Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2011 C4 9'6 SUB VECTOR

Created by snappy > 9 months ago, 14 Jun 2010
snappy
NSW, 66 posts
14 Jun 2010 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

I just purchased my 7th SUP which includes a Jimmy lewis 10, and a PSH 9,3 Ripper
10'5 starboard and I have to say this ones the best of them all.
Simon from Newcastle SUP has been at me a while to try one of these puppies and I can say after purchasing one and riding it in some pretty heavy surf over the weekend I am stoked.
Firstly from the takeoff it paddles with my 80kgs with ease and surprisingly with the surf outline very straight.
I purposely paddled in late on a few,no problems the rocker made the drop a breeze.Mal riders were commenting how well the rails hung in on the steepest drops.
I have never surfed a quad before but my first bottom turn laid that fear to rest,coming of the bottom with seemingly no loss of speed to set up the next drop off the re entry.
I spoke to MR before my purchase and he mentioned how stable the 9'6 was as he had come off a 10' and the 9'6 subvector was more stable,I have to agree.[MR knows a good shape when he sees one]The deck seems almost concave which gives a really stable feel.
Lastly the finish is just superb,this is one pretty board,definitely my best board to date.All I can say is grab one and try it you wont be disappointed.

snappy
NSW, 66 posts
14 Jun 2010 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

javascript:parent.insertImages(' ')javascript:parent.insertImages(' ')

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
15 Jun 2010 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Looks very cool mate, just about set on the 9'3 SV myself.

Eastcoast SUP
NSW, 333 posts
15 Jun 2010 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

I agree - is a great looking board...thanks for the review,eh

SimonDodd
NSW, 80 posts
15 Jun 2010 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Wow great review snappy and happy you are stoked!

Funny you mention MR as he had an enquiry from a semi-regular forum poster about shaping a SUP and this was the reply:

Hi ***
Thanks but as yet i haven't shaped one
I ride the C4 9'6 set up with twin fins and a stabiliser and it goes insane.
Dave Parmenter's C4 shapes are thebest on the market

SwellSC
26 posts
17 Jun 2010 3:28AM
Thumbs Up

Looks good.
How much volume does the board have?

Eastcoast SUP
NSW, 333 posts
17 Jun 2010 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

SwellSC said...

Looks good.
How much volume does the board have?

hi mate, the 9'6 SUB is around 134-135 litres.

wheels
WA, 203 posts
21 Jun 2010 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

Whats it cost? With fins?

Eastcoast SUP
NSW, 333 posts
22 Jun 2010 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

hi mate sent you a message...board comes with 2+1 or quad option

also comes in quite a few different colours/designs etc, the one pictured is in Red "Poly"...

Hope this helps !

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
25 Jun 2010 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Been riding the 9'6 Sub V over the last couple weeks trying different fin setups. This feedback is relative to my weight which is around 70kg, so for heavier riders, would go for the larger fin setups. Have to say I am loving the board though, goes great with whatever setup I inflict on it. Really fast and comfortable/stable. Love the concave deck.

Futures Controller fins go unreal in this board. Drive and hold are good, but can still do a slash cuttie if you push it from the tail. You get a great feel for the board with these fins, and foot positioning makes a big difference.

I also liked the T1's with 2x TT1's as quad rears (T1's come as a twin plus single stabiliser, so had to get extra TT1). This is a good setup for small to medium waves as it is loose, and the 2 stabilisers gives a bit more drive and control without too much tailslide/stalling.

For bigger and/or more hollow waves, the Lopez quads give great hold and are excellent for long carving turns (sorry didn't get pic with full Lopez Set in), but are a bit much for my size in smaller stuff, so I kept the fronts in and put SB3's (same size s TT1's) in the rear to loosen up for small to medium waves.

Haven't tried them in this board yet, but the Simon Anderson quads are also good, drivey fins, and would go great for heavier riders.

Also haven't got around to trying thruster or 2+1 setups on this board yet, but looking forward to trying some different options...there's a lot to choose from tho...

Hope this helps if anyone is looking at quads for the 9'6 Sub V.

snappy
NSW, 66 posts
27 Jun 2010 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Dropped the 9'6 C4 Sub vector into a 3ft beach break barrell at Catho today,last wave of the day,so deep the crew thought I was going to go the other way but the board just smoked it and flew out the other end.
The rocker is just briliant on this board,even when the wave is so hollow its trying to drag you up the face it just hangs into the wall and flies.
I cant beleive I waited so long to order this board.
The other good thing is its stable without being corky like my PSH Ripper and holds a straight line when your paddling hard for a wave.
I'm stoked with the standard fins which I might say are quality not like the plastic crap that came with my PSH.
Little things like not only has it got a good moulded handle but also provisions for loops so you can use your paddle to carry the board over longer distances.The pad is real quality also.
As I said in a previous thread this is my 7th SUP and this one tops the lot.javascript:parent.insertImages(' ')

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
28 Jun 2010 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Not to hijack your review Snappy but I got my 9'3 at the weekend and after 2 sessions I'm super stoked with my purchase

I'm glad the 9'6 loves late drop in's as the 9'3 doesn't but I've ordered the 9'6 for those steep days

Kagey
569 posts
28 Jun 2010 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Nice lookin board Dave...mind you the 9'6" looks decent also.

snappy
NSW, 66 posts
9 Jul 2010 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

javascript:parent.insertImages(' ')Dropping into a nice wall at Catho last Sunday

boarder paul
1952 posts
12 Jul 2010 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Nice photo, That could be a photo for the next mag... hmm please help us kiwis with the mag casso?

Awsome review, i just ordered a 9'6 myself

Yes yes yesssssss

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
12 Jul 2010 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

boarder paul said...

Nice photo, That could be a photo for the next mag... hmm please help us kiwis with the mag casso?

Awsome review, i just ordered a 9'6 myself

Yes yes yesssssss

i hope so paul. good choice of the 2 vectors from what i hear

Daneli
QLD, 1538 posts
16 Aug 2010 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

DILLIGAF2 said...

Not to hijack your review Snappy but I got my 9'3 at the weekend and after 2 sessions I'm super stoked with my purchase

I'm glad the 9'6 loves late drop in's as the 9'3 doesn't but I've ordered the 9'6 for those steep days

Hi DILLIGAF2,

Did you end up getting both 9'3 and 9'6 Sub Vectors. I'd be interested to hear how you compare them.

Thanks

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
16 Aug 2010 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful looking board.. Nice shape and the quality and finish looks very good.

DJ

Eastcoast SUP
NSW, 333 posts
16 Aug 2010 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

The Sub Vectors are a class act so I thought I'd post a few images of the 9'3 we got in the other day :

Just noticed all the boards displayed in this thread are of the POLY design. The SubV actually does come in a few different colours/designs I will post up some images of a 9'3 in a blue METALLIC soon.

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
17 Aug 2010 5:39AM
Thumbs Up

Daneli said...

Hi DILLIGAF2,

Did you end up getting both 9'3 and 9'6 Sub Vectors. I'd be interested to hear how you compare them.

Thanks

Hi Daneli yes getting both boards but still waiting on the 9'6 (little ol NZ shipping ). The main differences from what I know are that the 9'3 is faster but the 9'6 is looser and more rocker so will be my go to board for larger steeper waves etc. The lack of rocker on the 9'3 does take a while to get used to but was out in 15knt+ off shore winds at the weekend and was really happy it had little rocker as the wind just didn't get under it.

I've ridden the 9'3 for about 30-40 hrs now and it just gets better and better. When the wave has some power its the fastest board I've ever been on but having said that I've been out in ankle biters and its still great fun. Even though its a short board style you can walk the board and I've even seen vids of guys doing heli's on them I'm just loving this board and the construction is bomb proof!

No disclaimer needed just loving the board

Daneli
QLD, 1538 posts
17 Aug 2010 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

At what size/slope wave do you say the 9'3 is to flat and go for the 9'6 with more rocker

EDIT: Just saw your post Dilli. Thanks for that. I had a look at one of these boards and the rocker is flat. I can demo so I'll give it a go. I'm unlikely to use it in anything really juicy as I tend to default to the surfboard.

How heavy are you?

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
17 Aug 2010 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

Daneli said...

At what size/slope wave do you say the 9'3 is to flat and go for the 9'6 with more rocker

EDIT: Just saw your post Dilli. Thanks for that. I had a look at one of these boards and the rocker is flat. I can demo so I'll give it a go. I'm unlikely to use it in anything really juicy as I tend to default to the surfboard.

How heavy are you?

I tend to go by look and feel i.e how I feel bit like windsurfing its blowing 18knts but gusting 25 do I go 6m or 7.3m depends on the session I want. If I want fast and challenging I'll take the 9'3 out in whatever NE NZ offers if not anything over 2m and I'll probably default back to the 9'6. Having said that some of my local breaks get really steep at low tide so again depends on the day. I beleive you need a few boards as its not just your weight and ability its also the breaks you surf. I'm 82kg more or less BTW so plenty to get the SV's going
Correct me if I'm wrong here as I've done more windsurfing (15yrs) than sup surfing (2yrs) so still learning myself

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2011 C4 9'6 SUB VECTOR" started by snappy