Forums > Sailing General

Sydney Hobart 2012 - "This Way Up" the movie!

Created by Poodle > 9 months ago, 29 Jan 2013
Poodle
WA, 866 posts
29 Jan 2013 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

I know you have been gagging to hear what happened in S2H this year! “This Way Up” both did a fine job smashing her way south to Hobart. We managed to cross the line in 4 days, 4 hours & 44 minutes, 56/77 boats. Not a bad effort for 7 crew all first timers, in one of the smallest boats in the fleet.

It was on the nose most of the way, and we got absolutely smashed across Bass Strait – No.4 & two reefs for two days. You feel very insignificant & isolated in the middle of Bass Strait on a 36” boat. I heard a few of the other small boats had the storm sails out – Just another typical Bass Strait crossing??? Third night out the rudder bearing failed (again!) which resulted in us getting pretty heavy flooding, eventually knocking out all our electrics. We managed to find our way to Hobart the last few days with a hand held GPS, and still made every sked using sat phone.

Hobart welcome was fantastic. Thankyou all for your messages of support, and great to see you following in the seabreeze thread!

We replaced the lower rudder bearing (again) in Hobart. Two days out on the way back to Geelong the boys threw a prop blade, so no choice but to sail back to Hobart. That scuppered Geelong Week & SA. New prop should be fitted this week, plan now is to lay TWU up in Hobart for a bit, and then look at doing some more stuff along the east coast later in the year. Stay tuned for details.

As always, we prefer pictures to words, link below to how we did it, link below......

Poods

Poodle
WA, 866 posts
29 Jan 2013 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Sydney to Hobart 2012 - "This Way Up"

byf
WA, 512 posts
29 Jan 2013 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant Poodle. Well done to you guys. Great footage. Great music. Cheers.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
29 Jan 2013 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Top effort to all involved !! The team TWU should be super proud of their achievement !

And thanks for the film.

Its a pity about missing geelong but " what will be will be " as they say in the classics .

Regards S&S

Supersonic27
NSW, 235 posts
29 Jan 2013 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Great little vid thanks for posting it. Good boat to do a s2h on!

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
29 Jan 2013 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

looks fun!

Disralei
NSW, 127 posts
29 Jan 2013 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Poodle

Bloody Brilliant effort by you, the Lad's and "This Way Up" We are all so proud of you rogues, well done.

cisco
QLD, 12324 posts
30 Jan 2013 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

Mr. Dooma is the mascot eh??

Well Poods, if you are considering a Bris to Gladdy this Easter and need a chief cook, bottle washer and navigator, let me know. I am known to excell when it comes to the challenge of cooking and eating better aboard than ashore. It is just a little thing of mine. I know the coast well too.

Also I promise not to shove Mr. Dooma down the dunny or in the cooking pot.

However I don't think I could compete with the little blonde gal that does French Toast to the tune of "We Didn't Start the Fire".

Top effort you guys did and deserve to be called "Incorrigibles".

Poodle
WA, 866 posts
30 Jan 2013 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Cisco,

Mr Duma down the dunny?? Maybe THAT's why the head was blocked on the second day The rough plan has us finishing at Hammo, stay tuned

slainte
QLD, 2246 posts
30 Jan 2013 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic Poods, keep em coming mate

Poodle
WA, 866 posts
2 Feb 2013 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

And for you S2H tragics, here is the complete start vid - All 40min of it! The actual "start" is at about 14min.

Poods

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
3 Feb 2013 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Good start Poods!

Good to see the STH start has horrendous bargers just like our club races !

All I could think about when you came on to the breeze at the last turning mark was ........

Ok let's just settle in for three or four days !!!!!!!!

Dont know how you did it ...!!!!!! MASSIVE EFFORT !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the vid !

Disralei
NSW, 127 posts
3 Feb 2013 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Poodle

Thank you for your S2H Start Vid, brilliant start, heart in your mouth stuff, great crew work, your an inspiration so keep up the good work.

cisco
QLD, 12324 posts
3 Feb 2013 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Great vid poods. She sure gets up and boogies.

I will save watching the 8 hour vid for another night when I am insomniac again.

Poodle
WA, 866 posts
4 Feb 2013 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Glad you like the vids. How long can I keep this self promo rolling..??

crustysailor
VIC, 869 posts
4 Feb 2013 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

So what's next on the bucket list?
VOR or Atlantic rally?
3 Peaks maybe

Disralei
NSW, 127 posts
4 Feb 2013 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Poodle, just keep filming you Bastard. Who else is going to entertain me, Cisco is yet to make a film clip though I think the old sea dog should...? Bugger there must be some sea skeletons in his closet...?

cisco
QLD, 12324 posts
5 Feb 2013 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

The skeleton is me!!

Poodle
WA, 866 posts
5 Feb 2013 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Cisco reminds of another good mate of mine, "The Prince", and I reckon he looks something like the guy in the middle....

cisco
QLD, 12324 posts
5 Feb 2013 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Get your hand and foot off my teeth or I will shut my mouth.

Poodle
WA, 866 posts
6 Feb 2013 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...
Get your hand and foot off my teeth or I will shut my mouth.

Hey Cisco - Can you identify where this photo was taken..???

Hint: closer to you than me!

Poods

PS: "nice" photos of the flood damage. You have to sympathise with a trawler owner that recovers hit boat in the middle of the town street.

Charriot
QLD, 880 posts
6 Feb 2013 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

My guess, Great Keppel.
Did U take Cat from Rosslyn Bay? perhaps U sail ?

Poodle
WA, 866 posts
6 Feb 2013 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Charriot said...
My guess, Great Keppel.
Did U take Cat from Rosslyn Bay? perhaps U sail ?

Correct! Taken about 3-4 years ago, out front of the mothballed resort. We were delivering a cat southward down the Qld coast, and got "wrecked" there for 3 or 4 days while the breeze howled form the south! Great few days!!

Poods

cisco
QLD, 12324 posts
7 Feb 2013 12:44AM
Thumbs Up

I was going to say somewhere in Hervey Bay where Vic Hislop had his shark world.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Sydney Hobart 2012 - "This Way Up" the movie!" started by Poodle