Class Five Design

Created by blake52 > 9 months ago, 3 Dec 2010
kiwi307
488 posts
20 Mar 2011 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

AUS 230,

Is the axle weight ratio still in at 80:20/ 40x40 rear axles and 20 front axle??

or is there something else better now??

Ron

Where on the planet did you get that axle ratio as being a desirable. Million miles away from anything I have ever used on over 100 yachts!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Mar 2011 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

K1W1307,
Those are the specs used in the US back in the 60's.
They came from the Land Yachting Bible least ways that is what is thought of the Book. Landsailing..... friom RC Models to the Big Ones. First Printing Circa 1973.

It would seem that we have made a few alterations to then but the Yachts are still very similar just the same.. The Book is worth the read.. If you can get a hold of one.
Ron

PS it is much easier to get through than the Tome was suggested.

kiwi307
488 posts
21 Mar 2011 4:25AM
Thumbs Up

Ron, I was reading that book freshly released when I was at High School (and I'm pretty sure I left school in 1966 and the book was in the library)! I started building in the 70's and believe it or not things have moved on in the last 50+ years!
The book has never been more than an interesting book to me, certainly NOT the bible of Landsailing. Even the Septic Tanks don't give it too much credence!
The Flat Earth society lives on!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
21 Mar 2011 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

It was either a different book or your memories are mixed up.. Us Old Farts di stuff like that.
Ron

kiwi307
488 posts
21 Mar 2011 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Whatever, I have a copy and it's still way out of date (just like SOME old farts)

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
21 Mar 2011 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

kiwi307 said...

Whatever, I have a copy and it's still way out of date (just like SOME old farts like Nikrum?)

Thats not a nice thing to say about Ron!

Even if it is true[}:)]

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
21 Mar 2011 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Whoa! Bitches!
May Hap the Publishers maked a Hoo Ha!

May Hap they are first publishing's of different material. WTF anyway. FActs is Facts, maybe we should apply Occum's Razor and perhaps Skin Schrodinger's Cat
Ron

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
22 Mar 2011 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Blake
How is the new yacht progressing.(we seen to have lost track of what we where discussing here)Over the last week I have rebuilt aus230 from the Y frame forward , I found everything was to far out of alignment, Some how got things wrong while making some frame changes so it was easier to start again, Everything is nice and square now ,I have changed the rear wheel angles to 14% and also made the steering adjustable forward and back so I should be able to get everything balanced now.
Cheers
aus230

blake52
123 posts
27 Mar 2011 4:31AM
Thumbs Up

I'm not actually building at the moment...should be sailing, the Americas Cup ends today, but family disasters kept me from going. 'Tis the season here should have some sailing adventures to report soon.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
27 Mar 2011 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

aus230 said...

Hi Blake
made the steering adjustable forward and back so I should be able to get everything balanced now.
Cheers
aus230

now were getting there, have you made that skinny front on the seat a bit wider so you can actually move your feet

blake52
123 posts
28 Mar 2011 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

...my fed 5 was like that (the Rocket less so), by the time I had the steering far enough forward there was no room for my feet to move. I ended up driving in the skinniest shoes I could find or just socks and more or less steering with my toes. If I hadn't sold it I was going to add "blisters" to the seat to give my feet room to move.
Blake

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
28 Mar 2011 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

I wear boat deck shoes so I really don't have a problem. Steering may be a little heaver but that does not bother me much.
I thought I had really stuffed up with the changes I made, it took a couple of frustrating races to get it sorted again, Moved the steering and then it started to preform well again. Certainly better being able to adjust the steering quickly
Cheers
aus230

desertyank
1260 posts
28 Mar 2011 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

aus230 said...

I wear boat deck shoes so I really don't have a problem. Steering may be a little heaver but that does not bother me much.
I thought I had really stuffed up with the changes I made, it took a couple of frustrating races to get it sorted again, Moved the steering and then it started to preform well again. Certainly better being able to adjust the steering quickly
Cheers
aus230

Can we see some pics of the new setup?

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
28 Mar 2011 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hey you fellas on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.... What is with the Alameda Runway?? Damn! Would it ever make a fine Land Yachting Venue?? You reckon you could gain access??
Ron

desertyank
1260 posts
28 Mar 2011 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Hey you fellas on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.... What is with the Alameda Runway?? Damn! Would it ever make a fine Land Yachting Venue?? You reckon you could gain access??
Ron

It's about a 6 hour drive from where I live in L.A., but maybe the S.F. area folks can comment.... And before you ask, LAX is a tad too busy for sailing[}:)]

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
28 Mar 2011 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah! Ok. It is just that I have been watching The Myth Busters tonight. Love it when they Blow S%^t up It was The Presidents Challenge Episode. I thought a Blind Man would see that the Hell Boys Fist part wasn't going to happen even before it was started but people want it done any way.. That series of trials were done at Alameda Runway as they called it so I went to Google Earth for a closer look. Damn I think Paul would commit murder to get a free shot at that sight Hey Paul??
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
28 Mar 2011 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

aus230 said...

Cheers
aus230
keep in mind that "heavier bit" is often what costs ground in a race.
being able to sense and react to slight changes is important, so slightly wider steering area makes it easier, and your not fighting the yacht so much

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
28 Mar 2011 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Yeah! Ok. It is just that I have been watching The Myth Busters tonight. Love it when they Blow S%^t up It was The Presidents Challenge Episode. I thought a Blind Man would see that the Hell Boys Fist part wasn't going to happen even before it was started but people want it done any way.. That series of trials were done at Alameda Runway as they called it so I went to Google Earth for a closer look. Damn I think Paul would commit murder to get a free shot at that sight Hey Paul??
Ron

isnt it part of a military base

sn
WA, 2775 posts
28 Mar 2011 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

that particular base was closed down, it gets used for a lot of hollywood scenes.

I think there are a lot of US military bases that have been pretty much abandoned due to budget cuts- if you can get access you would have an ideal place to play!

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
27 Apr 2011 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Here we go again, started to build the new frame for aus230, Not sure how it will go so I have decided to keep my current frame intact in case this one does not work out. main difference is 250mm longer axles and a plume type front.
Cheers
aus230

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
27 Apr 2011 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

hmmmmmmm........
in that case Id better 'fes up Vic, Im working on my OTTmini, but the world keeps getting in the way.
I do hate working on things and not telling anybody about it, and the construction section gets a bit slow too
have fun

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
27 Apr 2011 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Paul
Why do we do it.
Pics please.

Cheers
vic

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
27 Apr 2011 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

because we shouldnt, because its bad for us,because weve got a life
even as I start to build , I dont think I will fit in it, the kids are just drooling , looking at the awkward thing. give me a T frame any old day

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
28 Apr 2011 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

Some time ago we where discussing weights of class5 yachts. I just had a look at the plume factory class5 and there yacht comes in at 62kg. so I guess our yachts are not to far of the mark. Site can be translated to English (use Google translator)

www.plumefactory.fr/yachts/5-5-sport

kiwi307
488 posts
30 Apr 2011 7:00AM
Thumbs Up

To continue the theme, a while ago we were talking about...
Now that my son is partway (well almost finished) his engineering degree with Aero-Hydro dynamics and Composite engineering as majors, I have got the "best man in the street method for calculating the centre of effort" out of the senior lecturer in his department.
It is, wait for it... cut out a profile and hang from each corner with a plumb line across it! The windtunnel actually modify this some by moving forward from this point a small %age (not as much as 5%) depending on the draft of the sail. Apparently using the old traditional line to midpoint of the opposite side only works for pure triangles with no leach area.
Hate to say it, but "I told you so"

In regard Plume weight I am a bit surprised as they were always, in the good old days, the lightest of the yachts, seems even they have come to realise that very light does not work too well!

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
1 May 2011 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

not sure how this center of effort thing works. Any diagram's on how the measurements are taken and where does the pilots size and weight come into the effect. All quite new to me and I should imagine there would be plenty of others interested.
Cheers
Vic

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
1 May 2011 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Ditto

kiwi307
488 posts
5 May 2011 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

aus230 said...

not sure how this center of effort thing works. Any diagram's on how the measurements are taken and where does the pilots size and weight come into the effect. All quite new to me and I should imagine there would be plenty of others interested.
Cheers
Vic

Hi Vic, in relation to the centre of effort SOLELY, THE POINT IS THAT YOU DON'T MEASURE ANYTHING! What you do is make a scale model of the rig from card, Put a pinhole in each corner, and hang from each in turn. From the same pin hang a plumb line. Draw a pencil line roghly in the middle, then hang from the next corner and repeat. Where the lines cross is the THEORETICAL centre of effort. Previously a method used was to measure the midpoint of each side and run a line to the opposite apex. Again repeated for each side.
The other 2 points of interest for a design on paper are, 1) the centre of gravity with pilot in place, and 2) the centre of lateral resistance. Neither of these have I been able to find anything other than a "suck it and see" method (except huge amounts of complicated maths). Bill Finch showed me his method about 29 years ago and I still use it.
Centre of gravity, balance the whole yacht (with pilot) on a brick and move the yacht back and forwards till you have the CofG noted, it's where it balances.
Centre of Lateral resistance is found by tying a rope on and try to drag the whole yacht sideways (peagravel or wet grass is easiest). With a bit of luck and a fair bit of empirical testing (otherwise known as messing about) you will find this point.
If all 3 points line up, ie Cof E directly above the C of G which co-incides with the CLR, you will have a really sweet yacht with minimal steering input to keep straight. Strangely it also seems to be the fastest ones too!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
5 May 2011 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

So KIWI 307. You seem to be telling us to build the Chassis, less Mast Step, to the Rolling Stage Fit the Seat and a bunch of weight, to the point of EML (Estimated maximum Load) then start Dragging this lot about the Paddock, Sideways, on a rope until through adjustment you find a point of EB (Equidistant Balance) and at this point the mast Step should be placed???? No?
Ron

kiwi307
488 posts
5 May 2011 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

So KIWI 307. You seem to be telling us to build the Chassis, less Mast Step, to the Rolling Stage Fit the Seat and a bunch of weight, to the point of EML (Estimated maximum Load) then start Dragging this lot about the Paddock, Sideways, on a rope until through adjustment you find a point of EB (Equidistant Balance) and at this point the mast Step should be placed???? No?
Ron

As you finished by saying NO. If you can tell me how to have a complete yacht without a mast, mast step and sail, please advise, never have seen it done!
The C of G and your previously unheard of EML (at least by me) are not convergent. The Cof G can be easily adjusted, just move your own weight around. Previously you accused me of not being able to read!!!
Who said anything about equidistant balance?
CLR can be adjusted by weight, tyre size, pressures and any other thing you feel like , but don't put words I never used in my mouth.
Bye Bye Seabreeze, cant be bothered any more.

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Class Five Design" started by blake52