Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
byf
WA, 514 posts
11 Aug 2013 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Ha funny **** sctpc. Great story.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
11 Aug 2013 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Score one for the good guys !

Installed the VHF, fitted antennae and Marine Rescue Solander read me 'Loud & Clear'.

One happy chappy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
12 Aug 2013 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Removed the tiller off the clansman on Saturday to sand it down and re-varnish, regretted taking it off on Sunday when the weather was the best we have had for quite a while. Meanwhile the tiller is looking great, first layer of varnish on, photos to come when finished.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
12 Aug 2013 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Got notification from the RMS that I am next in line for a mooring in Burraneer Bay, Port Hacking. Hopefully a few weeks will see it done.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
12 Aug 2013 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Drank more beer and admired my handy work..... My $22k bargain cheap boat that I spent close to $60k on!!!!! Might have to go sailing !!

Actually 5 years on more like $100k

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
12 Aug 2013 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

WOW ! More photos please. Looks really cool.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
12 Aug 2013 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Just blood sweat and beers and $$$! And this can be yours too!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
12 Aug 2013 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

How's about 5 years ago I did this? Haha

southace
SA, 4776 posts
12 Aug 2013 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

And this and this!

brizzydave
406 posts
14 Aug 2013 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

@ south ace....being a fairly poor cash strapped bogan....I would have been really happy ( sad me!..he he) with the boat before you did the renovation work. Sorta had that old nautical feel about it my missus really hates. Think I've seen so many dark smelly brown wooden corroded brass stained cushion interiors I have gotten used to them. I better sort myself out...just quietly....

southace
SA, 4776 posts
14 Aug 2013 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry ! I kinda know what your saying....I have seen it all.... But when sh#t needs to work I want it to work.(most of the times)..... and a hot shower and plush cushions and a working toilet, And a soft bed! And a diesel that starts! ...life is short! Follow your dreams !....And besides that's what the female species wants to keep them happy.
And being the cash strapped bogen myself and if I put to sea with what I had, I most properly needed a rescue by now....haha

slainte
QLD, 2246 posts
14 Aug 2013 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Bloody awesome Ace. That is something to be really proud of.

Disralei
NSW, 127 posts
14 Aug 2013 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Ace, your a freak

I bet the cost to refit was only 50k the rest was for beer...?

southace
SA, 4776 posts
14 Aug 2013 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Oh come on really I don't drink that much ice cold beer especially now I'm in the warm tropics!

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
15 Aug 2013 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Keep a good eye on that stainless muffler/mixing box.
Stainless does not stand up to hot salt water mixed with exhaust gasses.
I had one similar that rotted out and I ended up just having a stainless mixing elbow feeding straight into rubber exhaust hose with no water trap. That worked for my yacht but may not suit other configurations.

Excellent job on the yacht otherwise.

Select to expand quote
southace said..

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
17 Aug 2013 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Firstly, let me say great thread, thanks boatin for kicking it off.
Today was getting rid of the rust stains of my stainless steel rudder stock. Prior to this, it had been untouched for 2-3 years, so it looked pretty awful. It had that tea-stain look all over the stainless, and I initially attempted to clean it by:
1) Warm water and mild detergent. Fail.
2) White vinegar. Fail

So I did a bit more research and took a punt on Septone Rust Converter (phosphoric acid), mainly as Supercheap was open and had it on the shelf.
I applied it with a soft paint brush, left for 15 mins, then wiped it off with a damp rag, then wiped it over with metho on a rag. Did this half a dozen times, and amazingly it worked very well.
It is not perfect yet, but I wish I had of taken a before shot, it is amazing the difference it made.
While I as waiting , I sanded back the wooden tiller and started applying some marine varnish. I thought the end product was pretty good, that is till I saw what Southace is doing !!!
SB

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
22 Aug 2013 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Sanded and varnished the cockpit timber and then painted the fridge and kitchen timber prep areas tommorrow the deck rust prep work will be started. the end of the week sailing in the Cumberland Group Islands which one to stay I don't know yet maybe Scawfel island

rynot55
NSW, 18 posts
22 Aug 2013 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Well deserved drinks.......but after snapping a raw water fitting on my engine and not being able to track down why my batteries are going flat!! Made the red, cheese and bickies taste even better though

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
24 Aug 2013 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Went and pottered for an hour or so, absolutely beautiful day.

Unfortunately too early for the cheese and biccies and a glass of red.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
24 Aug 2013 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Who stops at only a glass?

brizzydave
406 posts
25 Aug 2013 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Got everything ready for the MAIDEN Voyage....hurrah!!!....
Big time stuff!!

Put sails on, eskies, loads of crap and paraphernalia that women seem to need that doubles boat weight....
The boat left its little pen for the first time in years.

Fast forward five minutes.......David is over the side up to his neck in water and knees in mud pushing boat off mud bank.
Channel markers never been moved in years. Channel about thirty meters to the north.

Got back to the pen/jetty. Due to the tide going out...the boat didn't want to go back into its pen. The creek totally dries out at low tide. Kill me now...stress levels at maximum.

Used main halyard winch to pull boat in. What a farked up day.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
25 Aug 2013 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

You should have checked your horoscope before you set out !!!!!!

It probably would have said something like this

'If you go out in the boat today,

You're in for a big surprise'

Apart from all that you probably learnt a little bit !!!

brizzydave
406 posts
25 Aug 2013 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

I'm a practical chap. Nothings too hard, no need to stress out and I''ve been doing martial arts n stuff for years. Nothing rattles my cage really. Yesterday rattled my cage. And I think I was becoming quite annoying to those around me. So I had to pull my head in and say " I learnt something today and I will go forward from here" so you are dead right boatin. Your remark was spot on mate.

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
26 Aug 2013 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Started the motor on sunday morning so i could bring the boat into the jetty to use some power tools and the usual stream of water was absent from the exhaust. Checked the filter, all looked ok, thought the water pump impeller might be nackered. Took the hot water pipe off the exhaust elbow and started the motor, a steady stream of water came out, so i found my culprit. Removed the exhaust elbow and the hole where the water comes in to cool the exhaust is all gunked up with soot and crust.
Anyone know best way to clean it up.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
26 Aug 2013 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Is it that small threaded portion on the left of the picture? Perhaps a small drill bit to clean out most of it then a run a tap down the threads.

Or maybe try to burn it out with a blow torch.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
27 Aug 2013 1:47AM
Thumbs Up

Tap the mixing elbow with a 1/2 lb hammer to make sure it still rings.

If it don't ring the guts of the metal has been leeched out it, it has become porous and brittle and will fail soon.

It would be quite simple to fabricate another mixing elbow from stainless plate and a s/s elbow with a water injection point welded in pointing in the direction of flow.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
27 Aug 2013 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

This section on most engines is made from cast iron and is sacrificial. Clean it out with an old screw driver and check whether you can drive the screw driver though the side, As Cisco mentioned there is sometimes not much steel left. Looks like an easy bit to make in SS.

This is caused by the engine idling for long periods with no load. When you flash up the iron topsail, run it at about 80% in gear.

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
27 Aug 2013 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thx for the advice, I will tap with hammer and see if solid or not.
This is the only part that was'nt replaced when I got the fully reconditioned motor, and in fact just after I had the motor installed the T piece that used to tap off some water before it got to the elbow clogged and I bypassed that.
What would it roughly cost to have it fabricated in SS.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
27 Aug 2013 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

This section on most engines is made from cast iron and is sacrificial.

It is replaceable, that's not the same as sacrificial.

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
Clean it out with an old screw driver and check whether you can drive the screw driver though the side, As Cisco mentioned there is sometimes not much steel left. Looks like an easy bit to make in SS.

This is caused by the engine idling for long periods with no load. When you flash up the iron topsail, run it at about 80% in gear.

Never leave a diesel idling for long periods of time with no load on it, you will glaze the bores and have oil consumption problems.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
31 Aug 2013 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Not on Pisco Sour today but I got stuck into finishing the tender. I am next on the list for a mooring in Burraneer Bay and until I finish the tender I have no way of reaching the mooring. Hopefully I will have it finished when the mooring is dropped in.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin