Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

need help with first build

Created by grlynch > 9 months ago, 10 Aug 2010
cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
18 Aug 2011 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

No. The sail swivels on the mast by virtue of the sail pocket.

You might want to spray some silicon on the mast for lubrication.

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
18 Aug 2011 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

No. The sail swivels on the mast by virtue of the sail pocket.

You might want to spray some silicon on the mast for lubrication.

Hey cisco, I think you have answered a question from the first page. Thanks anyway

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
18 Aug 2011 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Grynch,
I did the same with the Front end of the Cat. Did you reinforce the Inner Steering Tube? Paul did mention in one of his Posts that he felt that it wasn't strong enough and tended to bend under excessive load i.e Bouncing through gutters etc.
I used a solid rod but to be tapered a bit to slip right through to the base of the tube so that it can be welded in place. A heavy walled steam pipe would do the trick also. anyway keep us posted in that area.
Ta
Ron

Yeah I've seen iand's photo's. The plan at the moment is to jam sumthin into the tube, (I'm even looking at the broom handle) and use a linkage type arrangement to peddles mounted to the mast step.

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
20 Aug 2011 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

OK This question might look initially a bit left field for a mini, but....

Can anyone give me an idea of the amout of layover on a 16" BMX wheel is normal?

Basically I am sorting out the steering, and for several reasons, i am going with the Clemco steeing approach. I've got some alternative ideas on the linkage and the amount of "flex" required. but i am at a bit of a loss! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Aug 2011 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Ok! Grynch
I doubt that a Broom Handle will be strong enough. I had a piece of solid rod that fitted over 2/3rd of the way in. OHandS wouldn't be impressed if they had seen the way I tapered the lower section (Horses for Courses) but it worked fine. There is a heavy walled pipe that would do the job but using a dubious method would turn it down as needs must. A wood lathe and a Course Bastard File could do the trick as well Where there is a Williams there is a way.
Ron

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
28 Aug 2011 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

What sort of turning circle do you get in a mini? I'm still playing around with steering and i cad get a layover of about 45° from vertical which gives me a turning circle of about 6-7 metres. Is this about right?

Thanks

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
29 Aug 2011 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

OK! Grynch,
Go take a look at Sabydent Builds a Mini. He has not long uploaded some footage and very nice it is too. You should see all you need.

Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
29 Aug 2011 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

grlynch said...

What sort of turning circle do you get in a mini? I'm still playing around with steering and i cad get a layover of about 45° from vertical which gives me a turning circle of about 6-7 metres. Is this about right?

Thanks

that is all about right. if you having a linkage to the front it needs to bend and TWIST slightly. clemco has that fancy polyUerathane connector, but you can substitute some 1/2"hydraulic hose instead.
others have used windsurfer bases, garden hose filled with polyeurathane rubber, or even a thick peice of conveyor belting.
at the feet end it is only a bending joint with almost no twist

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
18 Sep 2011 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

right, rigging sorted.

Homemade blocks and a donated ratchet block.

also got tyres sorted. will have steering sorted by the end of the day. I'm starting to get nervous, this thing might actually move (will post a picture of it assmebled this afternoon!)

colk2004
317 posts
18 Sep 2011 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

I'm impressed with those. Very smart. I'd looked into doing something similar but by the time I'd priced up the materials it was working out the same as buying in sales/fleabay. Just not in the right job anymore for blagging materials

Cheers Col

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
18 Sep 2011 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

yeah Col, It does make it easier when you have materials and tools at hand

It.....is......alive........(well very nearly!)

So close.... just needs breaks, decent sheetline, possibly reduce the mast extension.

Ended up with the standard steering. Too hard to use a linkage system when the linkage has to penetrate the front of the capsule.

I'm just trying to work out how much sheetline i need. My current thinking is enough sheet to still hold the line with the boom at 90°. Does this sound right?

Hiko
1229 posts
18 Sep 2011 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Boom at 90 degrees is more than enough generally
You will be happy with the standard steering I think
You can raise and lower the sail by having a short rope at the top
It looks as though it could come down a little Sheeting it in hard will lower it some
If you sail on tarseal maybe brakes could be useful noone around here uses them
Looks a good job well done Love the blocks Have fun!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
18 Sep 2011 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Don't need brakes on Tarmac either. Bout the only thing they are good for is entering a parking site and holding the LY when you are working on it other than that broad side and head into the wind. You will start with the sheeting as you and Hiko have said but more than likely you will cut a bit off of it as time goes by, hmm tha sounds familiar hey Hiko?? Bruno Lawrence "As Time Goes By".
Ron

PS; Find a part of your anatomy to tie it off on when sailing, it ain't nice to have it escape when you need it most.

Oh! By the way are they the original bearings in your rear wheels??

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
19 Sep 2011 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

I changed the bearings to 6204's by maching up some aluminium bushes. they seem to run pretty gor and will do for the moment.

Hiko
1229 posts
19 Sep 2011 6:09AM
Thumbs Up

grlynch said...

Nikrum said...

I changed the bearings to 6204's by maching up some aluminium bushes. they seem to run pretty gor and will do for the moment.

Plastic bushes are available for 6204 bearings in those wheels Cheap as chips

harleyd
183 posts
19 Sep 2011 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

nice job. looks professional, now you have to put a pic in the llm register.
check out mine "Holey Moley. its a blast

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
20 Sep 2011 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Harley, tho before I register it, I think I should sail and name it first. All will be unveiled soon. Nice work on holey moley too, looks great.

Now I am looking for somewhere around brissy to launch this baby! I understand the bottom of bribie, and sandgate at low tide is ok. Any other suggestions? Also what would you all consider a minimum wind speed for a mini with a 4mt sail?

Thanks
Glenn

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
20 Sep 2011 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Don't need brakes on Tarmac either. Bout the only thing they are good for is entering a parking site and holding the LY when you are working on it other than that broad side and head into the wind. You will start with the sheeting as you and Hiko have said but more than likely you will cut a bit off of it as time goes by, hmm tha sounds familiar hey Hiko?? Bruno Lawrence "As Time Goes By".
Ron

PS; Find a part of your anatomy to tie it off on when sailing, it ain't nice to have it escape when you need it most.

Best bet is to tie end of sheet rope to your seat belt

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
20 Sep 2011 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

grlynch said...

Thanks Harley, tho before I register it, I think I should sail and name it first. All will be unveiled soon. Nice work on holey moley too, looks great.

Now I am looking for somewhere around brissy to launch this baby! I understand the bottom of bribie, and sandgate at low tide is ok. Any other suggestions? Also what would you all consider a minimum wind speed for a mini with a 4mt sail?

Thanks
Glenn

I would think that 10knts would be fine if the beach is smooth and hard, but keep in mind that a few hrs at the beach is infinitely better than a few hrs not at the beach.
you can always build a sandcastle whiilst waiting for the wind.
I always take a small kite as well , that wears the little tackers out running up and down

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
2 Oct 2011 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Could not resist the oportunity, 15-20kts in brissie.

Managed to launch this baby this morning. lets just say......i understand....

I found a cricket park, (about 6-7 grounds) reasinably open so the wind was OK. Still it was fairly intermitent. but still i managed to post a 32.4kmh. now i got a taste i want more

sorry, not many useable photo's or video exciting enough

log from the outing

Thanks for the inspiration, (and motivation) guys next buld will be quicker i dare say. (got a mate who came for a play as well. now he want's one!)

iand
QLD, 243 posts
2 Oct 2011 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear you're mobile Glenn. Just wait till you get it on a decent surface with a couple of others, then your friend will really be sold. I've been contacted by a couple of other people one of which seems very keen to build a couple of landyachts so it might be interesting to talk to the blokarters about good sailing areas.
Ian

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
2 Oct 2011 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ian,

As far as locations go, i think we are a bit short here in brissy. However my first choice today was actually the large park Murarrie, (search google maps for "Murarrie recreational ground" on Wynnum road). I went there first, and it looks quite good,especially since we havn't had much rain lately. The only reason i didn't launch there was ther was a cycle event on. (there is actually a kite event next Sunday, 8th) However i went for a walk, ans there is pleanty of tracks in teh dry grass!

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
3 Oct 2011 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

a curse on soft sandy beaches with golden sands[}:)]

iand
QLD, 243 posts
4 Oct 2011 1:05AM
Thumbs Up

forget the soft sandy beaches,hard sandy beaches at low tide and take the windsurfer or boat for when the tide comes in

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
24 Nov 2011 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

well....you know.......it's one of those things, you keep looking at it and saying i should do something about that before it becomes a problem

Bugger, (managed to get up to 45km/h before this!)

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
24 Nov 2011 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Done it give yuz the Jimmy Britz though but that is easily fixed. Reinforce the Base for up to a meter inside if you can with a piece of Suitable Mast top in CF and extend the Top alternatively a piece of Ali tube would do as well. I am still to find a suitable Mast Section to repair a busted Gaastra CF.
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
24 Nov 2011 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

grlynch said...

well....you know.......it's one of those things, you keep looking at it and saying i should do something about that before it becomes a problem

Bugger, (managed to get up to 45km/h before this!)

we had predicted that break,but yours is the first Ive seen do it. so you definitely need a small stiffener

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
28 Nov 2011 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

OK, so i jammed the top of an old fibreglass mast into the kevlar. (and extended it at the same time)

Then wrapped (spiral) a 100mm wide glass woven tape around it. Also for good measure and in an attempt to increase the diameter at the base to better fit the mast step, added another layer, (under the spiral) for about the bottom foot or so.

(I've got some yellow pigment from the seat so i added that)

Waddaya reackon? would this still be too weak at the base and break as before?

Hiko
1229 posts
28 Nov 2011 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

I suggest you plane up a metre or so of hardwood to fit inside at the base
I have that inside the bottom of my windsurf masts
No problems yet

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
27 Apr 2012 12:37AM
Thumbs Up

unlocked