NSW, 253 posts
6 Jun 2012 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Bump. Any reviews?

supa
NSW, 249 posts
6 Jun 2012 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

I've spent about 5 -6 hrs on the 12'6 hull ripper in the last few days, I've surfed it in head high reef waves to 1/2 foot high tide mush. This board will surf tiny waves that are only just breaking and will also handle a fairly steep take off. The 12'6 hull is so much fun when surfing off the tail and not like any other board I've paddled or surfed. I think it may be in my quiver for the long term.

If your after a board that you can take for a long paddle and surf waves when you reach your destination or along the way then this board is worth a try. I,m keen to give it a go in a short downwind run as I think surfing small runners on this board would be a blast. I don't think this board is built for winning races! It's more of a surfing board with great glide and stability that you could also use in a race for fun.

If anyone has tried this board on a downwind run I'd like to hear how it went?

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
6 Jun 2012 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks supa sounds like just what I'm after def need to give it a try...

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
6 Jun 2012 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

supa whats ur weight & how'd u rate the stability?

supa
NSW, 249 posts
7 Jun 2012 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

I'm 80 kg's and found it very stable even in choppy conditions.

Area10
1508 posts
7 Jun 2012 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone tried the 14ft version? Especially downwind.

How is this different from the PSH 12 gun? That is a pretty good paddler, and can catch a breath of air, surf-wise.

I use my PSH gun for exactly the situations described here - long paddles to a surf destination, or coastal cruising/surf hunting.

So is this a step-wise advance on the 12 gun, or a complete game-changer? If you already have a PSH 12 gun, would you still want one of these?

Thanks for any info.

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
7 Jun 2012 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

N8WX, I am 90kg and 6'1". No drama's with stability.
There is heaps of meat underneath your feet on this board.
All the bits that make a race board go fast - thick boxy rails running most of the length of the board, tend to hang you up in chop and on waves. The chine's of the hull allow the whole board to release quicker when initiating a turn and not catch as you drop in to a wave or cut back hard.

Area10, the 12' Gun was a big wave board that happened to have a lot of glide and paddle very nicely. The 12'6 Hull Ocean paddler is an ocean touring, down-wind board that happens to surf really well for its size.
12'6 Hull Ocean paddler has more glide than the Gun so will catch runners a lot easier.

No one here as ridden the 14' yet. It will be the board of choice for anyone over 90kg who is happy to trade manoeuvrability for increased glide.

We will have the 12'6 Hull Ocean paddler at the Snowy Comp at Manly this weekend for demo.

supa
NSW, 249 posts
9 Jun 2012 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

This is a hard board to put in a box, take one for a spin and then try and return it!

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
20 Jun 2012 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

We have had quite a few queries about the new PVC sandwich construction of the new Hull Ocean boards and the new PVC range coming in September

Basically it is a wrap of 3mm high density PVC (Divinycell) around the whole EPS foam core. The Divinycell is also used to strengthen around the fin boxes.

This toughens the board up and improves puncture resistance without adding weight to the board.

The 3mm of high density PVC also helps to stop water getting to the core if you get small cracks or dings in the skin which would normally suck water into the core.

To my knowledge, so far in production SUP's this construction has been limited to moulded boards from brands like Surftech and Boardworks.

The PSH PVC sandwich boards are Vacuum bagged which is a more labour intensive process as no moulds are used. The result is well worth the added durability, with no weight penalty. The 12'6 Hull Ocean paddler weighs 12.3kg bare.

The Vacuum bagging process also allows you to readily improve your board designs as you are not locked into moulds.

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
20 Jun 2012 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Its all rather confusing.......there's a 12'6 hull ocean paddler
a 12'6 hull paddler
a 12'6 hull ripper
maybe AA could interpret :)

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
20 Jun 2012 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Gizzie, same board, we call it the Hull Ocean Paddler.

Piros
QLD, 6996 posts
20 Jun 2012 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Wow that's a tough looking construction.

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
23 Jun 2012 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Demoed this board today and absolutely loved it looking at the bottom I was sure it would be tippy it felt a little at first then it just just felt right. The board paddled well into wind the glide was smooth and enjoyable. Managed to catch some very small waves and it surfed them fine and was loose enough once I found the correct back foot position. Felt like it could pick-up fatter shoulder waves with the right technique...

Now I own 1. Stoked. This is going to be a great all rounder for me small waves, cruising, racing, DW, tour, ocean, etc Believe the hype!!!

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
24 Jun 2012 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys is this the smallest hull ocean paddler , i am 70kgs would this suit ok , to surf for my wweight.

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
24 Jun 2012 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

green menace said...

Hi guys is this the smallest hull ocean paddler , i am 70kgs would this suit ok , to surf for my wweight.

you look much smaller than 70kg in your profile pic :)

supa
NSW, 249 posts
24 Jun 2012 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

At 70kg you will be able to surf a ripple on the 12'6, put a kick pad on it and surf from the tail and you will have a blast on this board, It's also a very good bop style board, punches through waves, stable, and because it urfs so well is a dream on the return leg to the beach.

Scotty88
4214 posts
24 Jun 2012 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

supa said...

At 70kg you will be able to surf a ripple on the 12'6, put a kick pad on it and surf from the tail and you will have a blast on this board, It's also a very good bop style board, punches through waves, stable, and because it urfs so well is a dream on the return leg to the beach.

Steve,
What weight do you think would be the limit on the 12'6 before going the 14' ?

supa
NSW, 249 posts
24 Jun 2012 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Scott, maybe 95-100 for tiny waves,for over the 100 the extra foam and length in the 14' may be better for downwinding and ripple chasing IMO.

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
24 Jun 2012 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

whats rrp 0f the mother? looks fun

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
24 Jun 2012 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

supa said...

Hi Scott, maybe 95-100 for tiny waves,for over the 100 the extra foam and length in the 14' may be better for downwinding and ripple chasing IMO.

I weigh just over 100kg and it's fine, very stable and catches small waves the glide is awesome could easily handle more kgs.

1 thing to note is the 14 I believe is single fin where as the 12'6 has a 5 fin set up (AA to confirm) so the 12'6 would be better for more surfing vs ocean...

Had the board out 2nd time today in ok surf was a blast for some reason I just feel like paddling everywhere on this board u just want to paddle it's so effortless even into the wind...

Took some late drops the board didn't nose dive and planed well in the wash. I'm hooked on this board was thinking it's the board you take out for the day and use in every condition so for small cars that's a bonus...

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
24 Jun 2012 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

Found this. Now thats cool for a 14!!!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
25 Jun 2012 1:21AM
Thumbs Up

That's a great vid.. Come on Blane.. Get that board over to Maui and get it on the Maliko run and show us what it can do on a down-winder.

DJ

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
25 Jun 2012 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

n8wx said...

C'mon Nathan you just gotta get out a little more, Paul, Wayne and I did that at Macauleys saturday morning, what seemed flat for an ocean paddle on the 14's ended up being a 7 kms paddle with 45 mins of waves on the 14's in the middle too much fun still smiling, sadly no go pros to record it

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
25 Jun 2012 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

So you were turning the 14 race boards like Blane in this vid? Nice1 Greg.

ShireSUP said...

n8wx said...

C'mon Nathan you just gotta get out a little more, Paul, Wayne and I did that at Macauleys saturday morning, what seemed flat for an ocean paddle on the 14's ended up being a 7 kms paddle with 45 mins of waves on the 14's in the middle too much fun still smiling, sadly no go pros to record it

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
25 Jun 2012 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

n8wx said...

So you were turning the 14 race boards like Blane in this vid? Nice1 Greg.

ShireSUP said...

n8wx said...

Hang on let me just check................well know, but my names not Blane and i have only been surfing for 12 months give me another weeek or 150 weeks or so...........

But Paul was, well almost

bigmc
NSW, 250 posts
25 Jun 2012 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hey N8n. Did you buy one? If so what is the chance of a look and a little paddle?

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
25 Jun 2012 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah bigmc sure did. Will try get some footage on the weekend if I get the chance...

bigmc said...

Hey N8n. Did you buy one? If so what is the chance of a look and a little paddle?

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
29 Jun 2012 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

14 vid looks fun too , wouldn't mind the 12'6 out on a good bombie , must be some serious pull on the leggy wiping out on that beast .🌊

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
9 Jul 2012 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Just found a new vid of Blane surfing on the 12'6

Such a fun board...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"12'6 PSH Hull Ocean paddler" started by AA