Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

Parham 16/03/2011

Created by SpawnofFossl > 9 months ago, 15 Mar 2011
SpawnofFossl
SA, 116 posts
15 Mar 2011 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Might be heading out to parham at about 5-530 pm after work tomorrow if anyone else is keen. Seabreeze is looking aroung 16knots Southerly and high tide is at about 6pm at 1.7m.

Hopefully some of the pazza regulars can catch up and work on my poor upwind ability

DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
15 Mar 2011 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm... this may be one of the last seabreezes we'll see this summer... if you reckon you get there early enough to catch it - great!
But be aware these last seabreezes often turn off early, so if you arrive too late it may be all gone.

I have no hope getting out of work early this week, so I'll save my kiting credits till the weekend and hope for a cold front to come through by then.

Fabien
SA, 21 posts
16 Mar 2011 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

I had the same plan to go there tonight with these SE winds and will be happy to not be alone on the water if it works there - See u around 5.30pm

Lang
SA, 66 posts
16 Mar 2011 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

Gday Spawn of Fossil

I had hoped to get out on the water, but I don't think the likelyhood of wind warrants the tour. I might go home and work on the wake winch.

I hope you get some wind

SpawnofFossl
SA, 116 posts
16 Mar 2011 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Well got there about 10 to five - set my lines up - wind sitting beautifully at about 16knots direct southerly - pumped my kite up and BANG - Blew another 30cm tear in the leading edge again but this time on the other side - I think it might be time for a new kite but will have to wait for tax time to get the funds :( Cant afford another $300 repair on the kite as I only purchased it for $600 a year ago. Sorry if I missed you fabien - must have been by a matter of minutes.

Fabien
SA, 21 posts
16 Mar 2011 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Fossil - you were not lucky tonight ....
I probably just missed you, was on the water around 6pm for a good hour - wind was just enough for my 9m and 75kg - Flat water were perfect to improve my first jumps ...
And the sunset was the bonus

pneucube
SA, 112 posts
16 Mar 2011 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

Nice to hear you had a good hour, forecast didnt look too good so I sadly worked.
Went out last night, it was very nice at 22-25 knots.
Trying to toeside and it seems very un natural, but will get it, soon I hope!!
Tried to self land the kite and had a real problem, eventually had to pull the eject button but it makes such a mess of the lines.
Could someone give some advice.
Thanks Jim

Wisha
SA, 255 posts
17 Mar 2011 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

Will have to drop in at Parham next time down from Whyalla.

Self land - bring it down low, pull depower strap, yank the top front line as you drop it. walk up that line to the kite.

sbray
SA, 350 posts
17 Mar 2011 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

pneucube said...

Tried to self land the kite and had a real problem, eventually had to pull the eject button but it makes such a mess of the lines.
Could someone give some advice.
Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,

I have watched some of the long standing, experienced crew at Parham, self launching & landing, so this idea came from Don Pumpa (Tim's dad).

Don uses a 2 metre length of strong sail rope (mine is 12mm dyneema cored halyard rope), with approx. 200 mm loop in one end and a large, strong carabiner clip attached to the opposite end.

Don also has a large tag attached explaining its use to casual observers (so they don't remove it while you are on the water) with a contact number if it gets left behind after a session.

Don attaches this to the sturdy signpost on the south side of the boat ramp.

This can save your butt big time if something goes wrong at launch or landing.

My personal examples are where I discovered the stitching had come apart on one of the outer line pigtails, luckily, found during setup. Had I have self launched (not tethered) and then the pigtail parted company, it could have led to a bad day

Also I have experienced unexpected increases in wind strength which also adds a danger factor to an unassisted landing.

For less than $20 outlay you can reduce your risk.

One downside is rigging across the ramp and risking your lines being driven over by legitimate ramp users.

I have considered approaching the locals, via the progress association and the Light Council to ask approval to sink a large post into the beach, about 30 - 50 mtrs north of the ramp.

This could allow for a permanent fixed point for launch & land plus perhaps some sinage explaining kite safety to other beach users

Cheers
Fossil

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

"Parham 16/03/2011" started by SpawnofFossl