one metre deep, so if you come off or want a rest, you can stop and stand on the sandy bottom. I always wear booties because of razor fish shells on the lake floor. Suitably named!! At Pt Sturt itself, is a nice sandy beach that is accessible to cars and campers.

www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Kitesurfing/Red-Bull-Lighthouse-to-Leighton-Kite-Race-Video_4407103.aspx

Transition_Surf
SA, 286 posts
9 Sep 2011 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

I did the RedBull race and it was amazing....

Think there were two guys on race boards that came mid fleet due to the conditions.

Hoping to get there this year if its on again.

coastflyer
SA, 582 posts
10 Sep 2011 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

And for those that think the course a little long, I take my inspiration from Sir Richard Branson. He gives me hope!

Article:

Branson says his wife Joan thinks he is "barking" mad

The Virgin boss will be accompanied across the 24-mile stretch of water by his children, Holly, 29, Sam, 26, and some of his nephews. He plans to leave Dungeness in Kent but said the French finishing point was dependent on wind conditions. Sir Richard, who turns 60 on Sunday, is to embark on the six-hour trip some time in August.

I'm putting my poor 60-year-old bones through an arduous 24.4 miles, over water, hanging on to a giant kite" Sir Richard said: "Kitesurfing is one of my favourite sports. I absolutely love the amazing rush you get when going at high speeds, in high winds, with the most beautiful kite acting as your only guide."
He added: "My wife [Joan] swears I get more barking as I get older. This year I've almost crippled myself running 26.2 miles in my first marathon."

"Joan could have a point. But as Holly, Sam and my nephews will be doing it with me, at least I can claim the whole family is barking and at the end of the day they are Joan's children as well - so she's 50% responsible."

MikeDuffield
SA, 14 posts
26 Sep 2011 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Everyone.

I admire the enthusiasm but gotta say Goolwa Meningie would be super tough on a kite. I finished a few times in about 2 hours and once in 3 hours, once in 7 hours and once in about 10 hours. That was "hell on earth". The 1 0 hour one started in 25 knots and fanging along for about 30 minutes and then it just stopped blowing for the next 6 hours! It tricks you as you can be cruising in 25 knots but Clayton is tough and "the Narrows" at Narrung is the equivalent of tacking a kite from upwind for the entire length of West Lakes = gusty and ****. I always hated that part. I also was there the year it went horribly wrong in 30 knots and it is a big area to have small boats/craft spread out and almost impossible to find and kites and windsurfers have the same problem. Lake Alexandrina can get pretty rough when windy.

I reckon downwind races are the best best fun ever on kites, windsurfers or anything but emphasis on the "downwind" part. Cape Jaffa to Kingston Race in January would be awesome on a kite and super flat water in a SE. That would be a good one or the other ones in open areas ocean are the go.

Cheers

Mike Duffield

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

"Goolwa- Meningie 2011" started by Hobie1463