Forums > Land Yacht Sailing   Events & Competitions

australia day weekend 2013

Created by beachball57 > 9 months ago, 30 Jan 2013
beachball57
SA, 538 posts
30 Jan 2013 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

well the australia day weekend at kingston clay pans in south australia was to say the least a blast,, good stong winds arrived every afternoon, the surface of the clay pan while slippery in patches was more that 90% usable, firm not really hard but firm enough to have a ball.. A mix of blokart, land yacht and kite buggy all sailing, all having fun, made for a great few days on the clay...the owner of the land that surronds the clay pans made an appearance and was very interested in what was going on and is more than happy to have people sailing on the clay pans when ever they are dry, which , you have to admit is a change .. a very nice old gentleman indeed,, as the clay pans are only just out of town the caravan park played host to a few kite buggies as well as land sailors with a nice hot shower at the end of the day just made to order..So it looks like the kingston clay pans on the Australia day weekend and /or the week leading upto it will be the place to be each year for a week of sailing and fun .. I know thatnext year the world are on in WA but for those that don't have a blokart or are not going to go to the worlds then maybe consider going to kingson for the australia day weekend,,, i have already started making a few plans for those that think they might want to go to kingston I have put a few photos in the gallery of the weekend for anyone that wants to have a look

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
30 Jan 2013 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

The pan looks spot on BB. Being close to civilization makes it a heap more attractive than Gillies.

Was that lachlan I saw in one of the pics?

beachball57
SA, 538 posts
30 Jan 2013 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

yes it was he made the trip over from bendigo for the weekend and had a ball too i expect.....as for being close to town yeh that is the beauty of it, can stay in the comfort of a c'van park and within 10 to 15 mins be out sailing,, gotta love that don't get me wrong gilles is great for a week away sailing in an isolated place and to just "get away from it all" but for just weekend or few days sailing without having to "rough it" kingston looks to be the place, and if the wind is to much or not enough there is a bunch of other stuff that you can do as well.

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
30 Jan 2013 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, I was there. Had a great time sailing and checking out the area, I'll definateyl be going again next year (hopefully with a few more attending ).

Great to meet Tony and his family, as well as some of the Kiters.

Sorry for the quite dodgy pics, I was too busy out sailing to be taking photo's!

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
30 Jan 2013 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

C'mon Tony...post the images in the thread!

We'll lose track of them otherwise

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
30 Jan 2013 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

that surface looks really excellent fellas,great find BB
**s on cherrieux!

beachball57
SA, 538 posts
31 Jan 2013 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

lachlan3556 said...
C'mon Tony...post the images in the thread!

We'll lose track of them otherwise

how do i do that

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
31 Jan 2013 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Under the box where you write your post message there are two links, one to upload a new image ("Add an image to my message") and another to add one you have already uploaded ("Show my uploaded images"). Just click on the latter and click the images you wish to add.

beachball57
SA, 538 posts
31 Jan 2013 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

oh ok

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
31 Jan 2013 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Good to see the images up. Im glad someone took the time to take some pictures of what was going on.

I pretty much just threw the yacht together as quick as I could and took off!

beachball57
SA, 538 posts
1 Feb 2013 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

lachlan3556 said...
Good to see the images up. Im glad someone took the time to take some pictures of what was going on.

I pretty much just threw the yacht together as quick as I could and took off!

no dramas matehopefully by the next trip I'll have those goggles that i told you about with the built in camera....

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
1 Feb 2013 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

Just watched John's vid on Extreem kites.

Looks great and a great time had by all.

beachball57
SA, 538 posts
1 Feb 2013 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

yeh just had a look myself,, not a bad video,, we all had a great few days sailing thats for sure... not to sure about the kite buggies though my main concern would be my foot coming off the steering peddles and ending up sticking in my ear, but they say it doesn't happen much,, knowing my luck it would just be the one time it happened

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
1 Feb 2013 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh, I have a dead leg so thats why I use a heel strap on my foot pegs.

I don't know if you noticed the pegs on Joel's buggy?
I made them and gave to him last easter in Yeppoon. They have a heel support made out of a piece of 1 ton ratchet strap.

The coloured strap is for towing it over the dune back to the resort where we were staying. Buggy is a Sysmic S2 on Midi XL tyres.
Don't mind the sticky tape holding the bike drink bottle holder on. The humidity in QLD nearly killed this old south coastal chook.

hills
SA, 1622 posts
2 Feb 2013 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

great stuff guys!! I'll try my hardest to be there next year! ;)

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
2 Feb 2013 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Some video of the event. Sorry, most of the time the camera seems to have been pointed towards my yacht. Next year I'll take more time out from sailing to get footage of everyone else

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
21 Feb 2013 3:06AM
Thumbs Up

Late addition to the thread.

Here are a couple of GPS tracking data images (I just got the computer cable that allowed me to download the tracking data to google earth) from one of the days sailing out at the lake

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
21 Feb 2013 3:48AM
Thumbs Up

great stuff! perfect weather, good surface= fun, fun, fun

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
21 Feb 2013 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Joe and 100% correct - fun, fun, fun!

Would be great to see you and your sail wagon down there next year if you could manage it

That goes for anyone else of course

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
21 Feb 2013 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

whatever happened to the australia day beachport bash ? looking thru the forum i dont see any cancelation notice thread just went dead. Do u people post somewhere else also, dont read much of you these days. Hard to work out if it is still happening......Should keep the public informed for it to work

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
21 Feb 2013 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

I think its the same place
great footage guys and girls. did you get out on that cracking beach

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
22 Feb 2013 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

The 2013 Bash was always booked in for Kingston SE, we were thinking the 2014 event might be at Beach port but the surface is no where near as good as that at Kingston.

It will be confirmed closer to the date but the Australia Day Bash will always be at Kingston as far as I know. Of course when it gets closer to 2014 we will be letting everyone know the details.

We checked out the beach but it was thinner and rougher than the lake, therefore I didn't sail there. Plus I'm not a fan of water or sand so my choice was easy

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
22 Feb 2013 12:59AM
Thumbs Up

Beachport Bash link, penned for a March long weekend. Im sure Tony will confirm at some point, but it was moved to Kingston clay pans. Unfortunately Tony and I can't go so effectively the event is as good as cancelled unless someone else can carry the torch for it.

This one has been talked about more on facebook as it was just an idea due to the short notice.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Land-Yacht-Sailing/General/annual-migration-to-beachport/?SearchTerms=Beachport

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
22 Feb 2013 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Tar for that it now makes like a good plan

beachball57
SA, 538 posts
22 Feb 2013 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

sorry guys have been busy with work upto the gas fields out from alice and at moomba,, just got home and heading out again in the morning with another wide load to alice,,, anywaywhat's happening about the bash,, ok as was said the aussie day bash is and was always going to be at kingston on the clay pan or for those that want to go to the beach on the beach as well,, i went down to beachport and had a look at lake george but for my liking the surface was very rough compared to the clay pans at kingston so after talking about it it was decided that kingston was the ticket,, as for the march long weekend that was more or less, again as said, a spur of the moment thing,, the main "event" for lack of a better word is the aussie day weekend and few days leading up to it..
I have had a bucket load of work dropped in my lap and am not sure if I'll get to go to kingston on the march long weekend, i guess it depends on how many loads get shifted between now and then. The owner of the land Percy, is happy for anyone to go there so long as they DO THE RIGHT THING ON THE LAKE AND SURROUNDS, that is No circle work, no fires and so on. When time allows we'll work on getting the word out for the 2014 aussie day kingston land sailing and wind fest,,,I know that it clashes with the world blokart titles in perth next year but it's an alternative for those that can't or don't want to make the trip west... Again I'm sorry I've been a bit slack with info on this thread about it but there's not much internet connection in the western desert and i guss my homeing pigion got lost...

beachball57
SA, 538 posts
22 Feb 2013 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

you

can see why i'm busy

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
22 Feb 2013 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Oh, just wanted to say I'll try to move this thread to the 'Events' section at some point soon.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
22 Feb 2013 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

By Criminy BB that is one hell of a Grader, nust be a BIG Rig to carry it?
Ron

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
22 Feb 2013 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

At least Beachport likes land sailing....

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
23 Feb 2013 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^^Toys, toys, toys ! That's not a motor grader [}:)]

This is a motor grader and there's BB standing near the mouleboard

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing   Events & Competitions

"australia day weekend 2013" started by beachball57