Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

12'6 race board advice

Created by brusier > 9 months ago, 23 Jul 2011
brusier
192 posts
23 Jul 2011 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

My first post to the forums, Hello. I'm a keen paddler and enjoy those flat water days most. I have a starboard big easy and feel like need a more flat water type board.

I'm 105 kgs and I want to get a flat water race board. I'm an intermediate paddler and want it for training and maybe some races. I will never use it in the surf as I can use my big easy.

My options are a Bark competitor 12'6 or a Fanatic race 12'6 (the white one as I think I'm too heavy for the new red ones). I could stretch my budget to get a 14'

What would the forum recommend, I can get either constructions (partial carbon on the bark and carbon Fanatic) if you guys recommend them.

Cheers

Swanie
QLD, 1372 posts
23 Jul 2011 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

I think you will find the 12'6 Fanatic a great board. Think a lot about if your main goal is races though. IMO the 14' is a better option as a lifestyle board especially at 105kg. If you want to train, do some distance, even a downwinder then go the 14'.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
23 Jul 2011 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

The big wide 12'6" Fanatic is a great board.. Naish have a couple of new 12'6" boards (28" and 30" wide) next month and also Starboard have a new 12'6" coming.

Yesterday I checked out the new 12' NSP flat water board and it looked good.. I was going to paddle it today but ran out of time.. Maybe tomorrow.

Welcome to the Breeze..

DJ

standupper
387 posts
23 Jul 2011 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Either the Bark or Fanatic would be fine (The Fanatic maybe a bit more stable) but if you can afford it go for a 14' at your weight. I was about 97kg when I got my 12'6 Bark competitor and I love it but a couple of guys have tried it who were closer to 105kg+ and it sat significantly lower in the water and lost a bit of glide.

No matter what you get you are going to love the speed and glide of a race board.

Good luck

brusier
192 posts
24 Jul 2011 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the comments. I thought I was closer to 100 so was aiming for a 12'6 but after weighing myself I clocked in at 105 so I think a 14' might be better. The new fanatic 14 looks nice but as it is actually snowing today I think I have a least a couple of months to get organized.

Jack Mack
NSW, 343 posts
25 Jul 2011 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Check this vid.
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/126-Hobie-v-Bark-vid/
They're good
jason

YOB Australia
WA, 169 posts
25 Jul 2011 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Check out the Aquaglide Amundson 12'6" TR or TR-X. They are a tour/ race style board that is pretty new to the market. I'm 90 kgs and they still have plenty of bouyancy left ( 250 ltrs vol ). Which ever way you go, you're going to love the race style of board. Ahhh the glide, the glide ........

Savage1
NSW, 63 posts
25 Jul 2011 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

The Hobie Elite's are great performers and in my opinion one of the best looking boards out there at the moment.

They have two widths in the 12'6', the Elite Race and the wider Elite and also the Elite 14 footer.

Well worth a look.

Sav

brusier
192 posts
27 Jul 2011 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

I do like the Hobie but I don't think they sell them in New Zealand?

AmundAqua
QLD, 54 posts
5 Aug 2011 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Check this link for a 12'6"......

www.mensjournal.com/

bigmc
NSW, 244 posts
8 Aug 2011 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys What about the Coreban Alpha Race 12' 6". Any feedback on that board?

airsail
QLD, 1312 posts
8 Aug 2011 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

I have the Coreban Alpha 12'6 Alpha Race, carbon version. Nice board for what we want. light for the wife to carry around and very stable. Don't know about the speed as I have never paddled with anyone else to compare. Use it in the surf too, the advantage of a flat nose rather than a bow, great on small runner.

brusier
192 posts
26 Aug 2011 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

any news on new 2012 Naish glides. Anyone used a 12 6 or a 14.

Apparently they are in NZ on Monday.

Gords
NSW, 69 posts
4 Sep 2011 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

brusier said...

Hi
If you are still looking and you like the Hobie, it's not difficult to get one over to NZ for you.
PM me if you want some info or assistance as they are a great board and are well priced!

brusier
192 posts
4 Sep 2011 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Gords said...

brusier said...

Hi
If you are still looking and you like the Hobie, it's not difficult to get one over to NZ for you.
PM me if you want some info or assistance as they are a great board and are well priced!

done, thanks.

aussiewahine
QLD, 798 posts
5 Sep 2011 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Bruce,

I agree with some of the previous posts and would recommend you look at the Hobie's too. Either the 12'6" Elite (which is more suited to your weight) or the Hobie 14' if you can stretch your budget (and the stretch I believe is less than the cost of a good paddle).

I posted these pics of my husband on the Hobie 14' in the flat. He too is 100-105 kg's. Great boards for the type of paddling and level you're at.

Hope this helps some.

Sue

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
5 Sep 2011 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

For your weight I think a custom 12.6 is the only safe and appropriate way to go - otherwise seriously look at a 14' - maybe a Bark Dominator (insanely fast and stable board, and super light) or once again a custom.

brusier
192 posts
7 Sep 2011 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all of the awesome feedback. The hobie looks very nice.

All I have to do now is make up my mind......

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
7 Sep 2011 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Lay down Misere at your weight is the 12'6" Fanatic. Does everything well. Even can surf the buggers. Try and get the Carbon as they are insanely light and I've noticed a few going second hand. The Hobie Elite or Bark Dominator are clearly second but are more suited to specific purposes IMO, though the "Dogman" makes the Elite look like a shortboard. What does everyone say Demo, Demo, Demo!!

brusier
192 posts
11 Sep 2011 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Leroy13 said...

What does everyone say Demo, Demo, Demo!!

Where I live you can't demo a race board of any description.

I'm basing my thoughts on video footage, and other peoples ideas comments from similar sized paddlers.

Has anyone 105kgs tried a Surftech 14' Bark Dominator?

brusier
192 posts
1 Oct 2011 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

I ended up getting a Bark Dominator.

Wow.

Awesome board even for a old heavyweight like me. Balance not a problem and I had a great paddle for 60mins today in flat ish water.

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
1 Oct 2011 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone paddled a Jimmy Lewis Blade?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"12'6 race board advice" started by brusier