Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Just working out a build

Created by Nikrum > 9 months ago, 26 Aug 2010
sn
WA, 2775 posts
7 Dec 2010 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations on getting the cat up and rolling!

looks real good to me (bad case of airstrip envy developing here...)

as for Schrodingers cat- the "big bang theory" has an explanation on youtube that works!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
7 Dec 2010 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Well if people aren't educated they need to be, even if only for menial reasons.

Now look up Occum's Razor. I felt that this applied to the big one as I was inclined to get a bit too complicated/High Fluting with my ideas. I guess I called it "KISS".

It is a bit Wild and Windy today to go back out on the Airstrip and it is realy hard on the tires so sn don't be toooooo envious and I can't understand why Landyacht wants to Plane my aircraft tires???? The Tatmac' will shave the fast enough[}:)][}:)] I don't have an electric plane but the big Bosch Belt Sander might do the trick with really course belts.

I don't know how long the top end of the Airstrip will be available as the Airport authority sold it off for development and some schmuck will no doubt want to take it over for some sort of storage (Shut you mouth, Silly Old Fart)

Ron

AUS02
TAS, 1987 posts
7 Dec 2010 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Well done Ron, SC looks great (dead or alive)! The carbon seems pretty stiff too, can't make out much 'sagging' despite your lightweight 100kg frame. Hope it all holds together, which I'm confident it will.

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
7 Dec 2010 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hmm! Landyacht it would appear that you have at least an inkling about the names..
Ron
2 secs on google sorts out names

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
7 Dec 2010 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you, thank you, thank you all Accolades will be graciously accepted[}:)]

It is very pleasing to do something for the first time and from unconventional materials. To have it all hold together for at least one ride, let alone around 5 hours work. I think I stated earlier that time will show all and test all. Considering the tremendous stresses that would be had at the Mast Step Joint I am surprised that it hasn't cracked up. I tested SC quite heavily, forcing it to slide side ways and pulling it heavily into and across wind generating as much pressure as I could in the wind available and dare say that when it lifted a wheel that it could have gone onto its side. I loosened the sheet to keep her right side up. In the early stages of testing there was a little creaking and groaning which settled down. To repeat myself again "Time will tell".

Tires are now the next thing, getting replacements.. The Hardware and Garden Shops are only too willing to sell you the Barrow but the spares etc.

Dave, if I ever get "She whom must be obeyed" to come and take some pic's of the sail and Carbon under proper wind stress you may change your mind. Even though the Spine is double thickness (1 x Helical wound and 1 x Parallel laid) it still torque winds fairly well.

It is funny/odd/strange, but I thought those names would naturally strike a little curiosity. I personally like them as they piqued my curiosity as an un-educated person. To cause no comment at all (Without probing)struck me as a little odd which only served to get my curiosity up again and make me wonder "Are these guys all well educated and "Full Bottle?" or are they just not "Curios"?". If the latter is the case then how come they are "Land Sailors" Hmmm! Curiouser and curiouser.
Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
8 Dec 2010 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

like i said ron 2 secs on google explains most names and helps people to seem "well read"

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
9 Dec 2010 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry test pilot1, I prefer to Dogpile.
Don't like Googling only use Google Earth.

Anyways I found them used in a book by Stephen Hawking "A brief history of Time". I tried to read "The nature of space and time "
In the first one there was much I couldn't get a handle on but then there was a lot that I could. The second?? Well I don't want to go there..

Mind you knowing the ideas behind those names I figured they were apt for my constructions.
Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
9 Dec 2010 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Stephen Hawking! Now there is a great mind.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
9 Dec 2010 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Ah! 'twas he whom made me realize that "All is as it should be in the Universe". However when it is all boiled down all the Boffins do is to take Common Sense and convert it to numbers and symbols (Mathematically Quantify) to find a Theorem that will describe it all. Ih! Maybe, maybe not. There is one hell uv a lot of info out there to deal with.

I suspect that Hawking and Co's String Theory is as close as they will get short of traveling into a Naked Singularity. I can tell you this much "It ain't gonna be me that travels there--------------------------------Least ways not in this life time

Given the latest info I wonder how hot that Big Bang Material was just prior to Decompression???? The Strings is Hot little buggers.
Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
18 Dec 2010 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

This is a bit of an odd one. If I check the Rear Wheel Alignment using Lazar and Paralleling by running the Lazar down the sides of the hubs I come well narrow at 4mtrs. However if use the same technique by running a Lazar across the hub at 90deg to the axis I finish up with only a small amount of Toe In about 1" over the width of Occam's Razor. Any remarks on the amount of Toe In advisable.
Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
18 Dec 2010 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

When you're on two wheels toe-in disappears so maybe mak a two wheeled landyacht?

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
18 Dec 2010 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hmm! Test Pilot.
Just think yourself lucky I am not a strong stone thrower or I'd bounce one off of your bonce! Cheeky Sod.
Ron

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
18 Dec 2010 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

This is a bit of an odd one. If I check the Rear Wheel Alignment using Lazar and Paralleling by running the Lazar down the sides of the hubs I come well narrow at 4mtrs. However if use the same technique by running a Lazar across the hub at 90deg to the axis I finish up with only a small amount of Toe In about 1" over the width of Occam's Razor. Any remarks on the amount of Toe In advisable.
Ron

Just a thought here, is the plastic of the hub exactly true? If the surface you're truing against isn't exactly 90 degrees to the hub then that might do it. Also perhaps try rolling the wheel 180 degrees so that what was on the bottom is now the top and see how the toe lines up?

For a quick test I'd roll out two lengths of christmas wrapping paper on the ground (it's the season after all), and roll the yacht along these lengths. If they start moving outwards then you know you've got toe-in

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
19 Dec 2010 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Nebs,

The Paper sounds like a good proving test.
AS FOR THE PLASTIC??? You insult me sir! I challenge you to a duel.. Land Yacht and Mast Lances on the Beach![}:)].
The wheels are machined Aluminum Rims with Air Track tires. They have no choice but to be square. Thanks for the thought though.
Ron

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
19 Dec 2010 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Its interesting that someone else has questioned the Rear Wheel Alignment and how its done and how can it be checked?, I asked the same question a long time and there seemed to be no finite convincing way of doing it. [all i seemed to get is "It was correct when it was made" or we have a "jig to test it"]
I at one stage spent about an hour or so talking to an Australian paralympian about the wheels on marathon racing wheel chairs, he made the comment that alignment was SUPER CRITICAL and over the marathon distances they do, even a very small error added up to a lot of energy wasted.
With that comment in my mind any slight bump, twist, gust of wind, or movement of pilot weight WILL change the alignment on a Y frame land yacht !!!! and if you did find a way of definitively testing the alignment it would need to be done with a fully rigged yacht and the pilot in the yacht.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
19 Dec 2010 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Gizmo said...

With that comment in my mind any slight bump, twist, gust of wind, or movement of pilot weight WILL change the alignment on a Y frame land yacht !!!! and if you did find a way of definitively testing the alignment it would need to be done with a fully rigged yacht and the pilot in the yacht.
whilst sailing at different speeds
so if you made the chassis really stiff with perfect alignment then the only time it would change is when you got a gust and the tyres distorted due to the chassis being really stiff............
so basically if you have a good flat sailing surface a T frame mini will perform as well as a Y frame and when it gets rough and uneven the more flexible Y frame goes better.....................

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Dec 2010 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Ok! It sounds like the Old Aussie adage "Near Enough (is good enough)" seems to hold true. Funny thing is I fitted the 6X6 Edwards Rims, Axle Stubs and Axles to Occum's Razor and took several hours (With the Flue, it entered every damaged part of me and I'm am just about crippled at the moment, Lower Spine)

I got it very near to exact and everything firm fitting. I pulled it apart and fitted permanent Fixings and put it back together and BUGGER it has a Toe out of about 4.5" over 6 mtrs. Oh well. Nothing can be done about it now.
Mind you I loaded OR up with my 100kgs and it didn't change 1mm. The Lazar Just tilted upwards. Further Tests tomorrow as I now have the Air Tracks fitted and had a little roll down the drive way. Feels nice and Cozy
Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
21 Dec 2010 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Ow Well! I did say I would post a couple of pic's. Please do not take notice to the Front Wheel Rig, "It Ain't Necessarily So" (Where does that Crap come from?)

I have also checked out the Toe Out. Like it or No I am going to have to do something about it. When "OR" rolls forward you can here the Wheels Scrubbing and when rolled backwards they Hop. Not nice

At this point All else seems to be fine. No
Ron

Hiko
1229 posts
21 Dec 2010 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Am I looking at this right but it looks as though you have a mega amount of trail
on the steering ? If it is as I think it will tend to turn you off to leeward I imagine
The pivot line of the steering should meet a verticle line through the axle of the front wheel right on the point where it touches the ground or very close to it

Clemco
430 posts
21 Dec 2010 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

I Think Ron just needs to do a bit of front fork bending. It will also fix the toe-out problem.

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
21 Dec 2010 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Not only will it fix steering and toe out it will level the spine and stand the mast up closer to verticle

Hiko
1229 posts
21 Dec 2010 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Four things fixed in one operation does it get much better than that?
Well yes it does it will look a lot better and the pilot will be seated at a better angle
Six things!!!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
21 Dec 2010 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Please do not take notice to the Front Wheel Rig, "It Ain't Necessarily So" (Where does that Crap come from?

The above was part of that post!! Damn It All!! You three can consider yourselves BITCH Slapped!! Now Go back and read my WORDS!! Do you know what words are???(*&%%$.
Either that or you are conspiring to get me going......... Well congratulations! You managed that quite easily.

Mind you, you just reminded me, that Wheel was not on it when I did the alignment. SOB! What ever gets your rocks off. I'll wear it this time..
Ron

Hiko
1229 posts
22 Dec 2010 5:03AM
Thumbs Up

Ha Ha! My most humble apologies Ron I realised after I had posted what I had done
My Dad had a saying "fools shouldnt see uncompleted projects" How right he was !
Your yacht looks great!! Am I forgiven?

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
22 Dec 2010 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

HIKO,
You're forgiven. Don't worry, Based on your Dad's saying I must be the greatest fool of all. Tell him he is Bitch Slapped and all. The saying also has a close relative. In a Court Room it is said a person who acts as both Lawyer and Client has a Fool for a client..

I have to admit that threads that you guys put forward certainly made me look back at how I set the whole thing up and stopped me from Racing into a premature correction. Just imagine, had I gone to it and pulled the Axles apart and Reset the Axle Stubs then when my new Front Wheel arrived I set it up as I want it.. The Toe in would have been horrendous . Not that funny realy if you are the one haveing to reverse you mistake but from the outside looking in it would have been a really good Cack.
Ron

Clemco
430 posts
22 Dec 2010 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

I Liked the way you did the forks on "the cat". Very stylish. Just need to add a steering rod setup like this.

kiwi307
488 posts
22 Dec 2010 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Gizmo said...

Its interesting that someone else has questioned the Rear Wheel Alignment and how its done and how can it be checked?, I asked the same question a long time and there seemed to be no finite convincing way of doing it. [all i seemed to get is "It was correct when it was made" or we have a "jig to test it"]
I at one stage spent about an hour or so talking to an Australian paralympian about the wheels on marathon racing wheel chairs, he made the comment that alignment was SUPER CRITICAL and over the marathon distances they do, even a very small error added up to a lot of energy wasted.

Perhaps wheel alignment needs a thread of it's own!
I reckon the reason this has not been resolved, is because there is no "right answer". The Glen 5 I sailed in Europe was best when set loaded and static, sheet pulled in etc with 1 metre of toe in over 3 km sighting distance. We had a pair of telescopic rifle sights which rested against the wheels, with exceptionally accurate legs to ensure they were level. The wheels had 20 degrees of lean in at the top. The next version of the Glen was totally hopeles with the same alignment, and ran much the same toe out to work. The Seagull Quebec was nearly parallel, the Fed 5 needed considerable toe out to work. The YOTT needed even more toe out.
My class 3 in the avatar was set parallel when the plank was level. As it was set up for both the front plank and rear to flex so the yacht stayed as level as possible under flex/load this seemed to work.
Harking back to the beginning, there is (in my opinion) no right answer.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
22 Dec 2010 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

kiwi307 said...
The Glen 5 I sailed in Europe was best when set loaded and static, sheet pulled in etc with 1 metre of toe in over 3 km sighting distance.

You can measure that?

I'm impressed

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
22 Dec 2010 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Well so far KIWI 307 seems to be the only one to, in a roundabout way, think as I do; "Near enough is good enough", in this case or " It's as near as "Damn It" is to Swearing. Anyway once again I've come to a screaming stop, waiting for my Front Rim to arrive. Then I can go about setting up the Front End and steering.[}:)][}:)]

Looking at your Rig CLEMCO I think I may be able to do something similar with OR's Steering. However I won't know until I get a Front End on the deck and doing it's thing. As for SC and my sailing prowess, I think the feet reach the job and perform adequately. It is all information not to be sneered at and to be used where appropriate.
I also agree with the dedicated Thread Idea and no I'm not going to be the patsy to do it.. I do not have the knowledge in this one

kiwi307
488 posts
23 Dec 2010 3:13AM
Thumbs Up

nebbian said...

kiwi307 said...
The Glen 5 I sailed in Europe was best when set loaded and static, sheet pulled in etc with 1 metre of toe in over 3 km sighting distance.

You can measure that?

I'm impressed

Hi Nebbian, if you read a little further, in relation to the rifle sights (telescopic), which were from target rifles, and if you knew of John Glen, you would understand. We had access to ex WW2 airfields so you could set up markers at the opposite end of runways, or indeed at Lythem beach to aim the sights at.

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Just working out a build" started by Nikrum