Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Just working out a build

Created by Nikrum > 9 months ago, 26 Aug 2010
Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
8 Oct 2010 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Just thought I'd chuck a couple more pic's of the advancements as of today.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, mind you there isn't a lot showing up the pole at this point.
Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
12 Oct 2010 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

OK! So this is the new addition for further progress.
Luckily with my age and great wisdom I have managed to make a friend or two with skills other than what I have.
Turners are great to know
Let's just call him George and he was able to whip up a couple of Aluminum Plugs to be suitable as Axle Stub Retainers. Which I then had to Angle Bore to take the Stub Axles a process that is still happening
Anyway here are the pic's.

What cost the price of a Fibre Glass Capsule?? $150??
Ron

kiwi307
488 posts
17 Oct 2010 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ron, are the axle tubes a 'glass derivative? You might want to soften the edges of your axle plugs somewhat, ie radius the inboard edge. There is a rather large "stress riser" with an abrupt cut off as they seem to be from the photos. Could give a bit of a cutting edge into the tubes.
Nicely done tho!

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
17 Oct 2010 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

I concur(what kiwi said!)

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
18 Oct 2010 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Guys,
Yes! The Axles are Carbon Fiber Windsurfer Masts that managed to bust. Keep in mind that these Axles are Sleeved into the Spine "Y" housing with the section between sleeves, about 150mm between free floating.

Giving the Final Wheel Alignment some thought, a little Tow-In might be wise. Around 10/15mm over 5mtrs, may-be? Any thoughts out there??
Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
22 Oct 2010 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

OK. Just updating the build. Little Beast (Carbon Bug) I have started using the Epigen 907 with what appears to be excellent results.

There is still more to do though. According to Nick this stuff will take the Carbon apart before breaks (Sorry Nick) I have to protect my unit with an over bracing of Carbon Tape. Believe me this Beast should be PERMANENT!!
Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
3 Nov 2010 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Right. Here are some up dates on the Machines.
Firstly They are named prior to birth. The Pac' Mag' is now known as "Occum's Razor"
And the Mini is known as "Schrodinger's Cat" at the moment Occum's Razor is at a stand still awaiting a seating Capsule and some parts. However Schrodinger's Cat has advanced a little.

I hope the glassing will be strong enough to hold 4 mtrs of Sail The Mast Step doesn't look real pretty but looks aren't everything all joints are Carbon over S Glass, 10mtrs all up, and lots of Epoxy. Anyway Straight Up gut feelings are Ok. However once you have committed yourself on these pages it will be there to haunt you for life

Garn! Take a Punt and live with your bet[}:)][}:)]

Further to this I now have the Booms completed with Pulley Blocks and Jam Cleats in place. So all the silence on this front doesn't mean I have been standing about with my thumb in you know where My intent with Schrodinger's Cat is to, as suggested by Landyacht, incorporate the main spine and Seating Capsule into the one unit. So far the Wheels way more than the Chassis but I guess that will change smartly with the capsule added.
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
3 Nov 2010 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

thats BOOMS and JAM CLEATS

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
3 Nov 2010 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

So what are you?? My Spelling Police???
You gotta admit though----"They are a Boon"[}:)]
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
4 Nov 2010 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Ive had to put up with people saying sheath rope,boon,racket block.............. for over 30 years, and its not hard to say things right. Its taken a few years to stop people saying" so you build your own blokarts".
gotta have something to grind about when life is this good

AUS02
TAS, 1987 posts
5 Nov 2010 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Ron, great to see this project coming along and can't wait to see the carbon frames when they're finished. Keep up the good work!!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
5 Nov 2010 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

Gawd! 'av a whinge, why don't you Landyacht. Mind you I tend to get a bit out of shape with people, especially so-called Learned People, who are supposed to be able to read and speak "All proper like" getting it wrong.[}:)] Anyway,'av a whinge, why don't you

Guday AUS02, Thanks for that. Like they say "Slowly, slowly catchy Monkey, quickly quickly shaggy Donkey" Well something like that. The Carbon Frame is now Schrodinger's Cat (No bites yet, I guess everyone is "Full Bottle" on that one.

I am making changes to my sail and seat threads tonight, so have a look at them shortly.
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
5 Nov 2010 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

re the 6.00x6 alloy rims , try contacting Eddies Tooling Services. Adelaide 08 83471941. thats where all our previous one came from

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
7 Nov 2010 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Only 2 I can find Landyacht is Adelaide Tooling Service and Captain Eddie's Fairy Firefly.
I don't know what they cast you guys back then but weven second hand ones seem to be a tad in the Exy side.

Nope nope fish windy and easterly.
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
7 Nov 2010 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

i will check with my source , as he read it from the phonebook, something is amiss

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
9 Nov 2010 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Landyacht,
I have been through the Yellow Pages online and a lot of Eddies/Eddy etc come up but not Eddie's Tooling.

I reckon I will order the Alloy ones from the states,
Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
9 Nov 2010 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Ooooooooh! Damn! Bugger! My first Land Yacht Accident. Occum's Razor slipped from the Stands and fell in my foot. Bugger it is one of those Exquisite Pains that make you try to drag your injured part away even if you know it won't work. The foot isn't busted ( I think) but sure is painful.
Ron

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
9 Nov 2010 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Here is the link to eddies tooling for gokart wheels............

http://www.edwardskartwheels.com.au/home

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
10 Nov 2010 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you Gizmo,
You blood is worth Bottling. Even if only for Cockroach Poison.
Those certainly are a very nice rim and I have emailed for a Price List.
Regards,
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
11 Nov 2010 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

I am currently looking afield for wheels that I need

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/wheelix.html

They have a Steel 10" and also an 8" Spinner like Desertyanks
Both these designs look like they could fit the bill and also Ribbed tires can be supplied.
Waiting to hear from them at the moment.

Ron
I would go with the 8"rbbed, 4ply. the 2 plys wear out too fast

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
12 Nov 2010 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Bloody Landyacht!!!
Why do I bother[}:)] I do to all the trouble of tracking down this stuff and you have been there before me. BUGGER!

Here is the contents of a reply from AZUSA Eng'g.

http://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/wheelix.html

Good Afternoon Ron,

Thank you for your interest in Azusa Products for your Land Yacht use. Personally I love land yachts and envy those who have a place and means to have one. I am a peace & quiet person so it is right for me. Last ride was over 30 years ago.

Here is a bit of wheel info for you and you can decide what exactly you want to get pricing and shipping on.I am attaching catalog pages for your information and reference.

To fit within your size requirements the 8" wheels are to me the best choice. As you can see on page 6 there are 2 design choices with several bearing choices. Either the
Tri Star or the Spinner would work well for you. Both would accommodate the same tires see pages 12-13.

There are 2 you may like - both are round profile and OD is 16.5 - one is #7012 which is a rib tire Load Rating for 4ply which is what we carry is 670 lbs per tire.

The other one is a Smooth as they call it and has a very hard compound that wears well even though it is a 2 ply with Load Rating of 435 lbs.

As for the 10" wheel - it has always been an eye catcher and popular but we now have them stamped and plated overseas so the plating quality is poor and not even really a chrome appearance. We encourage all customers to purchase the Plain Black and have powder coated to match the project for a much nicer finish. The tires for these are ONLY available in Sawtooth and Universal Tread - much like a motorcycle. The diameter is 17.5"

Please study the spec page and photo pages and let me know what part numbers you would like pricing and shipping on. I also need your town and city/country code plus phone number for paperwork.

Joy @ Azusa

At this point I will go with the 8" Spinners they look very nice the Astro's however would fit the bill as well though they look a little Industrial.
Tires? It is a pity they don't come in a more suitable size but Beggars Can't be Choosers
Ron

I am also thinking Marine grade Anodizing

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
12 Nov 2010 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

no ron, the ribbed, round profile 480/400x8 4ply part no 7012 is exactly the tyre your after. no begging needed

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
12 Nov 2010 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Have you looked at Sysmic rims?

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
13 Nov 2010 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

What is it with you blokes?? Are you all trying to do my head in???? First I ask about wheels, tires, Rims etc very few have a definite answer. Now I make a decision and everyone has another solution. Stop it!! Stop it! That brick wall is getting horrible hard and my forehead is bleeding![}:)][}:)]
I will have a look at this Simsic fella.

Landyacht it is just as well you aren't running a 3D computer[}:)] Have you aver had someone reach out through the screne and grab you by the throat[}:)]
Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
13 Nov 2010 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

I know there are places to put add's! Does anyone go there???

WANTED-------------------------WANTED-----------------------
East Coast people please. NSW, Qld Vic' and SA

Required 1 x Mast Top section From a 5mtr+ Mast in reasonable condition and a stiff as possible. Anyway Talk to me Folks,
Ron

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
13 Nov 2010 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Required 1 x Mast Top section From a 5mtr+ Mast in reasonable condition and a stiff as possible. Anyway Talk to me Folks,
Ron

The chance of finding an exact fit to the bottom section you have is about 100/1.
Try going on ebay, your local sailboard retailer, or the local guys at the beach leave your phone number and see what they can come up with....

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
14 Nov 2010 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Well I got you there Gizmo[}:)] "Do Not Assume!
As you make an Ass out of You and ME[}:)]
Now who said I need the Mast Top for a MastHmmm

Anyway I was lucky enough to get enough parts in my initial Broken Bits buy to assemble 3 suitable Masts for my build Ooooh! Lucky Me. No I want this mast to either Extend or reinforce and existing Boom as my other alternative is to make one out of the 2 that I have, 1 does not make 2 land yachts.

Still WANTED-------------------------WANTED-----------------------

Ron

Even a substantial length of a mast top will be good about 2 mtrs of the tip section is best for internal sleeve.
Also just as a point; Now this may have been done before but I made a Base section for my shorter Mast by using a Longer Broken base and internal sleeveing a top section into it with an overlap of about 300mm this was Aroldited in place and a neat band of 90mph Tape (Chicken Feed/Crazy Clint's) to stop Carbon Splinters.

Another thing I have been thinking of and will start off this morning is a Special fixed File of Useful Contacts which all of you guys can or should use to save Re-boiling your Cabbage Not too many of you will have heard that expression before
Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
14 Nov 2010 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you Chaspie's,
I have an offer on a 2'4m Mast Top

G'day Ron,
I have a top section for an SDM mast that is 2.4M long that you can have for $50. I live in Launceston and could stick it on the bus and send it up to you.
regards,
Craig

Thanks Craig
Regards,
Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
26 Nov 2010 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

It is remarkable the pressure that is used to Sheet and Haul the Sail down on a LY. The Mast Top that I got was quite a bit stiffer than the one I was using for Occum's Razor/OR, which I thought would do the trick as a Boom, Hah! I finished up using both sections of mast to get a stiff enough Boom. That is one Boom stuffed up the other booms boom. After having fitted the 2 mast sections together and refitting the Hardware it now appears stiff enought to serve well as a Boom.

Schrodinger's Cat/SC now has a front wheel and steering set up and also the Sheet setup for the boom control.

In the next image I want to show the mast curve and the New Rimless Wheels I have fitted to SC.

[}:)][}:)]

Ron

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
27 Nov 2010 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

Your workmanship is looking really good there Ron, however, I do think you need to reconsider a couple of the design factors.

Firstly, the rear tyres look like they are perfect for the application but I have serious concerns about the rimless rear wheels.

I believe you will have a catastrophic failure of them under side load, to which they will subjected to in alternately opposite directions during the practise of land sailing.

All is not lost though. The tyres look to be ones that would fit a 6" rim. A pert near perfect plastic peripheral piece to suit 6" tyres is available at Enmach Industries, located here in Bundaberg. Click on the link and then click on Poly lawn products and you will see them.

enmachind.com.au/

Click around the site and you will see lots of other interesting products like plastic fuel and water tanks to suit 4WDs, camper trailers, boats and whatever else your imagination can cook up. Their prices are quite reasonable too.

The last time I bought a plastic wheel from them it came with 4" tyre and tube (not optional) for $60. The hub, from memory, accepts 6202 precision bearings.

The rims are what blokart originally fitted to their yachts and are more flexible and less brittle than the blokart branded wheels they now use.

Enmach I believe buys the rims from a manufactuter located at Whangerai, NZ.

Secondly. I think your sheeting angle is way off.

I suggest laying your seat back back another 15-20 degrees. If you do not want to do that, move the boom blocks forward to directly above the rear frame block.

Cheers Cisco.

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Just working out a build" started by Nikrum