Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Sunseeker39
WA, 71 posts
24 Nov 2013 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Got sick of sponging out the whole forward bilge area after changing the log in and out.
Bought a plastic sink from whitworths, bored out the drain hole and sika'ed in.
Next step wire in a bilge pump.

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
25 Nov 2013 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Now I wonder why anybody would still be using a log like yours Sunseeka.

I removed mine years age and here's why.

I was sailing south off Smoky Cape NSW one September when I found that I had lost steerage way

Only had a very light wind and then I noticed that the GPS was recording 4 knots

I had to start the nanni to get some steerage way until the wind picked up!

If I had been relying on a log it would have only been registering in that 4 knot southerly current.

Had a clean up onboard the other day and finally removed that other bit of gear associated with a log,
my old plastic Davis sextant, brought in 1977 and never ever used!

And before anybody says it, I've got two GPS's onboard.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
25 Nov 2013 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

I have 3 GPS and my log has not been removed in 2 years!

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
25 Nov 2013 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

I had a Brisbane 'Gregorys' !
Lent it to Brizzydave and he dropped it overboard.

Fiesta
QLD, 122 posts
25 Nov 2013 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

I raced on a Cole 37 with an impeller log like the above and it was awesome pulling it out to clear the impeller at some stupid time of night. Thats when you really know if you get sea sick....Fidling around with threaded connections in the bilge while the boat dumps over a few waves.

I really never got comfortable with the 3 foot water spout that came up before you got the cap on. Add an extra 1/2 foot if the boat was under chute....Don't cross the @%^&$ thread.....Of course the impeller was fouled from the bluebottles which added extra dimension to the experience......

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
25 Nov 2013 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

That type of log is the only real way of getting an accurate speed through the water. Ideal on a racing yacht.

That being said mine resides in the bilge!

MorningBird
NSW, 2654 posts
25 Nov 2013 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

I use mine. It has a temperature sensor so I know when I'm in the east Australia current, the temperature goes from 21/22 to 25/26. Speed is useless unless racing.

frant
VIC, 1230 posts
25 Nov 2013 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Afraid you have to have both a log (speed through the water) and a GPS (speed over ground) if you want to do any serious navigation/racing/cruising. Without both you cannot determine what speed or direction the current is. Most of the worlds oceans are moving at a minimum of 2 knots ie approx 25-30% of boatspeed. that makes a hell of a lot of difference to transit times if you couple weather (wind) and current gribs for passage planning.Just ask a pilot how he would feel about landing a plane with only SOG and no airspeed.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
25 Nov 2013 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

If my cruise speed Is 5.5 knots over the gound and I'm only doing 4.5 at the same rpm guess what current I'm pushing? Or if my cruise speed over the ground is 5.5 but I'm doing 7.5knots guess what speed the current is ? My ETAs have all ways been within 10 minutes on most of my passages in the past 5 years 8,000 Nm total including under sail when the wind is constant.

brizzydave
406 posts
25 Nov 2013 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
spongeblob said..
I had a Brisbane 'Gregorys' ! Lent it to Brizzydave and he dropped it overboard.

Thought you said I had to tie a string to it and chuck it over and count the knots I'd tied. What was the hour glass you sent for?

I need guitars on my boat too. Might go buy a cat Stevens cd. You got cat Stevens Southace?

Sunseeker39
WA, 71 posts
25 Nov 2013 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..

Now I wonder why anybody would still be using a log like yours Sunseeka.
I removed mine years age.

For racing.
Though I have a helm mounted gps as well.
If your in a current then you need to know about it.
If the Gps over ground and the log disagree its time to think about currents and how it could be affecting
your vector.
Also mast mounted Tacktic maxi's are difficult to wire up to a gps but
are designed to run off a log.
The crew need some means of gross error checking some of their decisions.
They can see the mast tackticks not my gps.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
26 Nov 2013 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

When I was young and raced my TS16 we had no such info just other boats, telltales and feeling if the boat was sailing fast or slow! I always most of the time came first or second as there where only 2 TS in our fleet.

I use the guitars to check cross track error while on a heading towards an island if I play 2 songs and my heading has changed since my last check I know I would have 1 Nm of cross track error! It most of the time works as then I would play 1 more song and I would clear the island by 1.5 Nm ......haha

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
26 Nov 2013 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

I use a late 80's Roland 808 analogue drum machine for a depth gauge/ fish finder.
Like mum always said
'To pull a successful armed rob take a Martin acoustic'. (true story)

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
26 Nov 2013 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
spongeblob said..

I use a late 80's Roland 808 analogue drum machine for a depth gauge/ fish finder.
Like mum always said
'To pull a successful armed rob take a Martin acoustic'. (true story)

Im a fan of the old Roland analogue gear, I have an SH-2 mono bass synth.
Great sound.
What you use your 808 for ? other than fishing that is.

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
27 Nov 2013 2:58AM
Thumbs Up

Keensailor;
I've had commercial recording/rehearsal studios in the 80's/90's, (as well as playing in bands since 1976)
Not only does the old Roland stuff sound great to tape (and user friendly), there also heavy enough to extract invoice payment
from the occasional not so forth coming "musician" (so called).
You in Sydney mate ????
Dale

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
27 Nov 2013 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fiesta said..

I really never got comfortable with the 3 foot water spout that came up before you got the cap on. Add an extra 1/2 foot if the boat was under chute....Don't cross the @%^&$ thread.....Of course the impeller was fouled from the bluebottles which added extra dimension to the experience......

My Top Hat had one of those and the first time I went up on a slip it came out and the 3" hole was glassed up!!

brizzydave
406 posts
27 Nov 2013 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone famous in your recording studio spongedale?
I love music. Bit of a tragic. Respect to you sir!

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
28 Nov 2013 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
spongeblob said..

Keensailor;
I've had commercial recording/rehearsal studios in the 80's/90's, (as well as playing in bands since 1976)
Not only does the old Roland stuff sound great to tape (and user friendly), there also heavy enough to extract invoice payment
from the occasional not so forth coming "musician" (so called).
You in Sydney mate ????
Dale

yes, live in Marrickville

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
28 Nov 2013 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

Wife and kids school in Marrickville, tis the only place to be scene.
Not much boating sadly,
Cooks river is a killer.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
1 Dec 2013 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Partly installed one of the new pushpit seats I made.

And installed what I like to call 'Heaven'...

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
2 Dec 2013 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
2 Dec 2013 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry, iPad not playing nice; will post Heaven later.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
2 Dec 2013 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
2 Dec 2013 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Arhhh hammock, good idea. Looks like your mooring line is ready to pop off though.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
2 Dec 2013 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Don't stress me, Jman - I'm snoozing. .

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
2 Dec 2013 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

[URL=.html] [/URL]

When I came back from sailing yesterday and was tidying up and glanced across at one of my neighbours boat. This expensive 65 footer was hanging off it's bouy line! The loop had jumped off the large cleat and all that was holding it was this line, fortunately Spectra core and one and half turns on the other cleat. Bit of a struggle pulling this boat in against wind and tide! The line had some wear where it rubs on the anchor so it did not just happen. I secure my riser over the bollard with 10mm rope to stop it jumping off. This is in an estuary/river where the tide is often against the wind and sometimes seriously large waves.

DrRog that looks like a disaster waiting to happen!

brizzydave
406 posts
2 Dec 2013 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Heaven is when we are sailing along and the missus gets her kit off.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
3 Dec 2013 1:24AM
Thumbs Up

Ramona said..

[URL=.html]

When I came back from sailing yesterday and was tidying up and glanced across at one of my neighbours boat. This expensive 65 footer was hanging off it's bouy line! The loop had jumped off the large cleat and all that was holding it was this line, fortunately Spectra core and one and half turns on the other cleat. Bit of a struggle pulling this boat in against wind and tide! The line had some wear where it rubs on the anchor so it did not just happen. I secure my riser over the bollard with 10mm rope to stop it jumping off. This is in an estuary/river where the tide is often against the wind and sometimes seriously large waves.

DrRog that looks like a disaster waiting to happen!

That is a classic pic!! Moored on a fishing line!!!

You are forever the duteous seaman Ramona and your blood is worth bottling.

Ramona
NSW, 7477 posts
3 Dec 2013 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

The owner is a circumnavigator. We have probably all read his articles in sailing magazines, usually about cruising with a young family or cruising a racing yacht. The old yacht was a 55 foot racer. This is a 65 footer imported from the US, one of those cheap boats from the West coast, about $500,000 sort of cheap!

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
3 Dec 2013 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

3 metres of spectra, priceless.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin