Class3

Created by aus230 > 9 months ago, 15 Apr 2013
landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
1 Jul 2013 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aus230 said..

Thanks Chook, I did not know about pre heating and I had forgot about cooling in lime(something that I learn't about in metal work classes at school which was a long time ago)

Thanks Bill, do you have a pic of your Sanderling don't I have seen it.

Front steering assembly and rear axle attachment designs I will use pics kindly supplied be Airtrack

doesnt get simpler than that!!!!

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
3 Jul 2013 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Its big and Black, Only the first coat, has to be sanded again then spray.

The all up weight so far less the mast and front end is 85kg so I don't think it will be much over the 110kg minimum weight.

Hope to start on the front end in the next couple of days. The pic gives the impression that the wheels are leaning out but they are not,ended up with an 1/8"tow in.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
3 Jul 2013 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

maybe some decent bearings in that front wheel?????
looking like the real thing so far
looks like i,ll have to get vindi out just so you can park next to something
you do realize that we may be on ponds this september dont you Vic
when will you start on the new trailer

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
3 Jul 2013 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Use this as a new trailer. Just replace front wheel with a tow hitch

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
3 Jul 2013 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

If its ponds it won't be coming.
Actually it will fit on top of the Nissan quite nicely,with the axle and mast underneath the hull, and still room for Barry's mini along side. The hull is the same width as my Kayak and I went around Australia with both the mini and Kayak on the roof rack with no problems.

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
4 Jul 2013 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

Actually I will still bring it to lefroy if it is finished

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
5 Jul 2013 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aus230 said..

Actually I will still bring it to lefroy if it is finished

Fantastic Vic!!!!!!

That will save me coming to get it.
Got to have something to drool over.

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
5 Jul 2013 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Chook !!!!!!! What about the Cake.......man, get your laughing gear into that

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
5 Jul 2013 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Perhaps we are just being soft about the water, after these great shots off facebook
www.pbase.com:443/waltercarels/jjdg13

kiwi307
488 posts
9 Jul 2013 4:39AM
Thumbs Up

Those rear axle stubs are straight off the DN plans which were circulated in the 70s. I got mine from Lambert! The front is pure DN/Charc/Sandrover too. All great stuff that has stood the test of time in conditions as shown in the pics.

VindisDad
117 posts
9 Jul 2013 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

Here is a pic of my old sanderling, in its last set up- with a new sail / mast & layover front end
I borrowed it from Jim (Paul's friend who bought it from me) who was kind enough to loan it to me in 2006, where I raced it in the marathon instead of mini vindi.

It was actually nicer to sail in its original form; I'll try and find an earlier photo. I originally built it in 1985.

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
9 Jul 2013 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Bill.
Nice looking yacht, where is it now.
Finished the front end today, I will smooth out the welds and paint hopefully tomorrow.
Ordered the rigging today so that I can start setting up the mast. Wish I had made the 6m mast now as I think the sails for the longer mast would be easier to find. but that will have to be the next project.(I will attempt a foam build for that)

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
10 Jul 2013 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
VindisDad said..

Hi Guys,

Here is a pic of my old sanderling, in its last set up- with a new sail / mast & layover front end
I borrowed it from Jim (Paul's friend who bought it from me) who was kind enough to loan it to me in 2006, where I raced it in the marathon instead of mini vindi.

It was actually nicer to sail in its original form; I'll try and find an earlier photo. I originally built it in 1985.

I think it might be sitting in a shed or behind a shed on pink lake road.
If Id known that the person buying it has a habit of buying cheap, then not looking after things, letting them rot then wanting top dollar if you want to buy it , i would never have let him buy it

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
10 Jul 2013 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

That's no good, Where is the sail?

Finished the front end, checked the weight again today, 78kg as it stands,(no mast or boom) Had a sander and drill inside of seat last time I checked the weight.

Will start on the mast cables/attachment ect next.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
10 Jul 2013 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
landyacht said..

I think it might be sitting in a shed or behind a shed on pink lake road.
If Id known that the person buying it has a habit of buying cheap, then not looking after things, letting them rot then wanting top dollar if you want to buy it , i would never have let him buy it

Geez Paul?..Let me know the address and I'll go round and kick his bum!!!!

Sacrilege, to let a fine bit of history just fade away.

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
12 Jul 2013 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Decided to bite the bullitt today and I will extend the mast to 610m(taper the last meter) What I have found out in the last couple of days is that the 5m mast is almost extinct and hard to get good racing sails for. I don't think it will cause any problems as it is way above the mast hound, So back to the shed

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
17 Jul 2013 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Extended the mast today, Worked out OK. Waiting for sail to arrive from Airtrack (very nice people to deal with), then I can fit the bolt rope tube. Then all attachments after glassing the outside of the mast.

Airtrack sail

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
21 Jul 2013 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Help, How are the 3 mast cables attached to the mast hound(3 shackles look like they will bind against each other) Is there some type of splitter at the hound.

kiwi307
488 posts
22 Jul 2013 4:35AM
Thumbs Up

Commonly used in Europe a ring about 50mm diameter and 6mm thick. Many European masts just have a hook, open at the top for the hounds fitting, 60 odd mm deep and made of 8mm+ stainless.
Remember you have NO tension on your sidestays, there is no point as any axle flex will take away any tension you used anyway, and the leeward stay will be relatively slack which tends to eliminate any binding. More wind, even more slack

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
22 Jul 2013 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Kiwi.
Placed the bare mast on today so that I could measure the stay wire's. Still have to add a bit to the rear end to fit the roll bar, should improve the look of the back end of the yacht.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
22 Jul 2013 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

OK, aus, what is the go with all these wonderful new innovations and machines?? It would be nice to see some footage of then doing their thing..

Winds have been terrible down here, suitable and wrong direction, right direction and unsuitable (30knots), too wet, too cold etc. BUGGER!!
Ron

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
22 Jul 2013 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ron.
Problem is I like building as much as sailing. These wooden things do not cost a lot (with a bit of scrounging and ebay) most of the cost has been in the rigging. So dammed if I know what the next project will be.
Always wanted to build a mini sub but Fran is not keen on that.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
22 Jul 2013 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aus230 said..

Always wanted to build a mini sub but Fran is not keen on that.

and you would have to paint it YELLOW.......nah it will never happen Vic.

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
26 Jul 2013 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Chook one of my race cars was yellow for about 2 weeks then somehow it turned black again, went quicker when it became black

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
30 Jul 2013 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Sail has arrived I can now finish the mast
Battens on a class3 wind mast are they tapered or left straight.?

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
5 Aug 2013 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted the bolt rope tube (sail goes on great) Started laying glass on to the mast today. Slow going due to cool weather.

Have to make the boom next.

Previous pic has vanished ?

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
6 Aug 2013 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Vic, if you paint your mast and sail black and leave in sun to warm up will that allow the wind to travel over quicker and make you faster like red cars are supposed to go faster

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
15 Aug 2013 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Still at it.
Finished the boom, most of the fittings and nearly finished the roll bar. Just need a couple of days without rain so that I can assemble it outside to make sure everything fits correctly then pull it down for the final paint job.

IPKSA
177 posts
16 Aug 2013 5:41AM
Thumbs Up

I'm totally blown away by this build, it's brilliant and it's so difficult to have to wait for the regular updates !

Well done ..

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
16 Aug 2013 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Few pic updates,everything covered in dust

Mast base
img]

Start to bond roll bar to body

[

front steering finished.

aus230 rebuilt and ready for Lefroy(new light weight rear wheels fitted.)

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Class3" started by aus230