Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2011 SIC 12'6 and Naish 17

Created by paul.j > 9 months ago, 8 Jun 2010
paul.j
QLD, 3319 posts
8 Jun 2010 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

I have been training a bit on this board in the mornings and thought i would give my quick review on it.

Flat water: Board feels pretty average at the nose entry but really nice of the tail it is on speed with most 12'6 maybe a little slower than some.

IN and OUTs: To me this is where this board is at its bests it took of when i did this on this board it was really nice to punch out through the waves and when on a swell it surfed it very well, and really took off when it came to the fat parts of the wave. Its easy to kick turn around as well.

Over all its a good board it would be great as a training board it wont win a flat water race as i think there are faster but in a BOP style it would be right up there it's nice and stable and feels good to paddle.

Jacko

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
8 Jun 2010 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Any pics of the 12'6 SIC ?

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
8 Jun 2010 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

i checked this board out at the roar and thought it looked unreal quite light really good looking board

paul.j
QLD, 3319 posts
9 Jun 2010 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Here are some pic's of the 12'6.

I have also done a review of the Naish 17 here for those who are intrested:
I have been getting some good time on this board and these are my thoughts...

Flat water: Not so good, like it goes alright but the Javelin kicks it's arse. So you could use it as a cruiser for the flat but it wont win to many flatwater race's.

Ocean:0 to 15knots: Board still feels pretty slow it's pretty hard work in these conditions and you feel the extra bit of weight that the board has but with every puff of wind you can feel it wants to go.

Ocean 15to 40 knots: WOW this is where this board is ment to be, the more wind the better, the bit off weight that was holding it back earlier is now making it come alive. You can feel the extra glide and it just wants to go quicker and quicker. You can still put the nose under but it comes back up with ease and does not slow you down. In these conditions i have not paddled a better board and you can tell this is what it is ment for.

Overall: Amazing board in the right conditions and bit of a pig in the wrong. The board is super stable in all conditions and i very rearly fall of if at all. Construction is solid it does carry a bit more weight than some customs but this is what makes this board so good i feel. Rudder is good easy to use and can be set up for both goofy and natural stance, it can get a bit rough on the toes after a long paddle but otherwise it is one of the best out there.

ZephyrG
23 posts
9 Jun 2010 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Great Pictures! I can't help thinking that this is very similar to the Starboard SurfRace. I don't suppose you know someone with this board and you could put them side-by-side as a comparison? Have you tried the SIC 12'6" in a downwind run yet?

paul.j
QLD, 3319 posts
9 Jun 2010 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

No sorry i have not done a DW run on this board and dont think i will. IMO DW runs are really for 14ft and over, that's not to say you cant do one on this board but once you have gone 14ft you wont go back.

Jacko

Revvin
VIC, 299 posts
9 Jun 2010 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Whats the width and thickness of this board?

paul.j
QLD, 3319 posts
9 Jun 2010 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Revvin said...

funny thing, i have no idea.

at a guess 27-28 wide and 5inch thick

paul.j
QLD, 3319 posts
9 Jun 2010 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

I have now put the 17 Naish review on this post so i can answer questions on either board here. Saves me checking all over the place.

Revvin
VIC, 299 posts
9 Jun 2010 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

paul.j said...

Revvin said...

funny thing, i have no idea.

at a guess 27-28 wide and 5inch thick

Cheers

Would it be possible for you to PM me a ball park RRP?

Thanks

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
9 Jun 2010 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

paul.j said...

Here are some pic's of the 12'6.

I have also done a review of the Naish 17 here for those who are intrested:
I have been getting some good time on this board and these are my thoughts...

Flat water: Not so good, like it goes alright but the Javelin kicks it's arse. So you could use it as a cruiser for the flat but it wont win to many flatwater race's.

Ocean:0 to 15knots: Board still feels pretty slow it's pretty hard work in these conditions and you feel the extra bit of weight that the board has but with every puff of wind you can feel it wants to go.

Ocean 15to 40 knots: WOW this is where this board is ment to be, the more wind the better, the bit off weight that was holding it back earlier is now making it come alive. You can feel the extra glide and it just wants to go quicker and quicker. You can still put the nose under but it comes back up with ease and does not slow you down. In these conditions i have not paddled a better board and you can tell this is what it is ment for.

Overall: Amazing board in the right conditions and bit of a pig in the wrong. The board is super stable in all conditions and i very rearly fall of if at all. Construction is solid it does carry a bit more weight than some customs but this is what makes this board so good i feel. Rudder is good easy to use and can be set up for both goofy and natural stance, it can get a bit rough on the toes after a long paddle but otherwise it is one of the best out there.

totally agree. the winder and bigger it is, the better it goes. one thing for me is and this might seem stupid, it doesn't feel 17', more like a 16', which is good thing in the bigger stuff
cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2011 SIC 12'6 and Naish 17" started by paul.j