Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

12'6 Race - Board Weights

Created by HerbertVoigt > 9 months ago, 3 Nov 2011
HerbertVoigt
QLD, 155 posts
3 Nov 2011 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hi folks

I'm a long time listener/first time caller who is currently on the hunt for a 12'6 race board for BOP style races and the occasional downwinder.

I'm keen to get some advice on what sort of weight the race boards typically are. I understand that if a board is ultra light it will be an advantage although the durability will be limited. For those of us on the hunt for a second hand board I'm sure this is something worth knowing a bit about.

It also seems there might be some value in standardising the minimum weight for boards in each race class to ensure it's a level playing field and individuals who can afford to buy a new board more frequently don't have an advantage. Much in the same way most race craft have some type of weight spec.

Thanks for your feedback
Herb

DavidJohn
VIC, 17452 posts
3 Nov 2011 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Some guys in Hawaii are doing a 12'6" comparo this w/e and we might be doing one here as well including board weights.. Btw I don't think that super light boards are all that they're cracked up to be (parden the pun) because they might accelerate quicker.. they also slow down quicker.. I think there is a medium weight that works best.. If I was buying a race board IMO there are so many more important things besides the boards weight.

DJ

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
3 Nov 2011 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

...If I was buying a race board IMO there are so many more important things besides the boards weight....

DJ

Price among them. I'll find it hard to cough up an extra $500-800 or more for a carbon wrap to save a couple of kilos when I could shave that much from "the system" by not eating pies for a couple of weeks.

HerbertVoigt
QLD, 155 posts
4 Nov 2011 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Dave and HC for the initial feedback and I agree that the shape of the board will be the most important factor rather than half a kilo here or there in weight. From my experience racing ocean skis and also paddle boards the lighter the better in all conditions. Again this is provided the shape is good and the craft is not going to fold in half a few months after it has been bought.

I can see from the buy/sell section there is a 12'6 Lahui Kai that is advertised as 9.5 kg (finned and gripped) and so far this is the only real reference I've been able to find either in the used classifieds or even looking at the websites of manufacturers. Also as something to compare with the 12' clubbie paddle boards are made to a minimum weight of 8.6 kg (I think). There are some obvious differences but it provides some sort of reference.

If anyone has the chance to put their board on the scales (preferably not covered in sand and with the grip waterlogged) and share their feedback it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Again
Herb

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
4 Nov 2011 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

I think the carbon 12'6" production boards are around the 10-12 kg range. Anything below 10 kg is probably a prototype or a custom board. Those are the ones most likely to damage if you breath on them. Very thin carbon. The cheaper AST / glass construction boards are around 14-15 kg. That's a substantial difference, up to 4 kg. Certainly more weight than I can afford to lose.

I think there's enough for race organisers to worry about than having to weigh boards and disqualify people if their board is below some arbitrary value. The races we are all involved with are pretty social - we're not playing for sheep stations. But once you get to the level of competition where some form of scrutineering is feasible, the competitors are effectively sponsored and semi-pro if not full-on professional so the cost of boards is not an issue.

I say just race and enjoy yourself.

HerbertVoigt
QLD, 155 posts
4 Nov 2011 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Hi PT

Thanks for your feedback and it certainly gives anyone who is interested something to be guided by.

Also regarding standardising a weight spec I take onboard your views and agree that the last thing anyone would want is those who are giving their time to be tied down having to weigh craft when the events are being run on the goodwill and efforts of those who are committed to developing the sport . If a weight spec is ever established then one possible way to assist would be for manufacturers to provide some form of common decal that is glassed in during production that indicates the board is of an agreed length/weight spec. Again the sport is developing in leaps and bounds and it is just an idea to consider.

Cheers
Herb

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
4 Nov 2011 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

I think the carbon 12'6" production boards are around the 10-12 kg range. Anything below 10 kg is probably a prototype or a custom board. Those are the ones most likely to damage if you breath on them. Very thin carbon. The cheaper AST / glass construction boards are around 14-15 kg. That's a substantial difference, up to 4 kg. Certainly more weight than I can afford to lose.

I say just race and enjoy yourself.

Just for example, Naish site lists the 12'6 x 30 AST Glide at 14kg and the Carbon version at 13kg, for a $700 price premium (but you do get a nice bag and woody fin with the carbon model ). Maybe some small-sample bias there in my thinking, other makers' carbon construction surely brings bigger weight savings. I also accept that a 4kg difference to the system is going to be more material in PT's case than mine

All that said, in the interests of home-baked science here's what I just did with a 12'6 by 31.5 AST Starby race:

the sling weighs 260g . The scale is a cheap fisho thing from KMart but it's not more than 100g or so off the mark.

FWIW, this board's super stable and in demo on it I've pushed much lighter mates on their 12'6 white carbon fanatics (but I paddle more than they do). Andrew Hocking won Round 1 of the King of The Cerb in appalling conditions on this very board, so draw your own conclusions about board weight!

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
4 Nov 2011 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

The 14ft Suplove Stingray that I paddled for the Hawkesbury Classic came in at 9.6kg. Granted I wouldn't take this board near the ocean, but put it on the flat and it goes like a rocket!

Birchy
NSW, 56 posts
6 Nov 2011 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

HerbertVoigt said...

Also as something to compare with the 12' clubbie paddle boards are made to a minimum weight of 8.6 kg (I think). There are some obvious differences but it provides some sort of reference.

10'6" and 7.6kg

Gords
NSW, 69 posts
9 Nov 2011 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Herb
The Hobie 12'6 Race weighs in at 11.6 kgs. It is a full carbon production board that is fast and strong. Check out Dogman surfing it
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Dogmans-latest-126-Race-surf-video/?SearchTerms=Dogman
and there are also a few great shots of Danny Sheard in some big waves surfing.
The best you can do is get on as many boards as you can and try try try ..
Everyone has an opinion, you have to part with the cash and be happy.
Gordon

HerbertVoigt
QLD, 155 posts
10 Nov 2011 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Birchy and Gords

Thanks for the contributions. I have also been nosing around on the SIC website and while their moulded / semi-hollow constructions might differ from what we typically can purchase in oz and they don't appear to be designed to go in out and out through the surf for BOP style races. They had the following

Open water
Bullet 14' =13.6 kg & Bullet 17'4 = 14.5 kg

Flatwater
12'6 = 9.1 kg & X14' = 11.4 kg

Downwind
F14' = 11.8 kg, F16' = 12.7 kg & F18' = 14.5 kg

Again this is provided the online weight converter I used is correct (llbs > kgs) and just another reference for those that might be interested. I also agree that the “try before your buy" option is always useful.

The surfing footage on the Hobie is also some of the best I've seen so thanks for sharing.

cheers
Herb

HerbertVoigt
QLD, 155 posts
11 Nov 2011 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hey TL

I would have thought old Herbert Voigt was obscure enough to go undetected. It was either him or his half brother “Russell Coight”. Touch wood I don't end up the same with the same fate as Herbert.

Regards
Herb

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
12 Nov 2011 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

That's a funny tale !

This is for Herb. Enjoy.

HerbertVoigt
QLD, 155 posts
18 Nov 2011 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all

www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=13823.0

I think DJ mentioned the review earlier in the thread (you'll need to look 4 or 5 posts down for the results and open the link to the spreadsheet). While the boards are not the typical ones we can purchase locally it does provide a useful reference. I think these guys have also performed similar reviews for the 14' and unlimited classes as well for those who might be interested.

I expect this will likely be the final post in this thread so thanks to those who shared their views and advice.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
18 Nov 2011 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

There's a local 12'6" test awaiting publication - Naish vs Starboard vs Fanatic. 8 boards in total. Just waiting on our web master to upload the story and stats from the day.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
19 Nov 2011 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

i reckon 9 to 10 kgs is about right. light enough with out the stop dead if you stop paddling caper.

as a matter of interest, we glassed up my 14' dw board a bit because at 9.5 kgs with a volume 308 litres, it was just too lite.

it was just to lite for that amount of volume

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
19 Nov 2011 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

i reckon 9 to 10 kgs is about right. light enough with out the stop dead if you stop paddling caper.

Just a quick teaser before the test results get uploaded...

The Naish Glide and Javelin weighed around 13 kg and the skinny Fanatic and Starboard weighed in at around 11 - 12 kg.

The only board in our test to weigh 9 to 10 kg was the Coreban Alpha Race.

We also tested the 18 kg behemoth that Human Cartoon referred to above.

Guess which board was the slowest.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"12'6 Race - Board Weights" started by HerbertVoigt