Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
sctpc
VIC, 80 posts
3 Nov 2013 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

madmission yer thats why I run the cover over the tiller water is no good. I have a hole for the cable to exit and the pin and at the tiller end so if moisture gets in it has a chance to dry. I got the clear pvc from Bunnings $2 and sealed it to the canvas before sewing it.

MorningBird
NSW, 2654 posts
3 Nov 2013 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

The S&S34 was designed to maximise its rating under the rules of the day so the water line length is only about 24 ft but increases to about 27 at 20 or so degrees of heel.
I watch other yachts rounding up in gusts while the S&S heels a bit and accelerates. It holds full sail up to 20 kts relative wind, although it is hard pressed at that.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
12 Nov 2013 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

I have a slow leak from the shaft and I hope that this will be fixed on Thursday.

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
12 Nov 2013 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Prostate?

claverton
NSW, 165 posts
12 Nov 2013 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Could be Cowper's gland

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
12 Nov 2013 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

Personally I blame Boatin for this, it's his fault for not being clear as to what shaft he was on about. Cop that!

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
13 Nov 2013 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Very sexy thanks Boatin, Brizzydave will be all hot and bothered.

brizzydave
406 posts
12 Nov 2013 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hi spongy !! I got home today, (was a bit dirty) so I took a long hot one, then listened to some urethra Franklin and decided....vas difference? Then I "logged" on and saw this!! Gosh!!

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
14 Nov 2013 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

I found my seacock! I thought my handle on my seacock had rusted off, but my cock handle is detachable. detachable cock, handle.

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
14 Nov 2013 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

easy BrizzyD, easy

slainte
QLD, 2246 posts
14 Nov 2013 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SirJman said..

I found my seacock! I thought my handle on my seacock had rusted off, but my cock handle is detachable. detachable cock, handle.

I take it you have your hand on it now Sir J

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
16 Nov 2013 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Received the new gland for the prop shaft. Hopefully will be installed today. Also fitting an auto bilge pump. Peter the mechanic discovered the access into the area behind the motor.

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
18 Nov 2013 1:48AM
Thumbs Up

Varnished the rudder (swing) and tiller, getting real close to launch day.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
18 Nov 2013 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Boatin said..

Received the new gland for the prop shaft. Hopefully will be installed today. Also fitting an auto bilge pump. Peter the mechanic discovered the access into the area behind the motor.

I assume that is bronze not brass Boatin. They are a very good type of gland.

Can you tell us where you bought it??

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
19 Nov 2013 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Cisco I bought it from D h Porter. Cost about $260 including some gland packing and delivery. not sure if it is brass or bronze. I assumed it was brass.

www.dhporter.com.au/shaftseals.html

brizzydave
406 posts
19 Nov 2013 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

"Varnished the rudder (swing) and tiller, getting real close to launch day. "

Looks good blobby.

So ...you excited ? Everything in order?

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
19 Nov 2013 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Boatin said..

Cisco I bought it from D h Porter. Cost about $260 including some gland packing and delivery. not sure if it is brass or bronze. I assumed it was brass.

www.dhporter.com.au/shaftseals.html

Porter's only deal in top notch stuff.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
19 Nov 2013 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Spongeblob, how about some more photos and more of the launch off course ?

brizzydave
406 posts
19 Nov 2013 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah!! I'm excited!!

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
20 Nov 2013 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Painted the passageway ('crouchway') after prepping on Saturday and priming on Sunday. Hard to get things done with all that rain. Sunday was crazy; primer fumes filling cabin so couldn't be there and outside the weather gods had the water canons out. Today was nice weather. Quite difficult painting such a long, low space without stuffing up what you've already tipped off.

Also dropped 2 big slabs of mattress foam to seamstress in Chinatown who's charging $50 per cushion regardless of size (basically because it's he same amount of edges). We have 10 cushions all up. We could be sleeping aboard this weekend if all goes to plan!

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
21 Nov 2013 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Cut a hole in the drinking water tank for an inspection hatch.
What a mission, went through 3 drill bits and 2 hacksaw blades and the noise was terrible!

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
22 Nov 2013 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday we got the new Gland Bearing installed as well as the Rule 500 GPH auto Bilge Pump. Time to stop spending for a while and go sailing.

brizzydave
406 posts
23 Nov 2013 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

My deck is very old and there were more stress cracks than good areas due to no strength in wet core etc. Cut a lot of them out during renovations and a lot of them stayed. Thick layer of two pack epoxy was laid, after a few outings, hairline cracks re appeared in areas of two pack but not areas of emer clad. Doing whole deck in emerclad now with foam roller to water proof and stop the catch 22 water ingress happening again. Sad story but all old boats the same. I installed extra large backing plates for the lower aft shrouds and will stiffen up the area with large cores of epoxy to maintain the laminate structure. It's built in a light fashion and I'm doing everything to turn it into a tank. Which is fine by me. I can get the emer clad to lay flat like eggshell finish with foam roller which makes is acceptable. Then stipple up the non skid areas with a heavy coat. Gotta love emer clad. Really annoying the whole old boat thing. Where do you stop? As long as you enjoy and it gives life meaning I guess.

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
23 Nov 2013 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

BrizzyD, I thought the original job you did on the deck was outstanding,
after having one I know the amount of work you put in. sorry you've had problems.
Nearly finished mine except I don't know where the finish line is...

Boatin, on your mooring yet ?
Happy to hear your gland problem cleared up. I bought a Rule 350 pump (float switch next pay day) stunning and inexpensive
units, hoping I never have to use it.
Will push my little bugger outside and take some pics the next sunny day we have down here.

brett221
QLD, 128 posts
23 Nov 2013 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Today once the sun came out finally got the final peices onto the 2 Contenders. Now have to pick one to go sailing on tomorrow and string it up.

brizzydave
406 posts
23 Nov 2013 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

Oh god that boat is shiny. I'd have mud all over that in no time.

brizzydave
406 posts
23 Nov 2013 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks spongey. Ah well. She's all good. I'll get there. Silly silk purses in my mind......

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
23 Nov 2013 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Looking at the forecast I would suggest the rescue orange one!

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
23 Nov 2013 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

without the mast

southace
SA, 4762 posts
24 Nov 2013 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Sick a flex amazing stuff!

Took the screws out of the head door for my annual de-mould and clean.....door still hanging on and it feels a fight to remove....next job!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin