Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2011 14' Downwind Boards

Created by BoardGirl > 9 months ago, 7 May 2011
BoardGirl
QLD, 248 posts
7 May 2011 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

Looking at getting a 14' Downwind Board, specifically for downwinds.

I have four in mind and wondering if anyone has had experience riding them in a downwind and what your thoughts/advice is about each.

The four in mind are 14' S.I.C. non rudder / 14' C4 Vortice XP / 14' Naish Glide / 14' Open Ocean Starboard

Things that are important to me:-

1/ Volume of board
2/ Weight
3/ Stability
4/ Overall feel when riding

Cheers

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
7 May 2011 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

BoardGirl said...

Hi All,

Looking at getting a 14' Downwind Board, specifically for downwinds.

I have three in mind and wondering if anyone has had experience riding them in a downwind and what your thoughts/advice is about each.

The four in mind are 14' S.I.C. non rudder / 14' C4 Vortice XP / 14' Naish Glide / 14' Open Ocean Starboard

Things that are important to me:-

1/ Volume of board
2/ Weight
3/ Stability
4/ Overall feel when riding

Cheers

i'm one eyed for sure, but what about the new dc 14. it is an easy fanastic fast board
cheers

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
7 May 2011 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

So is it 3 or 4 that you have in mind?..

The AST 14' Glide is by far the cheapest..

... and IMHO it's also the best..

DJ

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
7 May 2011 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/In-the-making/

This one does look good !

But those 4 you suggest are all good boards.... It's just a matter of trying to get a free paddle on a few of them.... Have you been down to The Goldie Dawn Training sessions.... river conditions, but you should be able to politely test a few.... in the flat.... just to see how they go, how they feel, the stability, etc... weight... talk to people....

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
8 May 2011 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Haven't been on a 14' SIC, but I have tried the C4 Vortice, the Naish Glide and I own the previous model Starboard 14' - the Elite Race.

If you are looking at the SIC and the C4 and if weight is important (and presumably price is not) then you must be considering the carbon versions of the Naish and Starboard. The glass versions add about 3kg and are not a fair comparison with the hollow carbon SIC and C4.

I have found (and we confirmed in a timed test) that there is absolutely nothing separating the Naish from the 2010 Starboard for speed in flat water, volume, weight and stability. The overall feel is an entirely subjective thing with these two boards - some like the Naish, some prefer the Starboard. However, I have seen the new 2011 model Open Ocean, and talking to Jonathan, it seems to be a significant improvement on the 2010 Elite, so on that basis, I think Starboard may have edged ahead of Naish.

However neither of these boards is a jet. They are both great fun downwind boards, just not necessarily race winners. The C4 is definitely faster and lighter but you are giving up a little stability. Maybe even a lot of stability depending on your weight and skill level. It's an excellent board, but you will need to try one before committing.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
8 May 2011 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

Haven't been on a 14' SIC, but I have tried the C4 Vortice, the Naish Glide and I own the previous model Starboard 14' - the Elite Race.

If you are looking at the SIC and the C4 and if weight is important (and presumably price is not) then you must be considering the carbon versions of the Naish and Starboard. The glass versions add about 3kg and are not a fair comparison with the hollow carbon SIC and C4.

I have found (and we confirmed in a timed test) that there is absolutely nothing separating the Naish from the 2010 Starboard for speed in flat water, volume, weight and stability. The overall feel is an entirely subjective thing with these two boards - some like the Naish, some prefer the Starboard. However, I have seen the new 2011 model Open Ocean, and talking to Jonathan, it seems to be a significant improvement on the 2010 Elite, so on that basis, I think Starboard may have edged ahead of Naish.

However neither of these boards is a jet. They are both great fun downwind boards, just not necessarily race winners. The C4 is definitely faster and lighter but you are giving up a little stability. Maybe even a lot of stability depending on your weight and skill level. It's an excellent board, but you will need to try one before committing.

i agree, the vortice is good in the ocean and is agile, but can be tricky if your not on your game.

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
8 May 2011 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

C4 Vortice 14 - We measured the "water line" width at the central wide point... Bottom Edge to Bottom Edge, or Chine to Chine... not the outer most wide points... and the inner measurement was only about 23 inches. Quite narrow. Or 23 something... Effect is increased speed, and slightly reduced stability....

MrMyagi
NSW, 204 posts
8 May 2011 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

I'm with DJ; ideally you need more than one in your quiver. The four you listed are great. Lately I've been paddling a 14' Hobie Elite and the Angulo Designs - 14' Shaka EST:

- Clean and fast downwind run = Hobie (sweet carbon rocket).

- Choppy, rough and lumpy = the Shaka (extra width and volume for awesome stability).

scotty100
QLD, 233 posts
9 May 2011 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

hi . imo stick to a 12'6 it will allow you to go in more beginner style races , they go just as good as 14 ft easier to store, carry and the lastest models like from fanatic or deep ocean are the most stable boards i have riden . you can even compete in bop style events which will be the bulk of races . i traded my 14 glide down and i belive it is faster and far easier to handle on waves , i have really enjoyed surfing it in small to medium size waves. just my 2 cents worth

BoardGirl
QLD, 248 posts
9 May 2011 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the responses.

I do have more than one board in my quiver I have a Fanatic 10'6 and a Fanatic Carbon Fly Race 12'6 which I love.

I am looking at adding another to my mix being a 14' specific downwind board and am down to three choices. SIC / Vortice XP / Naish Glide.

I will see if I can get to test them over the coming weekends.

Cheers

instyle
16 posts
9 May 2011 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

BoardGirl said...

Hi Everyone,

I do have more than one board in my quiver I have a Fanatic 10'6 and a Fanatic Carbon Fly Race 12'6 which I love.

I am looking at adding another to my mix being a 14' specific downwind board and am down to three choices. SIC / Vortice XP / Naish Glide.

Cheers

Hi BoardGirl,

I have a 14' SIC available for you to demo but unfortunately its in Sydney. We do often do demos through Roar in QLD, so hopefully we can co-ordinate with them for you to try the board at some stage.

Dimensions are 14' x 27 1/8".

Cheers

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
9 May 2011 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

instyle said...

BoardGirl said...

Hi Everyone,

Cheers

Hi BoardGirl,

I have a 14' SIC available for you to demo but unfortunately its in Sydney. We do often do demos through Roar in QLD, so hopefully we can co-ordinate with them for you to try the board at some stage.

Dimensions are 14' x 27 1/8".

Cheers

Just wondering.. Is this a different 14 to the 14' Bullet?

When are we going to see them in Melbourne?

DJ

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
9 May 2011 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

BoardGirl said...

Hi Everyone,

Cheers

the vortice- a good board, but can be tricky.

naish good board- probably the easiest board to dw out there

the sic 14- pin tail, will go well, but most likely be narrow and maybe for experience paddlers

there is one board in there that is completely different.

to be honest i don't understand those 3 choices

shaggysmith
ACT, 27 posts
9 May 2011 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

I have been paddling a Hobie Elite 14' and it has a great shape for downwinders and flat stuff. I really like the displacement nose on it; like the Fanatic Fly Race (I have a 12'6" too and love it) it tracks straight even when the nose is submerged and as long as you can get over your old surfing worries of burying your nose it is awesome.

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
10 May 2011 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Seems the new Surftec Bark Dominator 14 is getting great reviews overseas, does anyone here in Aus stock them???

supgladiator.com/2011/04/05/surftech-bark-dominator-14-first-impressions/

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
10 May 2011 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

jt737 said...

Seems the new Surftec Bark Dominator 14 is getting great reviews overseas, does anyone here in Aus stock them???

supgladiator.com/2011/04/05/surftech-bark-dominator-14-first-impressions/

Yeah mate, Scotty had one at Greenline for ages (and actually still has the 12.6 version in the store) The 14 only recently sold after being run as a demo for a while. It was a lovely board and very very stable and super light to carry. It was also probably the best tracking board I have ever paddled and also very easy to turn for such a big board. I never did any form of downwind run on the board but the Barks seem to be the flavour of the month in the states at the moment and I am told that in Hawaii they are absolutely everywhere. From what I read and hear Joe Bark is kinda the king of race board design and manafacturing at the moment and I guess the sales numbers kinda back that up.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2011 14' Downwind Boards" started by BoardGirl