Forums > Kitesurfing The Hookup

Beginner kiting buddies Botany Bay

Created by Tootharoo > 9 months ago, 23 Sep 2013
Pat2031
NSW, 6 posts
23 Dec 2013 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

I went down to BB on Saturday but decided it was too windy for a beginner. Fun to watch though.

Yesterday after a long wait for the wind to pick up I finally got out at about 4pm for an hour or so. After lots of face planting and crashing the kite and being crashed into and having to self recue.... I did finally get a few good runs before I had to head home. Feels really good when you get it right.

Patrick

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
27 Dec 2013 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

So who is looking at going out this week?

I am going to try to get as much time as possible on the water before heading on holidays and having to tackle the waves.
I had a quick look at the SB forecast and at this stage I am going to be aiming to get to Kurnell on Saturday midday onwards (depending on when i get my house work done), probably 1st carpark Sunday arvo, then back to kurnell on Monday after work. I am steering clear of the city tuesday and wednesday for obvious reasons and maybe heading back to kurnell on thursday (if I have everything sorted holidays as we leave on the following saturday).

Hit me up if you heading out

anwargoku
NSW, 29 posts
27 Dec 2013 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

I will be there saturday sunday. Probably first car park. Kurnell is too far away

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
27 Dec 2013 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

It's only another 20mins or so, but i am used to travelling due to living so far out north west. To be honest I much prefer Kurnell over 1st etc, it is a lot less crowded as there is not as many families etc over there. The wind seems a lot more consistent and the water is no where near as choppy.

Might see you on Sunday arvo. What time you looking at?

anwargoku
NSW, 29 posts
27 Dec 2013 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

I will probAbly go around 2pm saturday and planning to go earlly on subday around 10am. Ill keep you posted via facebook

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
27 Dec 2013 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome mate :-)

jms
NSW, 131 posts
28 Dec 2013 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

I'm heading out soon. Blue/White crazyfly kite with yellow ribs, struggling to get up on the board!

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
28 Dec 2013 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I'm freaking jinxed lol.
Had to make a detour via KP on the way back from Kurnell to put the kite in for some serious repairs

anwargoku
NSW, 29 posts
29 Dec 2013 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Today is kind a scary day to kite

jms
NSW, 131 posts
29 Dec 2013 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

How long until you get your kite back?

I had a look at kite repairs, and it seems they can do some amazing things and make the kite fly/look as good as new.

Crazy wind today! Gusts up to 45k this morning!

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
30 Dec 2013 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jms said..

How long until you get your kite back?

I had a look at kite repairs, and it seems they can do some amazing things and make the kite fly/look as good as new.

Crazy wind today! Gusts up to 45k this morning!

Got a call from Steve yesterday saying it was ready to go, he looked at it when I took it in, reckons it was no biggy, easy fix etc.

I was able to get my postponed lesson moved to this arvo so will pick up kite before my lesson. Hopefully wind is good for my 11m so I can test it out at the same time. Will probably be at Dolls as always with the lesson.

Will let you know how it goes.

jms
NSW, 131 posts
30 Dec 2013 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

That's good news! I think I'm off to Kurnell shortly. Theoretically I'm supposed to be hard back at work today, but I'm going away for 10 days so this is my last chance.

Good luck with the kite & lesson.

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
30 Dec 2013 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jms said..

That's good news! I think I'm off to Kurnell shortly. Theoretically I'm supposed to be hard back at work today, but I'm going away for 10 days so this is my last chance.

Good luck with the kite & lesson.

Thanks JMS, wish I was able to "work" from Kurnell, nice for some haha.

Yeah my mate was in at KP yesterday and talked to Steve about the kite, reckons it looks good as new. Because it was such a clean tear he reckons was super simple repair and can't even tell its there, only took him about an hour to fix it all up. So fingers crossed, could be the best of a bad situation.

jms
NSW, 131 posts
30 Dec 2013 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

How did it go?

I'm still not up and going, but getting closer each time. I have a bad habit of yanking on the bar to try and generate more power to brute force my way along, but I was told not to do that. I think the main key is to figure out which way I should be pointing myself/thekite/theboard.

Big thanks to Ian and the others at Kurnell who were giving me pointers.

I managed to do a powered faceplant which gave me a minor headache, a brief feeling of whiplash and salt water all the way up my nose and down into my lungs. I kept going though and progressed more after that and finished on a high note.

It was nice at Kurnell today. Some of the more experienced guys seemed to be staying out of the water due to fast tides?, but it was not too busy, not too quiet, and what seemed like decent winds to me.

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
31 Dec 2013 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jms said..

How did it go?

I'm still not up and going, but getting closer each time. I have a bad habit of yanking on the bar to try and generate more power to brute force my way along, but I was told not to do that. I think the main key is to figure out which way I should be pointing myself/thekite/theboard.

Big thanks to Ian and the others at Kurnell who were giving me pointers.

I managed to do a powered faceplant which gave me a minor headache, a brief feeling of whiplash and salt water all the way up my nose and down into my lungs. I kept going though and progressed more after that and finished on a high note.

It was nice at Kurnell today. Some of the more experienced guys seemed to be staying out of the water due to fast tides?, but it was not too busy, not too quiet, and what seemed like decent winds to me.

Was awesome session mate, got some pretty good rides. Longest one was from about 5m off shore out to about a line length from the green channel marker and then about half as far back again before I had to send the kite before I ran into 3 real newbs that were pretty much out of control lol.

Yeah I used to yank to hard on the bar as well, you end up basically giving it too much power and you stall the kite, or like I did today, boost the living fark out of the kite and get some serious freaking airtime. It would have been wilding amusing for anyone watching but it hurt like hell when I body slammed from about 2m up lol. It sounds counter-intuitive but you need to give it less power to get more. Basically you depower it (push bar out) to let the kite fall further downwind and further into the power window.

Vladan who I had my lesson with this arvo showed my a little different technique which worked brilliant, took a bit of timing and practice but it was certainly effective. It kinda goes like this:
- Kite to 12
- Take your hands off the bar, it WILL sit there for a lot longer than you think without needing any input from you.
- With both hands free you can now easily use both hands to get board on your feet.
- Leaving bar pushed out (depowered), swing kite slightly back to the opposite direction then dive hard and fast across the other side. When I say fast I mean FAST, I was in basically 22-24 knotts on my 11m today and I was diving from basically 1 o'clock to a bit below 10 o'clock.
This is where he changed things up from what I had been told previously and I found it so much easier to get power.
- As you feel the kite start to pull you, you pull in the bar to give you the additional power boost to lift you up out of the water. This take a bit of practice as too much and you do the flying leap of awesomeness I did today lol. It will take practice and will depend on the wind and conditions etc.
- As you roll up over your board, push your front foot down wind. Aim slightly across the back of your kite.
- As you start gaining speed you ease the bar out otherwise you will basically out run the kite with too much speed, your lines will go slack and then you'll slow down and have to start again. This is what I keep doing.
- Once you get speed and feed the bar out a little, time to lean back and edge the kite. I only actually edged a couple of times, I think I have trust issues with leaning back and just expecting the kite to hold me. Kind of like when you abseil for the first time, that first step over the edge when you lean back on the rope, the first time it feels fkn weird but once you do it a few times you just do it without thinking.
- From here it's just a matter of feeding the bar in and out to keep the kite in the sweet spot in relation to your speed, how much you edge etc. It purely comes down to feeling it.

I know we were talking about how to find the right direction to head etc. One thing I found helped to find it was once I send the kite to 12 and slip the board on my feet before diving the kite properly, I tuck my knees right up and move the quickly to 11 (or 1 depending on the direction you are wanting to go) and then back to 12 again. What I find this does (as long as your legs are tucked in) is drag you around so you are facing the right direction, if you are swinging your kite to the left, put a bit of pressure on your right foot, this ensures you swing around and you then use your board like a break. Now dive your kite, push your front foot in the direction you want and off you go.

Just my 2 cents and what is running through my head after today's lesson.

jms
NSW, 131 posts
31 Dec 2013 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
It sounds counter-intuitive but you need to give it less power to get more. Basically you depower it (push bar out) to let the kite fall further downwind and further into the power window.

Aha! One of the experienced guys was telling me to keep the kite further downwind, but I was having difficulty figuring exactly how to do that. I think a combination of this and pointing the board in the correct direction are the way to go.

Where I'm up to (when it all goes right) is that I get up and running, go a little distance, then slow down and fall back in the water. I'm not going too far downwind because the board slows down. I might be going too far upwind, but I lose pull on the kite too, so I'm sure it's my kite skills I need to work on.

Select to expand quote
- As you start gaining speed you ease the bar out otherwise you will basically out run the kite with too much speed, your lines will go slack and then you'll slow down and have to start again. This is what I keep doing.

On reflection, this is probably exactly what I'm doing (when everything up to this point goes right). LIGHT TOUCH ON THE BAR for me (seems like a good rule for all of life actually!).

It's good to hear that you're progressing and getting that giant airtime lol!

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
31 Dec 2013 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah without seeing it, it sounds like you are doing the same mistakes as I am.

If you are sinking bum first back into the water this generally means you are pointing too far upwind before gaining enough speed. Try straightening your front leg a bit more to push the angle of your board further down wind, then once you have some speed up you can transfer more weight onto you back leg to point the board across wind rather than down wind as much and push on your heels to edge the board more.

If you slow down and feel like you are getting pulled over the front of the board, what I was mostly doing yesterday, you are probably choking the kite. Essentially trying to give it too much power by pulling the bar in or not diving quite hard enough. What happens (from what I can figure out) is you get the initial burst of power to get you up, then you keep the power on, or keep increasing it until the kite swings right around to the edge of the window. This washes most of the power out of the kite, you sink back into the water as the kite drifts back from the edge and picks up a little more power which in turn pulls you over the board.

I was mostly doing the second one, kept getting too excited trying to hold the power on. I would realise too late that I was stalling the kite, let the bar out, kite would drop back from the edge and gain some power but by this time it was too late and I had already slowed enough that the board was under water and acted like an anchor on my feet as my top half was pulled over the board. I did however start to feel when this was going to happen and before I let the bar out I would give a quick hard pull on the bar to turn it towards 12 then let the bar right out. What this did was stopped my getting pulled over as hard and stopped me getting pulled off the board, I would just kind of roll onto my stomach, bend my knees to kind of lift the board up behind my butt then once the kite was at 12 and settled I could take the board off my feet, bring it around the front and try again.

Again, one of the biggest things I learnt yesterday was more kite control, or lack of really. The kite is actually quite well behaved when left alone. I could give it a pretty hard pull to turn it to 12, let the bar right out and it would basically float itself up and sit there, occasionally a quick, short, sharp pull on the opposite line as it was approach 12 was needed to slow it down if I got a little too eager sending it but that was it. I was then free to use both hands to sort the board and myself out.

Glad to hear you are progressing so well mate, I am a long way from consistent water starts but getting there. I have done a few good ones where everything clicked and trust me it is sooooo much easier. You're not fighting the kite, board or wind and everything flows and just feels right.

jms
NSW, 131 posts
31 Dec 2013 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Haha, more than once I was standing on my board without it moving, sinking down to my knees, with the kite having gone back up to 12... I'd try to dive it again to do a sort of standing start, but no dice!

I think you've got it - I'm suffering from a lack of feel for the kite in a dynamic situation, combined with board issues - or in other words getting everything wrong! Ah well, as I say every single time I go out - I'm sure I'll get it next time.

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
31 Dec 2013 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jms said..

Haha, more than once I was standing on my board without it moving, sinking down to my knees, with the kite having gone back up to 12... I'd try to dive it again to do a sort of standing start, but no dice!

Yep, you can't restart from a bad start, you have to reset everything and start again otherwise good chance you are about to get pulled over the board and face plant. I found the sinking down while standing tends to be from not diving the kite enough, you get just enough power to kinda get up and going a couple meters but almost instantly you slow to a stop and start sinking down. Just sit the kite at 12, lie back, tuck your legs in and use your board as a brake then try again.

Select to expand quote
jms said..
I think you've got it - I'm suffering from a lack of feel for the kite in a dynamic situation, combined with board issues - or in other words getting everything wrong! Ah well, as I say every single time I go out - I'm sure I'll get it next time.

It will come man, trust me. I've just been lucky with the instructors I've had and the help I have gotten from other more experienced guys on the beach. I still have a long, LONG way to go before I am going to be confidently and consistently getting my water starts. Reckon I am about 50/50 at the moment of at least getting up, staying up and under control are a whole other story though haha. As I have had told to me several times it is like driving a manual car (or motorbike as the case may be), at first getting the co-ordination of clutch/gear shift/throttle are a complete shambles, you keep crunching gears, slipping the clutch etc. Then slowly you start understanding the theory, you know what you have to do and can see what it is you are doing wrong, then slowly but surely you start getting the timing right and before you know it you are shifting gears without even thinking about it and you can tell what needs to be done just by the noise/feel of the car. Think how many hours it took you to be able to be that confident on the bike, then realise that really, you only kite 1-2hrs at a time and you already understand the theory.

It will come mate, just get on the water as much as you can.

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
2 Jan 2014 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Well I officially had my best session yet yesterday at Kurnell, not a bad way to kick off the new year

My water starts are becoming a lot more consistent, maybe 8/10 tries I am up and going.
Now I just need to work on staying up and edging more, also getting the feel for and learning how much bar to pull in before it chokes the kite, this is generally my biggest reason for stopping. Choke kite = no power.
The biggest problem with my water starts at the moment is that I don't dive the kite hard enough on my starts. Often I get up but haven't quite got enough pull/power on the start to get right up out of the water so I end up dragging the board partly underwater and can't build any speed. I think I am trying to point too far across/up wind as well which is not allowing me to build enough speed before i edge.

That being said though, I hit a few personal milestones yesterday.
- I only had the kite on the water once after a bad water start. This was the first session that I was actually able to pack away a dry kite, it was a rather pleasing moment
- I had 2 really good runs where I water started right on the first go, built speed and edge for a good 200ish meter run out past the groins before I got too excited and brain snapped, forgot what i was meant to be doing and lost power in the kite, sank back down and tried again. This was all goofy side as well, it's funny, I am now struggling with my regular foot direction lol.
- And my personal favourite, I didn't get a single sinus clean out, no head dunkings for me. No massive stacks, only one reasonably good stack where I had a bad start and got pulled over my board when I caught the front edge, but I felt it happening, sent the kite to 12 and rather than body slamming the water I got body dragged and used the lift to kind of just flop/ease myself back down. Other than that a few bad start in the deeper water where I didn't dive the kite enough but that was it really.

Super stoked to start off 2014

jms
NSW, 131 posts
3 Jan 2014 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome! Nice to hear you're progressing quickly, and that you're finally getting some good sessions in!

Big congrats on using the kite to save yourself during a stack! It must be starting to become a bit more instinctive.

PS - I'm not complaining about the steep learning curve, I love it really!

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
3 Jan 2014 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jms said..

Awesome! Nice to hear you're progressing quickly, and that you're finally getting some good sessions in!

Big congrats on using the kite to save yourself during a stack! It must be starting to become a bit more instinctive.

PS - I'm not complaining about the steep learning curve, I love it really!

Thanks mate, yeah it's about time something went my way after the crap last few weeks I've had.

Not sure it was instinctive as much as it was just luck haha.

Have to agree there, the steep learning curve does make for a lot of fun moments

manlykiter
NSW, 66 posts
5 Jan 2014 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

anyone hitting botany bay today?

jms
NSW, 131 posts
11 Jan 2014 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Progress! I went out yesterday, and can now get up and go for a little while. I think we were right about the two key issues - pointing the board downwind, and not choking the kite by pulling too hard on the bar. It's a big step forwards as now I have time to think about and correct any issues, rather than getting up and falling back down right away.

I had an "exciting" experience - my DD fell out, and I dropped my chicken loop! I had a brief thought about trying to fly the kite unhooked, but gave up that idea pretty quickly as I didn't have the trim strap pulled in at all. I then tried to grab the chicken loop with one hand, while the other hand was on the bar. The kite did a (surprisingly tight) loop, sending me downwind at top speed. At this point, I managed to grab the chicken loop and let go of the bar and everything settled down.

While it was all happening, I forgot about my leash, and that just letting go of everything was a fairly low drama option. I think if it happens again I might try and go straight to that option - it was great that I regained the loop and was able to continue kiting, but I'd rather that my instinctual reactions would lead me to a depowered situation rather than looping the kite! Of course when I'm more experienced, I'm sure that sort of incident can be controlled much more calm way, and I won't need to flag; but any time it gets out of control I should be killing the power.

I'll be going out in the afternoon/evenings later this week, if anyone wants to join me.

Kitebike
NSW, 29 posts
12 Jan 2014 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

It's great to read that guys are progressing... Why is it when I am free, the wind hardly tips 12 knots at Dolls...?

It's equally painful watching England lose the cricket!

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
20 Jan 2014 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

Well I'm back from far north NSW and the curse continues.

Out of my 2 weeks that I was meant to spend kiting every afternoon I hit the water a total of ZERO times
Talking with the locals up there and it has been the worst season for wind that most of them ever remember. I saw one day that the wind was not direct on shore and a total of 2 days where it actually got over 10knts. The kite spot where you can usually see 20+ kites every arvo, I saw one and he was on 15-17m kites most days and struggling to get out through the direct on. You guys have been getting great wind down here the entire time but as soon as I get back down the wind turns to crap down here for the entire week.

Congrats on the progress JMS!!! Sounds like you are ahead of me in the progress stages now. Reckon I am going to be back to square one after 2 weeks of nothing.

manlykiter
NSW, 66 posts
20 Jan 2014 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

dam thats some bad luck warehouse13 !!

I got back from NZ around the beginning of Jan and now my eyes have recovered from surgery ive been getting out when I can. Im progressing slowly, but usually feel ive impoved something at the end of the session.

My biggest problem is the wind has been too strong for my comfort zone and as such im looking a 9m kite to compliment my 12

Hope to see you guys out there when the wind picks up next!

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
20 Jan 2014 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

As a side note, I was planning on heading to Old Bar over the coming long weekend but as it seems the wind is going to be completely missing up there I was considering maybe heading out to Pathers Cable Park for a day or two instead. Anyone interested in getting a little board time if the wind decides not to co-operate this weekend?

jms
NSW, 131 posts
22 Jan 2014 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

I don't think I'll be ahead - I didn't manage to get out much last week in the end, was pretty busy. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and at the weekend wind permitting.

I tried going out on Sunday in the southerly at Doll's, but I didn't have much luck. The wind was a bit gusty, dropping down to a level where it was hard to keep the kite up, and was on-shore. I think I could have coped with one or the other, but both at the same time was too much for my newbie self!

I'll pass on the cable park - need to recover financially after the holidays.

Warehouse13
NSW, 185 posts
22 Jan 2014 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Well I'm hopefully getting out tomorrow as long as the wind keeps up so I will see how much I've forgotten.
I wasn't getting up that confidently myself last time I was out. Maybe 100-150m, basically 10-15m out past the groynes at Kurnell but that was quite on shore so the tack was very diagonal. And that only happened maybe twice the whole session. Most of it was spent starting then sinking and the couple times I did get up I think I only really edged the board once, maybe twice.

Anyway I got the idea, just have to get the practice. My goals for this "season" are to be able to confidently water start both ways, basic direction change (slight sink into water while starting the opposite way), starting running upwind, start working on better transitions (slide trans etc). As long as I can get the time on the water I think they are achievable, I am certainly going to be trying to get out for as long into the year as I can and even going to be looking at some other spots where I can possibly kite further into the colder months.

Hopefully some board only time at the cable park will let me at least get use to how the board reacts, and the feeling of the balance and edging the board so that I can at least get that under wraps.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing The Hookup

"Beginner kiting buddies Botany Bay" started by Tootharoo