Forums > Sailing General

Sailmaster 845

Created by Donk107 > 9 months ago, 11 Aug 2013
Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
20 Aug 2013 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ramona

The use is day sail and 2-3 day overnighter mainly in the Huon and occasionally in the Channel and normally with my wife as crew

Not interesting in racing it at all as i am commited to crew on the Jenneau for the forseeable future and quite happy to do this (Jeff the skipper jokes that us boat owners who crew on his boat instead of racing our own do it because we prefer to wreck his gear )

Conditions in the areas we sail are from 0 to 30 knots + and can change very quickly

The ability to point is important as in the upper reaches of the Huon the wind often is blowing down the river meaning mutiple tacks to get home on a reasonably narrow river without having to resort to the motor

Regards Don

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
21 Aug 2013 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

I think the pretend one will suit us better

I have organised for it to be slipped, washed and surveyed on Friday so we will se what eventuates with that and afterwards we will take it for a motor and a sail

Regards Don

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
23 Aug 2013 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all

It looks like we now own a Sailmaster 845

We slipped it today and had it surveyed and it all looks good

Took it for a motor and sail on a glorious Hobart winters day (11 degrees, squally rain and about 15 knots of breeze) and it sailed at around 5 to 6 knots

Regards Don

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
23 Aug 2013 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
23 Aug 2013 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ramona

Now I just have to sell the Spacesailer

Regards Don

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
23 Aug 2013 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Double post

Regards Don

Watermark
NSW, 102 posts
23 Aug 2013 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations Don she looks very nice.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
23 Aug 2013 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

I had a feeling that you would soon became Sailmaster 845 owner, it is a nice boat. Congratulations.

Supersonic27
NSW, 235 posts
23 Aug 2013 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Yes mate congratulations!

She looks like a nice boat and hope you will have a lot of fun poking about down there!

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
17 Nov 2013 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

We had our first race in the new boat yesterday, had lots of fun and didn't manage to sink anything so all in all it was a good day

Regards Don

Supersonic27
NSW, 235 posts
18 Nov 2013 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

Nice shots Don, looks like you had a nice day!

Thanks for posting. Rainy and storms up here, so no sailing for me!
Rick

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
18 Nov 2013 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Supersonic27 said..

Nice shots Don, looks like you had a nice day!

Thanks for posting. Rainy and storms up here, so no sailing for me!
Rick

Hi Supersonic

The weather has been nice for the last few days and on Saturday for the race the predicted 8 knots ended up being around 16 knots with gusts in the low 20's as the afternoon wore on so it turned out to be a beaut day for a sail

Regards Don

Supersonic27
NSW, 235 posts
19 Nov 2013 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

What can be better for a sailer than a good breeze and flat water!

That bottom photo looks familiar, and I think I have an old one somewhere from the same spot.

We did a S2H in '88 or '89, and then spent 2-3 weeks cruising. Got back to Sydney about the 30th of January.

I remember we went right up the Huon River, and spent a night or 2 at several spots.

As we were looking to anchor, (I think at huonville) a guy went past in his yacht and yelled we could have his mooring for a few days if we wanted. He was going up to Hobart.

We used his mooring and I seem to remember there was a nice pub in walking distance.

Great area, loved the sailing, and fishing. The sheltered bays seemed to be every where.

I do recall we were in full wet weather gear for much of the time and the temp was about 16 degrees in the middle of summer, snow on Mt Welllington. A few days later it was 28 degrees!

Fiesta
QLD, 122 posts
19 Nov 2013 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Yes I remember a very icy blast coming up the Derwent 1997, We went from a 1/2 ounce chute to a No3 and a reef in about 15 minutes! Also had snow on Mt Wellington, this is on New Years eve!

brizzydave
406 posts
19 Nov 2013 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

What a lovely looking vessel. Beautiful....

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
20 Nov 2013 12:34AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dave

Thanks for that

I think she is a nice looking boat (in a tradition way) as well in and out of the water and she sails quite nicely too

On the weekend the Huon club decided to get all of us who crew on other people's boats (wreck their gear instead of our own) in the racing season to race our own boats around the bay with the normal top skippers from the race boats as crew

We had a heap of fun and it was as competitive as the normal races we sail in

In the races I came in second (about a minute behind over a 35 minute course) to a Catalina 309 that is only a couple of years old, about 4 foot longer and around 2 ton lighter than Aqua Fae so I was pretty happy with how she went

When I bought this boat I was kind of regretting the decision to go up to a larger boat than the Spacesailer 20 (that I still have) but the more time I spend on her the more I am glad we bought her

Regards Don

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Sailmaster 845" started by Donk107