Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
1 Sep 2013 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Got the keel & deadwood trial fitted today.

IanKJ
3 posts
2 Sep 2013 1:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fiesta said..

"Ahoy Boatin, still waiting for the 'stanchion/wharf' story"

My guess is the score finished : wharf 1, stanchion 0

I speak from experience.....

Stanchion 1

IanKJ
3 posts
2 Sep 2013 1:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
spongeblob said..

The Hoods seem to be a good old boat. The Holdens of Sydney Harbour ....Took a couple of photos, will post tomorrow. (need a driver for the PC)

This is not Hood - but Hoods?

southace
SA, 4762 posts
4 Sep 2013 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

5 years with out a polish I thought it was time.....2 down 1 to go!

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
4 Sep 2013 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Southace they are coming up really nicely. I have a mechanic coming to have a look at my Yanmar tomorrow and while i am on the boat I am going to remove the metho stove for a good polish.

Fiesta
QLD, 122 posts
4 Sep 2013 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Boatin,

Does your pram dinghy fit on the foredeck? If so, Im interested in which design the dinghy is. Nice neat job on taping the seams by the way.
Thanks

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
5 Sep 2013 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Fiesta,

Not sure but I hope so. Funny but I hadn't thought about that 'til the other day. My concern up to then was that it would fit in my VW Transporter (which it should do comfortably) so I could get to the mooring. The dingy is a Catspaw 8 from B & B Yachts in he USA.

bandbyachtdesigns.com/

Regards

Boatin

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
6 Sep 2013 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

I have built a lot of dinghies over the years, usually for work. The last one I built was tailor made to fit in the back of a Falcon station wagon with the back seats down. Stitch and glue and similar to the one above. The trouble with boats this short is they can be a pain to row. I added a stringer outside on each side half way to the chine and built it up at the rear to give more keel area. On the rear of each stringer I added a SS bracket with a plastic wheel. The wheel acted as a keel extension while I was rowing and I had a SS handle bolted across the middle of the bow. Ashore I used the boat like a wheelbarrow. It was light enough for me to carry with the front thwart on my shoulder but for short distances only.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
7 Sep 2013 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

This is the last clear coat before the white paint tomorrow.

brizzydave
406 posts
7 Sep 2013 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Looks awesome boatin.
I've been looking for one on eBay n gumtree and the marinas for a while and cant find one, let alone what I want.

Tossed up about making one...so I'll have a new dinghy in the style I require but am put off by the whole " it'll cost more to make one than to buy one etc and take a bit of time"

Is that only for hopeless people that aren't good at making things?

brizzydave
406 posts
7 Sep 2013 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

That sounded a bit rude....I meant it in a practical sense. Yunno what I mean

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
7 Sep 2013 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah yeah Dave, we know what you mean. You're a plumber now go and make one out of lead, after all isn't that where the name plumber comes from, plumbum, Latin for "maker of fine heavy boats"

brizzydave
406 posts
7 Sep 2013 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Good part is....Its all soft so I can fold it up and put it in a suitcase. But I need a forlklift to move it.

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
8 Sep 2013 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

brizzydave said..

Looks awesome boatin.
I've been looking for one on eBay n gumtree and the marinas for a while and cant find one, let alone what I want.

Tossed up about making one...so I'll have a new dinghy in the style I require but am put off by the whole " it'll cost more to make one than to buy one etc and take a bit of time"

Is that only for hopeless people that aren't good at making things?

If I was not so lazy these days I would buy these moulds. I have seen these in the "Flesh" and they make a really good dinghy.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-beach/tinnies-dinghies/fibreglass-dinghy-molds/1025403948

Fiesta
QLD, 122 posts
8 Sep 2013 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Brizzydave,

Maybe this dinghy might be the go if you want something simple.

hvartial.kapsi.fi/dinghy1/simboii.htm

Its my next winters project........(It was to be this winter but sealing the cabin windows jumped the priority list). I can fit it on the foredeck when its too windy to tow it.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
8 Sep 2013 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Three coats of Off White Aquacote and next will be 3 coats of clear.

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
8 Sep 2013 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Might be better to spray the dinghy "Baby ****" brown. Make it patchy though and ensure you have a few prominent runs. Dinghies that look good get stolen!

brizzydave
406 posts
8 Sep 2013 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks fiesta

Yep looks nice in white.

Hay um....Where do you live boatin?....like...what address....like....exactly.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
8 Sep 2013 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

MaHaHa,

Thanks guys for the comments and just for the safety of everone it is guarded by my KILLER GUARD DOG

brizzydave
406 posts
9 Sep 2013 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Aww.....look at dat liddel white fuff ball!!

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
10 Sep 2013 12:50AM
Thumbs Up

Ramona said..

Well my dog hates little fluffy white dogs, and white rabbits and ducks. He also loves boats and dinghies and is inclined to board others when he gets a chance.
[URL=.html]

Strewth Ramona!! He looks like he has been 'round longer than you, and giving you the eyeball!!

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
10 Sep 2013 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

He is 8 1/2, just going a bit grey!

Coming back up the creek yesterday morning to the boat ramp a few yards from where that photo was taken. Dog was in that position when a red belly black snake swam across in front of the catamaran from the mangroves heading towards the wharves on the other side. I yelled to a couple of the locals there who splashed oars trying to get him to turn back. I rowed over and splashed him with my oars and the damn thing swam after me before turning back and headed off back to the mangroves. They swim extremely well! I knew there were lots of them in the area and the local residents always see them but it was the first time I had encountered one there. My mooring is a few yards out from this island which is well known for its snakes. I let my dog run along the shore several times a week so will have watch out as the weather warms up.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
11 Sep 2013 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

A baby brown, no thicker than your little finger and about 300mm long nipped my kelpie years ago and the Vet had to give him anti-venom.

Your fella has a good few years in him yet. Keep him away from the red bellies.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
11 Sep 2013 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

The good thing about Red Bellies is they are generally very shy and not aggressive, unlike a Brown which will actively chase you.

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
11 Sep 2013 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

The good thing about Red Bellies is they are generally very shy and not aggressive, unlike a Brown which will actively chase you.

This one was about 4 foot long and he chased after the catamaran, probably just wanted to get out of the water. They are quite common around the town and there have been plenty of bites.

Also been a few on the trawlers. Funniest thing I have seen is when one of the other fishermen pulled two fish boxes apart and found a red belly black in the bottom one. Boxes went everywhere! The boat was up on the slips at the time. Must have been in the box in his backyard, stacked other boxes on top with out seeing the snake.

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
13 Sep 2013 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

sailing back from Brampton Island a sea snake went for my boat they are fiesty critters.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
13 Sep 2013 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

I can't remember if it is "if you Brown snakes you won't have Red Bellies" or vice versa.

But I am sure the two species don't get on very well together !

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
13 Sep 2013 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

On a second thought Whiteout "are you trying to make us all jealous with the photo above. If you are you have done well !

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
14 Sep 2013 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

I have another one of the same area, I used to live in Pittwater and moor at Taylors Point. But now I have to settle for the Whitsundays. You should come up and have a sail sometime.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
14 Sep 2013 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

That is certainly on the agenda.

With those great photos you should post them on www.panoramio.com/

This is a free site and you can pin them in Google earth..

Worth a look.

JK

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin