I'm all ears mate.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
29 Jun 2012 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Test pilot 1 said...

Nikrum said...

Chook,
Why don't you use Raw Dump. You have to be careful but it works fine on my Biscuit Tim Furnace and it will take down a Kilo of Bronze quickly.
Ron

What's a Biscuit Tim

Don't be so bleedin' obtuse TP1!! TIN Biscuit Tin. TIN! damn it! Or could it be a Cross between a biscuit Tin and a Tim Tam

Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
29 Jun 2012 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

Test pilot 1 said...

Nikrum said...

Chook,
Why don't you use Raw Dump. You have to be careful but it works fine on my Biscuit Tim Furnace and it will take down a Kilo of Bronze quickly.
Ron

What's a Biscuit Tim

That's Jim's brudder Tim hanging around the Biscuit Tin all the time only to find out Cisco already ate all the Scotch Fingers.

Onea deez dayz Cisco. Ona deeze dayz I is gonna slap yuz about..[}:)]
Ron

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
29 Jun 2012 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Chook2 said...

That made me laugh guys.

What is a raw dump furnace Ron?
I'm all ears mate.

Sorry Chook I've misplaced my footage of it operating..

A raw dump system is a hose directly out of the Gas Bottle through a jet into the furnace (No regulator) The Biscuit Tin in this case is an old SS Kitchen rubbish tin, lined with a cement Aluminum Fire Clay. I will have to take more pic's for you.. It is a noisy Fire Belching Dragon who's breath is very hot.
Ron

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
29 Jun 2012 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Ahh ok Ron………. Ta.

Mine sounds like a fairly similar setup.

I have removed the regulator and it's straight out of the 8.5 kg cylinder through 8mm flex line and then into a shorter length of 5mm outside diameter brake line (I'm guessing it's 3.5mm inside) to keep the flex gas line away from the intense heat.
The end of the brake line, that is in the jets intake, has a small push bike, ball bearing welded into it to block it off and then just back from this, I drilled 12 x 1.0mm holes all around the pipe in 2 rows.
This is held on a basic clamp on the jets body, so it can slide in or out of the intake to find the sweet spot for the best mixing.

It took a bit to get it into the right position, so the gas wasn't all expelled out the front of the intake, during combustion (as this jet is valveless and has no reed valving). When it did, it would just quit/ flame out.
When the rich cloud of LPG reignited it would shake things up a tad.[}:)]

Thanks for the info.
Chook

cisco
QLD, 12322 posts
29 Jun 2012 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Chook2 said...

When the rich cloud of LPG reignited it would shake things up a tad.[}:)]

You are not a Chook. You are a Bustard and a dangerous one at that.

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
29 Jun 2012 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Not only that, he is a loud, and by all accounts, "hot" bustard as well[}:)]

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
30 Jun 2012 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Now that is nice guys! Here are me 'n' the Chook talking sence for once and yuz buggers is bein' abusive to chook. Chook nor myself are dangerous we are just looking for the truth. It is out there.

Chook I had some footage of the furnace in operation????? I guess I will have to fire it up again and shoot some more shortly.
Ron

PS, Have you looked at some of the home built Turbo Jets on you tube?
It seems some Peanuts are out there on Jet Powered Skate Boards/Road Luges

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
30 Jun 2012 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Nah, it's all good fun fellas.

Yes Ron...............
I got all exchited, when I was still on the farm and started making one using the primary Holset turbo, that came off our 400 hp Steiger tractor.
(14 litre Cummins) It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Ran into problems supplying oil to it, as all the oil pumps delivered to much supply and when I bled some off, it wasn't consistant enough.
It all got too hard and harvest rolled round.
So It's still under my bench. Never got it going.
They are pretty impressive though.
I loved the one on the video Colk 2004 sent on "Scrapheap" further back in this string.[}:)]

colk2004
317 posts
30 Jun 2012 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/challenge/engineering-part-4

You mean like this peanut Ron? There is also a good lesson for beginners in this for not putting your feet out for braking Shows quite nicely (without major injury) why not to do it.

fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/challenge/200th-episode-special-part-4

Think we expect a lot of our tv presenters. Pulse jet on a luge?? Even gives clues on how to keep it stable

Cheers Col

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
30 Jun 2012 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Damb ...................

It won't allow me to view these from my current country, it says.

Tried to find them on Youtube and they don't have the later episodes.

Thanks for trying Colk.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
30 Jun 2012 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

What a pity col, those web sites won't let me read them.. Seems that they can't be read from this country.

Ron

colk2004
317 posts
30 Jun 2012 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry guys. That's annoying. With it being a tv show the video quality is the best. First attempt, Jason builds the board up in carbon fibre and sticks 2 jets on the back. He fails at 107mph with instability and vanishes into a field from the runway at 100+ and trys to slow down using his right foot on rutted grass...very lucky to be walking away with a very sore hip joint as it kicks his leg way up into the air - a lesson for all land yachters on why not to even try it. Second attempt a few months later sees him very shakey and definitely not a happy bunny, but with a longer wheelbase for stability taking the record at 115mph (185kph), you get the impression he won't be trying for his own record. Annoyingly not on you tube.

Cheers Col

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
1 Jul 2012 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Geez Ta colk.

I always try to be as safe as possible, to minimize the dangers when trying things, but that speed sounds suicidal.

Went through almost 2 cylinders of gas today and got the small jet running really sweetly now. It will idle down to I'm guessing about 40% power and hold it and picks up instantly when more fuel is provided.

Got some video taken buy a mate today, so I hope it turns out, so I can post the results.

colk2004
317 posts
1 Jul 2012 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

If it'll all fit in your hand luggage, we can try it out on a beach in France - sure no one will mind.

Cheers Col

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
2 Jul 2012 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

That could be an act of war! "The Doddlebug returns to a french beach !"

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
2 Jul 2012 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure if it's the same one:

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
2 Jul 2012 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

You have to be kidding..............

WOW!!!!

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
2 Jul 2012 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

I'll up your Wow ........to a double WOW, WOW! That's nuts

colk2004
317 posts
3 Jul 2012 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

Only a single jet. Think that's the previous record holder at (I think) 112mph. He actually helped with the breaking of his own record by tutoring the guy on how to keep it all in line Second of the 2 runs for the record was 118mph but at the cost of both jet motors. I have a vision of Chook on a luge, pulse jet on a bit of a frame, bottle of gas on stomach going like a mad thing

Cheers Col

sn
WA, 2775 posts
3 Jul 2012 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

not likely, we cant let our tame engineering genius risk any future developments........therefore out of consideration for the advancement of further backyard scientific endeavours, I think its best all round if Chook just sticks to building- and let me do the piloting

just dont let my missus find out

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
3 Jul 2012 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hey! Chook,
I just remembered that I have seen 2 applications for Pulse Jets that I have seen in my travels..
1. When I was in the Army we used a Kero' Powered version (Highly Controlled of course) as Water Heaters..
The Exhaust was much higher than the intake which ran down into a Loop and back up as the exhaust. There was a drip plate located in the Bottom central to the intake which had a fuel tank fitted above it. Fuel was dripped down onto the Drip Plate and a small mop like Wire stick soaked in Kero' was lite and dangled over the drip plate until it ignited the heat generated in the loop Boiled a Metal Garbage Tin of Water in very short order.
2. This unit was powered by Gas and according to your 12lb thrust unit I would suggest this thing was about 6lb thrust. It also had Container for an Insecticide Liquid that would be Vaporized creating an Insecticide Fog. This unit was a bit noisy though it was also Highly Controlled to fit its application.

I thought this article may interest or remind others of where they may have seen something like the above.
Ron

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
3 Jul 2012 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ron. No, no, no, "sn", you are to valuable to your family.

With the research I've done, Pulse jets have had a very interesting development.
The first working pulsejet was patented in 1906 by Russian engineer V.V. Karavodin.
Although the French are also credited for its valveless design.
Of course during WW2 the devestating Doodle bugs, also from China (also WW2) they powered drones for aerial gunnery practice by the Chinese.
Frost prevention in fruit orchards, very large scale jets as industrial drying systems, to smoke screen generators for the armed forces, both land and sea (by injecting oil), also applications such as biomass fuel conversion and as you say huge water heaters.
A more recent one, is pissing off the neighbours!!!!![}:)]

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
3 Jul 2012 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

At which, it would seem, you excel
Or your missus[}:)]

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
26 Sep 2012 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

unlocked

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
3 Oct 2012 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Well it does run and YES it can certainly run much better than it presently does.

I had hoped to get more out of it on liquid propane, but my fuel regulating circuit just wasn't up to scratch. It did show that it had many more times the power on liquid (as most people there will attest to).
The starting shock wave, really got their attention.[}:)]

The noise bouncing back from the other side of the lake was unreal.

It was just running too rich and would just flame out and freeze up with liquid fuelling.

I did 3 runs on vapour and got to 56 kms (can't remember exactly and can't download my new GPS) It looked good on the videos I saw at the lake. It was turning off I-phones, scrambling digital videos or just stopping them recording with the pressure wave of noise.

The heat shield behind my head worked perfectly and you could hold your hand on it for a few seconds after the run.

I would appreciate as much footage as possible from the people that filmed my runs. I will pay the postage to receive it thanks. Just send me a pm so we can organize it.

I have only a quick video that I can't get to download.
If anyone can post their footage here please do so, as I would love to see it.
As soon as I can get mine sorted out I'll post it up for sure as well.

I had a lot of fun and cleaned the wax out of all the people's ears. I had a smile like I swallowed a coat hanger all night.

So "gibber" here you go just as promised.
Flick me your email address in a pm and I'll send you a high def, photo mate.

Thanks Bryan

Yes it does just slip onto my yacht with 2 bolts, 2 setscrews and a turn buckle at the mast step.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
3 Oct 2012 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Just had a phone call from a mate that was camping on the top end of Lake Dundas. He said that they heard a thundering noise at about 20 past 6 on Saturday night.
I just checked my video that was taken during my run at 13 minutes past 6.

I wonder if it's possible that the noise followed the lake system down to them.

They were camped 112 kms away.
Does it seem possible.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
4 Oct 2012 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

What the Hell kept you Chook?? I bin bustin' a Gut waiting to hear what went down.
Shees!

Sounds like the Cops shoulda turned up..
Up the Red Rooster 'n' More Pish..
Ron

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
3 Oct 2012 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Chook
Thanks for the highlight at Lefroy, great job
Some short clips

-N0JLdM9pY

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
4 Oct 2012 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Now Chook........it looks real good,,,a little bit mad max mayybe.

The smile on your face says "OH, boy, that was good!!" I understand

your comment about the sound travelling, as with mine blasts they are

transmitted many many miles away thru strata, you dont have to be

near to experience the effect....Good job to you and your support

and recovery team So you had a Good weekend!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing General

"How to deal with no wind." started by Chook2