Forums > Sailing General

FARRIER TT680

Created by felixdcat > 9 months ago, 19 Oct 2011
felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
19 Oct 2011 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone sailed one of those? I am looking at one! Advice please!

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
19 Oct 2011 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

felixdcat said...

Anyone sailed one of those? I am looking at one! Advice please!

I have never sailed one but there is one in town here. I have watched it sail into the river and I'm impressed by how well it sails and manoeuvres. Tacks fast for a mono hull and is close winded. Makes a lot of sense as a trailer sailer.

sleek1
VIC, 672 posts
19 Oct 2011 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Only downside is interior room.Get in it and lie in the bunks.Other than that get it.I have a tt720 and would struggle to go back to mono hull trailer sailing.

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
19 Oct 2011 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Yes it is a bit small in there! Has a nice bed under the deck toward the back. How does it handle gusty wind and choppy water?

sleek1
VIC, 672 posts
19 Oct 2011 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

little bit wet.but just goes quicker in the gusts.Take it for a test.

slainte
QLD, 2246 posts
19 Oct 2011 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Got a clicky link for it felix ?

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
20 Oct 2011 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Youtube is always handy.

Plenty of room for a trailer sailer. Most of the living is done on deck anyway. I've watched the local one sail in quite boisterous conditions with just a reefed main and was impressed.

sleek1
VIC, 672 posts
20 Oct 2011 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

Plenty of room for hobbits.And they dont like weight aswell.Best bet is to get in and lie down.It is easy to say looking at pictures but i dont fit in my wing berths (length)leaving me to sleep in the rear berth.Its 23ft long but would have the same room as an 18ft mono trailer sailer.

There is a good forum on yahoo.Link it from f-boats website.

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
20 Oct 2011 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9515253

That the one I am interrested in. Need to sale my trusty Binks 25 but it is all good!
Would need to put it on the train to go to WA, any idea of cost?
Saw one in WAQ once had a concrete 40 ft at the time and was not moving in no much wind, the Farrier passed us like it was under engine! Was impressed!

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
20 Oct 2011 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

From what I have heard the 680 sounds to be a better boat than the 720.

I don't think you could go wrong at the price but it shouldn't hurt to throw an $8,000 offer at them.

It is a BUYERS market.

sleek1
VIC, 672 posts
21 Oct 2011 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

The 680 is a bit more user friendly with the aft cabin.As the 720 has the weight of the crew to far back.Which is fine if your cruising but when your racing makes a difference.But when i race we sit out on the amas(pontoons) any way.

The 680 is a great first tri and i have been watching the one you are looking at and it seems to be a great buy.I have watched it come down from 15 k over the last year.People usualy get a 680 then 720 for the bigger rig and space inside.Then they go even bigger but they never seem to go back to monos.Their is atleast one of every size on the gippy lakes where i sail and i have crewed on all of them.

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
21 Oct 2011 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

From what I have heard the 680 sounds to be a better boat than the 720.

I don't think you could go wrong at the price but it shouldn't hurt to throw an $8,000 offer at them.

It is a BUYERS market.

Thank you for the advice.... can only try and wait!

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
30 Oct 2011 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Re:- Rail or road. I don't know what the economics of it would be but many years ago I had a car railed from Brisbane to Cairns.

The locomotive was diesel powered and the car travelled without a cover.

The diesel soot got into the paint work and knackered it. Absolutely would not wash off. It was an old car so I just wet sandpapered it off and gave it a polish.

Be warned!!!

sleek1
VIC, 672 posts
30 Oct 2011 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Prob best to pick it up yourself.I drove to Bundaburg from Victoria to pick up mine.(always a bit of bargaining tool)Same goes putting it on a truck, although i would say not as bad as a train re diesel soot.

Put a post on Trailer sailer place.Or maybe give duckflat wooden boats a call they might know someone in the area.

slainte
QLD, 2246 posts
30 Oct 2011 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Felix, talk to Perth based trucking companies as they may have a back load system for moving it back to Perth. Can end up half the freight price.

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
10 Nov 2011 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Lost the TT680, got sold the same day I sold my Binks, today saw a TT 720 for sale local, anyone has sailed one? What is the difference (other than no aft cabin)?

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
11 Nov 2011 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Here she is, my new girl!

planesailing
WA, 380 posts
11 Nov 2011 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Looks GOOD !!
ENJOY.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
12 Nov 2011 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful Felix. Looks like you have no problem making decisions, so make a decision to get that trailer fixed up otherwise it will bugger the boat.

Even though I have one and a half boats already, I am quite jealous.

We eagerly await your full report with photos and videos on the benefits of "Farrier Trailer-Tri 720" ownership.

BulldogPup
6657 posts
11 Nov 2011 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

felixdcat said...

Here she is, my new girl!

Congrats Felix ...... love the name too - how apt! .... when are we going out mate?

sleek1
VIC, 672 posts
13 Nov 2011 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Thats awesome mate! Meant to be aswell, you got the better boat and it was close to home.Heaps of photos and advice on groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TrailerTris/info .If you do have to get a new trailer stick with tandem as my single axle was hard to get rated tyres for the weight.

And check your tramps out real good,plenty of stories of people going thru them.Havent been to the west coast on mine yet but it is a trip in the future.Also you can get the plans on cdrom for her from queensland multi hull club.for about thirty dollars delivered(maybe 40)

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
14 Nov 2011 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you guys, the trailer is good, had new springs, wheels and bearings the breaks work fine had it checked by a mechanic before going, did 300km Saturday and was perfect! Also just had new tramps fitted.
We set up the rigging Sunday and all is fine all the stays are new as well, 9.8m mast very impressive on a boat that size, the sails are not the best but will do for now has 2 near new spinnakers and genacker as the guy was to scared to use them, the accommodation is small but good for 2 pple. Scored a small dinghy and a 3 hp to suit all for $ 11,000.00 . I am fitting a tiler pilot and map plotter and will take her out at the weekend!

sleek1
VIC, 672 posts
14 Nov 2011 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Thats a bargain mate!Yeah know what you mean by the mast length.Bit overwhelming after the 680's.What size outboard has she got? If your anything like me you wont be bothered taking vids, or forget, having so much fun!Guess thats a pastime for people who like watching themselves in the mirror.Enjoy!

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
14 Nov 2011 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

has a 8hp long shaft 3 year old with gear shift at throttle handle, will need repositioning as it is too close from rudder and does not allow full rudder left.
Cant wait for the weekend!

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
5 Dec 2011 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Had my first serious run with Good News Saturday, what a fun yacht she is. We had a race at the club and I crossed the start line about 30 minutes after the last yacht (had a few issues setting up) I had caught up with the last 3 yacht at the second mark, was running my main and storm jib as I had only one crew and was a bit careful, the wind was gusty to 28kt, I did 12 knot top speed runs, at one point I was coming close to one guy and passed him at the down wind leg he then ran his spinnaker and we were going at a similar speed, I could not believe it???? He then went out of control a couple of time (big gusts) and gave up his spinnaker; I left him on the spot. The Farrier is so fast it is like driving a sport car. The tiler is very light and every thing is nice and stable and under control, no bad surprises. I am so looking forward for next race and my full crew to be able to run the asymmetric spinnaker and do some real speed! I am now a multihull adept!

BulldogPup
6657 posts
5 Dec 2011 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

fantastic mate - always sweet to see someone getting joy out of a "new toy"

regards - D

slainte
QLD, 2246 posts
5 Dec 2011 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

How about some pickys or video next time Felix

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
6 Dec 2011 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

slainte said...

How about some pickys or video next time Felix

I will take some pics, don't have a water proof video cam, was too busy enjoying!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"FARRIER TT680" started by felixdcat