Full length divinicell top and bottom.

See you soon Hilly

Cheers,

Courts

Radman
WA, 629 posts
19 Dec 2009 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Heres a short vid imade feachering the JL mano 9'4' gives you an idea how well they both paddle and surf . larger boards feel heavy on the paddle after riding these babies.

WINDY MILLER
WA, 3183 posts
20 Dec 2009 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

i love this video

Dadinabarrel
WA, 126 posts
23 Dec 2009 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

G'day Courts
As per the emails over the last week or so, I can't make up my mind between the 9'9" or the 10'2" Mano.

Logic tells me that the 10'2" is the board for me (100kg) but I want to take it to Bali with me in July, so that points me at the 9'9".

The thread www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57239&SearchTerms=plane tells me Garuda will accept boards up to 3m, the 10'2" is 3.01m, which with a cover would definately be over.

For everyone's benefit - what size JL's did you take on your Indo trip, and with which carrier? Any hassles? Any excess?

Thanks mate

Tim

Supsurfaust
WA, 83 posts
24 Dec 2009 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Gday Tim,

Damon and I flew Garuda for the Indo trip.

I had a JL 9'4" & a JL 9'8" and 2 paddles all in a Creatures Sup bag. I also had a 7'0" coffin with 4 surfboards in it. On the way (PER - JKT- PDG) there I was charged $50 AUD excess. On the way back we went to Bali for a few waves so it was PDG- JKT- DPS-PER, and I wasn't charged anything until I went to leave Bali to come home, where after some discussions I ended up paying $100USD to get everything home.

Damon had a 10'0" JL in a Creatures Sup bag and a coffin with 4 surfboards. He was charged $120 AUD leaving Perth heading up there and nothing coming home, though he did leave the JL 10'0" in Bali.

Typical Indo/Travel story right there eh!

There was no hassles, the boards were all accepted easily but depending on your check in person the excess varied.

Hope this helps,

Courts

Dadinabarrel
WA, 126 posts
25 Dec 2009 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Courts
That helps a lot, I'll come down and buy a 10'2" as soon as I find a buyer for my Laird. What colours do you have left? How much are the creatures covers?

Tim

Any takers?

Laird 12'2" (Surftech epoxy) with full creatures grip, leggie and paddle $1,350 the perfect board for entry level, cruising (plenty of waves mal style) or a big guy 0423 628 370

Make that $1,200

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
25 Dec 2009 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Indo tubes said...

Thanks Courts
That helps a lot, I'll come down and buy a 10'2" as soon as I find a buyer for my Laird. What colours do you have left? How much are the creatures covers?

Tim

Any takers?

Laird 12'2" (Surftech epoxy) with full creatures grip, leggie and paddle $1,350 the perfect board for entry level, cruising (plenty of waves mal style) or a big guy 0423 628 370

I suggest the 9 9 as at 105kg I find it very stable and it surfs unreal.

Dadinabarrel
WA, 126 posts
25 Dec 2009 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Hilly, are you going to Gnaraloo this year?

Tim

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
26 Dec 2009 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Indo tubes said...

Thanks Hilly, are you going to Gnaraloo this year?

Tim

Been avoiding it lately due to the crowds going there now compared to the good old days

Going to exmouth so may drop in on way up or back. I am tied to school holidays so it is difficult.

Supsurfaust
WA, 83 posts
30 Dec 2009 2:56AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Tim,

Just sent you a message re: JL 10'2" Mano's and C of L Bags.

Cheers,

Courts

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
30 Dec 2009 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Courts how is Hawaii? Getting some bombs?

Got the 9 9 as my all rounder for beachies. Love it so far in the knee high dribble I have had it out in. Very stable for my 105kg of relaxed muscle and light/loose on the waves a real winner.

Got a few waves down south just after you left but on the PSH woodie. Looking forward to getting out at Esperance on the Mano, I think it will love the waves down there. leaving soon.

cranky
440 posts
30 Dec 2009 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Got my 9'9 mano , stable, nice feel, refreshing to have some rocker and a pulled in nose. I was expecting a bigger loss of paddle performance due to the rocker/nose combo but to me it is similar to the SB 9'8. I'm hanging to get it out in some clean waves.

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
1 Jan 2010 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

cranky said...

it is similar to the SB 9'8.

I'm hanging to get it out in some clean waves.

Agree on both counts

Supsurfaust
WA, 83 posts
16 Jan 2010 5:58AM
Thumbs Up

Stoked to hear you are on a 9'9" JL Mano Hilly!

Great boards, so fast and squirty out of turns and super loose. Gotta love em'.

Hawaii has been pumping the whole time we've been here. Stoked!

How was Esperance? Waves?

Cheers,

Courts

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
16 Jan 2010 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Supsurfaust said...

Stoked to hear you are on a 9'9" JL Mano Hilly!

Great boards, so fast and squirty out of turns and super loose. Gotta love em'.

Hawaii has been pumping the whole time we've been here. Stoked!

How was Esperance? Waves?

Cheers,

Courts

esperance was the usual mixed bag some great beachies but lots of onshore as usual. Great trip.

Just heading to solid boaties with dean should be fun.

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
11 Feb 2010 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Courts are you back yet?? How did the Mano go in Hawaii?

Supsurfaust
WA, 83 posts
14 Feb 2010 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

G'day Hilly,

I got back at the end of January.

Mano went awesome over there.

Catch up next time you are down.

Courts

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
14 Feb 2010 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Courts tuning question for you.

Love the Mano below head high just flies along and you can turn where ever you want. Only problem I have had is in slightly bigger waves at speed it seems to be less willing to turn.

You talked once about them being really fin sensitive. Using the stock fins how far back do you put the centre fin in solid waves? Or do you change fins?

Supsurfaust
WA, 83 posts
21 Feb 2010 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Gday Hilly,

We haven't had any problems turning the Mano's regardless of wave size, we ride them from grovel up to 3-4 times overhead reef surf.

Two things that come to mind if you are having trouble is where your feet are on the board and fin positioning.

I find that the Mano's performance based shape require you to be back and surfing off the tail - for example the JL Hanalei allows you to commit to turns from almost anywhere on the board - whereas the Mano's have a more defined sweet spot - with the back foot being back near the tail pad kicker region. I am right on the kicker in small surf.

Personally I have to not go all the way back to the kicker wit my back foot in double overhead + surf as I find the board is too loose and turns too quick from there for my liking in those kind of waves. I tend to be roughly 6" from the kicker in these waves.

My centre fin positioning for up to head high waves, is right up against the top of the box. Double overhead surf I have it back about 1"- 1 1/2", then after that it is in the middle of the fin box.

Here's a couple of pics on the 9'4", centre fin in these shots is 1" from the top of the fin box.

Cheers,

Courts

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
21 Feb 2010 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the photos it may be the contrast with my other boards that have narrower tails I might need to move around a bit more on the larger stuff. Bit hard when the toes are grabbing hold

I tend to leave the fin central which is still seriously loose on small stuff when the foot is on the kicker. Had a couple of head high lumpy things yesterday that it just ripped; having a ball on it.

hammer
WA, 95 posts
14 Mar 2010 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

I bloody love my 9'9! I am 85 kg. Sure these smaller boards are tippy enough as sometimes sitting out the back it feels like it just bucks you off! But godfathers, they take any drop and are fast as. Who needs a gun! A real confidence building board on the wave. I would hit it anywhere ( up to my head high high, head deap limit) with this board!

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
15 Mar 2010 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Too right they do rip!! not as impressive a wave as courts. But for a 105kg guy to be able to turn so well on small waves is proof these are serious performance boards

jg01
VIC, 38 posts
17 Mar 2010 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Ive just had my first session on my 10-2 Mano.

The 10-2 Mano is the most amazing board I have ever ridden. I'm 125 kgs, so I'm on the heavy side, but the board is brilliant.

Its is very very very fast, but super loose and I'm still blown away at how much it accelerates through a turn. The speed and drive is impressive, I was making sections 5 - 10 metres ahead of what I normally could make.

Another thing that I love, its that I dont need to move my back foot around from rail to rail to turn it. This speeds up the rail to rail turns a heap, and I feel more fluid.

The Mano is so under rated! If you are after a perfomance board, definately try and demo the board at any chance you get!

I am stocked!

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
25 Apr 2010 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Against my better judgement pushed the centre fin forward freaken rips. Yeh I know Courts you told me so loving the 9 9 in anything now

Supsurfaust
WA, 83 posts
8 May 2010 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Haha, stoked you like the fin pushed forward Hilly. Perfect for small to medium surf.

Cheers,

Courts

Toby226
9 posts
2 Jun 2010 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

I am Toby,57KG
I like Jimmy Lewis Mano 9'4"

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
27 Jun 2010 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hello guys,
just to let you know that we now have all the sizes Mano JL ready for testing and renting down in Bali... From 9'0 to 10'2..
Bye Jankie

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
17 Jul 2010 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Just had the 9 9 up north for a couple of weeks great fun.

Reflex Films
WA, 1446 posts
18 Jul 2010 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

like that reo Hilly ! - surf beach - just out of exmouth by any chance?

col303
WA, 150 posts
18 Jul 2010 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, I had a go on a 9' x 28" mano down at gearys a few weeks ago. At 84 kgs and not been on many narrow boards found it challenging staying on the board out back (pretty calm off shore wind). After spending plenty of time in the water slowly gaining some stability I persisted tenaciuosly for a while but eventually handed the board back to the 74 kg owner whom the board suited them both just not me not yet. From the thread I think the 9'9" could be more suited what the opinion? I tried the 9'Coreban Fusion easyer to ride and the 9'6" Coreban which was very easy to catch a wave and ride. Haven't bought any of these still thinking! Whats that burning smell!!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2011 Jimmy Lewis Shredder 9'4 and 9'9" started by kitesurfbali