Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Winged Mini

Created by aus230 > 9 months ago, 17 Nov 2011
Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
25 Mar 2012 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hey! Vic,
What we need is someone Nutty enough and Cashed Up enough to set up a Museum to Land Yachting and All experiments, successfully or not to go into it when the machines life is deemed done and try to gain ones from as far back as we can.

Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
25 Mar 2012 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

It will be Vindi's mini me

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
25 Mar 2012 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hey! Vic,
What we need is someone Nutty enough and Cashed Up enough to set up a Museum to Land Yachting and All experiments, successfully or not to go into it when the machines life is deemed done and try to gain ones from as far back as we can.

Ron
Hey Niki poos put ya munay where ya mouf is[}:)]

VindisDad
117 posts
25 Mar 2012 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Vic,

Thanks for that, I've used a piece of polyurethane bar for mine.
I'm sure none of your efforts on your mini will be wasted - your yacht may get bigger to suit but may be a good starting point.

Hi Ron,

I'm sure that between me & Landyacht we have been both nutty & cashed up enough to answer any museum questions about what has been tried.

Between us we have probably built some 300 landyachts since 1980........

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
7 Apr 2012 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

That is it finished (except for cleaning off dust)
The Berminator (thanks to Paul)

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
7 Apr 2012 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

While on the subject of wing masts..... this might be of interest.

desertyank
1260 posts
8 Apr 2012 3:17AM
Thumbs Up

Perfect video for the topic! Reminds me of the trials and tribulations of the space race......

Nice find Gizmo!!!!

VindisDad
117 posts
8 Apr 2012 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Just as a note Vic,

If you start getting carried away with wing stuff, I still have Vindicators mold, which was recently upgraded for vacuum bagging.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
8 Apr 2012 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

dont worry bill, I will slide him into vind next time he's at the lake.
about time he found out what hes bitten into

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
6 May 2012 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

Just to keep this thread open till I hopefully test the mini in June on Lake Lefroy.

In the image below the french yacht's pulley position is about 2/3rd back along the boom. I thought that the best position was half way, but maybe that needs a re think.
Have a look at the tire size they are using now

VindisDad
117 posts
6 May 2012 2:43AM
Thumbs Up

Those tyres would be 3" plus.
Wheels look to be ally, so combo won't be that light.
Paul, might be worth getting some & making some 65mm 'flatties' to go with it.
Surly bikes worth a look.
Cheers

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
6 May 2012 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Bill
What are your think about the block position on the boom all the euro yachts seem to be pulling from that point now. The tires are 4"wide
Cheers
Vic

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
6 May 2012 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Looking at the surface they are on and the tires being used, could the extra width be for running on sand?? Have you guys run the Hookies and Kojacks on softer sand? I was thinking of may be a difference in the surfaces the Champs will be held on? Is there a difference in beach hardness north of the equator?? I have never been to Europe and not interested in going there (If they don't make Scotch then it is a no go zone (for me)).
Ron

VindisDad
117 posts
6 May 2012 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Vic,
The pilots would have to be both small & a long way back in the seat to get the sheeting there, coupled with the mast rake. Also the masts look that damn stiff in that video that more leverage to sheet in must be needed.

Ron, those wheels with 4" tyres would just about float over anything, including loose sand. (imagine a 26" wheelbarrow tyre!)
The sand on european beaches is often much softer than we have here, although I think the beach in Vics video would be better than most.

When I was in Tas a few years ago, your beaches looked a lot nicer.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
6 May 2012 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah! Vinisdad (oops! I was going to call you Vd)

My point was that just maybe the tires you guys use may be a little Narrow for softer sand and tend to bight deeper therefore slowing you down.. Just thinking from a competition point of view butr you fellas would have the answer to that. Did you have a Look at Anthony Beach'
Ron

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
6 May 2012 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

For the uneducated, When considering the sheeting position, how far forward can you go? I am considering this for the y frame experimental, (I really need to get that finished).

Actually I dont think i have much option other than to have the block dangerously close to the tackle. But with a mini that meand the point on the boom is probably closer to the mast than the mid point. Pretty much like Clemco's ski-Y.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
6 May 2012 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

did look at some tyres but the manufacturer sells through shops not via internet, and after 3 months of reminding them of my order I gave up.couldnt even get a firm price for them,and youd still have to buff them
mind you our regular supplier has run out of hookworms !
all too late now,crate has left singapore
I do keep reminding myself that I am going to france to race the mini,and the 5 was thrown together to get in an extra class.
Ive seen reports of new minis that are cut down class 5 yachts too
will I need a little moustache as well

sn
WA, 2775 posts
6 May 2012 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Paul,
How is Bob going?
Not racking up too much on Little Stigs credit card with the duty free shopping while at Singapore is he?

Stephen

Clemco
430 posts
7 May 2012 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

grlynch said...

For the uneducated, When considering the sheeting position, how far forward can you go? I am considering this for the y frame experimental, (I really need to get that finished).

Actually I dont think i have much option other than to have the block dangerously close to the tackle. But with a mini that meand the point on the boom is probably closer to the mast than the mid point. Pretty much like Clemco's ski-Y.

One thing I found sailing these mini yachts is it does not pay to have your weight too far back as we do in class5. Reason being the mini is so much shorter and becomes very unstable at speed if you don't have enough weight spread over all 3 wheels. (I found the Blokart had the seating position just right for it's size.) I was able to go mid-sheeted by positioning the mast further forward (100mm) than the LLmini plan. Wished I had moved the mast still a bit further forward. It also helps to have small body .

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
7 May 2012 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

back when i was racing nappy rush(2009?) i could only just sail downwind on walyungup, best I could do was half sheeted. it still sailed past anything that it came upon.and upwind it fairly smoked
on salt and sand it was just nice.
when I built the next one I moved the mast step forward 40mm and the yacht became sailable downwind , but lost some of that scary upwind ability.
no chance of centre sheeting a mini with my weight or size.
I busting to see what the berminator can do

IPKSA
177 posts
8 May 2012 6:06AM
Thumbs Up

Thought you might like to know the source for those Class 5 aluminium wheels and tyres-(Surly, is the tyre make I think) ).
Airtrack are sandyacht manufacturers in the SE of France and they have sourced the wheels and sell em from their web site too.

They have a tall side wall and are wide , but I dont think they are 4inch wide !

Alan

PS - image copied from Airtrack facebook page

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
8 May 2012 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

building the rim wouldnt be an issue since all our little experiments but getting the tyres has been the problem ( and I hate buffing)
although they are "available", after months of annoying the shop , we gave up trying, we just aren't a big enough customer.
I suppose we could just buy them from france, but if you cant buld a yacht from locally available materials then you are facing a battle to keep the interest, despite being some of the cheapest yachts in the world.
vic an now me have copped some flak for not sticking with wheelbarrow wheels, and even for building minis instead of sticking to the 5
the other thing to consider is tyre wear.
on our salt I have significantly worn my 2 ply hookworms in only 3 sessions , not even racing. yet on walyungup vic gets seasons from his tyres. these are heavy walled tyres compared to those fat larry jobs. i reckon I could trash one in a day ondry salt.
back in 2006 I watched 2 standarts on lefroy sail off damp salt onto some really dry smooth stuff. they were both on what they considered 1/2 worn hutchinsons.
the first yacht blew a tyre after about 300m, then the second blew 2 at about 500m.
you would certainly want to consider your tyre options if you were going to sail a standart on lefroy

colk2004
317 posts
9 May 2012 2:32AM
Thumbs Up

Paul. Not sure whether this is a help. I've seen you can get Kenda tyres over there. I've found some Kenda Flames which are 26" x 3" and fairly reasonable price wise over here - wider than a hookworm and fairly slick.

Cheers Col

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
9 May 2012 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

There are quite a few 26x4 tires out there when you start to look around. But at the moment they are not much good to us. None are available in Australia and the freight to Aus is prohibitive. The other thing we have tried to do over here is try and make/use stuff that is fairly cheap so that everyone is able build yachts of there there own that does not break the bank.
Cheers
Vic

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
9 May 2012 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

colk2004 said...

Paul. Not sure whether this is a help. I've seen you can get Kenda tyres over there. I've found some Kenda Flames which are 26" x 3" and fairly reasonable price wise over here - wider than a hookworm and fairly slick.

Cheers Col

www.choppersus.com/store/
your a cracker col I ended up on this website
get out the credit card

colk2004
317 posts
10 May 2012 3:27AM
Thumbs Up

Whilst I wasn't looking someone moved Australia It obviously isn't on Earth having seen some of the shipping costs!! Found some Flames in Poland for 14euros ($18 AUD) shipping to UK 16 Euros...shipping to Australia 75 Euros ($96 AUS) Summat ain't right!

Cheers Col

sn
WA, 2775 posts
10 May 2012 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

I wonder how many tyres Paul can fit in his crate for the trip home?

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
10 May 2012 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

you still have the problem that you would wipe them out in no time on my salt lake
I was so temped to "add to cart" last night, but Ive already reached my weight limit carting all of susans books to france by air, plus the 350kg of gear in the crate

sn
WA, 2775 posts
10 May 2012 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

landyacht said...

you still have the problem that you would wipe them out in no time on my salt lake
I was so temped to "add to cart" last night, but Ive already reached my weight limit carting all of susans books to france by air, plus the 350kg of gear in the crate

Tell Bob that when the crate is being weighed he has to hop in his tardis to reduce the weight.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
10 May 2012 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Or you could stand on the blind side when it is being weighed for the return trip and hold the crate to make it come up lighter[}:)].
Ron

WHAT!!?? Well Butchers used to ade a few extra ounces by holding their thumb on the scales.

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Winged Mini" started by aus230