new sailor in Northern California.

Created by harleyd > 9 months ago, 25 Feb 2011
cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
25 Aug 2011 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

sabydent said...

Harleyd:

I am going to lake ivanpath near Vegas Oct. 13, 14, & 15. I will be renting a Bokart. Is this near you? Would like to see Holey Moley sail.

Brian

Why are you going to rent a blokart when you already have a hotter yacht

sn
WA, 2775 posts
25 Aug 2011 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

excess baggage costs I imagine,

Saby is travelling from somewhere in Canada, to Ivanpah

sabydent
360 posts
25 Aug 2011 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

sabydent said...

Harleyd:

I am going to lake ivanpath near Vegas Oct. 13, 14, & 15. I will be renting a Bokart. Is this near you? Would like to see Holey Moley sail.

Brian

Why are you going to rent a blokart when you already have a hotter yacht

Much as I would like to take my mini with me, it is a 22 hour drve vs a 2 hour flight. I am hoping to make the drve next year....wife perrmitting. For now I want to see what it is like to sail a venue larger than a parking lot. I run out of space before I get up to speed. I have only been able to reach 51.2 kpm before I reach the fence. At which point it is jibe or crash.

Brian

WillyNilly2
19 posts
25 Aug 2011 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Ok,

s

o I don't have a bunch of photos yet, but here are a couple to PRoove that I am for real. I had to learn how to weld and convert metric to inches, not to mention purchasing tools and rummage around metal scrap piles!!!

I am having fun though

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
25 Aug 2011 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

If you like WillyNilly I could find a Metric Tape for you and send it maybe??
Save all the conversion crap, Metro is simpler than Imperial or Yanky Std. Why else do you think us Aussies took it on?? Like how hard is it to divide 1000 x 100 x 10 or by 5??? Most of these guys need to get their shoes off to count above 10. Jees! am I ever gonna cop it for this??[}:)]
Ron W
PS Only if you promise not to take my name in Vain.

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
25 Aug 2011 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hey nikrum, with two of my fingers shortened by explosive "accidents" I can count in fractions, otherwise I can count to eleven before I take off my shoes[}:)]

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
25 Aug 2011 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

YO! TP1,
You are sounding like the Irishman and the Grenade.. You still got your tackle???

Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
25 Aug 2011 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

WN (WilliNilly)
It appears that you are running your Mast Over the Step. Don't forget to taper the Top 1" so there no sharp edges for the CF to break on. With a Mast inside the Step Support it has to be Flared. It is hard to tell from the Pic's but have you angled the mast step back at the top ??? If not look at LLM's and other LY's they are all angled back. If in doubt Ask ask. No one will put S***T* on you.
Ron

sn
WA, 2775 posts
25 Aug 2011 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Test pilot 1 said...

Hey nikrum, with two of my fingers shortened by explosive "accidents" I can count in fractions, otherwise I can count to eleven before I take off my shoes[}:)]

show-off!

I can only count up to 7.45 (ish) before I have to take my boots off

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
26 Aug 2011 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

Nikrum said...

YO! TP1, You still got your tackle???
Ron

Thats how come I can count up to 11[}:)]

desertyank
1260 posts
26 Aug 2011 3:21AM
Thumbs Up

WillyNilly2 said...

Ok, so I don't have a bunch of photos yet, but here are a couple to PRoove that I am for real. I had to learn how to weld and convert metric to inches, not to mention purchasing tools and rummage around metal scrap piles!!!

I am having fun though

Here's a source for the metric tape measure

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GFHABG

The pics look great; keep them coming, please. When you are ready to post the next batch, you should start a new thread. This one has been hijacked quite a few times already

I think the LLM mast step is either 7 or10 degrees off vertical, but check the plans before you continue. If you follow the particulars of the plans, you can use the straight boom, or the wishbone windsurfer boom. I have rigged my LLM both ways..... Keep us posted, please

j murray
SA, 947 posts
26 Aug 2011 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

Here's the ultimate tape measure....a little old but put together for two headed

Tazmanians [inbred] two scales, metric and imperial that's mm's and inches

that gotta be good................

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
26 Aug 2011 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

sabydent said...
I run out of space before I get up to speed. I have only been able to reach 51.2 kpm before I reach the fence. At which point it is jibe or crash.
Brian

Only 51.2kmh before you jibe or crash into the fence. Oh Dear, can't have that can we.

Get the straight jacket out boys. We have another speed freak here.

Windcrazy
89 posts
29 Aug 2011 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

We are going to be on ivanpah Oct 20 to 25. A bunch of us get together in vages and or primm to play I'm from wa. state. There are some from texas, california, and
Ill. You are welcome to join in.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
29 Aug 2011 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

you are soooooo going to kick youself for not taking the drive and your yacht.
its only just down the road!!!!!!!!!!!
I just nipped over to melbourne for a beer.only 2750km when I stopped off at Pt Germainefor a break it was perfect AGAIN.
could you freight it to some kind local who can drop it at the lake.
time to see what the Seabreeze network can achieve perhaps
just remember that a blowie will feel like a wet flannel after your mini, so if you get a buzz from the blowie, imagine what you could have got from the mini

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
29 Aug 2011 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

sabydent said...
I run out of space before I get up to speed. I have only been able to reach 51.2 kpm before I reach the fence. At which point it is jibe or crash.
Brian

Only 51.2kmh before you jibe or crash into the fence. Oh Dear, can't have that can we.

Get the straight jacket out boys. We have another speed freak here.

Psst! Saby, the straight jacket! Some of the "speed freaks" use them instead of seat belts[}:)]

harleyd
183 posts
19 Sep 2011 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

I was looking around and saw the plans for the pacific majic. then i realized i ordered these plans maybe 10 years ago. when i saw they used diamond drilling pipe, i figured i couldnt find it here in the states. So i shelved the plans. well back at full circle. built the mini. any way Big question? What should i build next?

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
19 Sep 2011 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

build clems class5

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
19 Sep 2011 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

harleyd said...

I was looking around and saw the plans for the pacific majic. then i realized i ordered these plans maybe 10 years ago. when i saw they used diamond drilling pipe, i figured i couldnt find it here in the states. So i shelved the plans. well back at full circle. built the mini. any way Big question? What should i build next?

Hey Big Motor Bike,
You have the Plans for the Pac' Mag', why not have a go it it?? I used 3mm x 75mm Pipe of the type we use for holding up sign posts (Occum's Razor) The Pipe seems to stand up to the Stresses well and lifts my 100Kgs quite happily. it is a pity but I am having Authentication Error problems or I would upload some footage on YouTube.
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
19 Sep 2011 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

theres plenty of room yet to make your mini an insane racing speed machine . youve barely started

harleyd
183 posts
20 Sep 2011 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

i will , but i like to have something building in my head, what is clems 5?

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Sep 2011 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

BigMotorBike,
Go have another look at this It is something to aspire to>

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Land-Yacht-Sailing/Construction/carbon-5-anyone/?page=2
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
20 Sep 2011 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

harleyd said...

i will , but i like to have something building in my head, what is clems 5?

start experimenting with Y frame mini ideas, they are fun, an OTT mini is truelly jumping in the deep end, you are really in deep by then

harleyd
183 posts
21 Sep 2011 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

what are the benifits of y frame ? im a big boy and the longer wheelbase apeals to me
I weigh 150 kg. wish i was less but hey,.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
21 Sep 2011 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah! "BIG" Motor Bike,
I reckon the Pac Mag is the one for you.. You should be able to find someone that sell 6 x 6 Rims and you can scrounge around the local Aircraft workshops for second hand tires. They sail well under light weights but only in light winds. I find Occum's razor sails well under 100Kg Look at footage Sunday Drive. It takes some effort for it to lift a wheel with me on board but I dare say with your weight you should make your Mast according to Landyachts/Paul's Plans to withstand the Shock Loads of heavy wind gusts.
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
21 Sep 2011 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

harleyd said...

what are the benifits of y frame ? im a big boy and the longer wheelbase apeals to me

you would be a bit heavy for the pacific magic , mainly because the seat has a large unsupported area. if you are thinking about a larger class 5 machine consider building a yacht with the same wheels but a simple T framewith a class 5 2500mmX2000mm wheelbase

desertyank
1260 posts
21 Sep 2011 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

landyacht said...

harleyd said...

you would be a bit heavy for the pacific magic , mainly because the seat has a large unsupported area. if you are thinking about a larger class 5 machine consider building a yacht with the same wheels but a simple T framewith a class 5 2500mmX2000mm wheelbase

I built this one a while back, and it works very well. Same dimensions landyacht recommends, and nice and stiff. Make a seat to fit the ballast/body and sail away The adjustable foot pedals are unnecessary, I think I would just go with the P.M. plans, or make something simple... PM me if you decide to go this route, and have questions.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
22 Sep 2011 1:47AM
Thumbs Up

landyacht said...

harleyd said...

This is one he built for his Missus at her insistance and his objection.

harleyd
183 posts
22 Sep 2011 12:35AM
Thumbs Up

MINOR ERROR.120 K NOT 150. NED TO CHECK MY CALCULATIONS NEXT TIME.
THE ONE IN THE PIC LOOKS GOOD

harleyd
183 posts
22 Sep 2011 2:47AM
Thumbs Up

DOES ANYBODY HAVE PLANS FOR THAT YELLOW MONSTER?

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"new sailor in Northern California." started by harleyd