Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Sabydent builds a mini

Created by sabydent > 9 months ago, 10 Feb 2011
Hiko
1229 posts
6 Jun 2011 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

You can extend your mast at the top with a short extension
Some people use a piece of vacuum cleaner tube !
Looking at your yacht the boom looks about the same height as mine but I slide my butt further forward and my head is lower than your pic
You may need to move the foot pedals forward for that
All personal preference really A more upright position may suit those starting out

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
6 Jun 2011 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Brian,
I'd be more inclined to give her a run and see what is happening with the Boom first but I'd more than likely take a 6" to 8" wedge out of the heal of the sail but find out for sure with it under load. Remember the higher up the mast you take the boom the higher the load pressure against the foot of the mast.
I busted another mast on Sunday[}:)]
Ron

harleyd
183 posts
6 Jun 2011 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

or cut 4 inches off your butt !!!!!!! congrats look like your all done...
looks awesome... have fun....

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
6 Jun 2011 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

actually thats about right, but perhaps a small extension on the top whilst your learning, wheres all the snow

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
6 Jun 2011 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Looks real purty... I used to have one of those MPR sails

I'd be giving it a lot more downhaul, perhaps swap the pulleys around so you have the three way blocks at the mast end, with the one way out on the boom?
You need the luff to be nice and tight with it fully sheeted on.

sabydent
360 posts
6 Jun 2011 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

harleyd said...

or cut 4 inches off your butt !!!!!!! congrats look like your all done...
looks awesome... have fun....

I finished on Sat night. How are you getting along?

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
6 Jun 2011 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

You sure it aint store bought?
Sure looks like it to me!
Built like a Pro

sabydent
360 posts
7 Jun 2011 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Any name suggestions?

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
7 Jun 2011 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Obviously "Blaze" wasn't good enough "Devils Workshop"?[}:)]
Ron

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
7 Jun 2011 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

"Dr.Teeth" the yacht is a "Flamin' success" it looks so "Flamin' Hot" I just wish I could think of a name for you cos it's such a "Hotyot".....

Clemco
430 posts
7 Jun 2011 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

What about Grass Fryer

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
7 Jun 2011 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Now Brian,
Yous is gotsta look real CLOSE at "Dr Teeth". Dang! Gizmo what a name for a Dentists LY.. I likes it a bunch.
Ron

PS; You could add the Smiling Fella for Gizmo or perhaps the Cheshire Cats Smile

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
7 Jun 2011 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Clemco said...

What about Grass Fryer

"Grass Fryer" .... "Grass Burner"...... "Ass Burner"..... "Indian Curry" .... "Curry in a Hurry"... "Hurry Curry"
or even "Fluo-ride express" just to "Cap it off" or "Drillit" or "Fill-in-the-gaps"

sn
WA, 2775 posts
7 Jun 2011 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Now Brian,
Yous is gotsta look real CLOSE at "Dr Teeth". Dang! Gizmo what a name for a Dentists LY.. I likes it a bunch.
Ron

PS; You could add the Smiling Fella for Gizmo or perhaps the Cheshire Cats Smile

as long as the smile has a gold tooth!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
7 Jun 2011 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Are you kidding?? None of his patients have Gold Filings!! He has yanked them all to build that damned Land Yacht.[}:)]
Ron

sabydent
360 posts
7 Jun 2011 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Good ideas. I really don't want to put any refference to dentistry in the name. I would like to have some relation to fire. Get those imaginations working. I am stumped. So far I like Hotyot, Blaze, and Wild Fire.

Brian

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
8 Jun 2011 1:25AM
Thumbs Up

I 'bean' thinking, as it is "wind" powered 'ow about "Blazing Saddles"
Or maybe "BURN(t) OUT"
Or "Hot 2 Trot"

sabydent
360 posts
8 Jun 2011 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

What do you folks think of "Windburn"?

sn
WA, 2775 posts
8 Jun 2011 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

windburn sounds perfect to me!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
8 Jun 2011 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Brian,
Pick the ones you really like Write them on strips of paper put them into a bowl and set fire to them.. The last one to burn out is the winner[}:)]Nah! That won't work, how would you know which was last?? Let your son pic one blindfolded.. Leave the final decision in "The Lap of the Gods".
Ron
PS; Personally I like Blaze

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
8 Jun 2011 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

"Worm Burner".... Potentially applicable to any ball game (or landsailing ) played on a grassy field, but most appropriate to soccer and golf, it is when the ball is shot or struck that it travels with great velocity just above the grass, such that the friction would "burn" any unlucky worms that happened to be on the surface.

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=worm%20burner

sabydent
360 posts
8 Jun 2011 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Being a dull and boring guy, I decided on "WINDBURNER". Thanks for your suggestions.
Now if we could only get some wind I could try that baby out.

Brian

Clemco
430 posts
8 Jun 2011 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

One more susgestion WILDFIRE 2

sabydent
360 posts
16 Jun 2011 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got to test my mini yesterday. It works pretty well. I had some problems with the lines becoming twisted between the mast and the attachment to the rear post. Also I need to rig differently to get more downhaul initially. I think I will try the racing set up.

It was fun, need a bigger venue to get up to speed.

Brian

desertyank
1262 posts
17 Jun 2011 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

I had the same problem with line twist, and cured it with sheet line from 'west marine'. The less expensive stuff wants to twist up, and if it gets bad enough, you won't be able to let the sheet out far enough to bail you out in a panic I even tried dragging the line out of the blocks, and re-threading; no good

The race method of rigging it should cure the initial lack of downhaul too

"burnout"?
"assafire"?
"My seat's on fire!!!"?

Again, nice job. Hope you have lot's of FUN with it....

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
17 Jun 2011 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Any pic's you have shown us don't show decent shots of the Rope/Cordage you are using, the impression I get is it is fairly stiff which would indicate a Twist rather then a Braid.. As DY suggests use a High Quality Marine Cordage as it doesn't hold a twist to easily. Have you got Sailing Gloves? The fingerless type.. Hey! Just had a thought.. Take your Beast down to Yankee Stadium. I sure they'd let you sail on that. Car Parking Lots near Sporting Venues or facilities that only get specific use might be worth a Look. Better Check with the CMP first.
Ron

sabydent
360 posts
17 Jun 2011 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Good wind yesterday but nobody wanted to play. They were all to interested in the hockey game. I had to go out by myself. My son will take some video next session or I will have to kill him. I bought my rope from a sailing supply place. They said it was for a laser. It is supposably a good quality braided rope.

It is supposed to rain all week, so I will go to the shop and take some photos of some problems I need solved.

Since Yankee stadium is 5000km away I will probably pass. I sailed yesterday at the local fair grounds. It is a pretty good sized paved lot, but it seems to shrink as you pick up speed. Some jerks insist on parking their cars in the parking lot as well. How rude!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
17 Jun 2011 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, you are right they are inconsiderate bastards.. Use their cars as Turn Markers I did when some Schmucks decided to use it for parking. Honestly I didn't go near their cars but they seemed to get very nervous and moved elsewhere.. Well I was there first.
You know now what I was talking about with only a little room to play with It is marvelous just how quickly that Parking Lot turns into a postage Stamp

The Rope.
Being as your Deck Area is only Teensy Weensy you have to work with your rope and maybe now and then throw it out behind you, you also have to work out the absolute maximum you need and keep it as short as comfortable. Give yourself a bit of time to understand what is happening around you and like I say to anyone that uses the Cat or Razor. "Under no circumstances PANIC. There is plenty of time for that when you have corrected the situation!"

Ron

"LEAN INTO IT!" Buddy

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
18 Jun 2011 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

do you have swivels on the tops of the pulleys? you dont want that. definitely need braided line not a twisted line. I prefer inline blocks on rear sheeting rather than a double.
TP1 changed out his double for 2 singles and it has made a difference.
Nickrum mentioned a really bad habit to not do
always keep your sheetrope inboard. tossing it out the back is a recipe for an accident. the rope can bounce up or swing out to a rear wheel snag the wheel, and rip it out of your hands, suddenly stop the yacht , capsize it , all while dislocating you shoulder. Ive watched it happen
not fun

sabydent
360 posts
18 Jun 2011 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

I don't have swivels in the top pulleys. I have tied them to the boom using prusick hitches. I do have a swivel on the lower pulley. The eyelet is large I thought it would look cool, but the clevis gets bound up on it. I think I will attach the rear pulley with a rope as well. After work today, I will rig the sail and take photographs. Hopefully, I can get some critiques on the rigging.

Brian

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Sabydent builds a mini" started by sabydent