Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Winged Mini

Created by aus230 > 9 months ago, 17 Nov 2011
aus230
WA, 1659 posts
11 May 2012 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

these look good and at $45 the price is right, but again the freight kills.($80 freight)

Origin 8 Devist-8er 26x4.0'' Tire, Wire

www.bikeman.com/JB-59469.html

Cheers
Vic

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
11 May 2012 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry freight to Aus $93 for three

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
11 May 2012 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

One of these days guys you will wake up to what is going on.. It ain't what a product or service is worth but what the seller thinks it is worth and business the world over are siding agin us to stop the individual purchasing and importing. If we as a Global Group could get our **** together we could have a product produced for ourselves Sport Specific.. Hey! I look at Fly Fishing and the cost of the gear. We have a bloke down in the Huon Valley who was astute enough to ghet involved with a couple of Over Seas Companies, they had Fly Rods and Reels along with a bunch of other gear designed and built, divided them amongst themselves and sell the gear at a greatly reduced price..............Like lower than half that of the retail outlets... Who is ripping who off???
Cripes if we got together with the Poms the Yank (Now there is a big market) we could have the ideal tire made and market them at good prices..
Ron

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
11 May 2012 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...
Cripes if we got together with the Poms the Yank (Now there is a big market) we could have the ideal tire made and market them at good prices..
Ron

Agree totally.... but first we need a common size, the FISLY mini 5.6m yacht has that wheel size as a STANDARD....world wide.
If there isn't a common size people will continue to play with various products available. Including wheels, sail, masts etc etc.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
11 May 2012 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Or you could stand on the blind side when it is being weighed for the return trip and hold the crate to make it come up lighter[}:)].
Ron

WHAT!!?? Well Butchers used to ade a few extra ounces by holding their thumb on the scales.

"the carnet' is a customs document that lists in detail everything you takr out to make sure that is all you bring back . they check these thinks before you leave and when you return. fines are rather hefty , plus the duties payable plus the loss of the hefty deposit( that amount alone would buy a new yacht)

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
11 May 2012 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Paul, We do not have an Icon "Toungue In Cheek"-------------------Perhaps we had best devise one
Ron
PS; You fat sod how's about you pull a couple of spare tires about your middle[}:)]

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
20 May 2012 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

I think the FISLY5 rules are great and allow for plenty of experimentation. What is the point if we get locked into a design that has no advancement. Should we be sailing yachts that where designed in 1970 -80. I think not. The same as the yachts designed today, who knows what they will be like in 10 years time, I don't think I want to be stuck in a time warp.

As for the mini I think there was already discussions about restricting things with in the 5.6m rope rule. Common sense prevailed on this occasion. I am quite happy with the mini rules as they stand but if the rules change I will build to the latest rules.

Also it does not cost any more to build a yacht to the latest specs as to build to an old design. But what we do need is some up to date plans for class5 yachts . Paul's mini plans are a great starting point for mini and the dam things go pretty quick when set up right.

Cheers
Vic

Even the mini are evolving within the rules

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
21 May 2012 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

I would have to agree a revamp of Class5 specs.... after all there has been very little change in the past 30+ years. I think allowing ANY sort of round mast in the rules would make a vast improvement for Class5.
A lot of evolution has occurred within them tho, who would have thought current day yachts like aus230 and some of the European yachts would comply with the same Class5 rules as the early "HotStuf' or Club88's but I suppose without the old style yachts and people sailing them the newer yachts would have never evolved at all.

Evolution ONLY occurs when lots of variations exist.... The best way for the Mini class to evolve is get lots of people building sailing them within the defined class rules. BUT just keep in mind why the mini class was created in the first place, to get new people into the sport..... not to create a top end race class.

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
21 May 2012 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Brian
The mast is something that is holding back class5 in Australia, The aluminum is almost imposable to get now, if you can find it it is expensive and along with freight cost becomes prohibitive. I don,t think the same problem exists in Europe or America.

Carbon fiber masts can be picked up at a resolvable price in Aus and maybe at a club level should be considered.
Cheers
Vic

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
21 May 2012 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Gizmo said...

I would have to agree a revamp of Class5 specs.... after all there has been very little change in the past 30+ years. I think allowing ANY sort of round mast in the rules would make a vast improvement for Class5.
A lot of evolution has occurred within them tho, who would have thought current day yachts like aus230 and some of the European yachts would comply with the same Class5 rules as the early "HotStuf' or Club88's but I suppose without the old style yachts and people sailing them the newer yachts would have never evolved at all.

Evolution ONLY occurs when lots of variations exist.... The best way for the Mini class to evolve is get lots of people building sailing them within the defined class rules. BUT just keep in mind why the mini class was created in the first place, to get new people into the sport..... not to create a top end race class.

basically what has occured is that some rules have been relaxed allowing further experimentation
the few I can think of would be
increase from 5m to 5.5
allowing suspension
more pulleys allowed
bigger wheels allowed
allowing metal masts as opposed to just ally

perhaps sometimes in the future we will see composite masts allowed, the sooner the better as mine is sitting in the shed waiting.
100% recycled, 3 piece steel/ally/carbon, 4kg

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
21 May 2012 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

aus230 said...

Hi Brian
The mast is something that is holding back class5 in Australia, The aluminum is almost imposable to get now, if you can find it it is expensive and along with freight cost becomes prohibitive. I don,t think the same problem exists in Europe or America.

Carbon fiber masts can be picked up at a resolvable price in Aus and maybe at a club level should be considered.
Cheers
Vic

If anybody here has seen and had a close look at the aluminium mast system used on the Seagull Ludic, you would have to agree that it is quite brilliant in it's simplicity.

But as you say Vic, the range of aluminium sections available in Australia is woefully limited, especially considering the bauxite mines at Gove and Weipa, the alumina plants in Aus. and the aluminium smelters in the north, south and west of Aus.

Since the 1970s, no Australian government has supported Australian manufacturing, unfortunately.

So Paul is over there shortly mixing it with the best of them. If he is able to find the source of the extrusions used by Seagull and the little plastic stoppers for the joins, would a group bulk buy be worth considering?

I am happy to tip in $500 if I can get a couple of masts out of it.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
21 May 2012 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

My my Cisco, are we ever the foolish one or is that just plain Naive?? Do you chase the ends of rainbows looking for the pot of GOLD??? You must if you think any government in this country is about being helpful to it's constituents. Politicians, especially in recent years, have proven themselves to be Blatant Liars given to clawing their way to the top by fair means or fowl..

Please please reassure me that you don't believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.. Santa Clause is OK.
Ron

colk2004
317 posts
22 May 2012 2:27AM
Thumbs Up

Might seem like a daft question but what aluminium stock are you missing in OZ? My mast is 1.25", 1.5", 1.75" and 2" 6000 series ally (commonest stock) T6 all 10g. Took 2 weeks of hand fitting each section of tube inside the other at the rate of 300mm/night slightly sped up when I discovered Zirconium flap wheels. A quick check on Australian stockist sites found not only the imperial sizes but some of the metric sizes that save you the fitting but mostly in T5 - has T5 been proven to be no good? My mast came in at £120 ($190 AUD). You seem to have the 50, 44, & 38mm etc sizes in 6m lengths.

Cheers Col

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
22 May 2012 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

OOh! Ooh! Where from??? Aluminum Tubing seems to be a very rare animal here.. The Ore is being exported to China and they flog it off cheap to you guys in the northern Hemisphere as a finished product.. Bugger the Aussies.. Last time, (A year past) I priced a 6m length of 50mm it was going to cast me nearly that much alone never mind another 2 lengths of a lessor size..
On another Tangent. There is a fishing Village called Eden on the lower south coast of NSW from where the bring in large quantities of high grade fish for Market. The whole Shebang is sent to the Sydney Markets, that is the lot.. In the lovely little village of Eden you can not buy fresh fish straight from the Boat, only week to 2 week old frozen fish.. Same Crap Different Day.. Businessmen only worry about the bottom line. Bugger the originators..
Ron

PS; We Garp on in this country about GW and Fuel Wastage along with other Shiite but when it comes to making a difference w,e as individuals, look the other way..

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
22 May 2012 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

col was talking about aluminium, not fish nicki poo.
the T5 range is annealed for bending col, it doesnt telescope particuarly well either.
what we have discovered is that stuff in a catalogue doesnt mean its available.
the supplier i was using doenst even recognise the stock numbers of the ally i bought 3 years ago.
, we dont have a smelter in the west, we only do the alumina, and some pigs for resmelting to cans.
I believe the mill where we were getting our tube, has stopped operating.
cisco, we recently priced some class 5 masts from france, If you can come up with the freight and customs on top of your 500 i will put you down for half a mast

colk2004
317 posts
22 May 2012 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

I was led to believe (though I couldn't get the metric stuff, hence having to skim 0.5-1mm off each internal tube - amazing how much skimming it takes to fit tubes inside of tubes inside of tubes) that a metric went into an imperial and so on. T5 and T6 get the same aging process so it's the initial heat treatment. Hey ho.
The Seagull I use has a thin wall steel tube boom so not even European stuff is all ally + the regs say metal which includes a lot of things not aluminium (and not cheap either). But if the idea is cost saving the X-sail that blats around at Elvington is using a £600 Goacher sail and a £500 carbon mast so carbon will end up being more expensive than ally when it comes to racing and people chasing trophies. If it's availability then thats a big problem as I found also that what is listed isn't always available in the UK.

Cheers Col

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
23 May 2012 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

landyacht said...
cisco, we recently priced some class 5 masts from france, If you can come up with the freight and customs on top of your 500 i will put you down for half a mast

Gee!! That cheap. I'll have a dozen then.

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
27 Jun 2012 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Had to put this up, Cake for my birthday made by my wife Fran, Love it

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
27 Jun 2012 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
27 Jun 2012 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Outstanding effort on both counts.

The cake decorating and you reaching puberty at last mate.[}:)]

Happy birthday and have one for me.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
27 Jun 2012 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

She is nearly as good at making cakes as you are building land yachts.

Happy Birthday ya old bugger and have a good one.

harleyd
183 posts
28 Jun 2012 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

hey Paul send me a piece of that cake !!!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
28 Jun 2012 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Yup aus.. Happy Birthday. It looks like you had a good'n.
Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
28 Jun 2012 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

harleyd said...

hey Paul send me a piece of that cake !!!

Sorry to disappoint you but, its Vic not Paul

harleyd
183 posts
29 Jun 2012 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

sorry VIC.... my bad

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
30 Jun 2012 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Vic, I just went out and we tested the wings, that I helped a mate with. [}:)]
It's maiden test flight.

A Van's RV6

It flew like a home sick angel.

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
30 Jun 2012 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

That is one nice plane chook

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
30 Jun 2012 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Vic, How did the wing on the Mini yacht perform? ..... I've been hanging out for a report.

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
30 Jun 2012 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Brian.
I had it at Lefroy but unfortunately there was no wind. I will have to wait till the Lefroy Marathon weekend at the end of September to try again.
Cheers
Vic

sn
WA, 2775 posts
1 Jul 2012 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Chook2 said...

Hey Vic, I just went out and we tested the wings, that I helped a mate with. [}:)]
It's maiden test flight.

summat wrong there chook, its got a spinny thing on the front- shouldnt it have a pair of pipes poking out the back?

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Winged Mini" started by aus230