Forums > Land Yacht Sailing   Events & Competitions

ALSA Australian National Titles 2010

Created by bazl > 9 months ago, 10 May 2009
niaychi
97 posts
4 Nov 2009 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

landyacht said...

As Ive said before the surface is quite gravelly , add a good solid seabreeze, 20 yachts in a confined area winding up to race and you will have pile ups.
the heavier wieght of a cl5 and increased turning circle really dont help either.
. I think the case same would be be the same for the minis as well.

thanks for that info

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
13 Nov 2009 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Time is marching on. maybe we should start to get a list of nominations up here and what class they will be competing in. I am looking foward to the event.
Cheers
aus230

bazl
WA, 700 posts
13 Nov 2009 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

aus230 said...

Time is marching on. maybe we should start to get a list of nominations up here and what class they will be competing in. I am looking foward to the event.
Cheers
aus230

Great idea. As soon as I can find out how many have nominated I will put up some details. A fair number of late nominations are expected, thats the way it is

bazl
WA, 700 posts
13 Nov 2009 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Three minis and one class 5 have nominated so far

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
7 Dec 2009 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

you can add 2 Days( father and daughter team ) for minis , plus 1 class 5, from me.

I have 2 LLminis currently available to anybody who would like to race, a I would like to see my whole fleet out on the lake. you may be up for the cost of 2 or 3 tyres as all the yachts are bald as after a good hard year of sailing. offer goes out to interstate and international sailors first. great cheap airfares to perth at that time o year. I may be able to organize a swag and tent if necessary.

niaychi
97 posts
27 Dec 2009 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

lachlan3556 said...

Any news to say if camping is allowed at the lake?
has permission been granted to camp on lake yet??????

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
28 Dec 2009 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Sandgropers have just let us lefroydians know that the camping permission has been pulled by DEC. we have just organized a tentsite at the dixon rd camping ground.
destinations.campermate.com.au/wa
not to far away , and hopefully soft green grass and HOT showers
dont know any other fine details at present

bazl
WA, 700 posts
23 Jan 2010 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic days racing. Class 5 started with two races followed by blokarts then mini class. 17 class 5s, 9 minis and 7 blokarts (more expected tomorrow) on the lake, everybody has had a ball.

Day 1 results
Blokart Performance
'Slim' Wiles
Andrew Bates
Danny Deutscher

Mini Class 3
Wayne Forbes
Paul Day
Vic Bermingham

Mini Class 2
Dave Webster
Kym Lapthorne
Wayne Thomas

Class 5
Ron Clare
Craig Kjellgren
Graeme Chandler/ Murray Turner

bazl
WA, 700 posts
24 Jan 2010 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Day2. Another breezy sailing day around 15knots, decreased a bit towards the end but that made for interesting racing in the class fives.

Class 5 results
Murray Turner
Craig Kjellgren
Craig Turner

Remainder of the results TBA - only got 18 races in today so blokart will start tomorrow with their last two to complete a bracket of six. Results for Minis are I believe unchanged.

One more day to go - hope its as good as the racing so far.

bazl
WA, 700 posts
26 Jan 2010 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Day 3

Frustrating time due to unreliable breeze. Event was finally called off about 2pm when completion of any races appeared unlikely. Didn't really matter anyway as there were already sufficient races completed to declare placings.

Winners

Class 5
Murray Turner Sandgropers in a Club 88 (No real surprise there)
Craig Turner ditto
Craig Kjellgren ditto again

Mini 2
Dave Webster and Kym Lapthorne from Adelaide LandYacht Club in a tie. Both were sailing Phoenix yachts

Mini 3
Wayne Forbes from Adelaide LandYacht Club in a LL Mini with hand steering as per blokart. A welcome result from a newcomer.
Paul Day
Special mention to Miranda Day for a creditable equal third tied with Vic Bermingham. Well done Miranda

Blokart
Andy Bates
Slim Wiles
Till
Worth noting that the guys who had performance bits shared them with the others in order to try and make the yachts equal. Great effort guys and there is bound to be lessons learned which can be reapplied or tweaked in the future.

Of course right after the presentations the wind came up and many of the yachts got out for a sail. The wind remained well into the night and even yours truly was still out sailing after 8pm. Amazing how good visibility is in moonlight with a white surface and black contrasting turn markers (tyres).

Well done to all competitors for completing 34 land yacht races free of any major incident. Must do it again sometime.

Look out for the next National competition scheduled for 2012

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
14 Feb 2010 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

dear Bazl , if you slot my name back into the class 5 list , I'll shout you a beerr next time you come to lefroy. i was the yacht with the huge number of bolts that either sailed REALLY fast , or REALLY slow
you probably forgot me cos' I didnt crash into you this year

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
15 Feb 2010 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

putting them in the esky now

Arjay
VIC, 267 posts
16 Feb 2010 12:52AM
Thumbs Up

you were just to quick! the invisible beast!!!

bazl
WA, 700 posts
15 Feb 2010 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

landyacht said...

putting them in the esky now

Sweet! They should be cold by the long weekend (in September)

bazl
WA, 700 posts
21 Feb 2010 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Full Results with everybody included

Class 5

Murray Turner
Craig Turner
Craig Kjellgren
Graeme Chandler
Paul Day
Ron Clare