Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2010 Lahui Kai 12'6" hollow moulded model

Created by dtm > 9 months ago, 6 Nov 2010
dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
6 Nov 2010 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys recently got myself a 12'6" lahui kai hollow moulded stand up just thought i do a quick reveiw .
First thoughts that come to mind when you see this board are bullet proof, the hollow constructions is super tough and really strong also the outline looks really nice with the pulled in nose and tail.
In flatwater the board is quite quick off the mark and has really good glide and the rocker is really flat so it slices through the surface with ease. The board is really stable and has really high rails which gives you plently of float. I did a long distance lake paddle and the board performed well and was comfortable , also when you step back it turns quite well around markers etc.
In the surf the board punches through white water well with the nose pushing up and over white wash with ease i havnt really tryed surfing it on a wave yet so not sure how well it would handle.
I did a couple of down winders in choppy tough conditions and the 12'6" performed ok was really good on the smaller runners as it picked these up with ease and hung onto them well, but on the lager steeper swells the flater rocker was a little hard work with a lot of skill involved to keep the nose up . Also the high rails made it a little unstable in the chop as my light arse 70 kgs didnt sink them at all, but once you turned and headed down wind the sup became much more stable.
The 12'6" is a good all round cruiser and great in flat water and in and out of the surf also moderate for down winding in big seas but a good well built board at a good price range . Special thanks to AA from Balmoral Paddle Surf for helping me out with this model
cheers Dan

JonWest
QLD, 105 posts
8 Nov 2010 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Great pictures Dan,

What weight is this board and what construction?

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
8 Nov 2010 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

For an Aussie made board, there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about Lahui Kai. Anyone paddled the new 14'?
What are others thoughts on these boards?

Lobes
885 posts
9 Nov 2010 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

I paddled the LK 14 recently at a demo day. Really liked it felt it had a lot of glide and robust construction. Its got a semi displacement nose so a bit wobbly if you're not used to it but the sunken deck helps and it has good secondary stability.

Comes in at a great price for what you get. I have just ordered one.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
9 Nov 2010 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dan,

I know AA mentioned a while ago he was getting a 14' for demo, did you or have you had a chance to ride that? If so are there any major differences in performance?

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
9 Nov 2010 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

The construction is a fiberglass hollow mould from what i no of it. Its really super tough and not too heavy at a guess would be in the 12 to 14 kg mark but that a total guess?
Yeah AA got a 14 footer i have seen it on the roof of this car alot! He likes it recons its really stable and has good glide, i have asked him for a demo but i havnt had one as yet im keen to test it out for sure.
I will try and weight it correctly and put up the weight when i can
Cheers

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
9 Nov 2010 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

The construction is a fiberglass hollow mould from what i no of it. Its really super tough and not too heavy at a guess would be in the 12 to 14 kg mark but that a total guess?
Yeah AA got a 14 footer i have seen it on the roof of this car alot! He likes it recons its really stable and has good glide, i have asked him for a demo but i havnt had one as yet im keen to test it out for sure.
I will try and weight it correctly and put up the weight when i can
Cheers

i'm in the process of getting a 14' lahui kai for a 'sea change'.being on the goldie we have seen a few new proto's. had a go on one this morning.in the mean time i have been lent the moulded 14' that billy paddled at the roar. it is heavier than i'm used too, but goes well and as mentioned has a good glide. i was impressed with the quick early lift in speed when paddling for waves/runners.the board felt tough,durable and capable when paddling out. they probably don't recommend it, but i think this board will absorb wave and whitewater pressure pretty well. it seems to spread the pressure through the whole board, not just where you've taken the hit.

starting to make me think, because where i'm planning to take my 14', i'm might be better with the moulded board
cheers

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
11 Dec 2010 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

i have now paddled the 14 footer lahui kai hollow moulded and i liked this board alot more than the 12'6" version is more stable in high winds and just feels like a better board all round the narrow tail shape still makes it a bit funky when you step right back and jam your foot on the tail but not as wonky as the 12'6" feels. when you are on a broken wave and you put your foot right back on the 12'6 its just wobbles strangly ? I have seen Ali's custom 12'6" and this has a square tail it looks like a better shape and she said is more stable than the pin that she paddled. If i had my choice again i would have gone the 14 footer i weight 70 - 73 kgs and 5'7 if that helps anyone
Cheers Dan

Lobes
885 posts
11 Dec 2010 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

I got my new 14' Orca today. It's still in the bubble wrap but think I might head out for a paddle tomorrow. Will post a thread. Very excited

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2010 Lahui Kai 12'6" hollow moulded model" started by dtm