Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Sabydent builds a mini

Created by sabydent > 9 months ago, 10 Feb 2011
landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
26 Mar 2011 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

cos its annealed to be easily bendable
the example can be seen with aluminium. T5 ally is annealed so fabricators can bend it, eg for making roobars, wheras T6 ally is tough and difficult to bend

Hiko
1229 posts
26 Mar 2011 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

Can you temper mild steel?
I probably knew all this stuff once but its so long ago that its long forgotten
I have yet to bend my mini spine 52x2mm exhaust tube I weigh 96 KG
I have seen a couple of bent blokart frames though so I think the exhaust tube cant be too bad even if it is on the limit

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
26 Mar 2011 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Mild Steel is hard to temper as it is a low carbon Steel. This means that you can get a low temper on it and only superficial. For our purposes ie. tempering a spine it is just plain too damned hard to get the extra Carbon into it. Backing Slow and Long in a High Carbon Atmosphere.. Let us say in a couple of hundred years time on the Earths Surface might do the trick[}:)].

Better and cheaper to buy a Higher Carbon material but not necessary and anyway this is really only conjecture. Crikey! I only have basic knowledge and equipment and knocked one up in short order. It is just a little exercise in skill and entertainment. Go Sail a Land Yacht and have fun if yuz busts it fix it or don't be so rough.
Ron

sabydent
360 posts
26 Mar 2011 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

It will be interesting to see how this tube works out. I used the very scientific "this is what is available" method of selecting my material. I am now using the analytical "I don't feel like doing it over" construction review. I hope I do not get to use the "man, does that hurt" method of performance review.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
27 Mar 2011 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like you would fit in well with those West Aussies. Hey we're going out to steel some Dill Tubes from a Mine Site. Might as well get the heaviest out there so's we don't have to come back again Hey TP1?? Mind you they don't Give a S^%$ who they maim in a crash
Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
27 Mar 2011 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

We dont need to steal from mine sites, we recycle from rubish tips. We dont use drill(has an R in it) rods as they are too heavy, we use the core tube from inside the drill tube, as they are high tensile and light weight.
We are not the bogans you seem to be. [}:)]

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
27 Mar 2011 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

sorry boys , I meant annealed and I changed my post so yours now look daft
the tubes we are currently using areBQ core tubes (50mm dia)for a full length mini spine, 55mm NQcore tube for a cl5 spine, a 51mm ID BQdiamond rod for the rear of the cl5 chassis and the 50mm BQ core tube as a replacement for 50mm ally in cl5 chassis.
The chassis currently under construction(experiment 107) in the shed on behalf of "wedgetail" has the galv fence post for a spine as we dont want any flex in the spine, its all in the special carbon material being assembled in the rear axles

sabydent
360 posts
11 Apr 2011 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

I started to glass my cardboard today. It looks easier than it is, but it seems to be turning out okay. Should have photos in a couple of days once my garage door is fixed so it can open. The fumes are a little overpowering when you can't open the door. Getting too high to take pictures.

sabydent
360 posts
13 Apr 2011 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

I have a pretty good start on my seat. I am using fiberglass over 1/4 inch plywood and cardboard.
I plan to put a 3/4 round reinforcing/grab rail on the top.

As always, please give me your feedback. It is much easier to make changes before moving on, rather than redoing.

Brian

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
14 Apr 2011 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

sweetlooks slightly Elvish with those front curves
amazed you could glass with snow outside, I stop glassing if I need to wear a jumper

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
14 Apr 2011 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

Yup! It does look halfway decent. At some stage you might try 2 thicknesses of 1/8" ply, easier to cut and with chopped strand between and cloth either side it is Way Strong.. Just a thought for next time. Never is a once-er.
Ron

sabydent
360 posts
20 Apr 2011 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Just a little body work to complete before painting the seat.
Man, that was tougher than I thought it would be.

Brian

Hiko
1229 posts
20 Apr 2011 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Oh man that looks good

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Apr 2011 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Another Nice Unit out of the North. Good Stuff Sabydent I'll bet you are bustin' a gut to get it out and Sailing? One assumes that is an undercoat, so what colour??
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
20 Apr 2011 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, my yachts are lookin' tatty again
that is truly slick, youd better put the seabreeze,com on the side so you dont spend all you time out telling people where to get the plans, and get to do some sailing. you are going to soooo........ enjoy this yacht

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
21 Apr 2011 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

sabydent said...

Man, that was tougher than I thought it would be.

Brian

Come on mate. You can only spread the bullsh1t so far. I think you have been secretly building land yachts for years.

Can't wait to see the paint job you put on it.

yankeesailor
56 posts
21 Apr 2011 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Your a true craftsman!!! that thing looks store bought not homebuilt

sabydent
360 posts
22 Apr 2011 2:13AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you all for your responses.

Okay Cisco, I'm up to the challenge. I was just going to use a spray bomb, but now I am going to kick it up a knotch. I am going to get an airbrush and see if I can do something cool.

Brian

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
22 Apr 2011 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Gugonya, brian,
Great to see people "Pushing the Envelope". It is the best way to find out just who you really are and what you are capable of. Who know you may well become Canada's next Great Land Yacht Artist.. According to Cisco you are proving to be a bit of a Bull**** Artist[}:)].
Ron

harleyd
183 posts
22 Apr 2011 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

hey nhey hey.. goes to show you "never let your first impression guide you.. the first pictures I was thinking.. hmmmm looks like a wet cardboard box.... but like my mom said." if you dont have anything nice to say shut the ---- up ! But now WOW.. looks like a formula racing car... your gonna need a spoiler on the front to keep it from flying away... very very very nice work.... food for thought? if u are gonna airbrush??? how does snake skin sound.. its sleek like your dirtboat.......... congrats on seeing it through

sabydent
360 posts
27 Apr 2011 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Working on the paint job for my mini. Landyacht, can I use this image on my yacht? I thought I should ask since it has your name on it.

Brian

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
27 Apr 2011 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Sir,
You Do him too Great an honour Shoot he only designed the Bloody thing You may have him DEMANDING that all LLF Mini's built have this LOGO placed on them..
Ron[}:)]

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
28 Apr 2011 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

sabydent said...

Working on the paint job for my mini. Landyacht, can I use this image on my yacht? I thought I should ask since it has your name on it.

Brian

lordy no, next thing ya know somebody will be sueing
once its finished and sailed, and photographed it may qualify for an exclusive winking grinning flying pig logo

sabydent
360 posts
2 May 2011 1:02AM
Thumbs Up

Sometimes the best-laid plans go south. My plan was to photograph my sail, then get some feedback concerning the cuts. Didn't happen. I called my sail maker (yes, 1000 miles from the coast in a small town of 10,000 we have a sail maker…go figure) and he is excited to get involved in land yachting. I called on Saturday evening, he said he would help me but he is leaving for a month on Friday. If I had the sail ready for him, he could sew it on Sunday morning. This gave me 14 hours. No problem there, sleep is overrated anyway.

I made a cardboard template as per the instructions. I am using a Neil Pryde 5.7 m sail. I laid out the sail and unstitched the bottom of the mast sleeve. Cutting this sail would have made a lot of work to make the battens still function. It appeared that an easier solution would be to add to the bottom end of the sail.

I cut the bottom off the sail then unstitched the cut off part. Placing it on the sail, it looks like I can get the proper luff curve and not have to deal with the battens. He is going to sew it in about an hour from now.

The good news is that he wants to make a custom land yacht sail for me, when he gets some time. I will be asking you more about this when he gets back. For now I will try this out, at least I will be able to sail.

sabydent
360 posts
2 May 2011 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Finished cutting and sewing the sail, just paint and the boom left.

Brian

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
2 May 2011 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Nice, Real nice. My first Sail Cut was a Neil Pryde RAF.
Get the Bloody thing going will you... I am dying to see how good this thing goes!!
Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
2 May 2011 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Nice, Real nice. My first Sail Cut was a Neil Pryde RAF.
Get the Bloody thing going will you... I am dying to see how good this thing goes!!
Ron

Take your time!
Let him die[}:)][}:)][}:)]

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
2 May 2011 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

gonna be a big sail
sorry i was in a hurry the other day with my explanation re the logo.
the Lake lefroy mini idea was the result of a lot of effort by a number of people. many of whom are regular posters here on the forum. every time one is built and sailed we learn something, and so the idea progresses.
I simply put up some drawings and photos that helped kick it off, even the existence of the forum for landyachting is an offshoot from the original search for materials to experiment with. so much encouragement came from windsurfers, kiters and SUPer that we were able to kick things off from there.
yes we do have a little logo and your bling machine qualifies, Ive got your PM and will get on to it.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
2 May 2011 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

Well TPI that just goes to show how much respect you have for me!!
Here I am being exceptionally nice to you, doing my level best to not be insulting etc, etc, blah blah.. Now you go telling people to let me die.. That just plain is nasty..
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
2 May 2011 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Well TPI that just goes to show how much respect you have for me!!
Here I am being exceptionally nice to you, doing my level best to not be insulting etc, etc, blah blah.. Now you go telling people to let me die.. That just plain is nasty..
Ron

now , now girls , take the pillow fight off to nickrums page

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Sabydent builds a mini" started by sabydent