Forums > Land Yacht Sailing   Events & Competitions

WA Open Lake Lefroy 28-30 October 2011

Created by bazl > 9 months ago, 14 Feb 2011
bazl
WA, 700 posts
14 Feb 2011 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Come one come all to this years all in get together. The public holiday in WA which normally is early in the month has been moved to the 28th and thus the reason for the Friday start. Rumour has it that early starters will be sailing during the week preceeding so activity is expected for an extended period.

Class 5, mini and blokart events are all being catered for and two marathons (mini and class5) are planned, with the Lightning Nickel Shield up for grabs.

Lake Lefroy is a remote area and accommodation is limited to say the least. While there is toilet and shower facilities on site participants from interstate and overseas at previous events have found it most practical to hire a motorhome or camper as a base.

Enquiries are welcome, PM me

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
14 Feb 2011 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Dam I am sure looking forward to it.
A couple pics of the camp adjacent to lake Lefroy and one of the lake expanse, miles of flat salt, a land yacht can disappear in the distance .
There are a couple of watering holes (Kambalda 30k, Widgemootha 17k)

Andy B
WA, 130 posts
19 Feb 2011 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Great get away event this one, really looking forward to it, who knows I might even win my own shield this year since Paul piped me for it last year
The Perth Blokart Club will have a good turnout rate this year with extra new members joining, see you on the salt campers!

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Feb 2011 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

aus230,
That is a spectacular shot of your beast on the Salt. Damn! Do I ever Got Salt Pan Envy. So much open Sky.
Ron

Andy B
WA, 130 posts
7 Apr 2011 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
20 May 2011 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

aus230 and mini aus have been refurnisher and are now ready for lefroy

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
20 May 2011 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

so your going with the big sail/skinny wheel combo again Vic, forcast is 30knts

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
20 May 2011 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

everything is now interchangeable now, big sails little sails ,20"or 16" skinny or wheel barrow wheels, got a bit bored so knocked up some 16" o/s diameter wheels.

Maybe I should make some floats to with the rain you guys are having.

Think I might head up north for a couple of months.

Cheers
Vic

hills
SA, 1622 posts
12 Aug 2011 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

unlocked

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
12 Aug 2011 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like there will be a stack of minis this year at Lefroy, it is shaping up into a great event. Better start heading home in the next few weeks, we are at yeppoon at the moment, still no suitable wind to have a sail.
We are going on a sailing cruise on sunday, hope to have a sail on the beach here before we leave

Cheers

bazl
WA, 700 posts
19 Aug 2011 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Time is galloping on, this event fast approaching

The only change from the original post is that blokarts will sail as minis for this event

EOIs and/or enquiries welcome, PM me

Andy B
WA, 130 posts
23 Sep 2011 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

I have just had a sudden rush of s#%t to the brain, last year when packing up I would have killed for a garden hose to wash my Blokart down before packing it away for the long trip home, this year I will be taking a six litre pressure garden spray which will clean off the salt while conserving water.
I'm so cleaver I scare myself

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
24 Sep 2011 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

if your so clever why not have a go at the minimini challenge
we have set aside the final race for the miniminis so you could pull off the neccessary bits off your blowie, slip them onto a simple body and join the race . the trophies have been custom built and are well worth winning.
there are currently 6 miniminis built or being tested. wheelbase 1100mm widex1100mm long , a sit on landyacht!!!!!!
charlotte has souped hers up and may even break her 39.9kph speed record, and us blokes are determined to beat her.
just use all you blowie bits, then youll be really clever
we will watch out for exploding heads

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
24 Sep 2011 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

On the topic of the event i have 1 mini available for use, it may end up costing you 2 tyres , as they are presently 50% worn, but its a good yacht for a <90kg pilot

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
25 Sep 2011 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Went out to Lefroy today, The lake looks ready for the event, dry and hard. Hope its the same in 4 weeks.
Cheers

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
25 Sep 2011 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

aus230 said...

Went out to Lefroy today, The lake looks ready for the event, dry and hard. Hope its the same in 4 weeks.
Cheers

what are you doing there vic??????
thought youd catch a sneeky peek
how was carnamah
wind looks great for monday vic , ring me

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
15 Oct 2011 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Not long to go
Storm sail's for aus230. Just in case

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
23 Oct 2011 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

some rain saturday night, and showeres sunday,but when the southerly started today there was racing room on the pond within 1/2 hr. salt should be really smooth, a bit damp perhaps so face cover and goggles will be the go. or blokart pods

bazl
WA, 700 posts
24 Oct 2011 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Registration and scrutineering Friday 8am

Nomination $30 to race either or both classes. Be early, there will be quite a few to get through.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
31 Oct 2011 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

I can't believe we pulled it off, We had buckets of rain the fortnight before , and the week before, and the day before
after ringing the travellers to let them know , they all said they were coming anyway. I dont think anybody was ready to see the entire lake flooded.
then the wind decided to clear a kilometre of "salt"that was the roughest,muddiest,hardest wettest slop Ive ever raced on
the rain had dissolved salt out of holes and cracks that had then refilled with black and brown ooze. we knocked out the Andrew Bates perpetual Marathon Shield in 15 pounding laps. Again Andrew was pipped at the line by little ol' me but what fun it was

The princess of speed finished her first race in style.
Id have to say this was worse than the awful beaches in Lytham, and SOS just ate it up like a real yacht
next day the wind shifted and we were flooded out in less than an hour by water moving at 10m per minute. A few 5's felt the need to sail until the last gasp

racing was abandoned and after a hunt of some salt ponds to start monitoring for drying some of us headed bush to find a few yabbies,wildflowers,sandalwood nuts(yum)and just some greenery. on returning we found that 2 ponds had started to drain and the boys were already sailing on 1.
we agreed that we would hang off till sunday and see if the wind and water held off. sadly some competitors had left early in the afternoon, so they missed an
ABSOLUTELY AWSOME day of racing.We had half a pond of rollerskating smooth, WHITE ,DRY,salt with a fresh layer of fine white crystals,what we call grade AAA
We raced the Lightning Nickel Marathon in only 40 minutes. A similar sized course,with less tacks,for the minis ,had taken almost 2 hrs.
15 flying laps,the whole course tricky upwind and downwind legs,windshifts and 2 flying leaps over an old causeway on each lap

then we ripped out 5 races per class to give the needed 6 races to call an event, .
It was great to see crazy trav and Vic showing the way with some OTT 5's to challenge us old wheelbarrow boys and girls.

mind you they didnt get it all thier own way
Bazl will be putting the results up
we didnt get to run the minimini cup due to the strong winds, but we will try to run it soon. I can announce that the 40kph challenge is on as a minimini built from old blokart parts managed 44kph in one direction, maybe both ways next time

little stig has been working on her streamlining ,and is determind to up the chase speed.
One of my highlights was to see the number of new minis built locally in the last 18 months.This is only the WA builds. and doesnt include the mini Explorers

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
1 Nov 2011 1:13AM
Thumbs Up

Well what a fantastic event!!!! Bit damp at the start but who cares.

Bryan indicating where the softies were. In the club shelter.

Lyndon lent me his "blue tent peg" to hold down my abode.

Barry couldn't get his helmet off, as his hair was still standing on end, after a high speed crash, in the hail storm. I watched terrified, as he launched 1 meter into the air, jumped clean over the causeway into the main lake ending with an enormous splash. Up he came smiling like he had swallowed a coat hanger much to my relief. We decided to give it a miss after this, as the hail stung too much at high speed.

"Saline By" after her 63.1 kmh maiden voyage. 6.2 mtrs of sail on a very flexible 5.1mtr mast. Very "high tech" second hand Xtra light galv pipe, sign post chassis.

The area after the tide came in when the wind dropped.

Thankyou to everyone. I had a FAT TIME!!!!!!
Chook

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
1 Nov 2011 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

aus4 and aus230 are back in bridgetown after a fun weekend at Lefroy.
We arrived early during a storm, When the sun came up we thought that was the end of the event,water mud every where, somehow the lake cleared and a few of us had a fun day tearing up and down the lake until we where hit by one of the most severe storms that I have seen on the goldfields after aus4 landed (Barry) we decided we better get out of there, the three of us (chook, barry vic) headed back to camp through hail and sleet and where drowned like rats when we got there but we had grins from ear to ear.

Some pics from around the camp, It was the greatest weekend thanks everyone.
Cheers
aus230

Chook having fun

sn
WA, 2775 posts
1 Nov 2011 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Gidday everyone!
We had a ripper time at THE lake too!
Young Josh's parents are going to hate us for infecting him with the landsailing virus- he reckons his dad can weld so has to make a mini for him, and his grandparents were getting thier ears chewed off by Josh all the way back to Perth as well!

Brodie and myself had a ball playing chasy on the spare pond and generally enjoying getting much better speed than we can back home- your clean salt is just sooooo lovely to sail on compared to our local oval and dry lake bed ( both are used by lots of dogs for "excercising" so its like sailing on a minefield at times

Brodie is going to try to convince his school to make lefroy minis as a project next year, instead of the powered bikes and karts they have been messing about with this year

Thanks to Paul and Chook for bringing the extra landyachts for us to borrow- we really appreciate it- and it was also great to put faces to lots of names at last!
(way overdue)

The crew that left early really missed out on a good time too!

All the best,

Stephen, Anna, Brodie and Josh.

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
1 Nov 2011 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks so much for the pictures and event reports. Looked like and awesome few days, even with the rain.

hills
SA, 1622 posts
2 Nov 2011 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic photos guys!! Looks like you all had a great time despite the water!! :)

bazl
WA, 700 posts
2 Nov 2011 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Results from the Landsailing WA State Titles:

Lightning Nickel Shield for the Class 5 Marathon - Paul Day

Andrew Bates Trophy for the Mini Marathon - Paul Day

Class 5
1st - Paul Day
2nd - Vic Bermingham
3rd - Travis Bartlett

Mini Class
1st - Paul Day
2nd - Lyndon
3rd - A very surprised Barry Pulford

Well done to all the winners

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
2 Nov 2011 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like someone needs a (larger???) handicap

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
2 Nov 2011 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Vic was really humming
with a flying final lap
on his final downwind leg
it kinda' turned to crap
you've got to keep on sailing
landsailing those blues away

it really was down to the last 300m downwind leg,and gybing in just the right or wrong place. the class 5 short races were incredibly closeand only 1 point difference in the results

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
3 Nov 2011 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

I dont know if Barry or lyndon has the final results, But ive got the score sheets here so heres the rest of the results.
real names have been supressed where better ones exist
12th TP1 doing so well until his sail tore in lap 9
11th Chook raffle a fearless young starter. no idea of his real name
10thLyndon his second sail in a class 5 and only his second serious race effort
9th lucky phil.lucky not to get injured after sailing very fast past wifeys car on friday[}:)]
8th Bazl with a wheel bearing on the way out
7th Greg fast yacht fast hair
6th Barry Pulford getting better every season
5th Fearless Fairy later proceeded to kick butt.
4th Murray Turner the defender, very hard to pass and finished the race on 2 canvas tyres
3th crazy Trav huge effort for a lad that has hardly sailed since last year
2nd Aus 230 had the lead 4 different times during 15 laps
1st Landyacht gotta earn the name
6 of us jumped out of the 5's and straight out to the start line for 2 3 lap mini races. I'll put up the mini marathon breakdown as soon as I lay my hands on it

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
3 Nov 2011 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

does anyone have any sailing pics of the event to post
Cheers
aus230
Reflecting on the weekend I think the rain turned it into a great social event with a lot of fun had by all

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
4 Nov 2011 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

now your home Vic ,you can gat back into building the BERMINATOR
I popped out to the cave and machined a 20"graphite impregnated nylon 3 spoke redy to fit to some kind of landyachty thing , maybe

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing   Events & Competitions

"WA Open Lake Lefroy 28-30 October 2011" started by bazl