Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

12'6x25 vs 14x25 All Star, Same Same but different

Created by surf4fun > 9 months ago, 10 Jan 2013
surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
10 Jan 2013 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

So I have had my 14 x 25 All Star for a little while and have used it invarious conditions from complete flat to 25knt down wind with a 3 metre swell and it absolutely flies. Then got my 12'6 x 25 about a month ago so have had a good chance to paddle that in most conditions also.

Taking a step back I am am 5'10 and 72kg, do 75% of my paddling on flat water through training 3 times a week and during the summer get out for atleast 1 down winder a week.

First thing you notice when you see these 2 boards side by side is how different they are. The 12'6 is a lot thicker through the whole board and of particular notice in the nose and tail. Although the Starboard catalogue says that the 12'6 is 223L it actually has 271L printed on it.

This makes the boards perform very differently. As we train in a quite tide effected area I actually find that the 12'6 feels faster going into the tide as it seems to sit above the water more than the 14, a bit like the Ace.

12'6 nose

14 nose

Having down winded both board a few times they again have similarities and differences. The 14 sits lower in the water and is more like an arrow piercing through the water and carries it's glide more while also requiring more foot work to move back on the tail. While the 12'6 with the extra volume in the nose seems to act a bit more like the Ace and doesn't need as much foot work.

12'6 rail profile

14 rail profile

They both are quite turnable using foot pressure without having to step back over the fin to surf it. After a couple of initial down winders I decided to swap the stock fin out as I felt the tail was quite lose and sometimes lifted and felt like it wanted to overtake the nose.

The tails are also quite different, obviously the 12'6 with the more volume is designed more with BOP in mind and having surfed it a few times in knee-waist high waves it handles them really well.

Unlike other companies the 12'6 is not just a mini me of the 14. Two very differnt boards designed for two different types of paddling and at 25 wide very stable.

baddog
256 posts
10 Jan 2013 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the great review and info. I'm your weight and was looking at the 12'6" x 27.5, but maybe I should narrow up a bit. Really interesting about the volume and profile. I would have to guess that the volume on the 26" & 27.5" must be higher then listed as well?

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
10 Jan 2013 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

nice pussy!

mbuzz
NSW, 261 posts
10 Jan 2013 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mac said...
nice pussy!

Ha ha, you beat me to the punchline.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
10 Jan 2013 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

mbuzz said...
Scotty Mac said...
nice pussy!

Ha ha, you beat me to the punchline.

She's all yours, unwanted, unexpected, non asked for gift from the mother in law.

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
11 Jan 2013 5:25AM
Thumbs Up

Getting more pussy from your mother in law is usually unexpected.

I know, I know...I'm going straigth to hell for that one.
[}:)]

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
11 Jan 2013 6:35AM
Thumbs Up

baddog said...
Thanks for the great review and info. I'm your weight and was looking at the 12'6" x 27.5, but maybe I should narrow up a bit. Really interesting about the volume and profile. I would have to guess that the volume on the 26" & 27.5" must be higher then listed as well?

The volumes on the website for the 12'6 x 27.5 and the 12'6 x 26 are correct and they are much lower volume than the 25" model and more akin in shape to the 14x25 with the thinner and more pulled in tail and more piercing nose.

It appears that starboard have upped the volume and changed the shape to keep the stability when going narrower and the 25" wide 12'6 works a gem. Great to see them really putting effort into the differences into how the different width boards feel and perform and making changes to optimise each board rather than just scaling down one of the wider boards.

I'm super stoked with the 12'6x25" in all conditions!

baddog
256 posts
11 Jan 2013 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ali. Curious though... Does that mean the 26" might be less stable then the 25"? I'll probably go 27.5" anyway as I paddle for fun.

Nede
NSW, 38 posts
12 Jan 2013 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Ordered my new 14 x 26 allstar yesterday from Roar. Should arrive late next week. Just in time for the 12 towers race. Can't wait.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
13 Jan 2013 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Got a chance yesterday to paddle the 12'6 x25, x26 and x27 back to back yesterday. Very interesting to see the 25' is the only one with the extra volume while the 26' and 27' look like the 14.

I think if you are looking to DW a 12'6 then the 25 is the best option, while the 26 feels very quick and stable so could be a better bet if you are leaning towards BOP. While the 27 feels comfortable I think it would be better suited to someone 85kg+.

Argosi
66 posts
16 Jan 2013 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

Any thoughts on the differences between the 14x25 vs 14x26 All Star - for flat water speed as well as fun level on downwinders?

I'm planning to get one of these boards but not yet decided on which width.

baddog
256 posts
27 Jan 2013 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

I was able to Demo a few Carbon All Stars at Hanohano today. When I saw the 12'6" by 27.5" All Star, it looked like a squat pig next to the sleek and fast looking fourteens. It was first up and I was shocked at how stable this board was compared to the Race 12'6" x 27.5". It was stable period, pretty quick and has nice glide. My first impression was very wrong.

I tried the 14' x 27.5" next. This board seemed slower to me with a lot of wetted surface. This was the first 14 I have ever paddled, and I always assumed a 14 would just take off, but clearly this is not the case. It also made me realize I have no need for a 14. All the 14s had these massive Futures Triangle fins and they clearly caused a lot of drag. Definitely not a fin for flat water.

Next up was the 14' x 26". Stable and a bit quicker the 27.5", but I was still more impressed with the 12'6". Again it seemed like a lot of wetted surface drag. To be fair, all the boards were pre-production and this one had been damaged and was pretty flexy. All the rest were rock solid.

The last board I tried was the 14' x 25" Sprint. This board was much quicker then the rest and a lot less stable. A different board, so unfair to compare, but not the all rounder I am looking for.

At my weight, the big jump in speed I thought a 14 might provide is clearly wrong. It looks like the 12'6" x 26" is the board for me, although I would love to try the 12'6" x 25" and the 12'6" Sprints too.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
27 Jan 2013 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Baddog, I don't think the 12'6" Sprint is going to be the allrounder you are looking for either. You should try the Ace 14' boards - I suggest the 25". Get on one of those roosters and then you will feel a 14 just take off.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"12'6x25 vs 14x25 All Star, Same Same but different" started by surf4fun