Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

new sailor in Northern California.

Created by harleyd > 9 months ago, 25 Feb 2011
Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
26 Mar 2011 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Big Motor Bike,
With Aussies and K1W1's you always look for the Humor or Barb, Not all of us are like me, who try to Bludgeon you to death with a joke. Some just happen to be a little Dry or Subtle.
Ron

harleyd
183 posts
5 Apr 2011 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

been super busy , had to work last two weekends in a row...HOWEVER i did get my backrest a little farther along.. Its been really windy here. A friend of mine invited to a local sod farm to try out the yacht,, but sheesh.. not quite ready....seems like a perfect place to try it out.... Oh bug eye? whats goin on? im gonna call u and come get the seatbelt soon..
later ya all

harleyd
183 posts
12 Apr 2011 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

ok didnt like my back rest so its off to the recycle bin... new one is built and ready to go.. going to pick up 2 windsurf masts today. hoping to use one as a boom. been ripping the stiching out of my sail so its a little closer.. pics soon....

blake52
123 posts
14 Apr 2011 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

Harley,
I think it was you who asked about Land Yachting Venues up your way.. This is an extract from a recent purchase..

Ron

Don't know about the accuracy of the rest of the list, but Ivanpah is in California....

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
14 Apr 2011 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

I recall the border going across the lake. the bit of lake to the north may be in Nevada. dont forget the book was written in the early 70's and the access point to the lake may have changed

desertyank
1262 posts
14 Apr 2011 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Just looked at google maps. The entire dry lake area in in CA, but you have to go into nevada to get to the entrance....

harleyd
183 posts
15 Apr 2011 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

ok pictures

harleyd
183 posts
15 Apr 2011 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

will get pics today my computer timmed out

harleyd
183 posts
16 Apr 2011 12:09AM
Thumbs Up

lets try now ..pics of finnished seat

harleyd
183 posts
16 Apr 2011 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

And I will be going with the name holey moley!!!! seems appropriate.

desertyank
1262 posts
16 Apr 2011 2:30AM
Thumbs Up

Looks awesome!!!

methinks you have done this kinda thing before....[}:)]

sabydent
360 posts
16 Apr 2011 6:20AM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful. You are quite the craftsman.

Brian

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
16 Apr 2011 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Bloody YANKS. Just for once, to make me feel better, can you turn out something that isn't so Anal on Production Finish???? Just a little rough would do..[}:)]

That is one nicely finished Mini. It seems a pity that it should be used. Just put it in a Glass Case to be admired..

If it goes half as good as it looks you are in for a great time.
Nice!
Ron

cisco
QLD, 12324 posts
16 Apr 2011 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Wow!!! That makes my timber seat look fairly ordinary. Nice job harleyd.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
16 Apr 2011 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Geez thats is a work of art!!!!!

Nicely finished and very apt name.

Good onya.

LBC BUGEYE
22 posts
19 Apr 2011 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

It looks great, I saw it when Frank came by for the seat belt. I am pleased with the weight, it is easy to cartop. He even loaned his mig welder to me so I could get started on mine!! I hope mine looks at least half as good. Thanks Frank and hope you get yours complete by the 29th.

harleyd
183 posts
19 Apr 2011 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

thanx for all the kind words....... brought a tear to my eye! NOT>>>> it is a very fun project with all aspects of building.. metal / wood/ fabric/ i am looking forward to the maiden voyage... ?? Question? and do you crack a bottle of some spirits over the bow ? A christening? i am checking out misfit flats in Nevada as maybe the spot.....
you should see my new seatbelt... looks nice.... got another block for my rigging.
just gotta do a little sewing and figure out a boom.. I have a few extra masts but was thinking of doing a wood one .possible 12mm ply with some hickory stringers..
it would look something like my hull with some lighting holes.... ok... more to come soon..... thanx again bugeye

Hiko
1229 posts
19 Apr 2011 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

A holey boom as well!!!! Yesssss

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
19 Apr 2011 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Holey Boom! Strewth that sounds like an exclamation! or perhaps a Papal Bellow[}:)]
Ron

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
19 Apr 2011 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hiko said...

sounds/looks like a balloon gone bang

desertyank
1262 posts
19 Apr 2011 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Test pilot 1 said...

Hiko said...

sounds/looks like a balloon gone bang

Or a fart in church......[}:)]

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
19 Apr 2011 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

Don't know about that as I don't attend.
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
19 Apr 2011 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

harleyd said...

i am looking forward to the maiden voyage... ?? Question? and do you crack a bottle of some spirits over the bow ? A christening? i am checking out misfit flats in Nevada as maybe the spot.....
you should see my new seatbelt... looks nice.... got another block for my rigging.
just gotta do a little sewing and figure out a boom.. I have a few extra masts but was thinking of doing a wood one .possible 12mm ply with some hickory stringers..
it would look something like my hull with some lighting holes.... ok... more to come soon..... thanx again bugeye

Dont forget that a wooden mast would have to survive this on a regular occassion

if you want to sail Misfits Flat, have a chat to dennis Bassano, NALSA, I believe he bought the property that has the lake on it, when the opportunity arose

harleyd
183 posts
19 Apr 2011 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

holey moley!!! seems i stirred up a dust devil.... bunch of hot air.... thanx for the info land yacht, your right about needing to be strong... good thing would be i can make another in a few min.
but hey,, do you think it would be better with a cut piece of a fibre glass mast? guess i could build both and see what happens....By the way Holey boom is when God breaks the sound barrier....in a dive..
ok off to work.. darn it

blake52
123 posts
20 Apr 2011 4:38AM
Thumbs Up

Misfit Flat belongs to Lester Robinson les@cmsrno.com although Dennis would have been able to steer you to them. Don't know if they are doing Friday night races right now or not. It is the windy season! www.nalsa.org/events.htm the schedule has phone numbers.
Blake

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Apr 2011 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Well now! I just had a bit of a fly around Nevada??? Damn! Do you ever got some nice places to sail, Black Rock Desert looks like it could be a bunch of fun and a place to get some serious sailin' in. Misfit Flat looks good as well.
Are all your deserts in the Mid West to West or are there some worth sailing over in the East??
Ron

harleyd
183 posts
20 Apr 2011 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

not sure about east coast? ice sailing probably

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
20 Apr 2011 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

blake52 said...

Misfit Flat belongs to Lester Robinson les@cmsrno.com although Dennis would have been able to steer you to them. Don't know if they are doing Friday night races right now or not. It is the windy season! www.nalsa.org/events.htm the schedule has phone numbers.
Blake

OOps , of course, the night they told me about the place , and its history, was a rather cold, boozy one when dennis and Lester, and Lesters Dad, were at lefroy.
even the tomato sauce bottle got mixed up with the wine bottles that night
please say hello for me , trav and wayne. has he made you a taco yet

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Apr 2011 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

So that is where the term "Getting on the Source" came from??
Ron

blake52
123 posts
21 Apr 2011 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

...Lester says they are starting next week at Misfit flat. It has been a regular Friday thing in the past
Blackrock is reported to be currently unsailable. It hasn't been really wet in years and has gotten soft with transient dunes. It is huge though, last time I sailed there in an enduro, the most distant mark disappeared over the horizon.
BLAKE

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"new sailor in Northern California." started by harleyd