2011 Stand Sure 8'2" FiberFlex by Simon Anderson

Created by Casso > 9 months ago, 16 Sep 2010
cranky
440 posts
8 Oct 2010 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

TheSUPShop said...

cranky said...

What are the parameters for the flex pattern? I'm struggling to get my mind around the science of the flex part.

Ahh Crank thats the colonels secret herbs and spices.......

Not really after their recipe, more interested in the tangible measure of how much or little they flex and the measurable benefits - especially as they are being marketed on that platform. I'm sure the celebs give it the thumbs up but I recall the late, great Peter Brock endorsing the energy polariser on a much higher profile product.

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
9 Oct 2010 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

unless you weight is well over 120kgs i highly doudt a 4 inch thick board is flexing at all especialy with all the 6oz cloth on it and them stiffening up the rails with carbon on them,this would create less flex again the carbon could help for strenght though and stiffness!

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
9 Oct 2010 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

TheSUPShop said...

log man said...

"fiber flex"= fiber marketing. What a load of old cobblers.

Dont knock it until you try it logman...........if Tom Carroll, Casso and Matt Grainger all give it the "thumbs up", there must be something and not just marketing hype!

I'm not doubting you've got a good surf shape . I'm doubting that a board 4 inches thick and 2 and a half feet wide can be made to bend in a controlled fashion. Simply by stating that it's "carbon fiber" (and why is that better than glass fibre?) doesn't mean a thing. What is the deflection under load? what is the load? ,I'm 95kg ,will it work for me?are there say, 3 or 4 boards with different lay ups for different weights?, if there aren't how do you expect to to get the correct deflection. here's a comparison, Tru Temper make shafts for golf clubs. they manufacture over 70 types of shaft for different weights and swings etc,and that's just in steel!. Claiming to control bend in a surfboard by wrapping a layer of "carbon Fiber" around the edge is right up there with the "power bracelet".

TheSUPShop
NSW, 15 posts
9 Oct 2010 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

unless you weight is well over 120kgs i highly doudt a 4 inch thick board is flexing at all especialy with all the 6oz cloth on it and them stiffening up the rails with carbon on them,this would create less flex again the carbon could help for strenght though and stiffness!

I am 80kg and are riding a 9'6x 30"x 4" and I can feel the flex and recoil of the board. It dosent flex like some of the mal skateboards that you can get, it's very suttle but equates to that "little extra" that you get coming out of your turns espically your bottom turn which is the most important of all.
We are not saying that this technology is going to change SUP boards for ever, it's just another option for riders, some people will love it and some people will hate it. I came from a shortboard background and have ridden Fiber Flex boards is the past and have always preferred the feel of my traditional PU shortboard. But ridding the Fiber Flex in a SUP I was blown away and will probably never look back. As I said in a pervious post " you can't knock it until you try it" so maybe rather than sitting behind your computer "trying to get your head around it etc" you go out and demo one for yourself, what do you have to loose, other than your narrow mindnes?

lookielookie
QLD, 347 posts
9 Oct 2010 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

log man said...

TheSUPShop said...

log man said...

Dont knock it until you try it logman...........if Tom Carroll, Casso and Matt Grainger all give it the "thumbs up", there must be something and not just marketing hype!

I'm not doubting you've got a good surf shape . I'm doubting that a board 4 inches thick and 2 and a half feet wide can be made to bend in a controlled fashion. Simply by stating that it's "carbon fiber" (and why is that better than glass fibre?) doesn't mean a thing. What is the deflection under load? what is the load? ,I'm 95kg ,will it work for me?are there say, 3 or 4 boards with different lay ups for different weights?, if there aren't how do you expect to to get the correct deflection. here's a comparison, Tru Temper make shafts for golf clubs. they manufacture over 70 types of shaft for different weights and swings etc,and that's just in steel!. Claiming to control bend in a surfboard by wrapping a layer of "carbon Fiber" around the edge is right up there with the "power bracelet".

its not a pop out!!! its not covered in car paint.theres two layers of cloth on the deck, one on the bottom. its 9' long. turn your board upside down, stand on it and see how much it bounces. thats flex
Foam flexes, carbons rigid, theres bound to be a ping in there somewhere.
there not launching the board into space, there not making unfound comments. A two time world champion says it flexes and its one of the best stand up hes ridden!!!
not much more really needs to be said about it...

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
9 Oct 2010 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

thesupshop did you just say im narrow minded? good on you mate you tool, so sorry to question something on a public forum. Guess i hit a sore spot.
But whatever i really dont want to get into a debate here so go flexyourself

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
10 Oct 2010 1:44AM
Thumbs Up

lookielookie said...

log man said...

TheSUPShop said...

log man said...

its not a pop out!!! its not covered in car paint.theres two layers of cloth on the deck, one on the bottom. its 9' long. turn your board upside down, stand on it and see how much it bounces. thats flex
there not launching the board into space, there not making unfound comments. A two time world champion says it flexes and its one of the best stand up hes ridden!!!

That's got to be the limpest defence I've ever heard.

lookielookie
QLD, 347 posts
10 Oct 2010 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

woodyjacksurfboards.blogspot.com/

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
10 Oct 2010 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

thesupshop hey sorry to blow up just dont like being refered to as narrow minded when im far from it, but all good hey casso newy looks good and he is surfing well on it now hes even harder to beat

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
10 Oct 2010 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

lookielookie said...

Hey it really is a lovely board, but I'm with Logman and DTM, I can't see how there would be much flex in big thick SUP when merely bottom turning on a wave. Sure, turn it upside down on a hard surface and stand in the middle but that is not comparable to doing a bottom turn with your feet spread apart distributing the load is it?

I am curious about this, does anyone have any hard evidence that SUPS actually flex throught turns?

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
10 Oct 2010 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

goatman said...

lookielookie said...

Hey it really is a lovely board, but I'm with Logman and DTM, I can't see how there would be much flex in big thick SUP when merely bottom turning on a wave. Sure, turn it upside down on a hard surface and stand in the middle but that is not comparable to doing a bottom turn with your feet spread apart distributing the load is it?

I am curious about this, does anyone have any hard evidence that SUPS actually flex throught turns?

Cannot see how they would.
It looks like it needs more nose rocker too. Doggie and Goatman get their shortboard sups in more critical positions due to the rocker IMHO

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
11 Oct 2010 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

Doggie and Goatman get their shortboard sups in more critical positions due to the rocker IMHO

Might be due to the talent of the rider too.

TheSUPShop
NSW, 15 posts
11 Oct 2010 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

thesupshop hey sorry to blow up just dont like being refered to as narrow minded when im far from it, but all good hey casso newy looks good and he is surfing well on it now hes even harder to beat

All good DTM, I wasn't directing my "narrow mindedness" comment to you I was replying to your comment and just got on a roll (or rant).

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
11 Oct 2010 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

hilly said...

Doggie and Goatman get their shortboard sups in more critical positions due to the rocker IMHO

Might be due to the talent of the rider too.

Under selling yourself a little there Casso

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
11 Oct 2010 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

goatman can hardly turn if it wasnt for me your right hilly!
ive seen him on a well known pop out brand in good surf and well it was strange almost funny to watch the guy get fustrated with not being able to surf well

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
11 Oct 2010 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Don't know if anybody here has surfed firewire surfboards but you can definetly feel a bit of flex on the standard surfboard shapes that are normal thickness but the thicker retro fish/hybred boards i dont think flex at all. Great boards the dominators,el feugo etc but not much flex to me. Now they are less than 3 inches thick with balsa rails and 4 oz cloth so I would doubt you could get a 4 inch thick sup to flex with the constuction used on the anderson. just a wanky name. nice shape, could do with more rocker.but may work ok on small waves.

lookielookie
QLD, 347 posts
13 Oct 2010 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

I cant believe you guys dont think a stand up flexes. that blog spot i posted of woodys stated he had too much flex!!
3 ex pro surfers (not windsurfers)are saying the "simon's"flex..
Is FLEX the wrong word? if so, i get a TWANG out of my boards (not FF)..
If you wanted a measured result, how many variables are you going to consider. weight /ability shape/rocker/foil and volume of a board etc. And you will never get mother nature to give you a consistent testing ground for that sort of data. And would you be willing to pay an additional $500 a board to pay for the research results??
Various grades of foam, concentrated patches of glass and weight in areas of the board/rail will have an affect on board performance.
I dont thnk theyre (FF) making any unfounded claims. i however would be looking at why the average golf haker would need to choose from a variety of 20 different shaft "flexes" to gain an extra 5' of distance. Nothings going to help my swing

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
14 Oct 2010 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

If it wasnt for windsurfers, you blokes would still be shaping 12kg sups in pu....

Hey, if you can feel the flex, great.

Some people rekon there "power balance" works.

cranky
440 posts
14 Oct 2010 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

lookielookie said...

I cant believe you guys dont think a stand up flexes. that blog spot i posted of woodys stated he had too much flex!!

In 30 years of surfing/windsurfing and now Sup I can honestly say the only board I have ever ridden that I could feel flex was the C4 inflatable. I'm not saying there isn't flex, I'm saying I have never felt it.

3 ex pro surfers (not windsurfers)are saying the "simon's"flex..
Is FLEX the wrong word? if so, i get a TWANG out of my boards (not FF)..
If you wanted a measured result, how many variables are you going to consider. weight /ability shape/rocker/foil and volume of a board etc. And you will never get mother nature to give you a consistent testing ground for that sort of data. And would you be willing to pay an additional $500 a board to pay for the research results??

I wouldn't be willing to pay anything because I'm not the one marketing the performance benefits of flex. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect R&D and hard data to substantiate the flex parameters.

In a hard bottom turn where you could be standing on the rear 3rd of the board and the forward 3rd of the board is out of the water - where is the flex going to be? How many millimetres of flex? if the rocker profile is changing is the flex even beneficial?

lookielookie
QLD, 347 posts
14 Oct 2010 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

you're going to have to direct all your tech questions to hayden, cause i really don't care if there's 1.75 mm of flex as opposed to 1.83 mm in the bottom 1/4 of my inside rail.
I imagine, cause i don't do it, that windsurfers would need to be quite rigid, depending on the discipline.
As far as surfboards go, in another life i had pro surfers chucking man tantrums about not having 1/16" "wax comb lines" on the bottom of there boards because they wanted it there to stiffen up. Id also have joe punter telling me that the 1/8" difference in ther board width just ruined their indo plans.
I think well have to agree to disagree on this topic.
or i might just want to give up on trying to convince you, cause all you West Oz folk ride pop outs any way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUUUURN, booyashaka..................

cranky
440 posts
14 Oct 2010 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

lookielookie said...

or i might just want to give up on trying to convince you, cause all you West Oz folk ride pop outs any way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Chinese buy all our iron ore so it's only right that we buy their pop outs

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
14 Oct 2010 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

There are some good pop outs around....
People go on and on about importing a few pop out surfboards, then go buy a local custom to make sure they do the auusie thing, then tie it on the roof of there imported car worth 100 x the value?

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
15 Oct 2010 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

lookielookie said...

Oh... well I don't ride a 'pop out' and as Scotty said there are some excellent ones around, but still think flex in a SUP is up there with the tooth fairy. I have not heard of any 'evidence' to suggest otherwise.

It's more likely your cheap plastic fins that are flexing!

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
15 Oct 2010 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

goatman said...

lookielookie
QLD, 347 posts
15 Oct 2010 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

goatman said...

lookielookie said...

My cheep plastic fins or yours.....Double booyashaka

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
15 Oct 2010 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hate to burst your bubble mate, but have swapped em out for some nice stiff Carbon beauties. Definately no flex there. I don't particularly want it either thanks.

Back on topic, I had a look at Casso's stick on the weekend and it was very nice - weight was good, surprisingly wide in the tail compared to the pics - pretty low volume rails. He surfed very very well on it in his first round, just didn't get waves in the semi.

lookielookie
QLD, 347 posts
15 Oct 2010 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

goatman said...

Hate to burst your bubble mate, but have swapped em out for some nice stiff Carbon beauties. Definately no flex there. I don't particularly want it either thanks.

Back on topic, I had a look at Casso's stick on the weekend and it was very nice - weight was good, surprisingly wide in the tail compared to the pics - pretty low volume rails. He surfed very very well on it in his first round, just didn't get waves in the semi.

I was hoping you were going to bite back...those fins have been annoying me for a long time. Im glad you put something in that complemented the quality of dans board. i was even going to send you a set of my favorites.

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
16 Oct 2010 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

I could really get started on this one. The windsurfer comments always get me going. I won't though, it's too nice a day outside.

Does a SUP flex? If you can flex it upside down on hard ground with 1 times gravity you would be surprised how many G's momentarily pass through a board in a turn. It's not how much the board flexes it's how it rebounds that you can or can't feel. Some boards feel alive, this is twang or rebound from the board and fins. If you don't think you are already feeling it make the same board twice with and without a stringer, make the same board again with a bamboo laminate. Then really kill it by making another and glassing it, putting a layer of divinycell, more glass and a kilo of car paint and see what happens. Your common sense tells you that these boards would all feel different. I think you are already feeling flex.

I was going to run the experiment of making the same board 3 times in 3 different constructions to demonstrate the differences of flex and performance, spoke to SUP World, had the materials and labour sponsored for free but never proceeded as the effort towards an apathetic market of people sold on mass produced boards really did not seem worth it.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
16 Oct 2010 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

I think if you put more time and effort into effective design it would pay off more than worrying about a couple of millimeteres of flex.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
17 Oct 2010 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

I think there is a lot of merit in flex goaty. Its worth while if you can find out a way of doing in on a 4 inch thick blank. Putting carbon on the rails aint it
I am with you at this stage, better concentrating on the shape.
It will take a major change in construction before we see it.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2011 Stand Sure 8'2" FiberFlex by Simon Anderson" started by Casso