Forums > Land Yacht Sailing General

RV tour after the 2014 Worlds

Created by US772 > 9 months ago, 6 Jan 2014
US772
332 posts
6 Jan 2014 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

I've had a few people ask me to post some thing to do after the 2014 Worlds.
I decided to highlight some RV road trips.

Here are a few suggestions for an unforgettable RV tour of our Northern Rocky Mountain State parks .
I estimate these to be 5 to 10 day trips. The longest would go from Smith Creek/Austin to the Flathead Lake area to Glacier then Yellowstone and Grand Teton National parks. The duration all depends on how much time is spent at the parks and what area's visited.
The shortest would be Smith Creek/Austin to Yellowstone National Park.
Below I've listed various things to do and places to camp along the way.

Austin to Clark Canyon Reservoir Montana. About a 9 hour drive from Smith Creek Dry Lake Bed. Free or paid camping at Clark Canyon Reservoir Twin Falls Idaho, Pocatella Idaho and Idaho Falls are along the way to ClarkCanyon Reservoir.

Clark Canyon Reservoir-
www.visitmt.com/listings/general/lake/clark-canyon-reservoir.html

From Clark Canyon Reservoir it's another 5 hour drive to Lakeside Montana on Flathead Lake.This is where I live, work and play.

There are several RV campgrounds and around the lake.If you want full hook up there is an RV park next to my cabinet
shop. It gets filled up fast so reservations are advised.

edgewaterrv.com/

Free parking with limited (electrical) hook up can be attained behind my Cabinet shop in Lakeside. This is where I build all my dirtboats. I have a wind tunnel in the cabinet shop if anyone is interested in a tour. We have access to soft water sailing and boating on the lake.

Dave Farmer and I enjoying some afternoon sailing -

A tour around the lake can be an all day event. The trip can include stopping in at Big Fork and several of the micro breweries around the lake including Tamarack Breweries in Lakeside. There are several cherry orchards around the lake. The Kerr Dam is pretty spectacular near Polson.

www.visitmt.com/listings/general/dam/se-li-ksanka-qlispe-formerly-kerr-dam-.html

There are charter Fishing and tour boats. Boat, kayak, and paddle board rentals are available. I think there will be a Pow Wow that week after the Worlds about 15 miles from Lakeside.
www.valleyjournal.net/Article/5917/Standing-Arrow-Powwow-draws-crowds-to-Elmo
Lakeside is about an hour away from Glacier Park and the National Bison Range. Glacier Park is beautiful. It has camping, lodges, hiking, white water rafting tours and fly fishing. I recommend Going To The Sun Road. It's not RV assessible. Take a red bus tour.

Nearby communities of Whitefish and Bigfork are nice for shopping and dinning.

www.fws.gov/refuge/national_bison_range/

Glacier links-

Glacier Park Intro -

Glacier park campground for RV-
www.recreation.gov/camping/map_of_Fish_Creek_Campground/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70974&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Lodges- www.nationalparkreservations.com/glacier.php?gclid=CNDIyqnt3bsCFU9ffgodOgkAGg

Whitewater rafting-
glacierraftco.com/rafting/?gclid=CIyzmfvw3bsCFZKGfgod50gASw

Fly fishing-

Red Bus Tour-

www.glacierparkinc.com/tour_detail.php

Glacier to Great Falls Montana-

Plains Indian Museum in Browning
www.browningmontana.com/museum.html
Montana is rich with dinosaur artifacts (active digs/museums).
mtdinotrail.org/
There are few places to stop on the way to Great Falls.
www.tmdinosaur.org/location.html
oldtrailmuseum.org/
Great Falls also has the Charles Russel Museum of western art.
cmrussell.org/
South Great Falls has Ulmpishkun buffalo jump where Indians herded buffalo off a mile long cliff.
www.browningmontana.com/ulmpishkun.html

Great Falls to Bozeman
Bozeman has one of the best dinosaur museums in the Worlds called The Museum of the Rockies.
www.museumoftherockies.org/
Nearby Bozeman is the Lewis and Clarke Caverns National Park. It offers RV camping.
stateparks.mt.gov/lewis-and-clark-caverns.

Bozeman to Yellowstone National Park.

Yellowstone is a huge caldera. Its got alot to offer from beautiful forests, lakes, rivers geysers, mudpots to abundant wildlife.

Yellowstone to Grand Teton National Park Wyoming.
www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

Grand Tetons to Reno Nevada.

Maps of the routes-
www.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Austin,+NV&daddr=Yellowstone+National+Park,+WY+to:US-191+S/US-20+E/US-287+S/US-89+S/Grand+Loop+Rd+to:Grant+Village+-+Visitor+Center,+Yellowstone+National+Park,+WY+to:Colter+Bay+Village,+Moran,+WY+to:Reno,+NV&hl=en&geocode=FdqbWgIdHLIF-Sl5b2Ggwl-jgDH38JxjSz6QBA;FbvqpQId2Y1o-SG74Y80MPmorClVVVVVVeVRUzG74Y80MPmorA;FQchqAIdxwJl-Q;FYNkpQIdNAtp-SEDs1Tg9gHDKSmZ-ULajflRUzEDs1Tg9gHDKQ;FfPvnQIdDchn-SHC1fHaQclqhimlQWZZvkVSUzHC1fHaQclqhg;&aq=0&oq=Reno&sll=42.90816,-105.358887&sspn=7.039961,16.907959&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&via=2&num=10&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=6

www.google.com/maps?saddr=Austin,+NV&daddr=Clark+Canyon+Reservoir+to:Edgewater+Motel+%26+RV+Park,+U.S.+93,+Lakeside,+MT+to:Apgar+Campground,+West+Glacier,+MT+to:Dick's+RV+Park,+11th+Street+Southwest,+Great+Falls,+MT+to:KOA+Kampgrounds,+Gallatin+Road,+Bozeman, +MT+to:44.4635875,-110.8521459+to:Grant+Village+-+Visitor+Center,+Yellowstone+National+Park,+WY+to:Colter+Bay+Village+RV+Park,+Colter+Bay+Village+RV+Park,+Colter+Bay+Campground+Rd,+WY+83013+to:Reno,+NV&hl=en&sll=43.659924,-111.115723&sspn=1.738604,4.22699&geocode=FdqbWgIdHLIF-Sl5b2Ggwl-jgDH38JxjSz6QBA%3BFfGkrgIddvBF-SmhXfcfBVFXUzFW6n0WwauzXQ%3BFabE3AIdFgcx-SF2lDECujsttSll0vE8uqtnUzF2lDECujsttQ%3BFW1v5AId2740-SnV8l2cYBdmUzHG72f3eRlmmw%3BFRGk1AIdjDJd-SEwFBfAsdTYEykhrrbZF0hCUzEwFBfAsdTYEw%3BFUC0uAId4Gdf-SEN7JByc1PozilTaezAlE5FUzEN7JByc1Pozg%3BFeN1pgIdz4dk-SnZFumAxOxRUzGEzXT_vS-D5Q%3BFYNkpQIdNAtp-SEDs1Tg9gHDKSmZ-ULajflRUzEDs1Tg9gHDKQ%3BFdrynQIdE8Bn-SkVZA1IvkVSUzHQT_LKWWoXkg%3BFaEsWwIdVcnb-CmdoJKSrkCZgDGH9zh0zsXFQA&oq=Reno&t=h&mra=ls&via=6&z=6

Contact information - johhnysrocket2003@yahoo.com phone 406 253-2086
US772 John Eisenlohr Lakeside Montana on Flathead Lake

wokelliott
WA, 179 posts
6 Jan 2014 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Great Post John, makes us even more appreciative of your talents as a craftsman and now as a Tourist Advisor. Such a beautiful and varied country that I would love to visit one day - (with or without a Mini in a suitcase). All the best for the coming Worlds and the New Year...wok

US772
332 posts
9 Jan 2014 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

For those that enjoy Fly fishing near Smith Creek is Smith Creek Ranch with trout ponds. Here is a little write up I found of it.

www.fisherdad.com/2008/09/smith-creek-ranch-lander-county-nevada.html
www.renoflyshop.com/smithcreek.html

maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Austin,+NV&daddr=Smith+Creek+Ranch+Road,+Austin,+NV&hl=en&sll=39.241826,-117.120094&sspn=0.11633,0.264187&geocode=FdqbWgIdHLIF-Sl5b2Ggwl-jgDH38JxjSz6QBA%3BFUnrWAIdaOD7-CnvQseQFz2jgDFct7qLkbPZUQ&oq=Smith+creek&t=h&mra=ls&z=11

It's located about halfway between B and Smith Creek drylake bed.

I've camped and fly fished at Groves Lake Above Kingston NV. It's about an 1.5hours from the dry lake bed.

obscuresights.blogspot.com/2011/06/kingston-campground-and-groves-lake.html

maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Austin,+NV&daddr=Kingston+General+Store,+NV&hl=en&
ll=39.241826,-117.120094&spn=0.11633,0.264187&sll=38.791517,-119.602349&sspn=3.745941,8.453979&geocode=FdqbWgIdHLIF-Sl5b2Ggwl-jgDH38JxjSz6QBA%3BFYg-VgIdUFYF-SHZXN0Di42xuimd4NDQcVS7gDHZXN0Di42xug&oq=+kingston+NV&t=h&mra=ls&z=13

US772
332 posts
13 Jan 2014 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

I imagine people from over sea's will be flying into San Francisco International Airport for the Worlds. Here is a link to some of the San Francisco area sites and activities. www.viator.com/San-Francisco/d651-ttd
www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60713-Activities-San_Francisco_California.html

US772
332 posts
13 Jan 2014 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Near San Francisco is the Napa valley which is known for it's wineries. Here is a list of winery tours.
www.napatourshuttle.com/?gclid=CJqiwpD4-bsCFaQl4godxmwASg

www.napavintners.com/wineries/all_wineries.asp

US772
332 posts
13 Jan 2014 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Things to do in the Reno Tahoe area
renotahoe.com/
www.visitrenotahoe.com/101-random-things

US772
332 posts
14 Jan 2014 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

Here is a link to some info about renting a Motor Home or RV for the Worlds. - burningman.org/event/preparation/playa-living/rvs/

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing General

"RV tour after the 2014 Worlds" started by US772