Falls creek snowkiting 2012

Created by polykarb > 9 months ago, 20 Jun 2012
polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
20 Jun 2012 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

Hey,

It's on at falls this year!

Hopefully more snow arrives this week, need another layer of the white stuff to fully cover the zone.

I'm living up here for the season so will try to report conditions etc, if your headed up for a kite let me know, could join ya if im not working. (snowmaking / electrician)

Looks a great spot for snowkiting, can't wait to pop the cherry on my 9m Frenzy.

PGS
NSW, 69 posts
21 Jun 2012 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

I'm there on 9 July.

Kiting up on Nelse/Spion Kop if conditions permit, otherwise I'll just hang out with the yo-yos.

Would love to hear your reports, especially what conditions are like on Healy spur.

ando313
TAS, 156 posts
25 Jun 2012 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Polykarb,

I'm on the boat this weekend to work the season also at falls, real keen for a session with ya.

I will be flying either a blue or orange catalyst...

Ando

Kaoz
QLD, 1 posts
27 Jun 2012 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hey mate!
Where in falls creek can you snow kite?!!!
Can you access it by foot/ lift ???
I'm at falls right now and have my kites.
Keeeeeeen!!!! Yeeehaaaa

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
1 Jul 2012 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Heaps of snow kiting around falls.

Lots of snow now too, just need a clear day now with consistent wind.

Maybe later this week??

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
3 Jul 2012 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Today was first kite at falls, and with the 9m frenzy.

Ando showed up too, so it was a ozone sponsored event. Lol.

Kited the ridge between summit and eagle chairs.

Not much wind but could still climb and get a little bit of extra pop off the features.

Very happy with the new kite!!

Weather looks great for next couple of days, maybe not enough wind tho?

The snow is great, will try and take some photos next session.

ando313
TAS, 156 posts
4 Jul 2012 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah man it was just enough wind for the first session! was pretty fun.

The crew here said last night they would like us to stay well away from lifts and stuff, about 500m. It puts the summit area off limits then, I reckon we will find something over the back near the ruined castle so we don't piss anyone off... ooops

Whats the plan with back country missions? do we need to sign in and sign out anywhere? Just in case **** gets REAL!

Yeah Ozone dominating yesterday, nothing beats it... But if another kite company showed up with bikini promo girls I would happily fly that shiz bro!!

Bring on the wind!

GLOVE
ACT, 18 posts
4 Jul 2012 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,
Im up on the weekend of the 20th.
Im going to bring my 6M ozone access. Ive never snow kited but have a land board and kite surf aswell.
Im keen to give it a go if you guys wanna watch me face plant give us a yell.
Lift tec/ sparky aswell.......

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
5 Jul 2012 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

FYI.

It is a good idea to check in when your out in the backcountry.

Early days, but if you get hurt or in trouble it may save your life.

Either use this forum, or log intentions with falls creek events, until something else is in place.

It's epic kiting up here, enjoy.

As soon as you launch a kite up here you have 1000's of people watching you, don't do anything silly.

doycle
NSW, 89 posts
5 Jul 2012 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Glove I'm heading up to falls on the 21st July for a week and keen to try out snow kiting if theres wind ill defs be pumping up :D (only have inflatables )

P.s does anyone use LEI's? was thinking of taking up a 9m & 13m edge?

ando313
TAS, 156 posts
5 Jul 2012 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Doycle,

The Ozone Catalysts have been going well, a 10m Cat vs 9m Frenzy had the Frenzy come out on top in a race along the top near ruined castle.

Check the forecast and weather charts for Falls Creek and keep an eye on the live readings before heading out.

www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60801/IDV60801.94903.shtml

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
6 Jul 2012 2:52AM
Thumbs Up

Today I bought a acr "resqlink+" emergency personal locator beacon.

Hopefully something I'll never have to use, but.

Need wind!!

GLOVE
ACT, 18 posts
6 Jul 2012 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Doycle,
I have a 12M switchblade that I might bring along as well.
Give us a bell when your up.

Cheers.

PGS
NSW, 69 posts
11 Jul 2012 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Had a good session up around Mt Nelse/Spion Kopje/Timms spur on Monday.

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
12 Jul 2012 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

How do you access the Spion Kopje area?

I would be interests in joining you next time your headed out that way.

I'm guessing you go across the dam wall and start somewhere near there?

Thanks, Karl.

goshen
VIC, 30 posts
12 Jul 2012 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

hey; awesome Pic PGS...
I did a big tour last year that went across the dam wall and all the way around to the South end of the dam, it would be a short? hike up the ridge to the plateau on top to access some amazing terrain!

Can't wait to get up there this year... Just trying to get my act together.

ando313
TAS, 156 posts
12 Jul 2012 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

That's a top shot, I was eyeing off that range all last week..

Will be really keen to get a crew together and do an all day mission, have lunch up there.

Next clear day with a good breeze and its on!

PGS
NSW, 69 posts
13 Jul 2012 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Some more pics:

Somewhere on SK spur, FC in the background.

My campsite 1/3 of the way up Heathy spur.

How to get there?
You probably know about all this but you need good quality snowshoes or touring skis and have to be totally self sufficient and ready to spend a night out if necessary, I'd be taking a topo map, compass, sleeping bag, mat and a survival blanket each plus a couple of extra liters of water.

-Cross the dam, sign out in the intentions book

-If you are trying to get up high quickly then follow the BHP road past the Rocky valley pondage for 2 km, then head NE up the Watchbed creek valley (Following the Big river fire track pole line)

-If there is a good breeze blowing then you may alternately want to kite on upper Heathy spur (recommended for a first trip) then head up the ridge from about 200m past the dam wall in a NNE then E direction BUT MAKE SURE YOU USE A GPS TO SET WAYPOINTS EVERY 500M - if the vis craps out when you are returning then you will know the way down the rather confusing terrain of the spur. There may be a trail, but it goes all over the shop.

-You are headed for an area known as “the park” about 1800m south of Mt Nelse, it is about 5-6km from the dam wall to get here. This is quite a good kiting area in it's own right, but a bit affected by windshadow off Nelse where there is North in it.

-If your'e keen and still have juice in the tank then you will need to follow the pole line up and left of Mt Nelse, two pole lines lead off just below Nelse, the W one heads off to Edmonsons hut, I recommend you visit the hut and mark it on your GPS - it would make a good base or emergency shelter - you can then just plug straight up the drainage North of the hut to get back to the pole line.

-Mt Nelse and Baker spur make for great kiting in winds from any directions, if you are still good to keep going then head North and West out to Spion Kopje, there is a massive amount of snowkiting terrain up here - similar to Cock's harbour near Kosciuscko but more featured. The only ways back are the same ways in, SK is only 4km from FC in a straight line but about 15km from the Dam wall so it's a long slog back if you lose the wind or bust your gear.

I'm a NSW kiter so I will probably not be back for a while except maybe for Mt Bogong where I will definitely be taking care not to be crazy-lofted like somebody I know

Bogong from SK

ando313
TAS, 156 posts
14 Jul 2012 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Great pictures and info. How long did you camp out for?

PGS
NSW, 69 posts
15 Jul 2012 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

It was a real fly by night trip.

I turned up at the resort on the 7.20pm bus, walked over the dam and set up camp a ways up Heathy spur in the dark. Kited my arse off the next day, slept the second night in camp then woke to rain next morning... cracked the ****s, skied out and caught the 10.20 bus back to Albury where I sat in the pub all day.

Good times

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
15 Jul 2012 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hardcore,

Anyway, it's been snowing on/off all day, as soon as the cloud lifts there is going to be some rippa kiting up here.

20cm overnight, maybe another 5 or so today, tonight??

The powder was epic today, pity the runs are soo short.

Snowkiting is defiantly where the party's at.

My days off are Thursday/Friday, I'll be kiting if it's on.

Hopefully don't have to wait that long!! Addicted.

GLOVE
ACT, 18 posts
16 Jul 2012 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

I arrive on friday and stay till Monday.
Cant wait to get the kite out and snow kite for the first time.
Yeeooow!!!!

ando313
TAS, 156 posts
17 Jul 2012 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

This is the local playground on top.. Went for a mission and found some cool features over the back...

Haven't seen sun for over a week! I can't afford a Ski-Doo but did buy my mate below who sleds me between the pubs... I feed him scraps from my lodge and judging by his teeth the junk we feed the school groups is pretty heavy duty!!

klap
10 posts
19 Jul 2012 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

doycle
NSW, 89 posts
20 Jul 2012 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Driving down tommorow (21st) and staying till the 28th. Will be heading out with bright blue edges when the wind is on. Ive never been to Falls Creek b4 so du just get off either scott or ruined castle and ski/walk away from the crowds and set up? Is there a best wind direction?

Hopefully see some of you on the snow :)

klap
10 posts
21 Jul 2012 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Epic day snow kiting, had sooooooooo much fun...

Ando has more photos coming.

ando313
TAS, 156 posts
22 Jul 2012 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

So we finally decided to take out the camera to get some photos. Cool location behind Ruined hit up in the nice southerly yesterday..

Photos by both myself and polykarb

PGS
NSW, 69 posts
24 Jul 2012 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like fun fellas.

rps
VIC, 605 posts
25 Jul 2012 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Great shots!

Nice to see some sun.

ando313
TAS, 156 posts
25 Jul 2012 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

We were hanging so hard for sun! hopefully getting a top up of snow in the next couple of days and now we know where the powder will sit its game on

KPG Used
VIC, 11 posts
31 Aug 2012 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

From the NSW topic "Great to see some inflatables tearing it up! Looking to plan a back country spring mission here at falls creek along Spion Kopje. Any of you guys been keen if the weather turns on?"

Andy - looks like the weather is turning it on Monday and Tuesday 3rd-4th Sept.
Can you get out? I was worried everyone had left Falls :-(
I can make it up Sunday arvo, to make the most of the good weather.

I'm super motivated to get up (pref day trips, but maybe overnight).

Let me know :-)
Goshen

Subscribe

Forums > Land Kiting Snowkiting

"Falls creek snowkiting 2012" started by polykarb