Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2011 DTM Gun 9'1" Review

Created by goatman > 9 months ago, 25 May 2011
goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
25 May 2011 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

I had some pretty specific needs for this board and after chatting at length to Dan, came up with the following:

1. Must paddle fairly well but stability not a big issue
2. Able to handle 4- 10 foot (OH to 3 x time OH +) comfortably
3. Needs to be able to draw out a long bottom turn but still be able to perform tight carves on the face
4. Must handle late drops
5. Must be able to be easily leant over into a bottom turn even on a fat wave face
6. Must be able to sit in the barrel without getting 'flipped'
7. Will be more snap resistant and have a bit of 'weight' in it.

With this in mind Dan has delivered a 9'1” x 27 ¾” x 4 ½” gun.
The tail and nose are quite pulled in and the profile is thinned out considerably on the ends reducing buoyancy in those areas.

The rails are also considerably thinned out particularly at the extremities but also in the middle of the rail line – creating a quite domed deck – which looks sensational IMO.

The rocker is similar to my last gun – ie; slightly more than our small wave boards but spread over a longer rocker line. The bottom is a single concave running into a V tail and the volume has been kept close to the 100 litre mark at approx 105.

Construction wise it has been beefed up, using 2 layers of 6oz plus a complete layer of a large weave carbon on top and bottom with one less layer of 6 oz on the bottom. The finished weight with a heavy style grip, big wave legrope and fins is around 8 – 8.5 kilos.

I have had this SUP for six weeks now and thanks to continuous swells, have had it in a wide range of conditions, mostly in the overhead range, quite a few in the double overhead plus and one in 3-4 x overhead (10 foot). Had it in strong offshore, sideshore and onshore winds – offshore reefs, bombies and point break slabs. One word springs to mind – solid! It feels so sure footed, paddles in easily and never feels like it is NOT gonna come off the bottom, even when its fat. IMO the low volume rails contribute to this as they never feel like they are going to 'catch' as I have felt on other SUPs.

The better the shape waves the harder it flies off the bottom, in fact the drive out of turns is insane. Once you jam the back foot down over the tail kicker it carves around in a lovely tight arc and can mount foam with ease. While it sounds like I am talking it up, this is the best SUP I have had so far and I have only just gotten back on my 8'7” recently on the small days – it is that much fun, even in tiny stuff!

The only thing I would want tweeked at this stage would be the fin position very slightly – probably move 10 - 15mm forward. I am running G3s ATM.

Paddling wise it feels like a rocket compared to my 8'7” and allows you to get in early on the bigger beasts – a definite plus when it is hitting a ledge or in an open ocean type wave. I think its limit is around the 10 – 12 foot mark but we don't really get much bigger than that around here unless you go chasing outer bombies on monster days.

Here's some pics:

Paddles in nicely:

North
WA, 104 posts
25 May 2011 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Personal question... What do you weigh to be able to get down to 105L volume?

Nice waves, Woah!

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
25 May 2011 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

North said...

Personal question... What do you weigh to be able to get down to 105L volume?

Nice waves, Woah!

Hi North - not too personal as I am a bloke

I'm 80 kg. Started on the 9'3" Ripper like you. Loved it in the bigger stuff but gradually found the weight and the volume too much too handle.

Piros
QLD, 6936 posts
26 May 2011 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Great review Goatie and sweet looking board , Dan is really starting to put out some nice stuff and I think we might some of his boards in Qld soon

Again great shots and effort on your epic day ...just charging.

micksmith
VIC, 1683 posts
28 May 2011 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

what would the cost be for the ordinary man?
Its a beautiful outline and the carbon looks awesome

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
29 May 2011 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

try emailing dan through his website for costs....

www.dtmsup.com

but they are very affordable

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
8 Jun 2011 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Maroubra SUP
NSW, 148 posts
26 Jun 2011 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

27 ¾” x 4 ½”???

How's the paddling stability in the lumpy surface conditions? Goaty, you must have an above average ability to balance in ocean motion at those dimensions!

Love those massive take off photos... charge hard!

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
7 Jul 2011 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Maroubra SUP said...

27 ¾” x 4 ½”???

How's the paddling stability in the lumpy surface conditions?

Hey Steve, it is very stable compared to my 8'7 in smooth conditions but becomes a bit more of a handful when choppy. The low volume rails tend to sink rather than get bounced around so a different sort of instability - paddles really quickly though!

How's the vibe towards your SUP at 2035? I lived there for 12 months in '99 - never had any dramas but was on a shortie at the time.

Maroubra SUP
NSW, 148 posts
12 Jul 2011 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Goatie. Vibe at 2035 is ok, but delicate. The surfing etiquette threads that Blane & crew have posted works. My fellow surf SUP crew are small in number and we all have long, local shortboard history. So we know how to keep things peaceful, even if it means we don't get as many waves or get leftovers. Still fun.

We must have been in the water together in 99.

Now, back to the 8'7 in lumpy, backwashy, windy surface conditions. Do you sit on your board much during lulls? Any other techniques that help ride sensitive SUPs in these conditions? I've been on the 9'3 the past coupla days and all good. But not the 8'5 yet.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2011 DTM Gun 9'1" Review" started by goatman