Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2012 Coreban Sigma Range of Race Boards now here

Created by adsmcphail > 9 months ago, 6 Jun 2012
adsmcphail
WA, 16 posts
6 Jun 2012 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

They are here!!!!!
we have just unpacked and had our first ride on the new Coreban Race Boards.
Four in the new quiver

The 12'6" Vision - an all out BOP machine. Very impressed at how stable this thing is in a turn. lots of volume in a big square tail that means it almost launches out of the water when you step forward from a big turn. Very stable. A full displacement bow flows into a very flat rocker with sharp rails.

The 14' Edge will have just that. A super flat line throughout the board with a fine entry displacement bow and high volume all give excellent speed and stability. this is an all out race and distance machine.

The 14' Dart is a beyond compromise a down wind monster. A gentle rocker with good volume make for a super sized surfboard. The bow entry is enough to make sure you wont track and flows through to a broad stable bottom that will allow you to work the swell and hang onto the runners. The weight of the carbon version is just ridiculous. It is super stable making sure all your effort goes into catching the next runner, not staying upright.

The 14' Turbo. This is a cutting edge design, pushing the boundaries of what is possible. Don't think you'll jump on this and just bolt. It is a tippy board and will take a lot of getting used to. It's lines are severe and it is set up for straight line speed. If you are prepared to put the time in, it will reward you, but it will take time to master this all out speed machine. Everything about this board has been designed with one goal - go fast.

Board Bags. Coreban have gone all out to protect your race machine. All of the boards come with a top of the line bag. Heavy duty padding, handles everywhere, slots to match the fins in each board or put the fins in the fin pouch inside the bag. They even have a velcro flap so you can access the air valve without having to take the board out of the bag. They figure if you are going to have one of these you should look after it.

If you are in West Australia and want to try one of these out, contact Jason and Sonya at West Oz BoardSports (south of the river) or Darren and Todd at Standup Paddle Perth (north of the River) to arrange a demo paddle - it is worth the effort.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
6 Jun 2012 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Lovin' the look of that Dart.. .. Thanks for the pictures.

DJ

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
6 Jun 2012 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

In Melb when?

Shayne86
WA, 189 posts
6 Jun 2012 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

the black and red looks mean!!! Love it!

Jradedmondo
NSW, 635 posts
6 Jun 2012 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

i reckon that these boards look the goods, would love to demo them

Jarryd

Shayne86
WA, 189 posts
6 Jun 2012 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

i need that 12'6" in my life

Anyone know how much these will set me back? I cant find any pricing online

SHQ
VIC, 322 posts
Site Sponsor
6 Jun 2012 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

We have a demo Dart 14 in red/black carbon kevlar coming in 3 weeks time. Will post on here when it arrives.

adsmcphail
WA, 16 posts
7 Jun 2012 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

The 12"6 Vision will set you back:

$2090 in the pure version (as pictured above),
$2475 in either the Carbon/Kevlar (Red Carbon), or Full Carbon versions
There are some on there way and will be here in August.
Numbers are limited so if you really want one in the west, see West Oz or Standup Paddle Perth and get them to hold one for you.
As mentioned before either of them can sort out a demo for you.

scottakasid
NSW, 19 posts
8 Jun 2012 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Man they look fast!! Can i have one please Santa????

Paulselec
NSW, 76 posts
8 Jun 2012 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Got my 12'6 ordered already.

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
10 Jun 2012 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Peeps,

Thanks to Ads, I had a chance to get down and have a paddle on the four new boards just before nicking off to Sydney. My very brief thoughts on each board.

14ft Dart in Carbon - This board is so light it defies belief! Although it's not meant to be a FW race board as such, it's damn fast on flat water and super stable. Lots of volume so it's great for bigger paddlers and easy to handle with the soft rails. This was one of my faves and will be an absolute Downwind monster, can't wait for a good stiff downwind breeze, it was just so effortless to accelerate and even small errors in stroke or footwork were easily compensated for with the speed and stability. I would expect a lot of peeps into DWing will snap these up.

14ft Edge in Pure - The Pure Edge was a tad heavy relative to the carbon/Kevlar boards but feels strong as an ox. The Edge is the first board I have paddled which I reckon would give my beloved 14ft Fanatic Flat Water a run for it's money. I pulled very quick speeds in flat water and reckon the carbon or C/Kevlar would be fast enough to win races pretty easily. Very deep in the bow and dead flat rocker means it's a little hard to get around buoys, but then it's not a BOP board. I loved the Edge and rate it highly.

14ft Turbo in C/Kevlar - This board is a bit of a handful. I found it hard to get up over a moderately fast pace due to the instability. I have no doubt that concerted training on the board would make it easier to handle so the full potential can be realized, but for me, in anything other than perfect flat water conditions, it was too much of a handful. It comes with 4 additional keel fins which really help with stability and subsequently, speed. It's a bit of a concept board and may well be crazy fast, but in the quick 20 minutes I paddled it, I couldn't make it work, but then again, there are a lot better paddlers than me.

12'6" Vision in Pure - The weight of the Pure construction aside, I found the Vision so amazingly stable that it became so quick around corners it almost through me off as I underestimated it's turning capability, it was fast! This board is all about stability and pure BOP racing. The thickness takes a little getting used to and you will likely need a paddle an inch longer than what you are used to to compensate for how far above the water your feet are, but it is a fun board, pity I couldn't test a Carbon or C/Kevlar board as I think the weight detracted from the speed which would be possible if it was a few kilos lighter. For heavier guys wanting a good easy BOP racer, you just found it. The volume on this board is ridiculous, especially in the tail!

Overall, the new Coreban Sigma series boards are amazing. Coreban have put together a really fast range of original designs. The four boards are very deifferent but all designed for different duty with exception of maybe Edge and Turbo (both Flat Water racers). Pretty easy to decide what will work for you.

Carbon weight is ridiculous but the full black carbon IMHO, may be a bit of a worry in terms of leaving it on the beach in the midday sun in high WA summer as I reckon you wouldn't be able to touch it after a few minutes in the heat. I'd source a Goretex ventplug otherwise delam may be an issue. C/Kevlar would be my pick for durability and less hassle if you don't need the crazy weight of full Carbon. Pure boards would be wicked as cruisers, still fast shape and can take a knock.

Stoked on the new boards. Can't wait to get stock quantity!

DM

windup
NSW, 204 posts
11 Jun 2012 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

How wide is the Dart.

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
11 Jun 2012 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

^^
29 7/8" and 305L

ASL
NSW, 7 posts
11 Jun 2012 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Is this potentially a good board for the Murray? I am talking about the edge. Is the carbon Kevlar strong enough for underwater obstacles of is the pure version the best?

ccarter
QLD, 76 posts
11 Jun 2012 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Nice how the sun just glistens off the Darts Deck can't wait till they hit the east coast:)

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
11 Jun 2012 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi ASL,

The Edge is a great flat water board for cruising or racing. If you are cruising, the Pure weight won't be an issue apart from when you carry it from the roof racks to the water. The flat rocker and very deep draft of the nose may be an issue if you are talking about running into semi submerged objects.

The nose is almost dead straight vertical so if you hit an immovable hard object, the board will stop dead. The nose of the board is probably the strongest part so impact damage wouldn't be a major issue I wouldn't think. Having said that, anything you are likely to just miss with the nose will definitely hit with the fin too. At normal paddling speeds, you should do no damage apart from superficial scrapes and chips. Hitting the hull skin would be an entirely different matter.

What do you expect to run into in the river? There are a few good boards for flat water. What characteristics are most important to you?

DM

ASL
NSW, 7 posts
12 Jun 2012 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

What does the pure weigh? 10-12 kg?

ASL
NSW, 7 posts
12 Jun 2012 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

The Murray and surrounding rivers have the occasional submerged tree!

djoblin
99 posts
25 Jun 2012 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

boom Cannot wait till these turn up in NZ!!!!

adsmcphail
WA, 16 posts
25 Jun 2012 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
if you are in WA and want a run on one of these boards come down to the SUPWA launch Sausage Sizzle this coming Saturday (30th) at 3pm. There is going to be a bit of a get together and demo day on.
Starboard and Coreban are both supporting SUPWA and will have boards for a try out. See you then,
Ads

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2012 Coreban Sigma Range of Race Boards now here" started by adsmcphail