Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

2011 Queensland Blokart State Titles

Created by djb > 9 months ago, 28 Sep 2010
OLD FART
QLD, 80 posts
18 Apr 2011 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

OLD FART said...

Day Two (Sunday) Went great,2 extra contestants good fast racing and great results all round. Covered by channel 7-9-and ABC TV. Hope the wind is still up for the 100km tomorrow, (8.30pm at moment and good wind outside) Dave Moore

Monday 18-04.11. Well it's all over for another year, and what a success. Today we woke to rain and good wind, after briefing down to beach and light passing showers for set up. Most karts went for 3 mtr sail with some (mostley big boys ) opting for 4mtr. The 100km was run fastest time 2 1/2 hrs majority 3hrs to run the course, with good downwind legs and one section a bit of tacking to cover course. We now have not only Blokart grins, but Blokart hands (pruned) from wet gloves. For those who missed out we will have next years event dates up soon. Regards Dave Moore

djanus
3 posts
18 Apr 2011 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Just want to say thankyou to everyone involved with this event, I Had the best time and am sure others did too, met some great people and had some great racing. It was great to be able to experience the full wind range
From very little wind on Saturday and building to awesome wind today. Thankyou again and look forward to seeing u all on the beach soon

Dave j

OLD FART
QLD, 80 posts
19 Apr 2011 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

When's enough enough !!! 8 karts still rotating on Farnborough Beach this afternoon (Tue 19/04/11) Mostly blue sky with white clouds, medium breeze, good for 4mtr sails. Must admit sheet hand a little bit sore after 100 km race, but still smiling. . Dave Moore (The old Fart In A Blokart)

Barak BBB
QLD, 40 posts
19 Apr 2011 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

ABC News coverage of this great event :

www.abc.net.au/news/2011-04-19/sand-yachting-takes-off-in-australia/2609504

B

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
19 Apr 2011 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Nice Coverage.
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
19 Apr 2011 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

nice report, looks like blokarts are now sandyachts too and youve invented the sport. well done, what ever next,maybe sailing on salt lakes

hills
SA, 1622 posts
19 Apr 2011 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

Great coverage, and sounds like it was a great event. Well done to all involved!!

djb
QLD, 174 posts
20 Apr 2011 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

We made it home.

Happily exhausted.

Thank you to all who participated, both on and off the track. It was good to have the extra support from the Capricorn crew. Ideally, they will take over running the events at Yeppoon and we will concentrate on extra events up here and share the club equipment and man-power.

We had a great time and it was good to catch up with old acquaintances and make more new ones.

We will start planning next years event as soon as we are rested enough.

I will put up a list of winners when our gear is unpacked and a full list when Dean returns with the laptop.

Darren

Andy B
WA, 130 posts
20 Apr 2011 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys what can I say but thank you for putting on such a fantastic event and making us Perth blow in's feel so welcome,it is a long way to go but I would do it again and again and recommend this event as a must do
To put on an event like that is a real credit to the organizers ,Thanks Dave Dean,Darren Cameron and all members of the Cenral Queensland Club.
The highlight for me was the marathon,I have sailed quite a few in the past but Yeppoon was by far the best and yes even better than Lake Lefroy.
Well done Guys

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
20 Apr 2011 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

So is anybody sticking around for Easter?
Particularly interested in seeing how a Performance Heavy or Super heavy stacks up against a buggy.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
20 Apr 2011 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Andy B said...

The highlight for me was the marathon,I have sailed quite a few in the past but Yeppoon was by far the best and yes even better than Lake Lefroy.
Well done Guys
[

glad you got in a big run. , no more little marathons on lefroy, youll be begging to finish next time
will somebody please stay behind and blow away a buggy

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
20 Apr 2011 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Landyacht, your welcome to come along and give it a crack.
Just a friendly rivalry though, no hard feelings.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
20 Apr 2011 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

BrisKites said...

It is something that needs to be investigated. Im always impressed when I see where the buggies can go compared to a landyacht, but then just as Im about to get in one the owner tells me about their latest injury

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
21 Apr 2011 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

I had a run in my blokart against a kite buggy at Yeppoon 3 or 4 years ago.

On that occasion, in those conditions, with the sail and kite areas we had, as I recall, the blokart had the speed edge over the kite buggy but the kite buggy lost no speed in the turns.

I think the reasons for that were that I believe the kite was symetrical and therefore did not have to tack in the turns plus I am not a terribly accomplished land sailor.

The conditions on the day were moderate, maybe 13-18 knots. In lighter airs with a big kite I think the buggy would eat it but if it got up 25-33 knots I think a buggy even with a small kite would have control issues.

I am sure wayneo and some of the other Capricorn crew will be there.

djb
QLD, 174 posts
21 Apr 2011 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

2011 Queensland Titles Placings

2011 Queensland blokart Titles Results for first, second and third placings.

Overall (short course and marathon).
Production:
Light weight:
1st Blake Smith
2nd Ian Musker
3rd Trevor Smith

Middle weight
1st Colin Skinner
2nd: Steve Bundred
3rd Judy Cox

Heavy weight:
1st Cameron Moore
2nd Daryl Skinner
3rd Rodd Jackson

Performance
Light weight:
1st Barak Dekel
2nd Gavin Baguley
3rd Matthew Bianchi

Middle weight:
1st Gary Smith
2nd Tony Francis
3rd Ivan Paterson

Heavy weight:
1st Darren Bianchi
2nd Dave Blundell
3rd Bernie Cox

Marathon only: Across the line regardless of weight division.
Production
1st Rodd Jackson
2nd Cameron Moore
3rd Blake Smith

Performance
1st Darren Bianchi (first overall)
2nd Gary Smith
3rd Joe Millen

Full list soon on CQBC site at http://z3.invisionfree.com/CQBC_Forum/index.php?act=site

Broken Mast
QLD, 44 posts
21 Apr 2011 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

landyacht said...

BrisKites said...

It is something that needs to be investigated. Im always impressed when I see where the buggies can go compared to a landyacht, but then just as Im about to get in one the owner tells me about their latest injury

I can partially answer that question. I have sailed regularly along side buggies and kite boards and it entirely depends on weather conditions and possibly operator skill.
The guy I usually see at Bangalee beats me every time in moderate wind but I have the edge in light wind.
For some reason when the usual blokart suspects are out in gale force winds I have never seen a kite buggy so I can't comment on that area.
And BRISKITES, if you're up for it I'm at Mulambin Beach this weekend and will happily give you a run.

Broken Mast
QLD, 44 posts
21 Apr 2011 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Andy B

It's always great to have you guys at an event. You're always such good sports and generally nice people. Look forward to seeing you next time. And if WA hosts an event if the future a lot of us will be there.

Wayne

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
21 Apr 2011 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Its a small world, I used to work with the news cameraman that shot the story, when he was living in Adelaide..... Hello Mike T

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
21 Apr 2011 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guy's sorry if it looks like I'm hijacking the thread. The QLD titles looks like a great event and it's good to see so many involved in the race scene . I wish we had the same numbers

Moderators feel free to move my topic.

Mulambin beach looks a bit small to be fun. Only about 1km??
Any chance of sailing Farnborough Beach Broken?

Jas

Goz
QLD, 13 posts
21 Apr 2011 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

The more wind powered vehicles the better at Easter on Farnborough and Bangalee beaches the better.

The buggy pilots don't bite, drop in and say g'day

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
21 Apr 2011 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

BrisKites said...

Mulambin beach looks a bit small to be fun. Only about 1km??

Yes it is only about 1km long but that is long enough to get a blokart up to 66kmh in 18-20 knots of breeze.

It is a great beach. Give it a whirl Curl.

Barak BBB
QLD, 40 posts
22 Apr 2011 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Regarding Blokart Vs Kite buggy
In Ivanpah the kites could reach top speed at least 25% higher then a fast Blokart.
As long as we stay as a " one design " and kites are continuing to developed their wings this gap will only grow.
That's OK because the risk factor will grow as well

B

OLD FART
QLD, 80 posts
22 Apr 2011 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

I thought this was a 2011 Qld Blokart State Titles thread ??? (nothing against any other wind powered sport, love them all ) Let start a new thread on Blokart - Kite Buggy. Regards Dave Moore.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
23 Apr 2011 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

OLD FART said...

I thought this was a 2011 Qld Blokart State Titles thread ??? (nothing against any other wind powered sport, love them all ) Let start a new thread on Blokart - Kite Buggy. Regards Dave Moore.

Feel free to start it but it would seem pointless unless there is a "one design" kite buggy.

OLD FART
QLD, 80 posts
23 Apr 2011 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Wrap up of 2011 Queensland Blokart State Titles. First up, A big thanks to all who hopped in and helped make this event such a success, without you things don't get done. To the contestants (57) once again these these events don't happen without you. A big thanks to the two Perth contestants for your support. One thing of interest, Did anyone notice the number of husband-wife teams, also large nunber of father-son (myself in this bracket and proud of it) and not forgetting the fathert-daughter teams, shows the Qld family spirit in this great sport. Regards Dave Moore.

(PS.Thanks for your ideas Peter, but I think I will pass)

BGKD
1 posts
23 Apr 2011 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

wow, ive never seen bangalea without any blokarts, have you guys all turned tail and fled...... dont blame ya, last time out I was lapping you guys 3:2, I think if i were you Id be keeping a low profile too

Andy B
WA, 130 posts
24 Apr 2011 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hang on guys now lets not get nasty, this thread was dedicated to the efforts and experiences of those who took part in the Queensland State titles and Blokart sailors alike, not Kite buggies.
There is no call for personal attacks on this forum Cisco,and I thought with all your post experience you would have worked that one out by now,I think you need to pull your head in and extend the same courtesy to others as you would like for your self .
Andy B.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
24 Apr 2011 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

No problems Andy but I was just spelling it out the way it is.

Somebody else introduced the kite buggy subject and I responded to it as did landyacht, Barak and Broken Mast.

The old fart likes to couch his attacks in innuendo and inference with his "holier than thou" attitude. He delivered the sting and I scratched.

He will no doubt want to have the last word however I have had my say and I'm over it.

Fair Winds and Fast Sailing.

djb
QLD, 174 posts
24 Apr 2011 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the support Andy and I'm glad you, John and your wives enjoyed yourselves over here.

There is a section on Seabreeze for kitebuggies and their input.

This section is supposed to be for blokarts.

Darren

hills
SA, 1622 posts
24 Apr 2011 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, if you don't mind can we keep this thread on the subject of the 2011 Queensland Blokart state titles.

I'm keen to hear more about blokarts vs buggies, but I think that subject warrants its own thread. Perhaps start a new one under "land yachting/general" as I'm sure some class 5ers would like to get into the action too.

But like Briskites said "Just a friendly rivalry though, no hard feelings."

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

"2011 Queensland Blokart State Titles" started by djb