QLD Conway Beach social sail Easter 2008

Created by hills > 9 months ago, 2 Mar 2008
hills
SA, 1622 posts
3 Mar 2008 12:58AM
Thumbs Up

Just thought I'd copy this in here to save you the effort

peter81 said...

Hi all, as a few of you might have noticed there will be a Blokart Vs. Kite Buggy Challenge at Conway Beach of the Easter long weekend (2008).

There have been questions about Tides over the weekend and a few other questions so i thought i would start a new thread for this 'event' for us to discuss any and all matters.

Tides for the Easter weekend are as follows:
Friday 21st - 0407h 0.68m, 1028h 3.60m, 1639h .065m, 2251h 3.26m
Saturday 22nd - 0442h 0.80m, 1057h 3.39m, 1703h 0.69m, 2322h 3.27m
Sunday 23rd - 0516h 0.97m, 1123h 3.15m, 1726h 0.76m, 2353h 3.23m
Monday 24th - 0551h 1.16m, 1147h 2.88m, 1746h 0.86m

For kite buggying, i have normally used 2.5m as a guide for when i can buggy at high tide and still have plenty of space available. And as you know, blokarts do not need as much beach as a kite buggy. Now at a guess i would think that a blokart would be able to use the beach with a high tide of around 3.0m, so there should not be too much interruption.

we will also have the added benefit of a freshly washed beach, by following the tide as it recedes.

I was planning on meeting up with those who are coming, at the beach side shelter, near the toilet block, at around 12noon on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. There we could discuss the days activities, and go from there.

If the winds are up, as predicted, i will be taking advantage of the morning low tides also.

I am also hoping to come down to Conway on the Friday, but not until later in the afternoon.

I also have another idea in mind for those who are game, and that is a bit of black top sailing in a new subdivision in Proserpine, directly across the road from my place on Sunday morning. We could discuss this further either here or when we meet up at Conway on the Saturday. The new estate has two quite large loop roads, each has only one entrance point, and it would be quite easy to control the flow of car traffic, as there is none, and we could just take charge. a bit cheeky i know, but he who dares wins!! the estate is still being built, there has only been one house started so far, and there is usually no work in progress on sundays.

Anyone with questions, Please ask them here, and i would also like to hear from anyone who will be attending by email so we can keep in touch. My email address is Peter8_1 (at) westnet.com.au my mobile number is 0401 565 065, (i have very poor reception at home, so please make contact by SMS.)

As far as i know all camping sites and accommodation both at Conway C'Van park and Proserpine hotels/motels is full. Anyone desperately wanting to come along is invited to pitch a tent or bring your caravan to my Back Yard, You are more than welcome!!!

Thanks all, and hope to see you at Easter time.
Peter

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
3 Mar 2008 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

yesterday (2nd march) high tide was 3.22m and the was enough room for blokarting if there was not so much debris on the beach.

stevo bbb
QLD, 56 posts
4 Mar 2008 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Mackay blokarters can't wait for easter at Conway!!!

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
4 Mar 2008 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

i'm making enquires for a rental house on the beach front for the easter weekend, then it will be morning noon and night!!!

i have never flown a kite at night, but have heard of people using glosticks.

a blokart at night would be fun, with or without nav lights!!!!

stevo bbb
QLD, 56 posts
11 Mar 2008 1:51AM
Thumbs Up

Fun/frightening ,a bit of a combination!

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
11 Mar 2008 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

beep beep beep beep

NEWS FLASH

i have sold just about all my kite buggy gear

so now it will be a string less happening thing!!!

sorry, bad news on the beach house topic, seems like i was about 2 years late requesting the house!!!!

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
21 Mar 2008 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

Photos from Day 1 - 6 Blokarts

All the above images can be seen full size in the Photo Gallery, in the Land Yachting section

hills
SA, 1622 posts
22 Mar 2008 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like it was a top day, how many were there?

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
23 Mar 2008 1:43AM
Thumbs Up

Photos from Day 2 - 8 Blokarts

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
23 Mar 2008 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Day 3

hills
SA, 1622 posts
23 Mar 2008 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Far out! great vid!! What did you break in that last 360?

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
24 Mar 2008 3:10AM
Thumbs Up

hills said...

Far out! great vid!! What did you break in that last 360?

i broke a pulley whip, the stick that extends out of the seat to the rear, where the sheet is attached through a pulley.

these are intended to break in these cases. simply cut off the broken section, stick it back in the hole, and keep sailing.

i sailed another hour and a half after that, and then discovered i had a bit of broken stitching in a brand new sail.

Broken pulley whip below.

Broken stitching below

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
24 Mar 2008 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Sail repaired and i was able to continue sailing on day 4.

with special thanks to Robert of Ullman Sails, Proserpine, for a speedy repair at 9am on easter monday morning. its handy having a sail loft less than 200m from home.

No photos of day 4. i was too busy sailing and promoting blokarting, as we have all been doing all weekend.

Day 4 saw 5 blokarts on conway beach, we headed further north on the beach to find a smoother patch of sand, we set up a short two turn course, Michaels two boys where fighting it out and doing a damn good job too, Old fart and Bull arrived at around 3.30 i think, at the course was extended all the way up the beach, a long tack to the first mark, broad reach to the second, and a nice quick reach back to the first mark.

bloody sting ray holes and clumps of seaweed were obstacles everyone had to avoid, and there were no breakages for the day.

In summery, the weekend was a total success, there were a great number of blokarts on the beach, and a crowd formed along the foreshore to watch the action.
there were first timers getting a feel for a blokart, young kids getting a ride on old farts lap, plenty of spills, and even more thrills.
The local Caravan park offered to put up prizes for some racing, thanks very much to the owners of Conway Beach Tourist Park for their very generous offer. we turned down the offer, stating that the offer would be taken up at the next event to be held at conway beach.
Discussions are under way for the next event at Conway, we will be pushing for sponsorship from ARSA and Blokart Australia for the event.
more information will be come available after the titles being held in Mackay.

To all who attended, thanks very much for your support, with out you guys, it would not have happened at all, you should also be commended for your sportsmanship and care taken towards other beach users.

I am glad to also report that there were no accidents apart from a few Over turned blokarts, a few bruised egos (mine), and a gentle t-bone that caused no damage.
the punishment the blokarts took over the weekend is testament to their build quality and design, and shows just how much these karts can take, and still some.

Thanks also to all the spectators, there must have been at least 300 over the whole weekend, and they were just great, well behaved, and full of questions.

hills
SA, 1622 posts
25 Mar 2008 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Congrats on coordinating an outstanding event and promoting this great sport. If you make it a regular event I'll have to make the pilgrimage when I get a Blokart!!

Barak BBB
QLD, 40 posts
25 Mar 2008 5:26AM
Thumbs Up

Hi
here is two fast laps around Conway beach on Easter Sunday:

Barak

peter81
QLD, 48 posts
26 Mar 2008 2:37AM
Thumbs Up

love it barak, good stuff mate.

who is that good looking fella with the coloured hair in the back blokart at the start???

OLD FART
QLD, 80 posts
27 Mar 2008 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Old fart Here--To all buggying fans out there results for Conway
challenge buggy v blokart--BLOKARTS 1 BUGGY NIL--your defender
jumped the fence and purchased a blokart to join the fast team
nine karts on beach no buggysLONG LIVE BLOKARTS
VERY GOOD EASTER--BEACH WORTH KITING--conway beach resort good
stepping stone for airlie beach whitsundays[20 mins away]

REGARDS OLD FART

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
28 Mar 2008 2:58AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dudes, Sounds and looks like you had a fat ole time up there at Conway. Great stuff, got the locals excited too!!

Wind just did not happen at Bundy over the weekend. Lots of wind and kite surfers at Elliot Heads near here ended up just chewing the fat on the beach.

I'll be seeing you guys mid winter sailing season. Cheers from Cisco.

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing   Events & Competitions

"QLD Conway Beach social sail Easter 2008" started by hills