Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

2008 blokart sail

Created by peter81 > 9 months ago, 17 Mar 2008
peter81
QLD, 48 posts
17 Mar 2008 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

does anyone have a 2008 blokart sail that they could show a picture of the batten trim adjustment please.
i have a 2008 kart on loan and there is no adjustment of the battens.
there is a string loop, and a bungee loop, at the opening of the batten pocket. the battens have no hole to thread the usual strap through, and there is no strap or buckle.

i'm just wondering if there is something missing.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
18 Mar 2008 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

If you take the loop off the batten, can the batten end unscrew a bit to adjust the size?

Some windsurfer sails (older pryde) have a similar arrangement.

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
18 Mar 2008 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian said...

If you take the loop off the batten, can the batten end unscrew a bit to adjust the size?

Some windsurfer sails (older pryde) have a similar arrangement.

we tried that, took a batten out and had a look, all solid, and flat, no moveable parts.

the only thing holding the batten in is a bungee strap, and very slack at that, with not enough strength to hold the batten in yet alone hold some pressure on it to give the sail the shape it needs.

i used some zippee ties, to add some tension to the sail, but this is not a solution, just a bodge up, quick fix.

HELP PLEASE SOMEONE!!!

if i could see whats missing i could make something to do for the big weekend coming up.

STEVO - Please contact joe and ask him whats missing and if possible bring them with you.

hills
SA, 1622 posts
18 Mar 2008 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Could it just be the batten is too short? Ask someone to measure that batten in their sail.

blokam
NSW, 37 posts
19 Mar 2008 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

Hi There,
are you using both shock cords ?
As far as I know you are supposed to use both shock cords into the end slot - this will increase the tension in your batten.
Where did you buy blokart from ? did they not explain that to you ?
Cheers

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
19 Mar 2008 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

blokam said...

Hi There,
are you using both shock cords ?
As far as I know you are supposed to use both shock cords into the end slot - this will increase the tension in your batten.
Where did you buy blokart from ? did they not explain that to you ?
Cheers

there are not two shock cords. only one (black), the other is a string/rope (white) and it wont reach over the end of the batten no matter how much the batten is pushed into the sock.
the kart is on loan to me. (long story)

but thanks for your reply.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
19 Mar 2008 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

I would ask this question on the windsurfing forum here:

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=8

There are some very cluey and experienced guys on there that may be able to help you out.

blokam
NSW, 37 posts
19 Mar 2008 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hello again,

Yes, you are correct - there is only one shock cord - but if you double it over the end of the batten you will get the tension you require.

The shock cord should be going through a top and bottom loop where it is attached to the sail - hard to show you over the net - but if you grab the cord in the middle you will form two smaller loops, then pull the smaller loops over the end of the batten - hope this helps you.
Cheers

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
19 Mar 2008 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

blokam said...

Hello again,

Yes, you are correct - there is only one shock cord - but if you double it over the end of the batten you will get the tension you require.

The shock cord should be going through a top and bottom loop where it is attached to the sail - hard to show you over the net - but if you grab the cord in the middle you will form two smaller loops, then pull the smaller loops over the end of the batten - hope this helps you.
Cheers

ahhhh, that is good news...

i also got an answer elsewhere:

"No, nothing missing on the standard 2008 batten tension, that is how they are with the piece of bungee cord holding the batten in place.

For the more serious sailor we have available a batten tension kit which allow for the battens to be tensioned via a lock and key system, it is very simple and works extremely well, the kits retail for $42.80 and comprises of 5 tensioners and one key for adjusting tension."

so there we have an answer, thanks all

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

"2008 blokart sail" started by peter81