Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Lake lefroy class 5 project 2013/14/15.......

Created by landyacht > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2013
landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
13 Nov 2013 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

a quick notice to those who want in on the class 5 building program this year at lake lefroy. the start date for building the frame jig will be the weekend of Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 November.
plan is ti sort out the jig, and start mass cutting most of the components.
plan is to get the jig and first basic chassis done on that weekend , plus most of the cutting . once the first chassis is out of the jig the jig will be passed onto the most keen participant to work on thier chassis.
let me know if your in or out with a PM or my phone no.
we hope to put up plans/photos of progress so see you soon
im gonna get shot

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
14 Nov 2013 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

Oh you are in trouble. What type ott, 26"wheels?

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
14 Nov 2013 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

were building flat Y frames with a 20 degree back end. front will have optional "bermingham "type suspension. they will be 4.00x8 wheels ,but can convert to 26" later if they want to start building wheels. mast step to take 55mm OD windsurfer masts or a sleeve to go ally.
A simple easy to build design for starters. seats will be stitch and glass of thier own design.
I have a rotating jig for building the basic chassis, so that all the welds will be horizontal . we had lots of interest after september, and the guys were all ringing and asking the same questions over and over, so its easier to do a group build

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
14 Nov 2013 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

This may help if anyone wants to try my suspension idea, I am more than happy with it.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Land-Yacht-Sailing/Construction/Supension-sail-shake/

Finished suspension. Note the cheek plates between pivot point and shock absorber, I put these in place to limit the sideways strain on the pivot. No wear after 2 Seasons

The vidio's below show the yacht sailing in the same area of Lake Walyungup at around the same wind speed.

With out suspension

With suspension

BenBoulder
WA, 261 posts
25 Nov 2013 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Some progress made on class 5 building programme.

-cutting out of components
-setting the jig up
-plenty of grinding
-some welding

Here are some Pic's will include more detailed explanations and plans once Landyacht has his computer back.

Ben

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
25 Nov 2013 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Bring on the racing

yankeesailor
56 posts
26 Nov 2013 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Is

it just me or does your shop area look like the set of junkyard wars. I wish I had that warm weather here in the northeast states that you have for building outside. good luck great project keep building great yachts.

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
26 Nov 2013 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

FYI
www.windsurfingperth.com.au/ Have a couple of 2nd hand SDM 4.9m 100% carbon masts for $300.00 each if anyone wants them.

Also thought these wheels might be interesting on a landyacht, available from Brizkites www.briskites.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=865

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
27 Nov 2013 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

Sylk said..

Also thought these wheels might be interesting on a landyacht, available from Brizkites www.briskites.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=865

Those wheels are very interesting for a land yacht but for reasons of safety and therefore the rules they need to be fitted with at least a plastic shroud on the inner sides to prevent hands/arms from being placed in between the spokes and subsequently torn from the body to which they should not be separated from.

Otherwise they look fantastic but before suggesting they could be fitted to a land yacht one would need to know what they weigh. I suspect they may be too weighty to be of serious value to a land yacht.

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
27 Nov 2013 1:17AM
Thumbs Up

A bit heavy at 3.2 kilo each bare

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
27 Nov 2013 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

same weight as a vic or paul glass wheel. what is the diameter,width,tyre size and bearing type/shaft size
AND price

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

not sure if we can get light tires for 17"rims (still prefer to make my own)

SKU: 865

Original Price: $570.00
Sale Price: $430.00
Quantity: 3

These 17" diameter rims are for those looking to reduce the rolling resistance of thier buggy. An extra benefit is there are many scooter and motorcycle tyres readily available to fit straight on.

Sold as a set of 3

Comes with Rim, Spacer and Ball bearing

Product Description

Wheel 320 For Landsails and Buggies 17" x 1.85" Rim
Rim : Aluminum 10 bars
Ball bearing: (2) 42-20-12 Steel
Spacer : Zinc coated Steel

Total Weight : 3.2kg

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
28 Nov 2013 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

you might have to take a holiday in bali or thialand and bring back som tyres
I reckon they would be nice to sail, but yes a wheel cover will be necessary so the dont turn into a sheet winch

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
29 Nov 2013 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Question for Vic

What process and materials did you use to form the plug you molded your pod from? or is there a thread here with details?

Also how many layers of glass & mow many sq meters glass did you use?

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
29 Nov 2013 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

I did not realise how far back the thread was. I made the plug with moulding plaster over a mouse wire frame, Can not remember how much glass I used. Paul made one using timber. The plaster one I made was pretty easy as long as you had the basic frame shape before applying the plaster to the wire.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Land-Yacht-Sailing/Construction/Building-new-class-5/?page=1

ps our wheels method has changed a lot since my first attempt

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
30 Nov 2013 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Mast arrived yesterday, I found a $300.00 2nd hand SDM 100% carbon 5.6m race mast with an IMCS of 37, should be plenty stiff enough.
And picked up another 4.6m carbon mast for $50 to chop down as a boom.

Ordered 3 of these to see how they go, 1500lb springs or so they say, $14.00 each from ebay.

Also ordered fiberglass supplies for the group:
20kg general purpose polly resin
8L Acetone
12m 450gsm matt
70m 50mm scrim tape
30m 100mm scrim tape

Should be enough to get a couple of pods started.

JoeHanson
48 posts
2 Dec 2013 5:10AM
Thumbs Up

G'day (right?),
i've been reading and learning a lot in this Forum for some time now.
Just like to contribute that the 10-spoke rims are the new wheels for the class Standart(Seagull), as the older rims from small motor-bikes are getting of short supply.
(guess my english reading is better than my writing...)
BTW: is that " drop by and say hello" thread still in use? (last post 5 years ago)

Joe

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
2 Dec 2013 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hello Joe and welcome.

These are Sysmic rims from Jas at Briskites. They are made in China to a very high standard and balance. The finish on their rims is first class.
I have 4" x 8" rims, fitted with 18" x 8.5" Midi XL's and 8" x 8" fitted with 21" x 12" beach racers, on two kite buggys .

The 17" can be fitted with these.

www.buggykiteshop.com/index.php/sysmic-snakeskin-tire-17.html

Or scooter tyres but they are a lot heavier.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
2 Dec 2013 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

there you go ,they even have special tyres. be warned , I suspect they would be sand tyresso heavy use on salt or walyungup gravel may lead to short life, but I would be interested for somebody to do the experiment
the tyre price is comparable with hookworms. they also have the rims listed for a good price

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
3 Dec 2013 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

bit of progress tonight,benboulder and i managed to set up the first mast step, then with some guidance from aus230started designing the front suspension

mast step aligning,crude but effective

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
8 Dec 2013 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

great progress today, we got a bunch of cutting achieved. All tricky angles that had to be hand held in the drop saw. lyndon managed 28 components,all spot onand no accidents,so a great learning day for him,ben boulder had the cleanup and has taken home a pile of little prep welds.
we got stuck in with the jig . the tricky bit is making a jig that holds parts in place for welding ,but allows the chassis to pop out afterwards and allows access for welding.heres the days cuttingcleaning

and the start of the complicated part of the jig

its all looking like a nice neat yacht

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
10 Dec 2013 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry I missed the day, was in Esperance for 4 days.

The resin and glass has arrived, when do people want to make a start on the pods?

When are we planning the next build day?

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
12 Dec 2013 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

I might be able to to do sunday , but depends on the weather, if its sailable , we might go sailing.
before you start thinking pods,yuo'll need to get the chassis's further along , theres still plenty to cut and grind

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
12 Dec 2013 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

When is the next cut and grind session planned for

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
12 Dec 2013 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

This end of the down haul still worries me if the yacht comes to a sudden stop (like a car or wall ect) Maybe worried about nothing but thought I should point it out.

Hiko
1229 posts
13 Dec 2013 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

So thats what that box section bit is for

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
14 Dec 2013 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

It allows you to move your sheeting back further than your goolies.On clay we can move our weight back over 250mm more than the salt, or walyungups gravel, Its closer to sand. . it also allows easier sheeting with the pulleys back at 3/4 rather than centre sheeted.
its been working for me and Ive yet to scratch myself on it. Id be more concerned at breaking a leg getting flipped out of an OTT chassis
next session is sunday morning from 8.30. bring extension leads and grinders /discs. if you have any bits of 25x6 flatbar(not galv) we are a bit short.
also bring water as its gonna be a hot windless day

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
14 Dec 2013 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Got a good thing going there Paul (plenty more completion can hardly wait)

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
14 Dec 2013 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
landyacht said..

It allows you to move your sheeting back further than your goolies.

When it's mounted I suppose you could use a fairly light "cross pin" or better still a pinch bolt on one diagonal corner of the outer RHS sleeve, done up just firmly enough to hold it.
This pushes the contact area to 2 surfaces and wont rock about.

With the blanked off/cap for safety on the, welded "angled inner RHS piece" extended back towards you, that would still do the job, but it would then become a crumple zone as it slips forward, if you happen to stop quickly.

You would still end up with black jelly beans, but it's just a thought.

They are looking GREAT!!!!!!

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
18 Dec 2013 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

the 35x35 has enough length that there is almost no side movement so there is a 10mm bolt into a welded nut that tightens on the underside gripping 1 surface . it only has to nip enough to stop movement as all the pull is vertical. so if you slaamed it would slide. the open end will get a plastic plug. progress was good given the heat, we went till 1.00pm when the tools and steel were just too hot.
still working on fiddly fittings , but john and i sat down and nutted out the fill size seat plans.
kinda NZ influenced pod with an open back

BenBoulder
WA, 261 posts
19 Dec 2013 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

More components completed yesterday.

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Lake lefroy class 5 project 2013/14/15......." started by landyacht