Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
5 Dec 2013 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your concern but it's just a mooring I borrowed for lunch. Wouldn't fit over the cleat, consistent breeze holding me on and crew around to yell. I also secure my mooring line with another line so it won't pop off.

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
5 Dec 2013 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..
Thanks for your concern but it's just a mooring I borrowed for lunch. Wouldn't fit over the cleat, consistent breeze holding me on and crew around to yell. I also secure my mooring line with another line so it won't pop off.

Good to hear! It's a little bit scary paddling around the moorings and seeing multiple boats just loosly hanging by their mooring lines.

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
5 Dec 2013 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Installed 2x60W solar panels on me clansman last weekend. Giving me 7-8 amps on a 25degC sunny day.

cisco
QLD, 12326 posts
6 Dec 2013 2:30AM
Thumbs Up

Nice pic. Lucky you.

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
8 Dec 2013 4:28AM
Thumbs Up

Finally cut a big enough hole in my stainless water tank to fit the access hatch.
Used a jig saw first, then had to widen hole by a few mm with angle grinder.
What a job, just drilling a 4mm hole can eat a few drill bits for breakfast.
Now I can clean 30 years of gunk out of the tank and refit.

cisco
QLD, 12326 posts
8 Dec 2013 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Spot on job keen.

For drilling stainless use a lubricant like Inox or Lanox, never let the drill run too fast and get overheated. It will blunten and soften the drill and harden the stainless.

Get a few of the double ended drills as used for riveting but get the ones with the gold coloured coating. I think it is a cadmium coating. Use these to drill a pilot hole for larger sized holes.

Another handy tool is a step drill for use on thinner material up to about 2 or 3 mm.

brizzydave
406 posts
8 Dec 2013 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

I installed two new cleats amongst what I think is the old spinnaker gear on either side of the cockpit. Now I run the Genoa sheets to there instead of the c track on the cabin roof. This will stop further cracking and stuff happening. Poor old boat !!

Fiesta
QLD, 122 posts
8 Dec 2013 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Took the boat out to one of the islands, anchored and gave the hull a bit of a clean up. 10 months after the antifoul and all the weedy bits came off at the brush of a sponge, the trip home was a bit quicker!

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
8 Dec 2013 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Today, wifey and I replaced all the lifelines and jackstays. Had corroded old, plastic coated (well, partially coated) 'deathlines'. Now have sparkling new ones! Took most of the day but was a relatively easy job as far as boat jobs go.

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
8 Dec 2013 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

I replaced my boats safety lines from plastic covered to non covered a couple of months ago. The only annoying thing is that it now catches and plucks the hairs off my head.

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
9 Dec 2013 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

Spot on job keen.

For drilling stainless use a lubricant like Inox or Lanox, never let the drill run too fast and get overheated. It will blunten and soften the drill and harden the stainless.

Get a few of the double ended drills as used for riveting but get the ones with the gold coloured coating. I think it is a cadmium coating. Use these to drill a pilot hole for larger sized holes.

Another handy tool is a step drill for use on thinner material up to about 2 or 3 mm.

cheers!

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
9 Dec 2013 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

finally installed the new loo !
must be time to go sailing !

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
9 Dec 2013 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Nice base plate,
Happy trails.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
9 Dec 2013 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

My wife made a new set of curtains to replace the original gold velvet ones

Fiesta
QLD, 122 posts
9 Dec 2013 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Nice job, No leopard skin print?

nswsailor
NSW, 1433 posts
9 Dec 2013 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Excellant Keen Sailor... my idea worked a charm!!!

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
9 Dec 2013 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

The originals were falling apart if you touched them

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
9 Dec 2013 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Here is a before and after

When i bought the new head (the old one had a broken lid and a seized leaking pump) i checked that the mounting footprint was the same and i assumed that the base would be also but it was a bit longer

I considered repositioning it off centre but there was not enough bum clearance or lifting it to clear the chamfer but in the end i decided to take to the liner with a die grinder to make it fit

I am going to seal around the hole but any water that goes down there runs into the bilge so it is probably not critical

I also didn't loop the waste pipe (to try to make it clear easier) but we make sure that the sea cocks are always closed unless we are using it

Regards Don

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
10 Dec 2013 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..

Excellant Keen Sailor... my idea worked a charm!!!

sure did!
that base plate is not going anywhere with Epiglue and 12 screws

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
15 Dec 2013 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Installed two new portlights. Six to go.

If you're looking for motivation to change out your old, crazed windows, check this...

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
16 Dec 2013 2:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..

Installed two new portlights. Six to go.

If you're looking for motivation to change out your old, crazed windows, check this...

wow! huge improvement.
did you use the that Dow automotive adhesive or just screwed them back in.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
16 Dec 2013 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

I'm going with the Dow and VBH tape screwless install as per www.thecoastalpassage.com/windows.html

It's tricky getting the right amount of goop in there; enough to fill the space but not too much that it runs over the tape. Tape is 12 mm. I made the overlap 28mm because I was going to do a goop-tape-goop seal, but it raises extra problems having goop on the inside seal so with the second window I put tape on inside edge next to aperture and (tried to) fill the next 14mm with goop. Close up you can see (I didn't paint the back of the acrylic black or anything) the white of the deck between lines of goop - not a great look, and perhaps not as secure. If I did it again I think I'd make the overlap about 20-22mm or double the tape as he did although the tape is more expensive.

Dezman
NSW, 818 posts
16 Dec 2013 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Painted the inside with flat acrylic, an easy job that's rewarding. It's great putting your boat on the market for motivation in getting those little jobs done, of course no one in their right mind would buy a boat, so at least she looks good back on the mooring for another year.

MorningBird
NSW, 2662 posts
17 Dec 2013 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Morning Bird is on the hard for the shaft/stern tube repair. Went up to her to remove an engine mount to free up the lower adjusting nut. One of the nuts wouldn't undo, just spun. BUGGER, it is on a bolt that goes into the bell housing.
The mount will have to stay in place and the recalcitrant nut on the mount freed up some other way.
Otherwise, the end of the stern tube has been cut off and the damage to the bulkhead is very minor. She will be water tight with the new stern tube and glass repair.
The shaft supported by two bearings will solve my previous shaft vibrations.
She will be back in the water in January and ready for my retirement summer.

Ramona
NSW, 7571 posts
17 Dec 2013 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Well I went sailing today. No surprise there but when I climbed aboard I found a dozen bottles of wine in the cockpit! From the little incident above.

MorningBird
NSW, 2662 posts
17 Dec 2013 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

I assume you will need a hand to drink them. I will be in the area sometime in January to offer my assitance.

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
17 Dec 2013 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

And I also in the spirit of xmas would be only to willing to assist.

Dezman
NSW, 818 posts
17 Dec 2013 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

I LET HER DOWN!!!...my lovely boat of eight years and countless miles and I let her down again, A trend that is happening to often. I had to turn around at the heads of port stephens today, my plan was to make Sydney for the fourth time and watch the fireworks. A good forecast and lockers full of food and wine, the boat was ready but I was not! MS has been dogging me for awhile and I just couldn't face a long sail.
Weak muscles, fatigue and other stuff was doing its best to take away the joy of sailing.
What did I do to my boat today?
I've poured my heart and soul into this mistress that's no equal to any other, these vessels are alive no doubt. I talk to her unashamely for we have traveled and explored the coast of this great island Australia. Found and pushed our way into every creek or river thats offered enough water to float in. Sheltered behind many a coral island or just a speck of rock nowhere on our adventure together.
Iv sailed through the night under a pale moon light, seen whales in my wake leap for joy at a moment of being alive out there, free.
I cast my eye over the sweet curve of the sails, checked the trim a million times. And yes Engine I love you too, even though we were parted for awhile once! A chance to test my sailing skills as I made my way along the coast without another means of drive.
Please old girl forgive me, iv given my best and now its time to sell! Oh what a dirty word that is 'SELL' my partner,friend and lover of the sea.
What did I do to my boat today?

brizzydave
406 posts
17 Dec 2013 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Thats a bloody beautiful sentiment right there sir. And we all feel it and know it. It was nice to read. Shored up my own feelings as a boat owner. Those magical nights of the moon glistening across the waves or perfect days neither cool nor hot, the boat sails like a bullet from a gun. Anyway....don't sell your boat, just get someone to accompany you. I have an apprentice at work and he's more than that, he's like a son. Takes a while to find that though. Don't sell the boat, just choose a good soul to do the hard stuff. While you enjoy the journeys. Don't give in to health, it can wear you down and it's only a state of mind. It will get you down if you let it. Fight!!!

brizzydave
406 posts
17 Dec 2013 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

By the way, I hurt myself and was out of the silly physical activity I do on the side. Limped around tired and messed up for a year. Changed my life . I got a glimpse of how sad things could get for people who might be battling something a bit more serious. It's very tough. Mentally challenging to the max.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin