Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Just working out a build

Created by Nikrum > 9 months ago, 26 Aug 2010
kiwi307
488 posts
23 Dec 2010 3:20AM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Well so far KIWI 307 seems to be the only one to, in a roundabout way, think as I do; "Near enough is good enough", in this case or " It's as near as "Damn It" is to Swearing. .[}:)][}:)]

Not at all! What I am saying, and with a bit of experience is that there is NO RIGHT ANSWER. In the days when I was in Europe the competition was very hot (probably still is) and there were some very fussy builders and sailors. If you wanted to be competitive you looked for every edge. Each design has its' foibles.
If you consider that a number of 6 hour races were won and lost by less than 50 metres a 1% edge was worth having, and all the top sailors were looking for the mutliples of 0.1% as they all add up.
Just remember I am talking about class 5 and 3, I suspect that the Minis are not quite so fussy.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
23 Dec 2010 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Ok Guys quit it Already you are making my head hurt..

Why The Hell! Do I start these things

Questions like wheel alignment etc get my head working and analyzing the Dynamics involved or at least the ones I can obviously see.
If one takes a pair of upright wheels and aligns them to parallel each other it is a fairly easy task to achieve, however if one then lays the Wheels over tops inwards or outwards then aligning them becomes more difficult with the increasing angle. Now we take one wheel out of the equation and study its actions. Its action will be the exact opposite to the one we will look closely at. Take a wheel, any size will do for this exercise, out onto the drive way. Cement is better than the Lawn. Now gently push the wheel and let it run freely and study it's behavior. We've all done this stuff as kids. Don't just look at what it does but study what is going on. Firstly it rolls upright and slows as it slows it starts to lean, the more it slows the more it leans. Now it doesn't continue straight ahead nor does it just go in circles but runs in a sort of Helical action of an ever decreasing spiral. Careful now! we don't want it to run into a Naked Singularity and disappear up it's own Rotational Axis Hell of a way to loose a perfectly good wheel, that.

If we take the wheel now and hold it on an axle and force it to run in a straight line and start to slowly allow it to lay over at an angle we are disturbing the natural balance that would put it into a decreasing spiral. The wheel still wants to go into that action but is being forced against it's physical action to run straight although all the natural dynamics are still acting on the contact area of the tire with the ground.
What is happening at that Contact Area/Patch Here I may have problems getting it all together but hopefully enough to get you guys to study the problems.

At the contact Patch we have Curved surface being forced to run in a straight line, hence we have a bunch of Dynamics fighting each other for control. The Upright wheel has only a small amount of the curved surface wheel dynamic ie. The contact Patch is zero at its center and given that the Patch is larger than zero we have the beginnings of the curved surface with every molecule away from zero, consequently the dynamics all oppose each other equally. Therefore we have zero toe-in/toe-out and the beginnings of Tire Scrub/Wear with every molecule out from zero. As we lay the wheel over we upset the dynamic in that direction causing an imbalance and the Patch to shift to the side of the lean with the wheel wanting to take an increasingly circular rout and the axle forcing a straight rout. **** My Head is Hurting!!! Resulting in a tendency to want to steer below the earth surface and this can't be done. With all these forces in action we then complicate the matter by introducing a second set of opposing dynamics, namely the second Rear Wheel. Whoa! Now we want to try to align all this to run perfectly parallel
'alf yer luck!
With some LY's running on wheels laying over at 20 degrees? others at 10 degrees or What Ever. So we, somehow, manage to get all this as near as Damn It! to aligned.... Great! It looks Sweet now we take the Chassis unit outside and put a WHOLE HEAP of junk on it, Masts, Sales, ourselves and peripheral rubbish like a helmet and gloves etc. I would suggest that due to flex action of all this increase in weight on the wheels and chassis, all our hard work aligning the wheels has just shot out the window. I think taking it to the beach isn't necessary to show what is going to happen there. We aren't running on Glass and we haven't taken, into account, what the dynamic of varying sideways wind pressure are doing yet and my head is now hurting so much that I have no intention or going there[}:)][}:)][}:)], other than to say "Near enough is Good enough"

Ron
I hope this makes a little sense.

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
23 Dec 2010 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

As I mentioned that I spoke to a paralympian about wheel chair wheel angles, the way they test for the best alignment of the wheels is to place the wheel chair with the person on it on a moving "treadmill" with spring scales to measure the resistance to forward motion, they then adjust the wheels for BEST results regardless of toe in / out measurements.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
23 Dec 2010 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Well Now Gizmo, That is going to be one hell of a Treadmill to handle OR or the Cat for that matter. Never mind the other alternative is to drag it up and down the drive or level cemented area with an Old Time Spring Balance adjusting the alignment and torquing tendencies as I go??? "As IF?" I may look green but that is only moss from all the rain we've had lately.
Speaking of the Machines..... "The Cat is Dead, Long Live the Razor"

It seems there was a not so lethal dose of radioactive Cyanide which may explain the near demise of the Cat. Perhaps I shall have to do a major operation to replace it's Spine and splice the front suspension in.[}:)][}:)]. Ah! WtH! It was fun in the doing
I had the Cat out on Black River Beach this morning in around 20 - 30 knot winds.
I've not driven one of theses things prior to my making Schrodinger's Cat but from my little experience I would say the Cat was quite spurty in gusts. At one point she took off like a well healed Rocket straight for the Bass Strait which took me off gard and took a little reaction time to correct. I just survived that one and went on to haver a hour or so fun zipping up and down the beach struggling to keep the up wind wheel down, a few Broadsides down the sand and running backwards etc! Exhilarating. No?? So how did the Cat become a cripple?? [}:)] Bravely!
When I decided I'd had enough I steered toward Car Park and into a bit of soft sand which put extra strain on the Mast Step and Whella! Crackle Snap and Pop! the above pic's being the proof.

I won't bother repairing the spine but I will replace it with a removable system. Reasons. Though the Carbon Fiber sections were tough enough in my methods of construction I feel that there is to much Rotational Flex which at one point had the Mast leaning close to if not better than 30 degrees. This rotary action requires an instant correction of the steering to counter the down wind swing of the LY. This to me is just one extra thing to watch for when everything is happening around you very quickly and I have no desire to go to the Mainland just yet.. The Carbon Thing was just an experiment. I learned a lot, had a lot of fun building and I enjoyed the Cat's short sailing life. Disappointed? Yes! Sad? A little. But "Onward and Upward Men, Onward and Upward!
I just can't wait to break the Razor out now
Ron

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
23 Dec 2010 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Great report there Nikrum, I'm sad to see the cat broke its spine, but overjoyed that you had a good sail beforehand...

I'd say you got the strength almost right... Tiny bit more strength next time, if you do lots more then that's just overengineering

Hiko
1229 posts
23 Dec 2010 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Good on you Ron you have tried some new things and learned some new things and shared the experience with us Much appreciated

Clemco
430 posts
23 Dec 2010 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Well done Ron ! You have broken your first landyacht. It is good when something fails. It gives you a chance to improve on the design. We Have all learnt from your efforts. More rappings of glass tape!!!...
But now lets look on the bright side....You now have a front end for The Razor

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
23 Dec 2010 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

I've always maintained you learn more from failures then from successes. May SC's demise not be in vain Well done!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
23 Dec 2010 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys,
my last couple of threads have been a bit long winded. BUT! Suck it Up Cup Cakes and toughen up! It ain't gonna stop any time soon. Nah! Seriously though.
I will rebuild SC but not with Carbon. I don't want to be rebuilding every 5 minutes.
That Mast Step joint was under some terrible strain and I don't think any product supplier has anything to be ashamed of. Like I said earlier, I had to concentrate on the job at hand to keep the wheels on the ground (Over a 6' wide) and I do not need to have the worry of the chassis twist,in gusts, to worry about as well. When they hit the Cat swerved sharply downwind. Fun??? Yes! But it could bring one undone smartly at high speed. I only wish I had a speedometer on her as I am sure at times I was doing between 30 and 40kph and when I ran on the ripply stuff it was enough to loosen up my Bridge Work. SC Mk2 will have a steel chassis and just the Carbon Mast and Axles. Mind you that will make it a bit less stable. The good thing about the Carbon section in the chassis was that when gusts did hit the Mast tilted more and spilled some of the excess pressure giving a little time to lead into correcting against it.

I also have noted the attitude of one of our members.. Yes the attitude has been duly noted. Naming a plan/LY Seabreeze Razor Yes I did notice!
Goodonya. Rusian for "Good on you"
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
23 Dec 2010 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

I do love a great result to an experiment! the spine was intact , just the failed glue joints and wrappings youve saved some of our first version of a future yacht.
thank you so much for keeping an eye on the mast layover angle too that was some good empirical data

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
24 Dec 2010 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Ta Landyacht,
It is a great pity I didn't have someone filming the whole thing. The viewable info would have been much better and more informative Entertaining as well. Shoot! I loved the big sideways slides. Though the ripple surface didn't do a lot for my teeth.
A lot more Carbon and Glass Tape would have held it more securely but as I noted the Layover was far too much and I don't know how that one can be cured. I will leave that up to some other Mad Physicist! Personally I believe that less breakage would happen if the Step and Chassis were made as integrated unit but then cost would defeat the Cheaper Assembly and the spine would probably have to be another Mast section thicker. All this only increases cost and lightness of build. Anyway I may still have a couple of axles left from the left over Carbon.
Ron

AUS02
TAS, 1987 posts
24 Dec 2010 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Ron, you need to get yourself a GPS to record your speeds. Sorry though to hear of SC's partial demise. Great to be following your adventure, many more to come I'm sure.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
24 Dec 2010 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Shees! I've never known such a catastrophic Failure to cop such accolades[}:)][}:)].
I can just imagine the applause I would have received if I'd Busted Me Silly Bloody Neck in the effort If I have managed to share a learning experience and further Edification to the masses then it is my pleasure. Not that I'm going anywhere-----------
just yet but thanks to you all for your encouragement and info input It is much appreciated.

Fond Regards and a MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all .
Ron

PS to AUS 02. I have one. Karen guides me through unfamiliar territory whilst Maud manages the Velocity and Fuel systems. I didn't want to take the risk on having a Bath with Karen though. People may have gotten the wrong idea.[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Oh! Think of me here all on my lonesome tomorrow but I guess I will just have to console myself with a whole Tassie Crayfish and a Bottle of Single Malt.. Oh God! Life is tough.--------I may indulge in a bit of Heavy Fruit Cake and a few chocolates-----It is just so tedious.....

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
26 Dec 2010 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

Well That's Christmas Day done! Now we can all get down to the serious business of paying back our MasterCards[}:)].

A couple of points;
Steering:

I found with the cat, on hard sand that when the steering was shoved hard over that the Cat wanted to go straight ahead and acted as a brake, until she slowed enough to get traction then she swung hard.. Is this normal
Connecting rod type steering on Roll over Front Ends. This set up would seem to me to be a Twitchy steering method? and possibly require a very firm use of the feet and legs required to operate? Talk to me on this one as I want to get the best method sorted before I build the Steering for OR. It would seem from the Cat I found that the steering was a progressive thing and not proportional.

Did Santa bring all you required? No point asking "wanted" as what we get is never enough
Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
26 Dec 2010 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Cat steering layover type? Problem with steering? To get front wheel to grip you need weight on it. This is achieved by sliding body forward and once turn accomplished slide body back.

kiwi307
488 posts
26 Dec 2010 3:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Connecting rod type steering on Roll over Front Ends.

I have never used anything else, smooth as silk. All the cable ones I have tried have been a lot worse, yes I know others have succeeded, but I did say the ones I tried!
Regards the theory of wheel alignment, bugger the theory, empirical testing is the answer. A bloody great treadmill is a great idea!
Best Xmas present for me is to spend an uninterupted day in the shed!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
26 Dec 2010 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Testpilot1 Sliding the weight forward might well be the answer to my problem No do I undo my seat belt to make the turn and risk being thrown from the LY[}:)][}:)]

K1W1 307.
Ok! so that sounds good, it is just that the geometry of the Push Rod system (Which I want to do) seems like it needs a lot of energy to push. Much of this I guess I won't fully understand until I start that part of the build. Looking at the Noalathane Joints/Couplings would serve a couple of purposes. A degree of shock damping, rust free coupling as well as flexible connections.
Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
26 Dec 2010 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Your seat belt should allow enough movement to move yourself forward& back again and side to side. Thats why we use a belt and not a 5 point harness. Using body weight is another way to help control your yacht.

skidmark
16 posts
26 Dec 2010 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Fit like Ron? Merry Christmas and all that stuff. sorry to see the Cat-astrophe!
Been busy as hell with other things but about to get back into the garage for some yacht building. It's an occupational hazard when you are good with you hands, everybody wants a piece of you, I'm sure you know just what I mean. I was reading the threads on wheel alignment, I spend most of my time in the yacht trying to step the back end out! As for the understeering issue, I have the same problem with my set up, good a low speed and not so good when I,m beasting it, maybe I should try some ankle weights
Good luck with the new project but I think a name change should be considered, Sitting on a Razor already sounds like it could end in pain?

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
26 Dec 2010 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Funny thing that Skid's, Family just seem to get in the way of our extracurricular activities,
just when you think it is all sussed out then someone comes up with something else that "Happens to be more important" than your enjoyment I only know that feeling so well. My other half is due back from NZ tomorrow evening and Have I Ever Made Hay While the Son Shone She has a definite penchant for waiting until I'm right in the middle of really technical stuff and then busts my concentration. Yu Gotsta Love 'em though, if you didn't you'd probably throw rocks at 'em.
There used to be a song out there. "We thought she was a gonna but the Cat came back, 'cos she couldn't stay away" Old C & W ditty.

The funny thing with the under-steer at speed is that the first few degrees of movement of the steering is that it is really responsive and even twitchy but then it all comes adrift until that machine slows and then it bights again that is when I sheet it in hard and do a 180 slide down the beach. It does get a bit disconcerting however when your trusty steed decides to run backwards toward the Bass Strate, "Oh Poop! I had best do something but what?? No I didn't get wet there but when I first hit the beach I crossed a shallow stream at speed, that is when I did get a tad damp.
Thanks

Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
27 Dec 2010 1:42AM
Thumbs Up

Skidmark:- Sitting on a Razor already sounds like it could end in pain? or be a pain in the end!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
27 Dec 2010 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Test Pilot; You Kill Me!

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
27 Dec 2010 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

I TRY!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
28 Dec 2010 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Yup! I recon all those about you recon the same. "Trying, very trying " [}:)]

I am still undecided about the front end and wheel to use. Advice please. I am thinking that a front end the same as The SC has may light for something as big as OR one sail I am going to use is about 6.5 to 7sqm. the other about 4.5sqm. I have a 8"x2.5" Briskites rim coming and I reckon I may well use that to stand up to big Side ways thrust..

Thoughts please.
Ron

PS: Web Master. There are a couple of extra icons we could use in these pages. Head Scratching/confused, A Light Bulb Moment/Idea and maybe a couple of others.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
30 Dec 2010 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

Ok! Here is an update on the Front wheel. It turned up this morning. It is one of those Briskites 2.5" Rims to which I fitted a round profile 16" /4.45/400 x 8 Tires to. Paul when I fitted the tire it took a lot of pressure to POP! it into place. I'm damn glad I didn't have a body part caught in it. I doubt that the tire will jump/peel off the rim. The Rims are light and highly suitable to our purposes or at least that is my belief at this point. If anyone has had other experiences with this product I would like to know. Ta.
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
30 Dec 2010 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

the test is to fit it as a back wheel and the sail it hard with the wheel on the leeward side. if the rim is too narrow for the tyre the yacht will lay off at the back as you sail along the beach. your tracks will look like "scalloping' along the sand, and you will be constantly correcting your steering

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
30 Dec 2010 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that Landyacht. I think you may have misunderstood my meaning with that wheel, I was eluding to the fact that they (In General) would be good for Land Yachting. The use of the 2.5" for the front wheel and the 4" for the Rear. I was also thinking of the Tyre peeling off. @ 35psi I doubt it as it took a higher pressure to to Pop it out to the Bead Seat. If any part of the anatomy was hanging or pressed against the tire and got caught there would have been a very large SHRIEK!

At the moment I am both getting the Schrodinger's Cat Mk2 going again and trying to nut the steering out for O's Razor. Any suggestions and tips would be welcome.
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
31 Dec 2010 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

I not saying the tyre will peel off the rim. most of the tyres we use are made to fit a 4.00-4.80 wide rim. , so putting it on a 2.5 rim gives you a tyre that doesnt resist side forces as well and tends to collapse its inflated shape when subject to side loads. this is less noticable on the front wheel if it is a layover type setup.
i have learnt that the most comfy existence is to have all 3 wheels the same so the most worn tyre can be put on the front
which doesnt explain why i ordered a new 16" zytec nylon wheel the other day

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
31 Dec 2010 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Ok! I'm with you on that one. I learned from vehicles that you could get away with Rims up to an 1" narrower than std or up to 1" over width narrower Rims tended to move through the tire delaying the steering and also softening cornering, where as the opposite is true of over width we always ran them at higher than recommended pressures. I should think running 6" wide Aircraft tires as Layover steering would be a little interesting at low speed.

To continue the Sage of SC, "The Cat is Back"

and the wind isn't strong to move my incredible Bulk

I will note here that the Mast Step is a larger diameter than the Spine and has been cut to wrap around the Spine eliminating the need for reinforcing straps. On another note I had a bit of a problem with sand getting the steering and wheel bearings. I replaced the entire Headset with Needle Rollers fully sealed and I made some heavy leather Disks and washers to act as Wheel Bearing Covers so hopefully the sand problem has been eliminated.

Ron

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
31 Dec 2010 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good there Nikrum,

I thought she was a gonna!

So is the mast step metal? And it's attached somehow to the carbon spine?
And the front bit that connects to the steering bearing, that bit is metal as well, right?
Just trying to understand how it all fits together.

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Just working out a build" started by Nikrum